As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About Movies

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    There's always that super long analysis of A.I. that makes you realize that the end is the most horrifying thing ever.

Do you have that? I seem to remember reading something like that but my Google-fu is failing me.

I did find this great two-part video essay, which uses visual motifs to arrive at a neat thematic dissection of the movie. In particular it points out how crucial the "second" ending is to the film's circular narrative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVG1hlGkfxE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkoFRk8LyE&feature=player_embedded

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    This has already been talked about pages ago, but I saw Chronicle over the weekend. Damn, what a fantastic movie.

I've also seen Hysteria, which was interesting, to say the least.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Avenger certainly haves the best screen Hulk.

Makes me want to play 'Hulk: Ultimate Destruction' again.

I have a theory as to why this is, based on having seen both Hulk movies and having read The Ultimates. I have not seen The Avengers yet, though.

My theory is that The Hulk is a terrible character, but an excellent plot device. In his own stories, Hulk has to carry the whole thing on his own, which fails because Hulk is an exceptionally simple, predictable character whose plot-line invariably goes "someone angers Hulk, Hulk smash" and because on the other hand Banner is an exceptionally angst-filled, predictable character whose emotional through-line invariably centers on misplaced guilt and oncoming rage. Neither character has any agency (Hulk is too stupid to move beyond stimulus/response and Banner is too weak to not succumb to his disease). The story ends up being an infinite werewolf movie, endlessly regurgitating the same tragedy over and over again until it's utterly meaningless and piss-poor entertainment to boot.

As a plot-device, however, it's terribly entertaining, whether Hulk is a weapon wielded by his friends or an omnipresent threat, like a were-tornado at the dinner table. As an object, to be manipulated or dodged, Hulk is both effective and interesting. As a character he's shit.

And Avengers is the best movie Hulk so far because (I assume) they mostly just use him as a plot device, and leave the dramatic weight for the other characters.

Am I on the right track, people who have seen it? Answer in the form of something non-spoilery, please.

At the risk of segueing from movies for a moment, there was an excellent Hulk storyline a few years back called Planet Hulk. Imagine if you made an adaptation of John Carter where you cast Hulk in the title role, and you've got the premise in a nutshell.

Yeah but that was good because it was it's own thing and not really part of the usual Marvel-verse shennanigans

.............which sort of proves your point. Hrm.

No.

It was a good story because it was well written. It just happened to be its own thing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I saw The Avengers the other night, and it was appalling.

It looked awful, the script was full of purple prose, the plot was not good, it had stupid plot advancement.

As Ross is wont to observe - the screenplay is the easiest and cheapest way to improve a movie, but somehow they didn't do this. Possibly because while Whedon probably isn't a rapist he definitely is an extremely limited writer.

It had the occasional laugh, but so many obvious gags fell flat. The action was interesting enough and I was quite pleased that it didn't at all involve people being depowered as a substitute for an interesting climax, but the fact that no one died, at all during the climax was obvious and comical and really made the whole thing seem something of a joke. There were more than a few pointless scenes/overexplanations/reexplanations of previous scenes. I will give it credit that Scar-Jo and Hawkeye were incorporated in a way that wasn't too straining - but there were some extremely naff scenes of Johansson cocking her tiny peashooter guns while the Hulk hulks and Iron Man irons. Captain America was bland as cardboard and their attempts to cast him in a leadership role really underscored the fact that he's just a really strong dude with a shield. Thor was painful to listen to and looked ridiculous (though, to be fair, no more so than Captain America's stupid costume).

If it weren't for the always incredible Downey Robot Jr. it would have been unwatchable.

The sting/post credits bit was a hint of more terrible to come.

What the hell was the point of Robin Scherbatsky? They would have lost nothing if they had have cut her.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I, um...

Huh.

Interesting.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular

I have a theory as to why this is, based on having seen both Hulk movies and having read The Ultimates. I have not seen The Avengers yet, though.

My theory is that The Hulk is a terrible character, but an excellent plot device. In his own stories, Hulk has to carry the whole thing on his own, which fails because Hulk is an exceptionally simple, predictable character whose plot-line invariably goes "someone angers Hulk, Hulk smash" and because on the other hand Banner is an exceptionally angst-filled, predictable character whose emotional through-line invariably centers on misplaced guilt and oncoming rage. Neither character has any agency (Hulk is too stupid to move beyond stimulus/response and Banner is too weak to not succumb to his disease). The story ends up being an infinite werewolf movie, endlessly regurgitating the same tragedy over and over again until it's utterly meaningless and piss-poor entertainment to boot.

As a plot-device, however, it's terribly entertaining, whether Hulk is a weapon wielded by his friends or an omnipresent threat, like a were-tornado at the dinner table. As an object, to be manipulated or dodged, Hulk is both effective and interesting. As a character he's shit.

And Avengers is the best movie Hulk so far because (I assume) they mostly just use him as a plot device, and leave the dramatic weight for the other characters.

Am I on the right track, people who have seen it? Answer in the form of something non-spoilery, please.

At the risk of segueing from movies for a moment, there was an excellent Hulk storyline a few years back called Planet Hulk. Imagine if you made an adaptation of John Carter where you cast Hulk in the title role, and you've got the premise in a nutshell.

Yeah but that was good because it was it's own thing and not really part of the usual Marvel-verse shennanigans

No.

It was a good story because it was well written. It just happened to be its own thing.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I have a thing for not liking shared universe type of BS :P

In related news, I just finished watching Iron Man 2 and actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    So you're sayign it couldn't be done right? Since it's basically the Jekyll and Hyde story in three colors, I have to disagree. It may not have been done well on film yet, but it could be.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Aw man, I was not that excited about Wheadon doing the script, and now I'm worried. Hmph.

Oh well, if it does well Guardians of the Galaxy might be next, and seeing Rocket Raccoon on screen will fix everything.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis is right, i dont share the rage hate hes got going on for it but hes right, its a fun ride but thats about it.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, maybe he worded it a bit strongly, but it's certainly not God's gift to the movie fan, which some would have you believe.

It's entertaining, but that's all it is - which is perfectly fine, to me. It didn't need to be anything else, but then I don't have any emotions invested in it.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's not gods gift to movies, and yeah there are a lot of holes you can poke in it.

But it's a very good superhero movie. Certainly the best I've seen, except of The Dark Knight, which goes on the overall 'good movies' list. I rate it over Batman Begins or Iron Man.

I did like the 'Whedonesque' jokes. I liked how Cpt. America spent much of the movie out of his element, then really grew into the final fight. I really like how the plot contrived to give each hero a challenge that was approriate to their strengths and weaknesses. Bruce Banner was great and nervous. The Hulk was used just enough, kicking ass and being terrifying, having the two funniest moments in the movie. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man was great. I'm a bit meh on Thor, writing a convincing aliengod viking man is apparently not easy and both his lines and his motivations are a bit shaky. Loki is just great.

The start of the movie wasn't that great, especially the first action scene which just didn't seem exciting.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    So you're sayign it couldn't be done right? Since it's basically the Jekyll and Hyde story in three colors, I have to disagree. It may not have been done well on film yet, but it could be.

It's not Jekyll and Hyde because Jekyll was entirely responsible for his predicament, which was a product of and metaphor for his moral hypocrisy. And because Hyde is evil, not just dangerous. The fantastical element is there because Jekyll is flawed, and Jekyll's horror at Hyde's actions are what prompt him to try and change.

Banner comes to his situation accidentally, and the only two places the story can go ("Banner slowly learns to control his emotions and stop Hulking out" and "Hulk smash") are not only diametrically opposed but the fanbase has a clear and stupid favorite.

Bruce Banner tends to go angsty because he's by nature put-upon--he didn't ask to be Hulk, it's not his fault that he can't be with his girlfriend or that Daddy Military is always on his case or that dudes keep showing up with versions of his Hulk-ness. So his natural responses are to get sad and pissed off. He's basically "Teenage Mood-Swing" the character. Until you alter the story so that he has responsibility for his situation, it's like I said, a werewolf movie that never actually ends.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I've also seen Hysteria, which was interesting, to say the least.

I've been wanting to see this. I think The Road to Wellville is a very funny film, and this sounds like it's coming from the same sorta place.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

No.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I have a thing for not liking shared universe type of BS :P

In related news, I just finished watching Iron Man 2 and actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

The Hulk was a plot device in "Planet Hulk". The action played off of him and the story revolved around him, but not because he was the protagonist and his character arc was important, but because his presence was important to all the other actual characters.

Also, the end was bad.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

No.

The Hulk was a plot device in "Planet Hulk". The action played off of him and the story revolved around him, but not because he was the protagonist and his character arc was important, but because his presence was important to all the other actual characters.

Also, the end was bad.

The ending pissed me off so bad you have no idea

We would have gotten a better narrative if Marvel didn't do the usual "welp, bring him back into the fray!" nonsense that they always do, because the story must always go on or they don't make money :evil:

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Nothing to Declare is a good French film that is 75% comedy, 25% by the books enemies become friends story.

It takes place along the France/Belgium border around Christmas 1993, when come the new year, the Eurozone arrangement makes the customs checkpoint (and businesses) between the borders irrelevant. You have this one super nationalistic Belgian officer, who has some of the best logic about why Belgium is great and the logic behind everything upwards is within Belgium's borders, and this French officer who has been secretly dating the belgian guys sister for a year, because the entire family is all gung ho on belgium. And of course these two decide to be the experimental trial cross country traveling border patrol officers. Along the way you have drug trafficking hijinks, a struggling restaurant that lived on border crossing wait times, and some good beligum/france jokes. The only bad thing about the film is that it has a completely unnecessary sex scene that is about 10 seconds where they show titties. I get a feeling that because the film was also written by the guy playing the french officer he wanted to include the scene just so he could grab some belgian pastries, know what I'm saying? Other than that scene, it's a fun movie, and has some genuinely funny stuff in it.

• Options
    It is interesting how a big movie can get a staggering 'Cures Cancer' rating, and then, somehow can become damning by merely being exceptionally well done except for a few noticeable flaws.

That was generally my feelings on The Raid. I thought it was going to make Die Hard look like a trip to the grocers' based on the trailer and the buzz. It was pretty damn good, don't get me wrong. But it is not better than Die Hard. It doesn't unseat champions. It does its own thing, most of the time quite well.

It's like a movie should be reviewed twice, once on the basis of hype before seeing it, and once for the viewing of it, and put them together to make that a fraction or something-because Hype does impair your ability to enjoy a thing, and that's something that deserves to be factored into an audience's perceptions and prejudice when they speak their mind about it afterwards.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I don't recall The Raid ever being put on the level of Die Hard.

Every review I've read about it says "It's really good action, but that's it. If you go in expect that then you will leave with a smile on your face."

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, then that was my hype level going in.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Just saw Redline tonight and it was ammmmmmmaazing.

Just so balls crazy.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I really liked the raid, my only complaint with it would be
    The last mad dog fight. It felt overly long and like it disregarded most of the fight rules the rest of the movie had established. The rest of the movie felt relatively grounded and extremely brutal, while this fight felt like a throwback to older action movie fights. It was jarring to me.

I loved the end of it,
    how they kept track of the rounds in the revolver. After he the lieutenant shot the cop I started mentally counting the shots fired and really, really hoped that they would have a purpose. I was not disappointed.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Peter Jackson says 48 fps is fine, guys, what's the big deal and that "it's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs" because he is apparently unaware that vinyl is far superior in most ways.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    can you list the ways that actually apply to humans listening to music?

edit - without the words "warm" and "natural"

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Just so balls crazy.

Is this worth just buying blind? I keep eyeing it because I heard the blu-ray is absolutely stunning to see and hear. I'm a fan of one-off anime films and not big series, does this fall in that category or is there a tv series or anything that predates it?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    vinyl fetishism is about as credible as the dudes who think gold A/V cables make electricity go faster

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    vinyl fetishism is about as credible as the dudes who think gold A/V cables make electricity go faster

Copper is a better conductor anyhow, gold is just more corrosion-resistant

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

Just so balls crazy.

Is this worth just buying blind? I keep eyeing it because I heard the blu-ray is absolutely stunning to see and hear. I'm a fan of one-off anime films and not big series, does this fall in that category or is there a tv series or anything that predates it?

I bought it blind and am not disappointed. It is a one-off movie, don't believe there is any series that the movie follows up on.

I only just started watching one-off anime films and am becoming a big fan of them, need to start looking into some more one-offs to get.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    So I just watched Ip Man. It is a good movie with some really good martial arts scenes but man is it ever blatant pro-Chinese propaganda or what? Like, pretty much the only thing that has to do with the real guy is the name and that he practiced Wing Chun. Everything else they changed to give it the best possible nationalist message which is really just creepy considering that the modern government is the one that chased him out of the country.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Sword of the Stranger is fun stuff and has amazing animation.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    I seem to be thoroughly underwhelmed with the official Dark Knight Rises trailer.

I'm sure it will be at least okay, and probably pretty good, but I'm finding myself unable to relate to the excitement that so many people seem to have about it.

!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    So I just watched Ip Man. It is a good movie with some really good martial arts scenes but man is it ever blatant pro-Chinese propaganda or what? Like, pretty much the only thing that has to do with the real guy is the name and that he practiced Wing Chun. Everything else they changed to give it the best possible nationalist message which is really just creepy considering that the modern government is the one that chased him out of the country.

Yeah, he was basically a drug addict who was good at martial arts. The movie is Shaolin Soccer-levels of fantasy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I seem to be thoroughly underwhelmed with the official Dark Knight Rises trailer.

I'm sure it will be at least okay, and probably pretty good, but I'm finding myself unable to relate to the excitement that so many people seem to have about it.

It's not really that great of a trailer. It doesn't give a sense of what the movie's actually about and is basically a collection of short images under the sort of vague, portentous dialogue that occasionally crops up to annoy me in Nolan movies.

That doesn't necessarily say anything about the actual quality of the movie, though.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »

Yeah, he was basically a drug addict who was good at martial arts. The movie is Shaolin Soccer-levels of fantasy.

Man I didn't know that. I liked that movie too.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Have they ever explained why they didn't use Chicago as Gotham this time around?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Have they ever explained why they didn't use Chicago as Gotham this time around?

I haven't really been following the movie so that is disappointing to hear.

• Options

I haven't really been following the movie so that is disappointing to hear.

They're using the Trump Tower in NYC as a stand-in for Wayne Enterprises, but Pittsburgh is "Gotham" for some reason. It wasn't a money issue, Illinois has a higher film tax credit than Pennsylvania, and the Chicago film board wasn't ever told why, just that they weren't using Chicago.

I'm honestly having trouble getting as excited about the third one as I was about the first two. Something just feels... off about it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

It's not really that great of a trailer. It doesn't give a sense of what the movie's actually about and is basically a collection of short images under the sort of vague, portentous dialogue that occasionally crops up to annoy me in Nolan movies.

That doesn't necessarily say anything about the actual quality of the movie, though.

my excitement has zero to do with the trailer. the trailer just reminds me that I'm excited for the movie coming out and that it's getting closer

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Maybe they used Pittsburgh instead this time just to give the movie a different visual flair than the last two. As far as how they'll justify it in-canon, maybe we're dealing with a different part of Gotham.

When you have practically unlimited resources like Nolan does, it makes sense to use a different but similar enough looking city to make the movie as unique as possible.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

my excitement has zero to do with the trailer. the trailer just reminds me that I'm excited for the movie coming out and that it's getting closer

Right, yeah, that's how it is with me too. The actual content of the trailer is whatever.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This isn't specifically about movies, but for those of you who haven't seen, Kevin Spacey does some awesome impersonations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k&feature=related[/youtube]

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.