Hello, you may now embed "gifv" simply by pasting the link (same as youtube). Enjoy!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    Somedude wrote: »
    Just picked up A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
    Read some of it in High School, but now I think it's time that I gave it a fair chance.

That's one of go to books when I'm boarding a plane and have to turn my Nook off. It's engrossing and you can never read it enough.

• geardropsgeardrops Registered User
    Read books 1 and 2 in Holly Black's Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Glove) and now I'm reading Black Heart :) Magic and crime families and con men. Awesome series.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I did end up quitting Quicksilver. I just couldn't take it anymore. I also finished The Wise Man's Fear. There's no doubt that it's a flawed book, with a story that seems to go everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. I don't know what it is about these books, but despite everything wrong with them, they're just so fun to read. Can't wait for Part 3.

Just started World Without End on audiobook (after finishing The Pillars of the Earth, which was surprisingly great), and also started Ghost Story by Peter Straub last night. I'm hoping to move to a good epic Sci-Fi novel next, something new-ish if possible. Anyone have any recommendations?

• thesandmanthesandman Registered User
    The snows of Kiliminjaro by Hemingway. Short story collection that really makes you feel. I always felt Hemingway was a writer to make less-with-more, that is to say he may not have written many words but the content is immense both emotionally and in contribution to the story. I really recommend it, even if you only read the first story which is of the same name.

Outnumbered? Outgunned? Outclassed? Hmm, they're learning.
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Finally got around to reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I loved. Can't wait to pick up the next book!

Next up on my list is Ice Land by Betsy Tobin, which I picked up on a whim. Then I've got book five of Temeraire waiting for me!

• joshgotrojoshgotro Bloat much? Cincinnati, OhioRegistered User regular
    Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Shameful I don't know the authors name but Hyperion has been great since page 1.

0QA6SRd.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Currently reading the Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan. Has kind of a classic fantasy feel, done right. Well done character development, interesting plot, etc.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I finally finished the third volume of 1Q84 after putting it off for a long time.

Well, to make this short, the novel fell apart in the last few chapters. I'm bummed out. And it was so good...

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Currently reading the Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan. Has kind of a classic fantasy feel, done right. Well done character development, interesting plot, etc.

I finished them up about a week after starting the first book. Overall, the series was very good. The last book as a bit weaker than the others. The lead characters were interesting and the plot had just enough false nods to keep you guessing a bit. However, the end plot "twist" was pretty choreographed.

• liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    Dan Simmons is the author of Hyperion. I realize you all know that, but it needed to be filled in, because.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
    I wasn't able to get into Hyperion at all, for some reason.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Bloat much? Cincinnati, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wasn't able to get into Hyperion at all, for some reason.

My interest has fallen off with The Consul's Tale. I believe it's the last chapter.

joshgotro on
    0QA6SRd.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Had a slump recently. Finally getting into "Distrust that Particular Flavor"

Man. Gibson can write.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I'm reading through A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick now. (Thanks, H/A!) It's pretty brilliant. The paranoia of the protagonist is portrayed really well and the drug trips are deliciously surreal.

I'm about to get started on Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep too. I love me some Film Noir. It's high time I started reading literature that influenced it.

EVOL wrote: »
    I'm reading through A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick now. (Thanks, H/A!) It's pretty brilliant. The paranoia of the protagonist is portrayed really well and the drug trips are deliciously surreal.

I'm about to get started on Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep too. I love me some Film Noir. It's high time I started reading literature that influenced it.

Chandler's aces.

Just don't worry too much about keeping track of the plot. He didn't either.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Recently finished: The Hobbit, World War Z and The first two books in The Hunger Games trilogy, working on the third now. After that i plan on re-reading a book that i read high school called Bodega Dreams by Ernesto Quinonez.

|| 3DS FC: 0130-2747-6369 ||
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The Hobbit is so fucking good. So delightful to read. I wish all his other books were as good an experience.

Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    camo_sig2.png
    The Hobbit is so fucking good. So delightful to read. I wish all his other books were as good an experience.

After reading it I bought the LOTRO trilogy in one book, worst idea ever. The book is so daunting to read and he describes every damn blade of grass or hobbit hill in such great detail...

LotR (the O is only for the MMO ;)) has a very dear place in my heart, and it was very important to me during my teenage years.
    The world building is unmatched. Even people who do it better or different today, do it because of LotR. Most, if not all Fantasy books are either following LotR or rebelling against it. Few manage to ignore it.

But the book is kinda ponderous and dry. Not bad, to me, but it lacks all the whimsy and joy and fluidity and music I found in The Hobbit. The shorter book is also unburdened with responsibility, being much more closer to legends and oral storytelling than the longer one. LotR has a job, it's a serious record of a very serious war that happened during a very serious time, and that record will be the true version for posterity.

The Hobbit is a nice tale about a funny little guy who goes on an adventure, there and back again..
    Shit, I tear up just remembering how good that book makes me feel.

Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2012
    LotR (the O is only for the MMO ;)) has a very dear place in my heart, and it was very important to me during my teenage years.
    The world building is unmatched. Even people who do it better or different today, do it because of LotR. Most, if not all Fantasy books are either following LotR or rebelling against it. Few manage to ignore it.

But the book is kinda ponderous and dry. Not bad, to me, but it lacks all the whimsy and joy and fluidity and music I found in The Hobbit. The shorter book is also unburdened with responsibility, being much more closer to legends and oral storytelling than the longer one. LotR has a job, it's a serious record of a very serious war that happened during a very serious time, and that record will be the true version for posterity.

The Hobbit is a nice tale about a funny little guy who goes on an adventure, there and back again..
    Shit, I tear up just remembering how good that book makes me feel.

Lol so used to talking about the MMO. I really enjoyed the Hobbit, i felt like it was such a complete story/adventure even if only 300 pages. After the next few books i told myself id re-read A Song of Ice and Fire series but i was interested in some of the books RR Martin was inspired by like The Once and Future King.

I also saw this book "Unholy Night" written by the same author who wrote "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and thought it sounded interesting.
    153331502.JPG
    They're an iconic part of history's most celebrated birth. But what do we really know about the Three Kings of the Nativity, besides the fact that they followed a star to Bethlehem bearing strange gifts? The Bible has little to say about this enigmatic trio. But leave it to Seth Grahame-Smith, the brilliant and twisted mind behind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to take a little mystery, bend a little history, and weave an epic tale.

In Grahame-Smith's telling, the so-called "Three Wise Men" are infamous thieves, led by the dark, murderous Balthazar. After a daring escape from Herod's prison, they stumble upon the famous manger and its newborn king. The last thing Balthazar needs is to be slowed down by young Joseph, Mary and their infant. But when Herod's men begin to slaughter the first born in Judea, he has no choice but to help them escape to Egypt.

It's the beginning of an adventure that will see them fight the last magical creatures of the Old Testament; cross paths with biblical figures like Pontius Pilate and John the Baptist; and finally deliver them to Egypt. It may just be the greatest story never told.

Triiipledot on
    Solely based on the cover (and the general concept it inspires), my first thought was how dumb that looks.

Now though, after reading the synopsis, I have to admit that I will totally read that book.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    Solely based on the cover (and the general concept it inspires), my first thought was how dumb that looks.

Now though, after reading the synopsis, I have to admit that I will totally read that book.

The cover is what drew me to that book, liked the art style. After reading it was the same author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (never read but want to) and the small blurb about it i was sold. Not religious at all but thought it interesting to take a bible story like that and change it into something crazy different.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

The cover is what drew me to that book, liked the art style. After reading it was the same author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (never read but want to) and the small blurb about it i was sold. Not religious at all but thought it interesting to take a bible story like that and change it into something crazy different.

If you like that idea you should read Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's a hilarious and cool look at the life of Jesus covering the years that aren't covered in the Bible.
    oddly I am reading this...i am not too impressed

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

If you like that idea you should read Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's a hilarious and cool look at the life of Jesus covering the years that aren't covered in the Bible.

Christopher Moore is awesome. I haven't read Lamb yet, but I've read a couple of his other books that have all been hilarious.

• D-DocD-Doc Registered User regular
    I'm reading a best-of collection by Robert E. Howard. Great stories with excellent action, and some very twisted moments here and there.

He's really good, yeah.

camo_sig2.png
  • RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I finished that last round and then some, now I'm reading: Ray Bradbury Stories Vol. 1, Churchill, and Tales from the White Hart.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Feast of crows, the fourth book of Song of Ice and Fire, I've been hooked on the Song of Ice and Fire book series since last summer.

76561198004630058.png
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I just started reading some of the diskworld books. I am reading Equal Rites at the moment and I find it an enjoyable easy read.

camo_sig2.png
  • KingVileKingVile Registered User
    I've been reading the Dresdan Files books, on book 3 now. Im kinda pissed it took me so long to get into them, these books are more addictive than crack!

Feast of crows, the fourth book of Song of Ice and Fire, I've been hooked on the Song of Ice and Fire book series since last summer.

finished all 5 last year, almost reread the first one but got distracted with another book. Reading Bodega Dreams by Ernesto Quinoez now, read it when i was a teenager and wanted to remember why i enjoyed it so much.

World Without End was good, as expected. Not as good as Pillars, but good. That Ken Follett knows how to spin a ripping good yarn. Ghost Story was great too. I loved the way the entire story felt just ever so slightly disconnected from reality all the way through. I'll need to check out more of Peter Straub's work.

Now reading American Psycho and Iron Butterflies Rust, and my current audiobook is Day by Day Armageddon. I'm on a bit of a horror kick.

American Psycho is an interesting book. Some parts of it are reaaally tedious.

I'm reading Royal Assassin now and I'm really enjoying it!

Just started on Excession. My first Banks, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Then again, I'm a bit of a sucker for well written smug super-intelligent AI.

• setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    Just finished off Dust and Shadow, an excellent piece of Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper fiction. Now starting Railsea, Mieville's latest.

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Just started on Excession. My first Banks, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Then again, I'm a bit of a sucker for well written smug super-intelligent AI.

I keep meaning to go back and read more of the Culture novels. Surface Detail was fantastic.

A friend sent me this list, dying for something new to read. Has anyone read any of these books? Im looking for something fantasy to get into...
    http://io9.com/5876715/10-great-fantasy-series-to-read-while-youre-waiting-for-george-rr-martins-next-book

edited May 2012
    A run down of that list, in my opinion:
    Spoiler:

For my money, if you're following the heading of that article and want something similar to GRRM, I would honestly read Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Tales. The Song of Ice and Fire series has a lot more in common with historical fiction than with fantasy, honestly, and I just don't think you can get better historical fiction than Cornwell. A lot of modern fantasy authors are trying to take a page out of GRRM's book, but more often than not you end up with shallow imitations and worlds with a lot of complexity but no depth.

Edit: And to sum up, from that list, I would most recommend you read The Farseer Trilogy if you want a largely character focused series, The Name of the Wind if you want witty dialogue and great world building, and Brent Weeks if you want fast pacing and great characters.

VanityPants on
    A run down of that list, in my opinion:
    Spoiler:

For my money, if you're following the heading of that article and want something similar to GRRM, I would honestly read Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Tales. The Song of Ice and Fire series has a lot more in common with historical fiction than with fantasy, honestly, and I just don't think you can get better historical fiction than Cornwell. A lot of modern fantasy authors are trying to take a page out of GRRM's book, but more often than not you end up with shallow imitations and worlds with a lot of complexity but no depth.

Edit: And to sum up, from that list, I would most recommend you read The Farseer Trilogy if you want a largely character focused series, The Name of the Wind if you want witty dialogue and great world building, and Brent Weeks if you want fast pacing and great characters.

Thanks for the reviews, that was very helpful on choices for next book. Gonna send a link to this thread to friend who sent me the list.