As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Usual lamb stuff really.

Rosemary.
    Thyme
    Mustard.

Garlic obvs

Slightly different is parsley chives and mustard.

Make a nice mint sauce from scratch.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Do you have any amounts/instructions to go with those? This is our first time cooking lamb.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If its butterflied, (or you want to butterfly it) say

Half a head a garlic,
    Two tablespoons of rosemary
    Teaspoon of peppercorns
    Tablespoon? of salt
    Glug of oil.

Smash everything in a mortar and pestle, add thyme and a handfull of pine nuts and smear on the inside.

Roll, tie, Salt and pepper it, turn the oven on then wait for it to get to temperature, then smear with olive oil and pop it in the oven. Thread some rosemary sprigs through the string.

Be aware I just made this up on the spot.

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    I would use pistachios over pine nuts

That's a good idea.

Although if you are using pistachios you should also pair it with some sweet dried fruit like cranberries.

If you want a mint sauce.

A Big Handful of fresh mint.
    Raw sugar (or regular white)
    Red wine vinegar
    Olive oil

I can't remember the ratios for this, and to be honest it's personal. I like it minty and acidic, so I make it that way. Start off with all the mint and a tablespoon of everything else. Smash in the mortar and pestle, taste and adjust if necessary.

Oh and throw in half a teaspoon of salt.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Thanks! We'll see what the missus wants to do with it for dinner tomorrow. I'll definitely put your suggestion up for consideration!

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Butcher down the street from the new place was selling kangaroo meat the other day.

Hey, Australians, are we do you all a favor eating those things? Like, is there some kind of infestation that the American Hunger Machine is going to help cure?

Further, is it any good? Because shit was $24 a pound and I'm not about to drop that on some second rate marsupial meat.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I liked it when I ate it.

Wouldn't have the foggiest how to prepare it, though.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Nor would I. I'm not even sure if it was being sold as a steak or ground. Of course, if it was steak it can become ground, but not so much the other way.

I'll have to pop in and make friends with the guys behind the counter. It's right next to the local cured meat/cheese shop. Now to find a fish monger.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Kangaroo is really really really really lean, so you have to work hard to make sure it doesn't get dry. It's good though!
    Generally though you could just use it however you would use beef and it'd add a unique flavour.

Here's a site specifically for kangaroo recipes

But it is a pretty sustainable meat source, you're not allowed to farm kangaroos for meat, you have to shoot wild ones. But on the huge beef farms roos are over populated and a pest so the farmers shoot them for extra revenue.

kangaroo is a very lean meat so it wouldn't work very well as ground beef because it's easy to over cook, making it tough

personally I can't stand the shit, I think it smells like dog food

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've had it about 5 or 6 times. Only once or twice has it been bad.

speaking of sending meat off shore, apparently there is a big demand for camel meat in northern africa - something that we have an abundance of due to rapidly expanding feral populations

edited May 2012
    largest population of wild camels in the world

also, only place in there world where there's wild horses.

#pipe on
    I like it.

Buy it in steaks. Pop in on the barbecue, give it a rub with cardamom, juniper berries, pepper and salt and grill, rare as fuck, if you are with people who like well done meat, fucking lie. Tell them roo is a special meat or some bullshit.

Serve with a blueberry sauce.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    anyone got a decent slow cooker chicken casserole recipe?

#pipe wrote: »
    largest population of wild camels in the world

also, only place in there world where there's wild horses.

Dave I believe you meant to say Brumbies.

(I just like the word)

yeah that's the other thing

it goes amazingly with a sweet sauce. The best I've ever had it was grilled rare, sliced on a bed of spiced cous cous, topped with wild plum jam.

damn I've had some crappy roo

how did I miss out on these sorts of dishes?

I like it served with mash and asparagus.

it goes amazingly with a sweet sauce. The best I've ever had it was grilled rare, sliced on a bed of spiced cous cous, topped with wild plum jam.

Well, shit, I may just have to try it sometime.

Also, really? The only place in the world with wild horses? I mean, we have wild ponies, but I suppose that's different.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Well, shit, I may just have to try it sometime.

Also, really? The only place in the world with wild horses? I mean, we have wild ponies, but I suppose that's different.

I thought Mongolia was the only place with legit wild horses.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    So there is a restaurant in Chicago that will cook and carve an entire animal in front of me for my birthday. My options are as follows:

Pig
    Lamb
    Goat
    Wild Boar
    Alligator

I'm going to invite about 20-25 friends and ask them if anyone has a strong preference but if not, which one should I go for? There are no dipping sauces or anything...just straight up dead animal.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I know there are herds of wild mustangs in Nevada, Cali, and Arizona. Shit, I've been horseback in Ari and saw a stallion and 6 or so mares across a ridge. My quarter was like "Fuck no, I am not going that way" and turned around and hauled ass.

Bedigunz wrote: »
    So there is a restaurant in Chicago that will cook and carve an entire animal in front of me for my birthday. My options are as follows:

Pig
    Lamb
    Goat
    Wild Boar
    Alligator

I'm going to invite about 20-25 friends and ask them if anyone has a strong preference but if not, which one should I go for? There are no dipping sauces or anything...just straight up dead animal.

Do you know how it is going to be prepared?

Right now I'd say Wild Boar and not even hesitate.

Smoked? That's a guess because I had the pig once at a party and it tasted smokey:

http://www.thefrontierchicago.com/private-events/

Whole Animal Service is on the right. Alligator is new and based on market price.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Wild Boar

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Wild Boar, no hesitation

easysig2.jpg
    I was thinking that, just on the off chance I can take the tusks home (plus my friend's dad is a butcher and recommended it). Any thoughts to alligator or goat?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    smoked goat is amazing

smoked alligator I've not tried

easysig2.jpg
    Yea, don't eat them if Wild Boar is available.

Yea, don't eat them if Wild Boar is available.

Hey..hey Usagi...wild boar patte.

I've never had boar. Is it comparable to anything more common?

I was going to poll the friends I was going to invite but fuck it, it's my birthday and we're sacrificing the animal I want to sacrifice.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!

Oh yes, it will be mine. Again.

Usagi wrote: »

Oh yes, it will be mine. Again.

If they have it this time. Different selection each time!

I fed a vegetarian some chili today

it had beef and pork, for some reason they never asked if it was meatless, I guess they assumed?

yelling and stomping off in a huff was the result. Hey, you asked if you could have some, not what was in it.

tumblr_l14i0uy4tq1qbwdexo1_400.gif

easysig2.jpg
    I don't know about him but I assume default chili state to be "Meat"

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    If I was handed chili and it had no meat in it, I would have the same reaction as the vegan, so I guess I can understand...

This discussion has been closed.