Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

18485878990101

Posts

  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The Fire Nation is a monarchy. Power is inherited with firstborn sons taking priority. Since bending is partially genetic, that means a lot of the Royal Family will be benders. Nothing says bending is a requirement for the throne. Hell, we don't even know if Lu Ten was a bender or not.

    Yeah, actually. The avatar is highly respected, and not just cause she can shoot rocks and fireballs.

    What are the Equalists if not a glorified chi-blocking gang?

    We have seen no economic imbalance between benders and non-benders. We've seen plenty of rich non-benders and poor benders, and the other way around. We have seen high-ranking military non-benders. Everybody seemed to have worked this stuff out until Amon decided there was a problem.

    I believe everybody else has shown that the position of Firelord requires/required being a Firebender.

    Quire.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    yeah I missed those while I was typing that up

    regardless, Amon is still wrong

    1TkM2R.png


  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well yeah. He's the bad guy.

    But there probably is more then a little unfairness regarding Benders and non-benders.

    Quire.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    He might be wrong (he's the villain after all!), but he's not entirely wrong. Like any charismatic leader before him he's exploiting an already existing schism to his advantage. There's a fancy word of that in political science (the part that describes how political parties rise and fall). I just can't remember it.

    Honestly. I think the more interesting option is if Amon is right. Well intentioned extremists are the best extremists (but still villains). It also makes sense given the context. This is after all the Avatar version of the 1920s, a politically turbulent time (which in the real world featured commies and various fascist groups as the most prominent sources for political unrest).

  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    If his viewpoint could be shot down by pointing to a bunch of obvious examples (Which you have mainly come up with by saying "Well you can't say for sure that they ARE benders") it's not going to be very interesting.

    Apart from the exception that is Sato there really is a lot of Bender Privelege, which is different from oppression.

    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    If his viewpoint could be shot down by pointing to a bunch of obvious examples (Which you have mainly come up with by saying "Well you can't say for sure that they ARE benders") it's not going to be very interesting.

    Apart from the exception that is Sato there really is a lot of Bender Privelege, which is different from oppression.

    2/3 of the extant nations in the first series were led by non-benders. There were tons of non-bending characters on equal footing with other benders. The entire Southern Tribe including Sokka with the sole exception of Katara, Northern Chief, Earth King, Yu Yan Archers, Kyoshi Warriors including Suki, Ty Lee, Mai, Li and Lo, Zuko's mom, Piandao, Jet and his gang, Toph's parents, June, Mechanist and his followers, etc. etc.

    1TkM2R.png


  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Amon opinions
    Spoiler:

  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    Regarding Korra.. In season 2...
    Spoiler:

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

    Or that racism is over because we have a black president

  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Regarding Korra.. In season 2...
    Spoiler:

    I'm not sure why this would be the case because
    Spoiler:

  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

    Or that racism is over because we have a black president

    actually my argument is that bender-ism never existed in the first place

    Amon made it up

    1TkM2R.png


  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

    Or that racism is over because we have a black president

    actually my argument is that bender-ism never existed in the first place

    Amon made it up

    You're wrong though

  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

    Or that racism is over because we have a black president

    actually my argument is that bender-ism never existed in the first place

    Amon made it up

    But you're basing that on a handful of people out of an entire world population?

    At best he made it up the same way we have things like the myth of the welfare queen, or conspiracy theories about secret Muslims/Communists/whatever trying to take over the country

    But given the crowd at that rally, a lot of people certainly think there is a problem

    It's not unreasonable to think that stratification has intensified in the past decades

  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    I hope an Anti-Amon shows up

    fighting for the rights of the oppressed benders

    being forced to do dangerous jobs for ass pay for the fat cat non-bender elite

    1TkM2R.png


  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    -Tal wants the bending version of the Klan

  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The lightning bending example is really flawed.

    Saying that benders are doing this dirty job for Non-benders (is it ever stated the power stations are owned by non-benders, if you're thinking about Sato all I can find on him says he is all about the cars) proves that that there is no disparity is really silly.

    Every job exclusively done by benders, no matter how dangerous or tedious, means an entire profession that non-benders are completely cut off from.

    SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

    Or that racism is over because we have a black president

    actually my argument is that bender-ism never existed in the first place

    Amon made it up

    But you're basing that on a handful of people out of an entire world population?

    At best he made it up the same way we have things like the myth of the welfare queen, or conspiracy theories about secret Muslims/Communists/whatever trying to take over the country

    But given the crowd at that rally, a lot of people certainly think there is a problem

    It's not unreasonable to think that stratification has intensified in the past decades

    the bolded would be fair if there were stronger examples of "bender privilege" that weren't just inferences

    we're still early in Korra so maybe Amon's argument will be supported later on, but so far benders and non-benders seem to get along as well as they did in Avatar, and exist along varied socioeconomic lines just like they did in Avatar

    charismatic people have gotten supporters for bad ideas plenty of times in history, so I don't think the crowd alone is a good support for Amon's argument. If he was right, we'd see more non/bender conflict outside of Equalist fights. guys losing their jobs to benders and such. again, might happen later in the series.

    1TkM2R.png


  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    -Tal wants the bending version of the Klan

    come to me, ye huddled masses

    you see, all of your problems are actually caused by benders

    those big-nosed greedy benders

    1TkM2R.png


  • TankHammerTankHammer Extreme Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm thinking there has been a growing inequality between benders and non-benders and it'll be up to the protagonists to show the people of Republic City that there are ways to solve the issue that don't end in violence or the wiping-out of element-bending.

    TankHammer on
    4icmw.jpg TankHammer | huWRIjA.png Dear Satan | 2zivq6q.jpg
    yUApdW3.jpg
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

    Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Spoiler:

    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

    Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Spoiler:

    So?

    Telling people something doesn't mean they'll magically learn how to do it.


  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Those breathing thingies on their face?
    calling it: full of berserk-gas.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    we have regularly seen benders menacing non-benders

    it is a recurring theme on the show

    we have very rarely seen the opposite

  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

    Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Spoiler:

    So?

    Telling people something doesn't mean they'll magically learn how to do it.


    I'm not saying Ozai learned how to do it, but he now knows where to look, and can share that information. Give some idealist a goal and it wouldn't be impossible to find.


    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

    Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Spoiler:

    So?

    Telling people something doesn't mean they'll magically learn how to do it.


    I'm not saying Ozai learned how to do it, but he now knows where to look, and can share that information. Give some idealist a goal and it wouldn't be impossible to find.


    It IS impossible to find. The turtle is impossible to track and sentient. I don't think he's teaching anyone anything unless he wants to.

  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    my guess is the lion turtle spends most of his time, you know

    cruising in the spirit world

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    Also the 100 year long war with the fire nation that resulted in the extinction of one civilization and the near extinction of another would have never happened if bending weren't a thing

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    cruising in the spirit world

    ...and Trying to pick up lion-turtle ladies.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    See, this is why I want Korra to basically make a new elected council that actually represents Republic city. Because that would be beating Amon at his own game.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    we have regularly seen benders menacing non-benders

    it is a recurring theme on the show

    we have very rarely seen the opposite

    most of these examples are Equalist-related, who menace benders plenty

    the only one I can remember that isn't is the Triads hassling that shopkeeper, but that's just good old fashioned gangs abusing the weak and nothing specific to benders
    Also the 100 year long war with the fire nation that resulted in the extinction of one civilization and the near extinction of another would have never happened if bending weren't a thing

    it would have happened with swords and cannons instead

    1TkM2R.png


  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    it's good old fashioned gangs attacking the weak

    with

    their bending

    the weak

    who are weak because they have no bending

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    who are weak because they have no bending

    Some of them might have bending abilities. Just no combat training.

  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    man it's almost like you're saying that bending is this world's analogue of power and oppression, whether it be in the hands of common thugs or armies

    so

    you agree?

  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Skull Man wrote: »
    it's good old fashioned gangs attacking the weak

    with

    their bending

    the weak

    who are weak because they have no bending

    no, he is weak because he's an old man

    Sokka, Mai, Ty Lee have successfully fought against benders despite not being benders because they are not old people who don't know how to fight

    -Tal on
    1TkM2R.png


  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    all of those people were exceptionally trained warriors

    ty lee and mai learned their skills at the royal firebending academy for girls, probably not a lot of commoners in there

    and sokka spent most of the series at a combat disadvantage until he got a few lessons from the greatest swordfighter in the world

    these are not advantages available to common people

    it is ridiculous to say that these three outliers invalidate the idea that benders have a huge advantage in combat and use it

    Skull Man on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm quite sure the average shop owner doesn't have wrist crossbows, a boomerang, or the ability to block chi

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    3DS: 2251-4432-9039

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Damn right I like the life I live Cause I went from negative to positiveRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    man it's almost like you're saying that bending is this world's analogue of power and oppression, whether it be in the hands of common thugs or armies

    so

    you agree?

    it is the conflation of bending and power that is the problem. bending does not automatically give you power

    learning to bend takes as much effort as learning any other martial art takes, including chi blocking

    which is why stuff like the chi-blocking lessons would be awesome if they weren't explicitly associated with a terrorist organization that wants to eliminate all bending

    1TkM2R.png


  • Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    learning to bend takes as much effort but the return on that effort is much greater

    it's like you're saying hey this corporate executive works just as many hours and just as hard as this coal miner

    it is not the same

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    all of those people were exceptionally trained warriors

    ty lee and mai learned their skills at the royal firebending academy for girls, probably not a lot of commoners in there

    and sokka spent most of the series at a combat disadvantage until he got a few lessons from the greatest swordfighter in the world

    these are not advantages available to common people

    it is ridiculous to say that these three outliers invalidate the idea that benders have a huge advantage in combat and use it

    Sokka had some training from the Kyoshi warriors as well.
    That didn't help much though. Mainly because his adversaries after that tended to be "super bad ass warriors" (like Azulas Angels, Combustion Man etc).

    If we're going to demonstrate how weak non-bending is compared to bending. As the Blue Spirit Zuko kicked the ass of about a dozen fire warrior soldiers. Later in Zuko Alone he got his ass kicked by a single earthbending thug until he decided to go all "I am Prince Zuko of the fire nation Fear my wrath! RAAAR!".

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    we have regularly seen benders menacing non-benders

    it is a recurring theme on the show

    we have very rarely seen the opposite

    most of these examples are Equalist-related, who menace benders plenty

    the only one I can remember that isn't is the Triads hassling that shopkeeper, but that's just good old fashioned gangs abusing the weak and nothing specific to benders
    Also the 100 year long war with the fire nation that resulted in the extinction of one civilization and the near extinction of another would have never happened if bending weren't a thing

    it would have happened with swords and cannons instead

    The only reason the war broke out was because sozin's comet supercharged the firebenders

    Ain't no comet that supercharges swords

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
This discussion has been closed.