Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Document the Atrocities! The American Political Media

12324262829106

Posts

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    I'll take white supremacists over "totally not racist, really, I have a black friend" race scientists any day.

    Well you gotta have a couple black friends from the small pool of "intelligent and well-socialized blacks" to guard yourself against people accusing you of racism just because you say racist shit all the time.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I cannot tell if Mark Judge is serious or not. I assume he is serious, and he's seriously looking at the sky, wondering WHAT the hell it is exactly that keeps causing that "WOOSH" noise he hears on a near-daily basis.

    "The end of my White Guilt," wherein Mr Judge apparently assumes his bike MUST have been stolen by a black guy because ... there are blacks in the area? I am REALLY confused by this piece. I keep reading it, thinking I'm missing the part where the police find his bike being ridden by some devious-looking black man.

    It's the Daily Caller, thinking about it too hard is not a good idea.

    It might be satire, with the caricature of liberalism thrown in there randomly? Or it could just be typical racist bullshit published by a right wing website.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    I'll take white supremacists over "totally not racist, really, I have a black friend" race scientists any day.

    Well you gotta have a couple black friends from the small pool of "intelligent and well-socialized blacks" to guard yourself against people accusing you of racism just because you say racist shit all the time.

    but they're a rare commodity so snatch yours up quick

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Glenn Beck feeds ego with a new Oval Office set:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/glenn-beck-introduces-oval-office-set-for-speech-ifying.html

    As you can see, this is not from The Onion.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Glenn Beck feeds ego with a new Oval Office set:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/glenn-beck-introduces-oval-office-set-for-speech-ifying.html

    As you can see, this is not from The Onion.

    So that's what he's been doing in his doom bunker since Fox realized he was too crazy for them.

    camo_sig2.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    At what point does that man's ego go "just, no, this shit has gone too far?"

    'Cause that's got to happen at some point, right?

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    At what point does that man's ego go "just, no, this shit has gone too far?"

    'Cause that's got to happen at some point, right?

    About the only sound his ego makes now is "OM NOM NOM".

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    At what point does that man's ego go "just, no, this shit has gone too far?"

    'Cause that's got to happen at some point, right?

    Please, his ego is positively Gingrichian.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • AtomikaAtomika genius of the restoration Registered User regular
    He's not just egomaniacal, he's a thoroughly bad person, and he's the worst kind of person because he thinks his brand of offensive, evil, ignorance is both clever and popular.

  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

    My gut reaction is that this is a crock of shit

    What kind of child, upon hearing their elderly mother had severely hurt herself and refused to see a doctor, wouldn't just DRAG her to a damn doctor. She was 86, it's not like she's going to overpower someone.

    Fox News, reprehensible as they are, didn't spend ten days failing to get her medical attention, her loved ones and/or caretakers did.

    -edit-

    I found this line from her obituary odd.
    Jack pre-deceased Hallie as did their son, Gary.

    Pre-deceased? Is that a thing now?

    Well for one thing, it doesn't appear he has a medical power of attorney. Were he to 'drag her to a damn doctor' the doctor probably wouldn't treat her based on the fact that she didn't want to be treated.

    And if he were to 'drag her to a damn doctor' he is technically guilty of kidnapping.

    At the same time, this is a supposedly intelligent woman. If she chooses to believe the filth that Fox news spews forth and not seek treatment... well, that's her fault. I come up against this very thing all the time at work.

    About two years ago I was called to an older gentlemen who's wife called because he was having chest pain and shortness of breath. I get there and do an EKG, he's having a MASSIVE anterior wall heart attack. He has no intention of going to the hospital. I literally told him "If we leave, in less than 12 hours I'm going to be back out here because you are going to die. Do you understand that?" He understood.. he was awake, alert and could make his own medical decisions. He had no terminal medical conditions at all. I tried everything; including calling family to try and talk him in to going. He had no suicidal intentions, he simply despised physicians and hospitals. I recorded everything I said via our dispatch center (to legally cover MY ass should his family sue) as to what I explained would happen. If I had picked him up and taken him to the hospital against his wishes you can bet I would have been arrested for kidnapping and assault (because of the invasive procedures I would have done).

    Had I kidnapped him, once we arrived at the hospital and he wouldn't have signed the consent form and they would have discharged him.

    I guess I can see that. It boggles the mind, however.

    I agree. But people are allowed to make stupid decisions. Unfortunately, if they are of sound mind and body and it doesn't affect someone else then we have to let them.

  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Glenn Beck feeds ego with a new Oval Office set:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/glenn-beck-introduces-oval-office-set-for-speech-ifying.html

    As you can see, this is not from The Onion.

    So that's what he's been doing in his doom bunker since Fox realized he was too crazy for them.

    I was wondering when this would hit the boards

    I kind of think this is a bit disrespectful, but that may just be me

  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I was wondering when this would hit the boards

    I kind of think this is a bit disrespectful, but that may just be me

    But it also provides the perfect cover for when he says something racist and awful. You can have all the other nutjobs pull a, "It's just entertainment. SNL does fake president things all the time!"

  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Glenn Beck feeds ego with a new Oval Office set:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/glenn-beck-introduces-oval-office-set-for-speech-ifying.html

    As you can see, this is not from The Onion.

    Those comments! hahahaha

  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I really get a weird joy seeing christians praise Beck's religion as the answer to his success

    You know, the religion he has that is not Christianity

    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really get a weird joy seeing christians praise Beck's religion as the answer to his success

    You know, the religion he has that is not Christianity

    Until November, Mormonism is going to be considered part of Christianity.

    camo_sig2.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    camo_sig2.png
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

    Its not a Christian religion because Jesus spent some time in America after his crucifixion? Isnt he like, divine? The son of god? The dude can walk on water, whats to say he didnt walk over here?

    Fun fact, I just learned crucifixion is spelled -fixion and not -fiction. As you can tell, Im super religious.

    camo_sig2.png
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    zekebeau wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

    Its not a Christian religion because Jesus spent some time in America after his crucifixion? Isnt he like, divine? The son of god? The dude can walk on water, whats to say he didnt walk over here?

    Fun fact, I just learned crucifixion is spelled -fixion and not -fiction. As you can tell, Im super religious.

    A more serious answer is that Mormonism is non-trinitarian, in that they believe Jesus is the literal "first born son" of God, not actually God. The religion's cosmological beliefs are also Henotheistic (there may be a whole bunch of gods or god-like entities, but they worship one particular one). Once you depart from trinitarianism, you're on the road to saying Muslims and Bahai are Christians.

    steam_sig.png

    Also on PSN: twobadcats
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    zekebeau wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

    Its not a Christian religion because Jesus spent some time in America after his crucifixion? Isnt he like, divine? The son of god? The dude can walk on water, whats to say he didnt walk over here?

    Fun fact, I just learned crucifixion is spelled -fixion and not -fiction. As you can tell, Im super religious.

    A more serious answer is that Mormonism is non-trinitarian, in that they believe Jesus is the literal "first born son" of God, not actually God. The religion's cosmological beliefs are also Henotheistic (there may be a whole bunch of gods or god-like entities, but they worship one particular one). Once you depart from trinitarianism, you're on the road to saying Muslims and Bahai are Christians.

    I know they do the God head thing, the father, son and holy spirit which Im pretty sure Catholics do too and theyre like OG Christians. I mean, they accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior, isnt that really all that matters when youre determining who is and isnt a Christian?

    camo_sig2.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    In Christianity Jesus is God as is the Holy Spirit. They are all different aspects of the same thing. The Holy trinity that is one god that manifests itself in three different ways. With Jesus being the mortal part that loved humanity enough that he was willing to die for our sins. Jesus was a divine manifestation of God on earth.

    In Mormonism Jesus is one of God's Sons that volunteered to become a prophet on earth. Like the prophets of the old testament, empowered to speak the word of god, but not God himself.

    Its important because the word of Jesus according to Christians is the Direct Word of God as spoken by God in his form of Jesus. This means its he spoke god's truth because he was god. In Mormonism Jesus was a prophet that spoke on behalf of God.

    And pages of debate could be made on the difference between the two. Mostly meaningless debate....

    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    Rodger Simon, everybody!

    vc-EEC3.png

    At least it's not like he's the Chief Political Columnist for anyone, right? Oh, wait...

    Fucking arglebargle.

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    to be fair it is polticio

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    to be fair it is polticio

    A red metal container emblazoned with the Craftsman logo is less of a toolbox than Politico.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how you could have listened to any speech by this President in the last three years and not have heard of it. He mentions it ALL THE TIME.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • DeebaserDeebaser Lead Frog Rammer Fake Board GamerRegistered User regular
    His account was hacked, right?
    Please tell me his account was hacked.

  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    zekebeau wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

    Its not a Christian religion because Jesus spent some time in America after his crucifixion? Isnt he like, divine? The son of god? The dude can walk on water, whats to say he didnt walk over here?

    Fun fact, I just learned crucifixion is spelled -fixion and not -fiction. As you can tell, Im super religious.

    A more serious answer is that Mormonism is non-trinitarian, in that they believe Jesus is the literal "first born son" of God, not actually God. The religion's cosmological beliefs are also Henotheistic (there may be a whole bunch of gods or god-like entities, but they worship one particular one). Once you depart from trinitarianism, you're on the road to saying Muslims and Bahai are Christians.

    I know they do the God head thing, the father, son and holy spirit which Im pretty sure Catholics do too and theyre like OG Christians. I mean, they accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior, isnt that really all that matters when youre determining who is and isnt a Christian?

    The idea of the Godhead in Mormonism is more like a group of three seperate entities (Elohim, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) that all agree on absolutely everything, whereas in Trinitarianism they are three persons but one being and are consubstantial (of the same substance). Since, of the Mormon Godhead, Elohim and Jesus both have separate, perfect physical bodies, they obviously aren't consubstantial. That's one of the many big differences that separates them from Trinitarian Christian traditions like the Catholic church.

    I take your point in that Mormonism pretty obviously cribbed quite a lot form Christianity, but it has a lot of theological differences. The similarities are more cultural - from a North American perspective, yes, Mormons are so similar to other Christian groups that they'd be indistinguishable. From a more universal perspective, where the theological differences play a bigger role, they're a lot different.

    steam_sig.png

    Also on PSN: twobadcats
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    If your definition of Christanity excludes self-identified Christian sects that profess that Jesus was the Christ, then your definition of Christianity is functionally useless.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Atrios (inspirer of the thread title, partially the thread) celebrates 10 years of blogging by naming Tom Friedman the Wanker of the Decade. Well deserved. The rest of the top ten can be found here.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • AtomikaAtomika genius of the restoration Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    How is Mormonism not a Christian religion? Jesus Christ is in their name.

    Because their Jesus came to America and hung out with the Indians instead of just disappearing after coming back from the dead.

    On a similar note, what's the official Catholic stance on the Virgin of Guadalupe?

  • Element BrianElement Brian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    In Christianity Jesus is God as is the Holy Spirit. They are all different aspects of the same thing. The Holy trinity that is one god that manifests itself in three different ways. With Jesus being the mortal part that loved humanity enough that he was willing to die for our sins. Jesus was a divine manifestation of God on earth.

    In Mormonism Jesus is one of God's Sons that volunteered to become a prophet on earth. Like the prophets of the old testament, empowered to speak the word of god, but not God himself.

    Its important because the word of Jesus according to Christians is the Direct Word of God as spoken by God in his form of Jesus. This means its he spoke god's truth because he was god. In Mormonism Jesus was a prophet that spoke on behalf of God.

    And pages of debate could be made on the difference between the two. Mostly meaningless debate....

    Not quite. The idea that Christ was just a prophet is Jehova's Witnesses's beliefs, not Mormon. You kind of just took both religions and mixed them together right there.

    We believe that Christ was God, and that he was the God from the Old Testament, Jehova. That he and the father are two seperate beings. God the Father, and Christ the Son. We can also refer to Christ as the father sometimes, not in that he and God the Father are the same person, but in different contexts; for example we believe that Christ himself created the Earth, under the direction of God the Father, therefore making Christ the Father of the Earth.

    Anytime Christ speaks, he speaks the will of his father.

    Element Brian on
    I like the idea of the carbonation in your pop being too much for your mormon body

    too worldly nooooo
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Your liberal media

    Sunday-talk-shows-02.png

    About half the women were Bachmann and half the African-Americans were Cain. I'd guess the other half of the African Americans was Harold Ford, Jr. Maybe Clyburn once.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Coroner rules that Breitbart died of heart failure.

    I'm mostly surprised that the coroner ruled he had a heart.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Your liberal media

    Sunday-talk-shows-02.png

    About half the women were Bachmann and half the African-Americans were Cain. I'd guess the other half of the African Americans was Harold Ford, Jr. Maybe Clyburn once.

    Pfft. That chart was made by the liberal media anyway.


    Besides, everyone knows the real conservatives are repressed and slandered. I mean, just look at the hatchet job done on Anders Breivik!


    Fucking liberal media.

    TOG Solid wrote:
    If that guy wasn't white he would have gotten popped by so many tasers simultaneously that Marvel could use that as the new origin for Electro.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 Od's blood Sailing a longshipRegistered User regular
    Aren't I supposed to be able to see when someone is joking?

  • AtomikaAtomika genius of the restoration Registered User regular
    Not that I'm at all surprised, but Fox News is burying the Parliamentary report on Rupert and James Murdoch.


    They are, however, diligently covering the John Edwards sex scandal.

  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User
    "The only politics we understand is scandal, and the only scandal we understand is sex."

    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Not that I'm at all surprised, but Fox News is burying the Parliamentary report on Rupert and James Murdoch.

    That's ok, CNN was mentioning the money quote every five minutes this morning.

    camo_sig2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Your liberal media

    Sunday-talk-shows-02.png

    About half the women were Bachmann and half the African-Americans were Cain. I'd guess the other half of the African Americans was Harold Ford, Jr. Maybe Clyburn once.

    I assume you guys all noticed ThinkProgress's implied point - that the political right is made up almost entirely of white men? Because that was tolerably crafty of them. Anyone hazard a guess as to the total on-air time represented by all those interviews combined? From where I sit, that chart is mostly good for liberals to fap over while trying to push back against the bias charge.

    Which reminds me: NPR this morning did a 2-minute report, presented as plain old news, on the pending release of an Obama campaign video.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Someone has to.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
This discussion has been closed.