As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castrate All Nazis: This Time in Afrika [Sniper Elite V3]

Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
e718914e.jpg
Image Courtesy of DocShifty

Sniper Elite V2 is OUT NOW on Steam, Xbox and PS3 from Rebellion Games.

I've been too busy lining up double and triple kills to try it out, but there is a Co-op mode and multiplayer deathmatch.

For the squeamish, there is the option to turn off the x-ray kill cams (or turn up the frequency).

Trailer:

Gameplay vid:

I've created a Steam Group for us: The Penny Arcade Sack Snipers. Stole the userpic from the OP, hope you don't mind @DocShifty. :D

Now forget all that cause Sniper Elite V3 comes out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL2T6BQvPY4

Man of the Waves on

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Yesssss.

Just got this, played around with the first level or so. Much easier to die than in the demo. Pulled off some great shots already. Testicular destruction. Double headshots. So many shattered bones and punctured giblets.

I'm a pretty bad aim apparently but still, so so satisfying to x-ray blast a Nazi head open.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i want this, and that deal for $30 is sorely tempting... but i have to wait
    looks so dope

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    So I played a few rounds of team deathmatch; heap of fun, even though I spent most of my time getting shot from unknown locations. Match was set to sniper rifles only, so it was some pretty tense rounds of trying to find vantage points without getting blasted. Maps are pretty large with lots of cover and good spots to snipe from.

Out of curiousity, for those that pre-ordered, did anyone get the 2 guns that were supposed to be included? I've got the Hitler level and that's it, no bonus guns.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There's team deathmatch in the demo?

Also does shooting a nazi in the balls area kill them?

edit: Oh nevermind I didn't realize it was already out! Tempting, but bad timing since Diablo 3 is out soon.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Not out in the UK till the 4th :(

And another huge thanks to cloudbomb! Can't wait to get stuck in to it.

The demo is just the first mission.

Shooting a dude in the gonads is a fatal "vital shot". And you can watch the testes explode in slow motion.

I'm really enjoying the campaign and I'm getting better at doming the Nazis. There's been a fair bit of reloading checkpoints to get better shots, but that's just me enjoying the shooting mechanics and playing on Elite while being bad at it sometimes.

Multiplayer was a slow-motion, skulking fun time. The games I played went for 20 minutes and total of 40 kills were scored. The main difficulty for the moment is having no idea what the maps are like. The in-game map is not very detailed and running around exploring is not very wise. There were a few times that I was able to line up beautiful shots on unsuspecting prey or turn on another sniper that had already fired on me.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I need this game, so much.

I haven't been able to tag enemies in either single or multi player.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Yep, it's a fantastic game, I've got four hours out of the demo. Hopefully gonna pre-order it, if not I'll get it very soon after release.

I've started singing adapted lyrics from Check Yo Self while playing it;
    "You coulda had a V8, instead of a .303 slug to your cranium, I got 5, and I'm aiming 'em."

I think my best shot in the demo so far is when I effectively scalped the first enemy sniper, blowing the top of his head off. That and the surprise kills when you hit the grenades are the best. :D

I haven't been able to tag enemies in either single or multi player.

you gotta use the binoculars and press fire when the arrow appears above their heads. Could be a Cadet mode thing only though.

edited May 2012
    Wait, what, it's out?

Time to buy it then, hopefully Kill Hitler will be DLC.

Ah, it's not out here yet, 4th of May is when it releases here. *fumes*

Lord_Snot on
    I think we euros gotta wait till the 4th.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Looks like Australia gets to wait until the 4th too. Which I didn't realise until after buying it, downloading it, and trying to play. :(

Grumblegrumble staged releases grumblegrumble.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    The demo is just the first mission.

Shooting a dude in the gonads is a fatal "vital shot". And you can watch the testes explode in slow motion.

I'm really enjoying the campaign and I'm getting better at doming the Nazis. There's been a fair bit of reloading checkpoints to get better shots, but that's just me enjoying the shooting mechanics and playing on Elite while being bad at it sometimes.

Multiplayer was a slow-motion, skulking fun time. The games I played went for 20 minutes and total of 40 kills were scored. The main difficulty for the moment is having no idea what the maps are like. The in-game map is not very detailed and running around exploring is not very wise. There were a few times that I was able to line up beautiful shots on unsuspecting prey or turn on another sniper that had already fired on me.

As much as it would feel like it, a shot in the nads isn't going to kill you, is it?

I think I'd rather have the guy fall to his knees in pain and then get an easy head shot. Now that would be brutal. But they are nazis soo...

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The Demo sold me on this. SO HARD.

I ignored it because it looked like some throw away budget title. I was so wrong... I had it preordered but Ive got too many games coming up I had to cancel, definitely going to pick this up though. Killing a second nazi with the crumpled bullet that just passed through his buddy's head never gets old.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    The shot is extremely traumatic and there are a few serious arteries in that exact region that, when severed, would allow the victim to bleed out in short order.

I've also had a couple snap shots "incapacitate" and enemy instead of killing him.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This looked like a super budgety title so i ignored it.

But I do always play the sniper in any war game.

i just have a hard time playing any sniper-only based game that isn't an arcade cabinet of Silent Scope 2.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    A shot to the nads that ripped off both your balls would probably make you bleed out in a few minutes. Also, shamelessly stolen from the Youtube thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKAEkmDFYE

Also, I have no idea how to use mil-dots... I have to play super fun easy mode.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I was under the impression that the gold bars and bottles of wine were both collectibles.

Apparently, you're supposed to snipe the bottles. I've only seen one, indoors, in a small room.

edited May 2012
    I was under the impression that the gold bars and bottles of wine were both collectibles.

Apparently, you're supposed to snipe the bottles. I've only seen one, indoors, in a small room.

That's cool. I love extra stuff like that. I wonder if you get something special if you manage to get a kill and a bottle in 1 shot.

I just managed to get my first double kill remote detonation. This game is good. That getgamesgo deal is pretty tempting. Has anyone bought from them before?

edit: Wait, so the getgamesgo version doesn't release until the 5th? Even if I'm in US?

anoffday on
    Evidently...

Gives you another chance to get the preorder goodies, though.

Evidently...

Gives you another chance to get the preorder goodies, though.

I've been reading a steam thread about it and some are saying they got their codes today. It sounds like if you're in US and buy from this site they send out codes today which still give you the preorder goodies, but let you play it now, while everyone else just gets to pre-load it. But then I'm also reading that a couple are saying they got codes that don't work.

So many questions. If anyone bought it from this site, let me know how it went please!

I think its based on where you activate the codes rather than the codes themselves.

edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I think its based on where you activate the codes rather than the codes themselves.

So essentially I could "pre-order" the game for 30 bucks, activate it today, play it, and get the pre-order DLC even though I didn't technically pre-order it.

I feel like I'm cheating the system. I read something about someone getting their steam account banned or something too unless I was reading it wrong, so I'm worried about that. It was in the steam sniper elite v2 forum, so it's like a 90% chance to be a load of crap, but still.

anoffday on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

So essentially I could "pre-order" the game for 30 bucks, activate it today, play it, and get the pre-order DLC even though I didn't technically pre-order it.

I feel like I'm cheating the system. I read something about someone getting their steam account banned or something too unless I was reading it wrong, so I'm worried about that. It was in the steam sniper elite v2 forum, so it's like a 90% chance to be a load of crap, but still.

Buy me a copy and I will test it for you!

I kid

mostly.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    *blam*

FUCK YO' ORGANS.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So wait, this game is actually good? I remember Sniper Elite 1 wasn't spoken well of by basically anyone.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So wait, this game is actually good? I remember Sniper Elite 1 wasn't spoken well of by basically anyone.

What? Quite a few people here like the original, it's just brown as heck. (Heck is brown, for reference.)

Lord_Snot on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    No. The shitty game everyone hates was Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Unrelated to this game.

• Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Just tried the demo for this recently and it was fun, a lot of fun. In fact, it was slightly disturbing how much fun I was having stealthily blasting heads apart at a great distance...

I didn't play it, but I heard that it went from hide and snipe to run and gun at some point.

I'm a little less than halfway into V2, but it's mostly snipe and sabotage. Lot's of sneaking around and laying traps in between all the sneaking and sniping. There was a mission that was mostly indoors/underground, but there's still plenty of room for long shots. The rest was getting in close and taking out unaware targets with the silenced pistol or stealth kills.

Xaviar wrote: »
    No. The shitty game everyone hates was Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Unrelated to this game.

yes. I'm playing through Ghost Warrior now and its painful. Sniping is great but Theres too much problems like bugs and random Rambo moments.

first Sniper Elite is awesome.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wish they'd make a really good modern sniper game where you're some SEAL out in remote areas of the world taking out targets. Ala the first COD Modern Warfare game where you have to blow that guy away from the roof while he's at the meeting.

All kinds of conflict nowadays in Africa, the Middle East, South America, some great locations to design and play in I would think.

That said the demo for this was great despite my sort of apathy for WW2 settings anymore, my kid watched and it and ran out of the room when she saw me blow a guys head off.

Allforce on
    Incidentally, Hitler is a little runaway hiding almost the whole time chicken bitch. I took out practically the whole Nazi army in waves but didn't get to tag him when i tried the pre-order bonus level. That's mostly me being shit at hitting moving targets though.

He does scowl mighty angrily when he escapes though.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Xaviar wrote: »

Oh god Sniper Ghost Warrior is the worst thing. The generic FPS parts are so bad that they are largely unplayable.

I am loving the shit out of this though and I loved the shit out of the first one way back when. I wonder if there's some kind of Easter egg if you get a nut shot in Hitler.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    They could use the much lauded myth about him having only one testicle!

So, Hitler's in this game, and you can kill him?