As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] 2012 Challenge Coins - Sold Out

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I'd like to see the pike place market image to be a little more.... simplistic I guess?

right now I feel like the picture is far to busy.

Yea I think so too. The two colors also add to the business of the look. I think it might look a bit less busy in one color.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    I'd like to see the pike place market image to be a little more.... simplistic I guess?

I'm in agreement with this. We probably don't need so much detail inside the buildings. Maybe if we can find another reference picture from a different angle that more emphasizes the main sign? Or just remove a bunch of interior detail.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the center being a different finish/color than the rest. I won't bitch about it because I think I'd have to see it to know for sure how I feel.

zerzhul on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not sure if I'll be down for a coin, but they do look really nice. Just want to help out. :)

PikeMarket.jpg
    seattle-pike-place-market-sign.jpg?1306357110
    pike_place_market_four.jpg
    pikePlace.jpg

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I think we should stick to how the sign looks today, and that third picture would be perfect I think.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I think the 'Public Market' signs are current, it's just not the iconic sign that is usually seen. I believe that one is on the long straight side of the market (like down by Starbucks?).

I thought that third one might work for you though, the iconic sign but pretty clean without a lot of extra buildings (the night one is the same, I think just having the rest dark minimizes the background buildings even more, and the lit sign makes it stand out).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ah ok, I don't think I ever noticed that other sign. Learn something new everyday.

Here is picture 3 used in the coin, keep in mind this is a VERY quick MS Paint edit just to see what it might look like.

9fpg8w.jpg

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Can someone in Seattle go take a pic where the left side of the sign isn't obscured by the building in the background? :)

why are you smelling it?
    edited April 2012
    That can easily be Photoshopped out if we don't want it there, but if someone wanted to go take some pictures it wouldn't hurt.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    Give me 20 and I will have a photoshoped version for you ;)

edited April 2012
    Scratch that. The photo is really low res and a PITA to work with. Need somebody who is a photoshop whiz and not just average. ;)

Edit:
    I did do a VERY quick down and dirty pull of shadows only on the hotel to have a better idea what it might/could look like on the coin.

pike_place_market_four_changed.jpg

adias.angel on
    I'll be able to Photoshop it tonight or this weekend.

IhtGIyi.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Indeed, based on what little I know about the minting process I'm surprised they can achieve that level of detail without some severe problems.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like the second and third pics. Something about the mug is neat to me in the second pic.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I dig the third pic also.

This coin might just end up being a record setter for fastest PAX coin design ever cooked up. Lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    Here is the updated designs with the building removed:

Pike Place with Silver center:
    2upaeep.jpg

Pike Place with Antique Bronze
    300xgyp.jpg

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I like the antique bronze filler with the clock providing contrast.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Me too. The bronze feels smoother, less contrasting. The sign seems to show easier too.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    The clock would be the same color as the rest of the coin unless we wanted to add color to the coin.
    The picture above is just a representation of what it might look like, not the exact colors.

IhtGIyi.png
    Love the second one also. And the clock I think would look good either way.

• Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    I have 2 ideas, 1 for the front, 1for the back:

FRONT: I think that instead of the dots in between the computer monitors, maybe it could be a wire connecting the monitors or the curved WI-Fi signal bars.

BACK: Personally, I think that the ring around the photo (where it says Seattle Washington, PAX Prime 2012,and August 31- September 2) could have the Seattle, Washington part moved up and to the left just a little bit. It just sort of bothers me.

edited April 2012
    For the bronze, it should still have the circle around the picture. The border lettering looks kinda weird without it.
    curved WI-Fi signal bars.
    It'd look neat but wireless routers are the bane of gaming civilization! A proper LAN party should end up looking like a complete snake pit. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    For the bronze, it should still have the circle around the picture. The border lettering looks kinda weird without it.
    It'd look neat but wireless routers are the bane of gaming civilization! A proper LAN party should end up looking like a complete snake pit. :D

Maybe they could keep the bronze, but add the dark bronze (green...) ring around the middle circle.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Whoops.. I'd read the whole thread and somehow missed that... *facepalm*

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited April 2012
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

Maybe they could keep the bronze, but add the dark bronze (green...) ring around the middle circle.
    Yeah, all the market side needs is the darker ring around the market to help make it pop a bit more. Going from the design straight to text without anything in between looks kinda goofy.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

Yeah, all the market side needs is the darker ring around the market to help make it pop a bit more. Going from the design straight to text without anything in between looks kinda goofy.

That's generally what's been done on the last few coins for that side of the coin.

edited April 2012

As zerzhul said, every coin in the past (Both Prime & East) has used this method on the location side. If we go with having the same color throughout on the location side we should continue the tradition of using this design method.

The wording can be adjusted a bit though.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I like the bronze back aswell

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

As zerzhul said, every coin in the past (Both Prime & East) has used this method on the location side. If we go with having the same color throughout on the location side we should continue the tradition of using this design method.

[/quote]

Righto! The mockup didn't have it so I just wanted to be sure. :)

wWuzwvJ.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Righto! The mockup didn't have it so I just wanted to be sure. :)

No, I (and he) meant that they /haven't/ had that extra ring you're talking about on the "location" side. The other threads are linked in the OP, you can take a look. The way it is in the full bronze version in v4 is exactly the same method as the other 4 coins.

Sorry if there is any confusion TOGSolid, for reference here are the past coins where the design goes straight to the text.
    I think we should stick with the precedence of going straight to text.

Here is the back side with the text moved a bit:
    2ustsht.jpg

The front side with the dots representing the link between computers is the cleanest look I can think of. I don't think the curved wifi symbols would fit very well in this context and a wire would look like a border there. If others feels they want something else besides the dots then I will work something up.

IhtGIyi.png
  • sleepygeckossleepygeckos Registered User regular
    Love the LAN party look, but are the dots making anyone else feel like they are a continuation of the outside pacman? What if they were gone all together? I dunno, probably just me. Can't wait to see the finished product!

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    In regards of the "straight to text" look: in the examples that were linked, the image makes good use of the lack of a border by taking up bits of the extra space between the lettering. I feel like that's what makes those designs work out so well. Since the Pike Place image currently doesn't do this, I don't know if it will end up looking as good as those past coins.

Overall, I do like the antique bronze look better though. Just may need a little bit more reworking.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Yeah, if we're going to use a picture that has text on it then I think that inner ring is a necessity to separate the elements. I know the image is a mockup, but there's a lot of weird negative space on that face of the coin the way it is right now.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I think this image lends itself towards having an inner ring. But i'm not 100% on that yet. We'll need to work out some symmetrical layout of the wording along the edge. Before it was spaced for a reason, now we don't have that reason (aka the image going to the edge of the coin in places).

I bet if we spaced out the wording it will look better without an inner ring. After looking at the image for awhile, i'm not as concerned about the extra blank space.

For spacing i would say:
    1. Keep PAX PRIME 2012 centered at the top
    2. Change to SEATTLE, WA (shorten from Washington to WA) and have it lower left
    3. Have AUG 31 - Sept 2 on the lower right

Use the 3 text items like a triangle to keep the theme of the monitors on the other side.

JimmyWild wrote: »
    I think this image lends itself towards having an inner ring. But i'm not 100% on that yet. We'll need to work out some symmetrical layout of the wording along the edge. Before it was spaced for a reason, now we don't have that reason (aka the image going to the edge of the coin in places).

I bet if we spaced out the wording it will look better without an inner ring. After looking at the image for awhile, i'm not as concerned about the extra blank space.

For spacing i would say:
    1. Keep PAX PRIME 2012 centered at the top
    2. Change to SEATTLE, WA (shorten from Washington to WA) and have it lower left
    3. Have AUG 31 - Sept 2 on the lower right

Use the 3 text items like a triangle to keep the theme of the monitors on the other side.

Maybe make the Text line up with the monitors. Or to make it different, make it so that they are aligned sort of like a Hexagram, except that one of the equilateral triangle's points would be the monitors on the front, and the words on the back would make up the points of the other equilateral triangle.

Here is an update with everyone's comments:
    zukxur.jpg

IhtGIyi.png
    edited May 2012
    My OCD feels a lot better now. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    That does look very good.

This is coming along beautifully.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    TBH, I kinda like "Seattle, Washington" better. Or "Seattle . Washington" like it is on one of the past coins that was linked. But it's not a huge deal, for that one I'll just go with whatever the public consensus is. c:

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I think that coin looks awesome! Its really clean and well spaced out.

Kemikal, the only reason i suggested shortening to 'WA' was to make it so we could line up all the text better. Without having an image that goes out to the edge of the coin, it looks awkward IMO to not have the text organized as it is in the last image. I think if we went back to spelling out Washington, then we should run the text all together. So "Seattle, Washington Aug 31 - Sept 2" and then center that at the bottom.

I'm still not 100% convinced we need the inner ring, as i know some people are against that. I think it looks really nice as it is, but i'm not opposed to dropping the inner ring. :)

This discussion has been closed.