As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Apologies tendered. I'm not going to spoiler the old Alien stuff, though. If you haven't seen that shit then it's your own fault.

Well thanks Cogs.
    It's real considerate to blow the whistle on there being xenomorphs that have burst from another species. Up until now I wasn't sure how much of this would be atmospheric and since the director already said there weren't going to be any "aliens" I was working off that assumption and felt the less I knew about what was going to happen the better.

Glad you decided to just blurt all that shit out because I should apparently know it already.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Uh well.
    It stands to reason that the xenomorphs existed before they met humans so they should have bursted from another species?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The whole chestburster thing makes me think of the scene in Alien Resurrection where
    The evil government science op hijacks a bunch of tourists just to incubate chestbursters.

It always struck me as being just too mustache-twirlingly evil. I mean it's already been demonstrated that they can incubate in other species. Why not just hijack a bunch of cows or something instead?

RT800 on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I watched Alien for the first time in years the other day and one scene surprised me.
    The part where the Xenomorph kills Parker, turns to Lambert and then there is a very distinct shot of its tail snaking up her inner thigh.

Was this scene edited out in other versions or something? Because I don't remember it at all and it creeped me out more than a little.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    no it's always been there

there's a lot of rape/violation themes in alien

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, the Xenomorphs were designed by H.R. Giger. According to legend, Freud once refused to give an opinion on his work because he didn't know where to start.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    owning more than zero h.r. giger art books qualifies you as Creepy™

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But! It wasn't actually Lambert you see there - it's Brett's legs getting molested, edited in with shots of Lambert screaming. Apparently Lambert's actress filmed her death as a heart attack while running away. I think the implied rape was more of an afterthought than anything else - some people (weirdly) even think the naked blood drippy leg was Brett's, severed. :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Dude is seriously messed up.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    My favorite Giger is probably the sculpture of the Luger loaded with mutant fetus bullets.
    Heh that sounds like a 40k weapon.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    RT800 wrote: »
    The whole chestburster thing makes me think of the scene in Alien Resurrection where
    The evil government science op hijacks a bunch of tourists just to incubate chestbursters.

It always struck me as being just too mustache-twirlingly evil. I mean it's already been demonstrated that they can incubate in other species. Why not just hijack a bunch of cows or something instead?

Well that is because....
    ....the species of the animal in which they incubate determines the mature xenomorph's form. If you incubate a chestbuster in a species something other than a human it will come out a slightly different anatomy. This was explained in several instances on screen and at the end of Alien 3 you see a chestbuster pop out of a dog with canine like anatomy.

Chimera on
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    Uh well.
    It stands to reason that the xenomorphs existed before they met humans so they should have bursted from another species?

In the first movie....
    ....the Jockey they came across had a burst chest. There is also a scene at the end of Alien 3 where you see one pop out of a dog (or an ox in the extended version), so yes they can bust out of any species that they can fit inside of. The species that the xenomorph bursts out of will effect what its mature anatomy will be like. The vast majority of the ones we see in the films came from humans so that is why they are all humanoid in shape.

Chimera on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chimera wrote: »

Well that is because....
    ....the species of the animal in which they incubate determines the mature xenomorph's form. If you incubate a chestbuster in a species something other than a human it will come out a slightly different anatomy. This was explained in several instances on screen and at the end of Alien you see a chestbuster pop out of a dog with canine like anatomy.

Yeah but it still fucks shit up. It shouldn't be worth any less as a bio-weapon than a slightly more vertical xenomorph. Stick one in a crocodile or something and see what happens.

Anyway Resurrection blows goats, that's why anything happens in that movie.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »

Well that is because....
    ....the species of the animal in which they incubate determines the mature xenomorph's form. If you incubate a chestbuster in a species something other than a human it will come out a slightly different anatomy. This was explained in several instances on screen and at the end of Alien you see a chestbuster pop out of a dog with canine like anatomy.

Yeah but it still fucks shit up. It shouldn't be worth any less as a bio-weapon than a slightly more vertical xenomorph. Stick one in a crocodile or something and see what happens.

Anyway Resurrection blows goats, that's why anything happens in that movie.

Not necessarily....
    ....There is thoughts that the different types have different levels of intelligence and when using them as a weapon you want them to do things like be able to open doors and problem solve so putting them in a gator or some other predatory species may not make them as effective when using them in a CQB setting which is what each of the movies take place in.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Not watching the new trailer. Not watching it. NOT WATCHING IT. ERRRRK.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Chimera you are just spouting fan fiction right now.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Different Xenomorphs based on hosts always reminds me of the action figure line and how quickly that train of thought can get out of hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SXdn2slbY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJXr2CUTmY

Snake Alien! Bull Alien! Gorilla Alien! Mantis Alien! Killer Crab Alien that shoots chestbursters!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    According to legend, Freud once refused to give an opinion on his work because he didn't know where to start.

I wouldn't know where to start psychoanalyzing someone who hadn't been born yet either.

• Options

Nah.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Uh well.
    I think by, "It's real considerate to blow the whistle on there being xenomorphs that have burst from another species. " Joe means that they're ostensibly appear to be in the trailer, not that they exist at all. While it was highly suspected that's a facet of the movie, the limited info coming out of interviews or some of the more ambiguous trailers barely even hinted at the space jockeys. Scott had more or less said, "no xenomorphs," at one point.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The trailers so far lead me to believe that
    the space jockey is some sort of gestalt organism from what they find in the pods, and something the humans do in the movie causes the jump to the facehugger/xenomorph standard.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The trailers so far lead me to believe that
    the space jockey is some sort of gestalt organism from what they find in the pods, and something the humans do in the movie causes the jump to the facehugger/xenomorph standard.

Not sure about that.

SPOILERS FROM THE TRAILER!
    We can assume they're on LV-426 in Prometheus, since the trailers appear to show the ring spaceship getting destroyed and crashing down to the surface, and Ripley's conjecture in Aliens (and common sense, actually :P) says the Space Jockeys weren't from there. So since they aren't native, they probably don't have anything to do the cave, the pods, any of that stuff. I think they're a 3rd party, come to investigate the same thing the humans have.

Or it's a trap they set to lure other species in to study. Either way, I don't think they become the Xenomorphs, rather they brought them to LV-426, either as a collected species, or as an intentional weapon.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    According to legend, Freud once refused to give an opinion on his work because he didn't know where to start.

I wouldn't know where to start psychoanalyzing someone who hadn't been born yet either.
    I bet he was joking

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

I bet he was joking
    I bet he was joking

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

I bet he was joking
    I bet he was joking
    I bet he was joking

:shock:

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I don't know. Hecould just be a wandering idiot

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I bet he was joking

Man, and after I added some qualifiers and checked Freud's death date to make sure it wouldn't be misread as an intended historical anecdote, too...

I don't even own any Giger books, but c'mon. I still consider him one of the most evocative visual artists of the 20th century.

To me, his art is about the underlying horror of materialism, of being trapped in a physical body whose insides are pitch-black (visible light only penetrates a short distance beyond the skin after all), with hydraulic tubing of various kinds running through it, and full of biological urges and drives. There's not much decay symbolism is his work, which I find interesting; it's more about the dark side of life and growth and fecundity itself. Take this (NSFW-ish) one, that's not too far off from what we'd look like during sex if we didn't have any skin, and all those structures are still there even if we can't see them. To put it another way, you know how skeletons are always scary? Well, you've got one inside of you right now... [/Shyamalan]

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Cows aren't a good example for showing the evil science guys doing evil things.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    SPOILERS FROM THE TRAILER!
    We can assume they're on LV-426 in Prometheus, since the trailers appear to show the ring spaceship getting destroyed and crashing down to the surface, and Ripley's conjecture in Aliens (and common sense, actually :P) says the Space Jockeys weren't from there. So since they aren't native, they probably don't have anything to do the cave, the pods, any of that stuff. I think they're a 3rd party, come to investigate the same thing the humans have.

Or it's a trap they set to lure other species in to study. Either way, I don't think they become the Xenomorphs, rather they brought them to LV-426, either as a collected species, or as an intentional weapon.
    Isn't it already confirmed from the trailers that the humans are being lured to the planet for a hostile alien species? Whether it's the Space Jockeys isn't confirmed.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    gimme that cock art

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    gimme that cock art

It's more "I'm scared of dat biomechanical cock/intestine art because body horror arglebargle", but sure.

I should note that although I find Giger's art fascinating, I can't really say I enjoy it in any usual sense, which is why I don't own anything by him. That kind of undercuts my argument to Local H Jay, I guess...

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    New viral video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEtldZQNew

I am crushing pretty hard on Noomi Rapace lately

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey this isn't Prometheus-related but it's a sci-fi movie

The villain in Star Trek 2 is not Khan so everyone can quit saying it is

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Man, can the movie top the viral marketing? It's been so good.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I always looked at bennidict at thought, he kahn't be.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I am planning on seeing this either the 8th or on the 9th at the Cinerama in Seattle. Anyone up for a PA Prometheus meet up deal?

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I always looked at bennidict at thought, he kahn't be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am suddenly pretty excited to see this movie though.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    I'm seeing this in IMAX tomorrow night

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    So. Tomorrow I will be watching this in glorious (???) 3D.

So stoked.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!