As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    But I am not an economist, so please Ronya, feel free to tear my position to pieces

insofar as US colleges have a unique monopoly on extracting money from football played by its students, they should do it - in principle it's not that different from using the side-activity of teaching and housing non-academic-track students to justify funds directed to research. Take the money and run, preferably all the way into the lab equipment brochure.

I do wonder whether a lot of football spending isn't just zero-sum competition between colleges instead, though. For audiences and for college athletes.

aRkpc.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't have a problem with small talk in theory. it's just boring when people are so fucking guarded about everything. i know people just as often hate blabber mouths and emotional tissues, but like... without a meaningfully organic response, chit chat is just call and response.

which is to say the dude who just kinda likes seinfeld and hopes his next car is more efficient probably has interesting, novel thoughts. but we are mostly pretty guarded until we know people.

Dress up like Zelda or I feed

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where anime club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

Because you are getting contact embarrassment.

People make assumptions about the attitude of cosplayers. Like, I will not lie to you, some of them are awkward mouthbreathing neckbeards who have no concept of social interaction and use it as a way to further their deluded sense of reality. Others, however, are shooting the shit and doing it for fun because they like: arts and crafts, hanging out with people who share their hobbies, or meeting random people who stop them for photos.

Like, if you were to actually meet most of these people you would probably lose a lot of your misgivings about it. It is something you do to be goofy on a weekend, like going to a costume party.

As an aside, I didn't have this confirmed but I was told that the sorceress Lux who is clearly not prepared for the photo standing next to me actually worked on the costume design team for The Hunger Games.
    I know a transgirl who makes bank on cosplay shit and does it for a living. She is a pro, though.
    Some of the cosplayers are super pro. There's also a lot of companies who make wigs and costume bits for cosplay and are really successful.

One big thing is all the lolita fashion stuff, like that had a few serious fashion shows at the con and were selling racks of $400 dresses.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    i don't know who said it above but someone was mentioning the prestige vs cost vs value of an education

and i just want to point out- from the perspective of a poor person who's looking to transfer in a couple years and who is very interested in that formula- that i think the 'don't be a sucker and pay for a brand name' proposition is very reductive and loses data in translation

while this may not be the case for plenty of other prospective students (and parents), for me the allure of prestigious schools isn't in self-satisfaction or preoccupation with my greatness. it's with the undeniable ancillary benefits of a prestigious (either in social or professional circuits) degree. maybe shippensburg could offer me a comparable education to penn state, but penn state has so much more money in its alumni network, its career services, its research opportunities etc that it's an almost unfathomably lopsided evaluation

so i am sort of interested in penn state (and that's a mild example- really i'm interested in usc, rice, u of chicago, unc, etc) for its name, but more than that i'm attracted by those factors which are inextricably linked with that name. the chicken-egg proposition, where i consider whether the quality made the name or the name made the quality, is moot at this point. i'm choosing based on the estimated value- a determination informed by more than just how many books i read and how smart my professors are

Organichu on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Son of a bitch. 45,000 zvol snapshots. It takes the system like 45 minutes to actually just detect and load the ZFS module. And it's taking equally as long to list them all.

I really need to destroy a whole bunch of them.

Sketching out what you think would happen if state governments both fixed the price of tuition and refused to make up the shortfall of funds will probably tell you enough about what you really suspect is going on with college tuition fees...

aRkpc.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Yes, because they're offsetting their ballooning costs onto student tuition.

Shifting the revenue source from one type of funding to another doesn't directly address the reasons for rising operating costs.
    Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

Eh, maybe.

Public funding definitely leads to perverse incentives because it reduces the cost sensitivity among students. Now, whether those perverse incentives are strong enough effects to be worth talking about is a matter of debate.

But if they are, then simply throwing more public money at them without instituting rational cost controls just makes things worse.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

There was a great example this year in Florida, where the Gov suggested they no longer provide state funding for anthropology majors because there were zero jobs in anthropology in Florida. Extra snicker-worthy because the gov.'s daughter majored in anthro and couldn't find a job. :)

Basically, I'm pointing firstly at the low educational output among university faculty - increasing the number of classes they teach while keeping pay flat should lower the cost of a class. Secondly, I'm talking about unleashing the same sort of business efficiency measures they teach in the university on the university administrative staff. I'm talking about things like pegging tuition increases to inflation or less. Forcing a reduction in cost (and teacher salary) for individual major tracks that are proven not to produce successful outcomes for students in the major. Just for starters, if the average degree holder in a major can't earn enough to pay off his loans in 10 years, the cost should be cut for that specific major and maybe even future loans denied.

It's one thing to take some art history classes while you're in college. It's another thing to fool a student into thinking he can take out $90k in loans to get a degree in art history and it'll translate into a job that will allow him to pay back the 90K before he's 30.

Anyhow, I'm sort of brainstorming here... I don't claim to have the right answers but I definitely see the need for some right answers because right now this shit is cray, ain't it Jay?
    I think you may be going after the wrong group. The presidents that work this university circuit, making 400k a year, are the ones building massive amounts of unsustainable shit to get more students to take out 90k loans at their university. Universities are also TERRIBLE at finding their students jobs or internships or preparing them for the real world, but part of that is on the student. As far as educational output, most professors have to teach multiple classes while trying to get tenure, which is really hard on them. Universities tend to hire adjuncts to teach the lower classes, which is a huge money saver for the departments, a big middle finger to people with PhDs who couldn't get tenure and are relinquished to teach the dregs, and brings down the total educational quality. Even worse is the overuse of graduate students to pretty much teach for free. The teacher salaries are NOT what is driving up educational costs. If community colleges (beside the big California CC fuckup right now) can operate with higher enrollment than ever and be successful, then I think something else is going on here and hint, it has to do with the already exploding business-ification of higher education by the top tier administrators, their financial groups, and sports centers (who turn massive profits at the expensive of the whole university).

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

Variable wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I dunno

Like, people need to know how to act in public for sure. And yelling THE CAKE IS A LIE OR I FEED at your friends is a bit much. People who feel completely disconnected from broader society into a hobbyist ghetto can be tiresome to interact with.

But at the same time, people who have only the most middle of the road interests are just as tedious. Spending an hour talking about nothing but like, "You know what show I liked? Seinfeld. I like to watch sports sometimes but I don't really feel strongly about any teams. I hope my next car gets slightly better gas mileage," makes me cringe as much as naturo headbands.

I think there is a happy medium between being a neckbeard and between embodying a broad marketing demographic without having an actual personality.

definitely, I just think it's unfair to decide that if people like to dress up they are definitely all the way into "neckbeard" territory. I feel like if you spend the amount of time on this forum that most of us do, you should have had most of that shit removed. There is no single hobby that guarantees a person's dysfunction.

I used to hate "do you get service here"? in high school, that to me was the epitome of a completely empty conversation that no one actually gave a shit about.

Hey if cuties want to dress up as like, Luigi as a hot girl or something I'm not telling them to stop

I have defended cosplay before -- I doubt the dozens of hot and haughty fire twirlers I have seen done up in mad max couture dress that way daily. The guys I saw in full TRON regalia at burning man were awesome. The monkey-robot-flapper outdoor ball I went to was better than most clubs or bars I've visited.

In fact, I might like cosplay more than fashion because cosplay is such a disruption of what daily clothing is meant to encode and say.

And every subculture has people who are lame so yeah.

Yeah, variable.

Somewhere I have a gif of homer and skinner nodding at each other and I wish I could put it here

/nod

I didn't mean to make any assumptions about you personally so sorry about that. I just find that type of attitude strange around these parts, although I do understand where it comes from to some extent.

Naw I was just clarifying my stance

*dap*

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    One of the great things about anime cons over, say, video game cons is that they are not complete sausage fests.

Because ladies fucking love anime.

Also there are so many hot chicks who cosplay just because, as anyone would, they just want an excuse to have people stop them so that they can pose for pictures.

i'm not saying that i wanna cut off her skin but i've watched a couple of rihanna interviews on youtube, i now own all of her albums, and i'm pretty sure my dick chafe will take weeks to recover

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    If I added a mile long spire to my house, could I then claim that my house was the world's tallest skyscraper?

Premier kakos on
    If I added a mile longer spire to my house, could I then claim that my house was the world's tallest skyscraper?

usually there is some stipulation about habitable or usable space. so a skyscraper might be the tallest structure but there is a demarcation for radio towers and stuff like that- real estate which can be occupied is often the most interesting rubric

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh, and Khouri is refusing food and is perpetually hiding. Is this normal for a cat in new surroundings?

@Nova_C
    How long have you had him/her?

Cats are territorial and a change in environment takes adjusting to.

Anecdotally my current cat hid for 2 days, I put food and water near her hiding place which she ate and she snuck out during the night/day to use the litter box. On day 3 she was fine.

From what I read beforehand this is average, your main concern is that it is eating/drinking/using the litter box within 48 hours i think.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    One of the great things about anime cons over, say, video game cons is that they are not complete sausage fests.

Also there are so many hot chicks who cosplay just because, as anyone would, they just want an excuse to have people stop them so that they can pose for pictures.
    Cosplaying shifts someone's position on the Vickie Mendoza graph to the right proportionally to how hot they are.

edited May 2012
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

very business-like, though, you gotta admit

I mean, if you had a captive market as a business, why wouldn't you do exactly this

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.
    (is it okay to post about that kinda stuff?)

ronya wrote: »
    But I am not an economist, so please Ronya, feel free to tear my position to pieces

insofar as US colleges have a unique monopoly on extracting money from football played by its students, they should do it - in principle it's not that different from using the side-activity of teaching and housing non-academic-track students to justify funds directed to research. Take the money and run, preferably all the way into the lab equipment brochure.

I do wonder whether a lot of football spending isn't just zero-sum competition between colleges instead, though. For audiences and for college athletes.

I don't know how it works in other colleges, but at CU, any money made by the football program stays in the football program. Oh, and they get money from the university's general pool as well. So, if the CU football program makes a billion dollars, then the #1 rated particle physics program doesn't see a penny of that.

Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.

what is the format?

Yessss paws

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

I don't know how it works in other colleges, but at CU, any money made by the football program stays in the football program. Oh, and they get money from the university's general pool as well. So, if the CU football program makes a billion dollars, then the #1 rated particle physics program doesn't see a penny of that.
    This is how it is at my university.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Yessss paws

/nod

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gah, so bored right now.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

Should around... 2.5 by 3.5 inches, i think. Same as Magic: cards.

you'd need dice, though, a whole mess of dice. cubic ones.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

There was a great example this year in Florida, where the Gov suggested they no longer provide state funding for anthropology majors because there were zero jobs in anthropology in Florida. Extra snicker-worthy because the gov.'s daughter majored in anthro and couldn't find a job. :)

Basically, I'm pointing firstly at the low educational output among university faculty - increasing the number of classes they teach while keeping pay flat should lower the cost of a class. Secondly, I'm talking about unleashing the same sort of business efficiency measures they teach in the university on the university administrative staff. I'm talking about things like pegging tuition increases to inflation or less. Forcing a reduction in cost (and teacher salary) for individual major tracks that are proven not to produce successful outcomes for students in the major. Just for starters, if the average degree holder in a major can't earn enough to pay off his loans in 10 years, the cost should be cut for that specific major and maybe even future loans denied.

It's one thing to take some art history classes while you're in college. It's another thing to fool a student into thinking he can take out $90k in loans to get a degree in art history and it'll translate into a job that will allow him to pay back the 90K before he's 30.

Anyhow, I'm sort of brainstorming here... I don't claim to have the right answers but I definitely see the need for some right answers because right now this shit is cray, ain't it Jay?

There's a reason Rick Scott got roundly kick in the nuts over this kind of sentiment. Education needs to stop being a business. We don't need to stop letting kids study what they want because it costs too much, we should instead be solving the ridiculous cost of the degree.

Why the fuck is an art degree 90k? That's the real problem.

Education is a business. They are selling credentials!
    But I would support different costs for different majors. I just don't believe that we can get the cost of a degree down without forcing the university system to choose education and demand output from teachers. Running it like a (well run) business should go some distance toward accomplishing this. Holding universities accountable for the obfuscation of the value of a degree also ought to help. Putting price pressure on universities by not offering public funding for what amounts to a financial oubliette would also help.

I'm not against kids studying whatever they like, but I'm pretty against selling an art history degree as something with the same value as one in chemical engineering (just to pick something out of a hat).

that's pretty dumb!

people often make emotional decisions when deciding how to fund football, so it'll just go on and on until a budget crisis forces a reassessment of priorities, I imagine

aRkpc.gif
    If I added a mile longer spire to my house, could I then claim that my house was the world's tallest skyscraper?

usually there is some stipulation about habitable or usable space. so a skyscraper might be the tallest structure but there is a demarcation for radio towers and stuff like that- real estate which can be occupied is often the most interesting rubric

Okay, so I can call it the tallest building in the world. I just love how all these countries are in this pissing contest to have the tallest building and they keep beating each other by a couple of feet by adding a slightly longer spire to the top.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Dice, in a card game?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    How long have you had him/her?

Cats are territorial and a change in environment takes adjusting to.

Anecdotally my current cat hid for 2 days, I put food and water near her hiding place which she ate and she snuck out during the night/day to use the litter box. On day 3 she was fine.

From what I read beforehand this is average, your main concern is that it is eating/drinking/using the litter box within 48 hours i think.

Just a day. I'll wait and see what happens over the next 48 hours. Thanks for the info, I just want to make sure she doesn't dehydrate or anything.

Gah, so bored right now.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

oh i thought you meant this was software.

Gah, so bored right now.

Send it my way and I shall take a look.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    dice rollers on the internet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

cleaning your fucking apartment = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh, and Khouri is refusing food and is perpetually hiding. Is this normal for a cat in new surroundings?

@Richy will be so proud of your name choice.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    to be clear i don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying

it's just that it literally makes me feel slightly queasy to look at groups of people doing it

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i am the worst

Feral wrote: »

cleaning your fucking apartment = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

amputating your feet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Feral wrote: »

Dice, in a card game?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Because i was inspired for a mechanic when i played Risk with my dad and he had a whole mess of dice and counters and i thought "Fuck... I gotta make a card game that needs a lot of fiddly parts".

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Wait, why wouldn't as many girls cosplay at videogame conventions? Booth Babes have already set a precedent that ladies cosplaying is cool.

This discussion has been closed.