Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Nova_CNova_C Social Justice Haruspex Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't name her after Richy. :P

Ana Khouri is my favourite character in Revelation Space.

My blog: www.jonathanirons.net
    My Twitter: IronBorealis
    Be advised, I'm not the best at keeping either updated. >.>
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    to be clear i don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying

it's just that it literally makes me feel slightly queasy to look at groups of people doing it

i judge them and i laugh at them and they are embarrassing, in my opinion

but i also sort of want to do it

i can't really justify my disdain

in general i think disdain is probably not a great thing

XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury *~ Have a Magical day ~* Purveyor of Pixelly PalsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.
    (is it okay to post about that kinda stuff?)

what is the format?

You mean the size?

Should around... 2.5 by 3.5 inches, i think. Same as Magic: cards.

you'd need dice, though, a whole mess of dice. cubic ones.

oh i thought you meant this was software.

Are you not interested if i tell you it's a physical TCG that needs a lot of dice and maybe some notepads?

MVZBm5i.pngzd1yxOn.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    to be clear i don't think there's anything wrong with cosplayers

I just wouldn't want my daughter marrying one.

easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
    Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

Are you not interested if i tell you it's a physical TCG that needs a lot of dice and maybe some notepads?

i'm not interested in testing a physical game, no, sorry.

XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I guess the real mystery here is it is the volume of filesystem snapshots, or is it just the 45,000 virtual hard disks?

I'm tempted to the say the latter, since I guess the Linux kernel wants to keep poking them all, which of course eats all the iops.

I should probably add an SSD cache to this thing.

• ThomamelasThomamelas “Three films a day, three books a week and records of great music would be enough to make me happy to the day I die.” Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    dice rollers on the internet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

cleaning your fucking apartment = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Pfft, you assume someone won't think that using d4s as caltrops will be amusing.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

amputating your feet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Oh, well now you're just being silly.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Oh what the FUCK marvel you're cancelling Avengers Earths Mightest Heroes

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

• 21stCentury21stCentury *~ Have a Magical day ~* Purveyor of Pixelly PalsRegistered User regular
    Gah, so bored right now.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

i'm not interested in testing a physical game, no, sorry.

chu, if you immerse yourself in virtuality too much, you'll lose touch with reality.

you need physical stimuli when playing, you need to feel the cards, smell the opponent, to truly taste victory.

MVZBm5i.pngzd1yxOn.png
  • WinkyWinky Frog Rammer Registered User regular
    If any of you are at all interested, I actually wrote a (tad long) article about anime conventions last year when I went to Acen that I think very accurately describes how I feel about this sort of thing:
    Spoiler:

Play Super Smush wit me: 1006-0814-0691
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot WRIGGLY OMG WRIGGLYRegistered User regular
    god i love having shaved junk

it feels so good

0wSr10c.png?1
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Why don't you make the fiddly parts into cards?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
    edited May 2012
    it occurs to me that i received like, no preventative care advice after my cardiac scare. like... aren't there charts and scads of warnings and advice? my doctor was like 'once you feel better, you should exercise'

he didn't say shit about smoking or red meat or anything

just like, hey john when you feel up to it exercise strenuously, that's heart healthy

it's like 6 months later and i'm kind of reflecting on how when i was discharged there was no real tone of seriousness or urgency despite my almost having died

Organichu on
    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

it feels so good
    Spoiler:
    M I RITE OLOL

bloodyroarxx on

it feels so good

High five, bro!

• ElldrenElldren 3067-6294-6208Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @elldren I saw the bat signal from yesterday -- 6 PM today is fine for me

Great! I'll see everyone on IRC then

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

very business-like, though, you gotta admit

I mean, if you had a captive market as a business, why wouldn't you do exactly this

Yeah, you're pretty correct there. It's unsustainable though... eventually you have somebody try to undercut your business. In this sector it's for-profit schools.

I wasn't the least bit surprised to see government begin to go after for-profit institutions for exactly the same problems traditional institutions have, with those very same institutions cheering from the sidelines.

Why don't you make the fiddly parts into cards?

Because this is version 0.1 super pre alpha edition. The fiddly parts may not even survive to version 0.1.2.

MVZBm5i.pngzd1yxOn.png
    nobody commented on my college prestige post

well fuck you guys

one day i'll be making high 5 figures with a PRETTY HEALTHY 401k and then you'll all look silly

XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot WRIGGLY OMG WRIGGLYRegistered User regular
    it occurs to me that i received like, no preventative care advice after my cardiac scare. like... aren't there charts and scads of warnings and advice? my doctor was like 'once you feel better, you should exercise'

just like, hey john when you feel up to it exercise strenuously, that's heart healthy

it's like 6 months later and i'm kind of reflecting on how when i was discharged there was no real tone of seriousness or urgency despite my almost having died

that's

pretty bad

i hope you have been trying to live well regardless

0wSr10c.png?1
  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Registered User regular
    What would I have to do to have a magazine article refer to me as a provocateur?

yGxvf.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Sketching out what you think would happen if state governments both fixed the price of tuition and refused to make up the shortfall of funds will probably tell you enough about what you really suspect is going on with college tuition fees...

This is exactly what the current Tory government in the UK did (only applies to England, Wales, Northern Ireland).

• TehSlothTehSloth Looking for a girl who hates everything that I hate Except meRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Pfft, you assume someone won't think that using d4s as caltrops will be amusing.

I had a friend with these awful pewter dice, I'm pretty sure they were made to kill overzealous DMs.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    edited May 2012

that's

pretty bad

i hope you have been trying to live well regardless

i mean i eat like it's my last day on death row

but i do exercise a good bit for a fatty and i don't smoke

o well

i am just kinda hypochondriac-y today because i've been feeling lightheaded and getting vertigo. chest feels fine!

Organichu on
    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The liberal arts system is a big problem I think.

I mean, I'm all for a well rounded education, but a huge part of where we're at is a college degree is often not a sign of skillset or capability, it's a sign of class. If you can waste the money on a non-skills based education, you're our kind of people, you're hired! And as college became more widely available that didn't change. Which is unfortunate, because I can't tell you the number of people I know putting their college degrees to good use waiting tables or selling cable tv.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

I mean, if you had a captive market as a business, why wouldn't you do exactly this

Yeah, you're pretty correct there. It's unsustainable though... eventually you have somebody try to undercut your business. In this sector it's for-profit schools.

I wasn't the least bit surprised to see government begin to go after for-profit institutions for exactly the same problems traditional institutions have, with those very same institutions cheering from the sidelines.

For profit schools are a mockery of education, though. For all the problems with the public and private university system, for profit schools do nothing but take advantage of, often very underprivileged, students.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

well fuck you guys

one day i'll be making high 5 figures with a PRETTY HEALTHY 401k and then you'll all look silly
    Prestige is useful for undergrad name recognition, but at the graduate level, you should be looking for an advisor with good field prowess. Generally, this is separate from prestige university. The top people in my field are scattered all over the world at many different universities. Also, the best research institutions for certain fields have little to no general public prestige.

39kEWYh.jpg
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Cardiac scare? D: What the hell happened?

PS: Gotta love that American healthcare system!

SuperKawaiiWillSig.jpg
    What would I have to do to have a magazine article refer to me as a provocateur?

Flounce around twice as hard as Marilyn Monroe.

What for-profit universities do is fleece people who have no idea how education works or should cost, for all their money. Pretty happy to see them get sued into oblivion in the next few years.

39kEWYh.jpg

make a sex in my vagina

0wSr10c.png?1

Cardiac scare? D: What the hell happened?

PS: Gotta love that American healthcare system!

i guess you've been pretty reclusive huh? i had a really serious health scare this past fall, i was in the hospital for a week. goddamn i was self-absorbed and talked about nothing but that for like a month, i'm surprised you didn't hear.

XMSODhjrer45.gif
    Kakos may I just say I just noticed your sig and appreciate it

The liberal arts system is a big problem I think.

I mean, I'm all for a well rounded education, but a huge part of where we're at is a college degree is often not a sign of skillset or capability, it's a sign of class. If you can waste the money on a non-skills based education, you're our kind of people, you're hired! And as college became more widely available that didn't change. Which is unfortunate, because I can't tell you the number of people I know putting their college degrees to good use waiting tables or selling cable tv.
    I was very off-put by Women's Studies at my Uni because only the privileged could afford to take classes about really important stuff like class issue and what not, with little to no job prospects. It was so ass-backwards. I found a bunch of essays talking about that problem, which made me feel a whole bunch better.

39kEWYh.jpg
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, for-profit universities as they currently exist are about as loathsome as for-profit charity organizations or legalized loan sharking payday loan centers.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Happy First of May, everybody

um nsfw audio i guess

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    is kakos sig Will giving a peace sign anime emoting and screaming about something being cute

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

well fuck you guys

I think you're completely correct about the perceived value of the credentials you're buying, and the relative value between Penn State and wherever you're going now. My issue is that 1) the prestige is often only a perception, and its relationship to actual education varies wildly from major to major, and 2) it still shouldn't be as expensive as it is.

This discussion has been closed.