As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah. I would be surprised if 1000 gold is ever worth that much. 1000 gold is very easy to get.

captaink on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Without knowing any details and just hearing about it, the idea of a real money auction house sends terrible and may give me a reason not to get into D3. But I don't know a thing about it and I could be bery wrong. I just hate the idea of freemium to creep into games I like to play. And this sounds gross.

On another note. I would love to see somthing like, swap.com as a way to trade. You basically create a list of items you have and a want list. Then the system matches you up with people who want things on your have list and have things on your want list. It's up to the players to then offer to trade one for another and to accept. swap.com is a 1to1 tradeusually but it would be easy to "include x gold" or multiple items if you had more than one item on someone's want list.

Of course, I guess this only works for uniques and maybe wouldn't work as well since the whole pre and suffix method of item creation. But for example, Swap.com lets you search for items, find people with them and as you look at them, it shows you if you have anything on their want list.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    But with diablo 2, the ladder system allowed people to obtain items and lose them each ladder season. Why would anyone want to pay for items when they would lose them in a year? Better yet, why would anyone want to buy items without the ladder reset? The items themselves will be multiplied so much that a rare is common and a good rare will be easy to find, degrading the value of items each passing month. Then again, no one knows how difficult Inferno setting will be. There is a chance items from the RMAH might be actually required for people to be good in inferno, which may slow the degrading value of the items for a long time, but the end result is the same.

You are vastly underestimating how lazy people are and/or how easy it will be to obtain the best gear. It'll be easy because people will flood the RMAH (maybe) and people will buy it.

I think you're vastly underestimating how incredibly rare the best stuff is in Diablo. The supply of top tier equipment will grow slowly, and when someone buys a top-end item they might be more inclined to hold on to it than resell it(since all Diablo players are packrats by nature). I think it will take a long time for that stuff to become devalued. Maybe long enough to keep the prices relatively high until the next expansion, at least for the absolute best gear.

I did say "maybe"...

But it remains to be seen how best the best stuff will have to be to sell, now that you mention it.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Without knowing any details and just hearing about it, the idea of a real money auction house sends terrible and may give me a reason not to get into D3. But I don't know a thing about it and I could be bery wrong. I just hate the idea of freemium to creep into games I like to play. And this sounds gross.

D3 is a full $60. Freemium this ain't.

And you are buying and selling to other players. You are not getting items from the Blizzard Cash Shop.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    So what will the Blizz cash shop sell, anyway?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    dem fees

For Equipment (weapons, armor, accessories, and other unique items)

Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
    Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item
    Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price
    Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): 15% of final sale price
    Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

If it makes you feel any better, Diablo 2 was full of players buying and selling items on black markets. All the RMAH does is provide a safe and secure place for those people to engage in activity that has always happened and was always going to happen. You never have to touch it for as long as you play if you don't want to deal with it.

Basil wrote: »

There is no "cash shop".

Scosglen on
    edited May 2012
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »

There is no "cash shop".

But but but.

I want to give them money, not players.

*sniff*

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    It says Blizzard will not be involved in selling on the RMAH. Its not a freemium model, so much as a Rake model.

Basically, if you played D2, and were comfortable knowing people were buying and selling duped items, then you've already essentially played this version of "freemium", if you want to call it that.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    But, you can buy items from NPC's with gold. And gold is now worth dollars!

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Second TV ad up on entertainment weekly (lol), no youtube yet though. About as spoilery as the last one.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/01/diablo-3-tv-spot-exclusive-video/

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Think about it this way: D2's real money economy was fucking huge.

It's going to happen whether sanctioned by Bliz or not, sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALALA" isn't going to change that.

It's better to have it in the open, where it can be regulated and policed.

Also, the RMAH isn't an item shop, it's for regulating trade between players. Massive difference.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Probably already posted (this thread moves too fast now so oh well), but I just saw this yesterday:
    Guy on Twitter: Hi Jay, quick question: is Inferno mode designed to be beatable by an HC character?
    Jay Wilson: Not really, but please consider that as a challenge. :)

forty on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Those fees certainly set up third party sites to be a cheaper alternative...

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    More interesting is that he says none of the internal testers have managed to beat Inferno, even in softcore.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Those fees certainly set up third party sites to be a cheaper alternative...

I keep wondering how viable an option this will be. They seem to have invented an amazingly elaborate system between the RMAH and region locking.

Its a system that seems primed for people to just...not use due to being overly complex and cumbersome.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    Think about it this way: D2's real money economy was fucking huge.

It's going to happen whether sanctioned by Bliz or not, sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALALA" isn't going to change that.

It's better to have it in the open, where it can be regulated and policed.

Also, the RMAH isn't an item shop, it's for regulating trade between players. Massive difference.

Yeah, I don't see how the freemium complaint comes into it. D3's gameplay is almost wholly PvE. It's a problem in PvP freemium games when people who don't spend money can't compete, but you're not trying to beat other players in D3. Plus, since the items only come from other players, you don't get a glut of items that wouldn't be in the game normally; they just get shifted around between players.

Unless the complaint is that other players might be able to progress faster than you, but you don't have to interact with them if you dont' want to.

• onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    I'm really excited to run headfirst into the wall that is Inferno. I expect cheesing mobs will be common practice.

edited May 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    More interesting is that he says none of the internal testers have managed to beat Inferno, even in softcore.
    I imagine some part of that is the time factor. They said they expect beating Inferno to take a lot of time because people will gradually need to acquire better gear. I think that process will be expedited in retail with people playing 20 hours a day and more good gear being put in the system (and just the fact that a pool of 5 million people will end up with some better players than a pool of 50).

Both the quotes pretty well agree with each other since we've been told again and again that Inferno is supposed to be tuned to rape.

forty on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

This amuses the hell out of me. I don't see myself taking a serious shot at completing Inferno, but I look forward to hearing about it from those that do. I'm hoping it's a drawn out race to be the first to beat it.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Second TV ad up on entertainment weekly (lol), no youtube yet though. About as spoilery as the last one.

You know these are fucking awesome, and I get really giddy when I watch them, but got damn I need like an IGN Rewind Theater on both this and the first TV spot.

I am going to slam my head against Inferno like the lemming I am at heart.

All doing Nightmare runs for gold to afford to repair my broken gear.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Hmm. I'm planning on getting up just before launch and playing maybe 20 hours. But I don't think that would be enough to get to 60 and 8 hours of sleep then would probably ruin the attempt.

After advice of penny arcaders, and somewhat of an exploit I've learned of, we've changed our goal to world first inferno clear. Because of how hard I believe inferno will be, we are going to pace ourselves and aim for a 2 week clear.

Also, I think a 2-3 player party will be optimal. In 4 player; mobs only have 325% health vs 400% damage, but the coordination it will take and the time for 1 player to take down 1 mob is gonna make inferno even MORE difficult. SO yeah, just 1 more poopsocker would be great, so feel free to add me. Champion#1479

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular

I couldn't get the EW video to play, youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lf8OQnwwqA

So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Hmm. I'm planning on getting up just before launch and playing maybe 20 hours. But I don't think that would be enough to get to 60 and 8 hours of sleep then would probably ruin the attempt.

After advice of penny arcaders, and somewhat of an exploit I've learned of, we've changed our goal to world first inferno clear. Because of how hard I believe inferno will be, we are going to pace ourselves and aim for a 2 week clear.

Also, I think a 2-3 player party will be optimal. In 4 player; mobs only have 325% health vs 400% damage, but the coordination it will take and the time for 1 player to take down 1 mob is gonna make inferno even MORE difficult. SO yeah, just 1 more poopsocker would be great, so feel free to add me. Champion#1479

2 weeks? I think you are underestimating Inferno.

steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

World first Inferno is going to be more about gear than anything I think. The first person to build an uber character wins. You either need lots of manpower farming you gear(which you don't have), or to be buying the best stuff as it shows up in the RMAH(no doubt for $texas). If anything you'd be at an even bigger disadvantage there since there's no limit to the benefit of more people contributing.

Zek on
    Suckafish wrote: »

I couldn't get the EW video to play, youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lf8OQnwwqA

Excellent, was waiting for the youtube version.

steam_sig.png

So there's information available about the differences between 1-4 players being in the game? Can you link where this information is or copy-paste or something?

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well at least when someone gets a world first Hardcore completion of Inferno, it'll actually be meaningful.

My guess is it'll probably involve a team of players with one guy sitting back in safety while the other players suicide their maxed out decked out characters at the hordes.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide

World first Inferno is going to be more about gear than anything I think. The first person to build an uber character wins. You either need lots of manpower farming you gear(which you don't have), or to be buying the best stuff as it shows up in the RMAH(no doubt for $texas). If anything you'd be at an even bigger disadvantage there since there's no limit to the benefit of more people contributing.

There's a few things I don't think your considering. Racing to inferno is going to place us above a large percentage of the player base giving us somewhat exclusive access to top tier items for some time. Selling these on the RMAH and converting directly into new gear, combined with my not so texas money and a little help from friends should keep us in the game. We are definitely at a disadvantage, but RNG is going to have a say in all this aswell. Who knows, we might get some great drops.

One thing I'm planning on doing is hoarding gold. We arent even going to touch artisans in an effort to make as much RM off gold which will be important to alot of the other poopsockers 1 week after launch.

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part of the auction house is maximum number of 10 audits per person per AH. People won't be flooding the AH with stacks of 1 of something, or just garbage, making it hard to find good, competitively priced items. And if someone wants to be an AH whore, they have to spend serious amount of time re-listing shit as soon as they get room. Will help those of us who don't have time to "play" the AH.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Whats the harm in them just trying, though?

EDIT: I mean, assuming things like children, spouses, jobs, education aren't being actively neglected.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One thing I'm planning on doing is hoarding gold. We arent even going to touch artisans in an effort to make as much RM off gold which will be important to alot of the other poopsockers 1 week after launch.

I find this highly surprising. The blacksmith in particular fills a lot of niches with the ability to roll the dice on slots while you're still potentially wearing whites or nothing at all. If anything, I'd funnel gold into one player for that alone, especially if you have 4 players sending them gold and disenchantables with which to upgrade and produce items.

Especially since there's a time restraint on the RMAH for the first week (? Was it 1 or 2?), during which you'll just be stockpiling gold with nothing to do with it, which instead could've been spent kitting you and your team in craftable gear.

Even a crappy Magic or Rare piece is pretty awesome when you're sitting on an empty slot, a white or a low level magic item.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I don't suppose someone's already come across a youtube compilation with samples of how all the male/female class voice actors sound?

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    So, apparently you can plan on any server you want but characters can't be transferred between servers.

Forar wrote: »

I find this highly surprising. The blacksmith in particular fills a lot of niches with the ability to roll the dice on slots while you're still potentially wearing whites or nothing at all. If anything, I'd funnel gold into one player for that alone, especially if you have 4 players sending them gold and disenchantables with which to upgrade and produce items.

Especially since there's a time restraint on the RMAH for the first week (? Was it 1 or 2?), during which you'll just be stockpiling gold with nothing to do with it, which instead could've been spent kitting you and your team in craftable gear.

Even a crappy Magic or Rare piece is pretty awesome when you're sitting on an empty slot, a white or a low level magic item.
    You said it yourself "roll the dice on slots" We need a more guaranteed source of gear then throwing gold into a slot machine. This could all change though. If it does, we will still have that gold to pump into both artisans, so really its a win win.

Also, I just want to say. PLEASE PLEASE don't let my world first crap affect your enjoyment of the game. This is just a meta contest between no lifers like me and my friend.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Also, I just want to say. PLEASE PLEASE don't let my world first crap affect your enjoyment of the game. This is just a meta contest between no lifers like me and my friend.

If anything, I'll be really curious to keep tabs on you guys. Try to update us in here if you can.

Bobble wrote: »

If anything, I'll be really curious to keep tabs on you guys. Try to update us in here if you can.

Of course. I love you guys. Been lurking since.....2005? :)

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular

I read that as "first world crap" and got really offended. Where do you think we're from?!

This discussion has been closed.