As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Anyone found the jumping challenges?

I found one in Queensdale:
    Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    And getting to the end. The chest contained a crappy focus, worst than the one I was using lol.
    gw029x.jpg

Challenges weren't really difficult, just a bit harder to pull off due to the fact that your character feels a bit floaty.

Where in Queensdale? I found one but I was fighting Spiders, not Oozes.

Took me a bunch of tries to kill those fucking spiders too since they were 15 and I was only 12.

Its actually in the same cave as the spiders but just kinda hidden off the the side. The layout of the cave makes you think you have to run to the left at first, but if you run right and then leap across a gap onto a ledge, you'll run up into the true jumping puzzle area. I had to wander around for a while before I figured this out and I think all but like 2 people I entered the cave with missed it completely. I love that they have these things sprinkled around the world.

Wow, cool.

The spider area has a chest too. And if you go to the right-edge of the spider ledge, you can drop down to ANOTHER ledge and then jump underneath the spider area for another hidden chest.

• Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    As much as I enjoyed the early part of the Charr storyline I played, it was basically what I expected. The highlight of Plains of Ashford for me was running around with the Crush Cubs.

Also, you guys are making me regret not trying a thief last weekend. Argh.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I just read the first post...I imagine the other eleventy-billion pages devolves into a bunch of flaming back and forth, but I can completely agree with the poster.

Having NEVER even touched Guild Wars, I found the start of the personal story extremely boring (I spent most of the BWE doing Norn stuff) and really didn't feel compelled to dig into it. Granted, I never did more than a few quests, but that's how much I didn't care. Which was sad, because the opening cinematic which set the tone was awesome for the Norn, but then the opening sequence was a total let-down.

From my experience it's not gonna blow your socks off, but it's no better or worse then any other MMO storylines.

The one thing is though that what race you choose and the character creation options you pick have a large but not at all predictable impact on the kind of story you experience.

It could be the Norn story, or the particular Norn story you chose, isn't your thing.

The Norn story I chose seemed to start pretty slow. The human- street rat story though was surprisingly compelling. Compelling enough that I was genuinely interested in completing more of it.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Human Commoner was decent (up to 14), good possibilities set up so far. I'm curious how seperated the storylines stay in later levels - I'm presuming that the per-race storylines merge first, then eventually everyone's in late levels, with small branching paths along the way based on your creation personal choices.

Edit: Reread(/reskimmed) the Personal Story blogpost, sounds like the personal race storyline eventually sorta merges into the overall epic story, which then has its own branches you can then take.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    You guys should totally check out those screens I just posted. :mrgreen:

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    All the Charr and Human stories I tried seemed quite good. They seemed better at introducing you to the whole experience then the Norn one, which very much threw people at you without telling you who they were or the like.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    And getting to the end. The chest contained a crappy focus, worst than the one I was using lol.
    gw029x.jpg

Challenges weren't really difficult, just a bit harder to pull off due to the fact that your character feels a bit floaty.

Took me a bunch of tries to kill those fucking spiders too since they were 15 and I was only 12.

Its actually in the same cave as the spiders but just kinda hidden off the the side. The layout of the cave makes you think you have to run to the left at first, but if you run right and then leap across a gap onto a ledge, you'll run up into the true jumping puzzle area. I had to wander around for a while before I figured this out and I think all but like 2 people I entered the cave with missed it completely. I love that they have these things sprinkled around the world.

I loved watching people try the jump that the NPC was "doing" and having them all fall down miserably. It was glorious as I stood on the other side shouting words of encouragement.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, when you bind dodge and hit it, which way does your character dodge? I don't rebind it because I kind of enjoy double-tapping, it reminds me of my old unreal tournament days ;)

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    The Norn story is pretty bad, at least as far as I got in it. Killing a boar didn't make me feel like a super special hunter, and later on during the super special hunt that apparently any boar hunter can go on, I got downed for trying to steal from Issormir, watched the NPCs finish the hunt, and then was crowned the killer of Issormir. No saving a garrison and village from centaurs and an earth elemental, no fighting Ascalonian ghosts, just a stupid hunt that I didn't even contribute anything to.

• Options
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, when you bind dodge and hit it, which way does your character dodge? I don't rebind it because I kind of enjoy double-tapping, it reminds me of my old unreal tournament days ;)

Defaults to backwards if you're not moving. Otherwise dodges in the direction you're moving.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Peccavi wrote: »
    The Norn story is pretty bad, at least as far as I got in it. Killing a boar didn't make me feel like a super special hunter, and later on during the super special hunt that apparently any boar hunter can go on, I got downed for trying to steal from Issormir, watched the NPCs finish the hunt, and then was crowned the killer of Issormir. No saving a garrison and village from centaurs and an earth elemental, no fighting Ascalonian ghosts, just a stupid hunt that I didn't even contribute anything to.

Yeah, after playing all three of the initial storyline missions, the norn one was by far the least exciting for me. It got slightly better as time went on, but that's not saying much.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Yeah, after playing all three of the initial storyline missions, the norn one was by far the least exciting for me. It got slightly better as time went on, but that's not saying much.

Maybe the boar needs to murder the fuck out of some other norn in front of your eyes after you get trapped under an avalanche and be a murderous looking creature.

The feedback I gave on the Human intro area was simply that there didn't seem to be much variety in the Centaurs, though the elemental at the end was fun (if easy, you could stand in it's AoE attacks)

steejee on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

None of the storylines were worth a shit. A lot of it is how fucking awful most of the VA is, and the rest of it is just being campy cheesy writing. Lord Faryn of the human noble line in particular manages to be so awful he almost sort of rolls back around to good.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    steejee wrote: »

Maybe the boar needs to murder the fuck out of some other norn in front of your eyes after you get trapped under an avalanche and be a murderous looking creature.

The feedback I gave on the Human intro area was simply that there didn't seem to be much variety in the Centaurs, though the elemental at the end was fun (if easy, you could stand in it's AoE attacks)

Granted he can also 1 shot you if he drops one of his mini-elementals directly on you!

• Options
    Arkady wrote: »

None of the storylines were worth a shit. A lot of it is how fucking awful most of the VA is, and the rest of it is just being campy cheesy writing. Lord Faryn of the human noble line in particular manages to be so awful he almost sort of rolls back around to good.

If you hate Lord Faran, your opinions are wrong.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't know if you guys all played Guild Wars 1, but A-net's writing has VASTLY improved. :P

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

Definitely a good summary of the highs and lows of beta, though I suspect the whole thing would have sounded a bit different if the writer had played charr. ;)

:lol: I was thinking the exact same thing about the charr.

On a totally different subject, for those of you who've read Dragonlance, do the sylvari sound eerily similar to the kender to you all as well? Because they sure do to me.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari

This part in particular stood out to me:
    Despite the kick start of knowledge from the dream they still seem naive as there are some matters which seem beyond their comprehension. Emotions and tact, in particular, are difficult for them to grasp, so often a sylvari will state out loud something which would normally be politely avoided by other races. Death as well is still not fully understood, but it is viewed as something to be embraced and wholly understood - this creates an acceptance and fascination of death which the other races can find disturbing.

sylvari best race

#1 forever

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The bit of the charr ash legion story I played was nice and compelling, and fit my thief perfectly. It's not like the storylines are going to be the greatest stories ever told, but it's a video game. If I get to feel like a cool thief hero who infiltrates the flame legion and foils their plans and protects my race, that's good enough for me.

• Options
    Has anybody heard if they plan to open up sylvari and asura to play at all before launch? I need to know how cool asura thief animations are before I decide what race I will play at launch.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Has anybody heard if they plan to open up sylvari and asura to play at all before launch? I need to know how cool asura thief animations are before I decide what race I will play at launch.

They might, but they also want to keep some things back to be new at release.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

They've hinted pretty strongly they're going to leave some things as a surprise for launch.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Topia wrote: »

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    gw029x.jpg

I loved watching people try the jump that the NPC was "doing" and having them all fall down miserably. It was glorious as I stood on the other side shouting words of encouragement.

I found four of the jumping puzzles. I believe that there's one in every exploreable area really. The ones I did:

- Demongrub Pits (Queensdale). The one with all the oozes that you're talking about. The easiest one I did. Until the end when the oozes respawned too fast and you get overwhelmed :( Still managed to get the achievement.
    - Shaman's Rookery (Wayfarer Foothills). This one was a lot harder. Mainly because ravens knocked you off some platforms into the pits with skelk. And then the last battle was challenging. Having more people and actually only pulling one of the end guys made this easier.
    - Loreclaw Expanse (Plains of Ashford). Probably the hardest I encountered, due to the multitude of traps and precision jumping. Unfortunately, this one was bugged so we never were able to complete it.
    - The Collapsed Observatory (Kessex Hills). The hardest one at figuring out where the heck to go.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in the puzzles, do not wiki them, but figure them out for yourself. They're a lot of fun. Portal is a very helpful skill too if you're not sure where to go, and screw up, since it lets you undo your last move.

Geod on
  • Options
    Geod wrote: »

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    gw029x.jpg

I found four of the jumping puzzles. I believe that there's one in every exploreable area really. The ones I did:

- Demongrub Pits (Queensdale). The one with all the oozes that you're talking about. The easiest one I did. Until the end when the oozes respawned too fast and you get overwhelmed :( Still managed to get the achievement.
    - Shaman's Rookery (Wayfarer Foothills). This one was a lot harder. Mainly because ravens knocked you off some platforms into the pits with skelk. And then the last battle was challenging. Having more people and actually only pulling one of the end guys made this easier.
    - Loreclaw Expanse (Plains of Ashford). Probably the hardest I encountered, due to the multitude of traps and precision jumping. Unfortunately, this one was bugged so we never were able to complete it.
    - The Collapsed Observatory (Kessex Hills). The hardest one at figuring out where the heck to go.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in the puzzles, do not wiki them, but figure them out for yourself. They're a lot of fun. Portal is a very helpful skill too if you're not sure where to go, and screw up, since it lets you undo your last move.

Are these usually marked on the maps as caves?

• Options
    All caves are marked on the map as caves.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    gw029x.jpg

From what I saw, they weren't marked at all.

• Options

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    gw029x.jpg

Hmmm... interesting....

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

Start of the cave:
    gw028gs.jpg
    gw029x.jpg

Hmmm... interesting....

The only thing that gives a hint for Loreclaw Expanse is a deer up on a cliff. You have to figure out that there's a way up there, and then puzzle is behind it.

There was another puzzle in the south of Diessa Plateau which had you jumping along the breached wall, which was cool. This was indicated by a skill point on the map, but you had to follow the wall quite a long way before reaching a point at which you could begin to climb.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

Ha, I had that exact same experience with him. By the time I got a ways into the noble storyline he was so hammy that I started liking him.

Does anyone know how shadow trap works, or what it's for? Do you set the trap and then go into stealth? Can you trigger it yourself, or does someone have to step on it? It seems like it could be cool but I don't understand how it's used.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They've hinted pretty strongly they're going to leave some things as a surprise for launch.

When I bugged them about this at the press event, they backed away from saying they wouldn't give us access to those two races, but they wouldn't confirm if or when we'd be able to play with them. It's entirely possible they haven't decided for certain one way or the other yet. I forget, which dev was it who said they were holding some things back for launch when asked about Asura and Sylvari?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

When I bugged them about this at the press event, they backed away from saying they wouldn't give us access to those two races, but they wouldn't confirm if or when we'd be able to play with them. It's entirely possible they haven't decided for certain one way or the other yet. I forget, which dev was it who said they were holding some things back for launch when asked about Asura and Sylvari?

surely that doesn't mean "yeah, we're just not gonna do any testing on the sylvari and asura areas before launch"

• Options

surely that doesn't mean "yeah, we're just not gonna do any testing on the sylvari and asura areas before launch"

They can do closed/in-house testing as well especially if it's just for certain things. Lots of MMOs do this with the late game content. Like, just because 31-80 isn't in the beta doesn't mean they aren't testing it.

As for those jumping puzzles... I'll probably look up their locations but not the solutions.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I'm hoping they open up some 20+ zones and the first dungeon for the next BWE.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I thought the first dungeon was open. Sure someone said it was and you get auto levelled to 30, don't tell me someone lied on the Internet!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    I found the dungeon, but I didn't try to go inside. The guys outside didn't auto-level me, and people in the zone chat said it was bugged.

• Options
    Ascalon Catacombs was open, but there's no auto level npc unless you have a journalist account or some such. I saw screenshots on the beta forum of a guy showing a normal group of prepurchasers who completed it with a group of like a 31, and 4 other people ranging from 27 to 30. You just had to level up to 30 or close to it if you wanted to have a shot at beating it.

• Options
    31? Man, I thought I played a lot getting to 21.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    this one is fucking amazing, since we're talking about jumping puzzles. It looks hard and so darn beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mwQ4i_AwE

• Options
    this one is fucking amazing, since we're talking about jumping puzzles. It looks hard and so darn beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mwQ4i_AwE

They even exist in Wuvwuv?

That's too cool!

WHY ISN'T THIS OUT FO REALZ YET?

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    31? Man, I thought I played a lot getting to 21.

I played about a total of 18 hours and was level 24 or 25 when I stopped and that was with a lot of (not efficient) wuwuv. If I had played some Saturday and skipped wuwuv I'd probably have been 30+ easy.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular

I didn't give it much thought while I was playing the game, as I was just having fun, but I didn't give a flying shit about the Norn story. In fact, I ignored much of the personal story quest, and only did it because it was a green mark on my map. If it was a Dynamic Event I would have been all "Nah, fuck that I ain't chasing no god damn jackalope." I stopped doing the quest there and just finished off the rest of the hearts and skill points in Wayfarer Foothills after talking to the Minotaur spirit or whatever.

I was all pumped to play a Norn. Big ass viking looking giants that like to drink, fight and turn into bears and wolves. Shit yea, House of Stark baby! After playing through their starting area, I don't really want to anymore.

This discussion has been closed.