As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Fitness Group!

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I start the Kris Gethin regimen today. Wish me luck! I'll start posting pictures next week.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    TheTinMan wrote: »
    Woot! I ran 8.15 miles yesterday! It was 0.4 miles off of the farthest I've ever run in my life. My goal was to run 8.9, but my knee started bothering me. I was smart and stopped and the knee is fine.

Congrats man! That's an impressive acheivement!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I start the Kris Gethin regimen today. Wish me luck! I'll start posting pictures next week.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it goes for you.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

good luck!!

TheTinMan wrote: »
    Woot! I ran 8.15 miles yesterday! It was 0.4 miles off of the farthest I've ever run in my life. My goal was to run 8.9, but my knee started bothering me. I was smart and stopped and the knee is fine.

In other news: in case there weren't enough ways to track and gauge progress Nerd Fitness has a deliciously nerdy six-week challenge going up today. The rules are here.

congrats on your long run! I am not a runner myself, and for that reason, always stand in awe of those who are.

I don't have time to join another community, but I read through the entire nerd fitness challenge and it sounds awesome, so I think I'm going to just do it without actually posting about it on their forum. I have given myself the following goals:

DIET/FITNESS GOALS:
    1.) Get up the stairs before the door closes.*
    2.) Track food every day.
    3.) Go to the gym 2x per week, & long dog walk 3x per week.

LIFE GOALS:
    4.) Keep my Amex bill to under $XXX (everyone doesn't need to know what I spend!) in May

* this goal requires explanation. as previously cited, I work on the 1st floor of my building and go to the bathroom on the 3rd floor (for the fitbit points, of course). so the door to the stairwell on the first floor closes REAAALLLY slowly. and it creaks the whole way, so it's easy to tell when it has finally closed. since I started taking the stairs, I also made a game out trying to see whether or not I could make it all the way up the stairs (two LONG flights) before the door closed. well I kept getting better and better, but eventually I peaked at 1.5 floors. and I figured I just couldn't do any better than that. but see, secretly, I think I can. I started off just walking, then walking faster, then running, then running while using the bannister to slingshot myself around corners... and then I ran out of ways to improve. but I think, if I could just increase my speed a little (and my stamina, for that matter) I could maybe run up the stairs two at a time, and thereby be fast enough to beat the door. so that's goal number one. because while I'm decently strong, and pretty agile, I have terrible speed and crap endurance. so this is the exact kind of challenge I need to improve the areas where I'm weak.

so anyway, these are my goals. and by achieving them I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds over the 6 weeks of the challenge. we'll see. but I just thought I'd post them here to make myself accountable. feel free to ask me how I'm doing on them!!!

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Great goals Beth! I hear you on not having time to join other communities, which is why this is pretty much my only thread on PA. Until Pokecrawl signups begin, of course.

And racing up stairs is fun. I used to do it in college all the time: I lived on the 5th floor and would race my friends who took the elevator. I usually won :D

I'm in awe of people like this.

Edit: My 6-week challenge goals
    To summarize:
    FITNESS/HEALTH:
    1) Run in the Boston Run to Remember Half Marathon
    2) Do bodyweight strength workouts 2-3 times per week
    3) Sleep 7+ Hours most nights
    4) Brush Twice/Floss Once Daily

LIFE:
    1) Consistently arrive at work at 8:30 or earlier

TheTinMan on
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

DIET/FITNESS GOALS:
    1.) Get up the stairs before the door closes.*

That goal is awesome. Two at a time stairs will get you there, for sure. That's a workout anyone can get behind.. and it'll work that too ;)

edited May 2012
    Woohoo!! Even being in training all day I was able to fit in an extra walk than usual at lunch and broke 7700 steps! It's so gorgeous out that I might even take a long walk after dinner.

Plus my Aria scale comes today! I won't use it to weight myself until tomorrow morning but I'll get it all set up tonight.

FitBit FTW!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TryfanTryfan Registered User regular
    Fitbit coming in tomorrow and I can't wait. First goal: don't eat so much pizza. It's lofty I know, but I have to start somewhere.

PSN/XBL/Twitter: tryfan2k2 3DS: 0645-5860-0116
    edited May 2012
    Tryfan wrote: »
    Fitbit coming in tomorrow and I can't wait. First goal: don't eat so much pizza. It's lofty I know, but I have to start somewhere.

And walk more, since you bought a FitBit. :)

Cannot recommend Weight Watchers enough if you need some help with portion control!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Woohoo!! Even being in training all day I was able to fit in an extra walk than usual at lunch and broke 7700 steps! It's so gorgeous out that I might even take a long walk after dinner.

Plus my Aria scale comes today! I won't use it to weight myself until tomorrow morning but I'll get it all set up tonight.

FitBit FTW!

I took a page out of the Chorazin book and ordered the aria from Amazon after canceling our order with fitbit. Ours arrived today now instead of waiting 2-4 weeks! My husband hooked it up and said it works flawlessly.

edited May 2012
    28_original_img_1323743391_27_.jpg

Getting these beauties in the mail this week! This will be my third pair, I'll be wearing these just casually since they look more like regular shoes. I have the KSO version for rougher terrain and the Bikila LS version for my workouts. Most comfy shoe EVER!

FitBit FTW!

I took a page out of the Chorazin book and ordered the aria from Amazon after canceling our order with fitbit. Ours arrived today now instead of waiting 2-4 weeks! My husband hooked it up and said it works flawlessly.

Awesome! I always go with Amazon no matter what it is. Best service ever. :)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    I suggested the Aria to my wife as perhaps a nice father's day gift.. she asked me if, at that price, the scale would be preparing my dinners for me as well.. ;)

That being said, my FitBit arrives today; excited to get started on that (been doing well regardless, but more gadgets is always good). I thought FitBit Ultra would come with a premium membership, but I see from what I'm reading that this is not the case. Oh well.

I'm vttym on fitbit if anyone here wants to add me.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I've decided that if I can hold to this diet with no faltering for a month, I'ma get a fitbit as a reward. So, basically, I'll be getting a fitbit in a month because I have an iron-will that I want to turn into iron abs.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    vttym wrote: »
    I suggested the Aria to my wife as perhaps a nice father's day gift.. she asked me if, at that price, the scale would be preparing my dinners for me as well.. ;)

That being said, my FitBit arrives today; excited to get started on that (been doing well regardless, but more gadgets is always good). I thought FitBit Ultra would come with a premium membership, but I see from what I'm reading that this is not the case. Oh well.

I'm vttym on fitbit if anyone here wants to add me.

You need to share your public profile url, can't search by name! Feel free to add me: http://www.fitbit.com/user/2336J9

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Highly frustrated right now - been trying to install the software and get the tracker synched, and it's just not working. Followed every bit of troubleshooting to no avail. Have a service request in now, but have to say I am not pleased with not being able to get this thing working from the start. Shame.. I'm hoping their customer service can come to the rescue here.

*sigh*

Highly frustrated right now - been trying to install the software and get the tracker synched, and it's just not working. Followed every bit of troubleshooting to no avail. Have a service request in now, but have to say I am not pleased with not being able to get this thing working from the start. Shame.. I'm hoping their customer service can come to the rescue here.

*sigh*

So, software is installed, you put the fitbit on the stand, put in the PIN that shows up on the tracker and that's not working?

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

*sigh*

Make sure you install the software /before/ plugging in the base station.

So, software is installed, you put the fitbit on the stand, put in the PIN that shows up on the tracker and that's not working?

I never get the pin. It's failing before that step.. I get to the instruction screen, hook everything up, see the battery indicator. Wait for that to go away, hit the button, just see the battery indicator again. If I click next, it searches for a bit, then tells me the tracker has not responded to requests.

zerzhul wrote: »

Did that each time I've installed or uninstalled/reinstalled.

I never get the pin. It's failing before that step.. I get to the instruction screen, hook everything up, see the battery indicator. Wait for that to go away, hit the button, just see the battery indicator again. If I click next, it searches for a bit, then tells me the tracker has not responded to requests.

Weird, I hope you get it resolved soon!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

That definitely sucks. That's the exact issue my wife had, but it was solved by unplugging the base station and plugging it back in, with the device off of it. Ah well, can't have 100% success rate on any product.

edited May 2012
    Got the FitBit Aria set up last night! For some reason it didn't sync my first weigh in (which IMO is fine, it was at night and I was way heavier than in the morning) but today it worked just fine and only a slight deviation from my previous scale. I really like the way it works and looks.

I hope they add in water weight in a firmware update, since they're calculating BMI I would think they could use the same signal for both, but I'm not really sure how that tech works.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular

you should try commenting on the support/help forum on their website. that is where I have gotten the fastest response time. and yes, they definitely still have some bugs to work out in terms of their software. the first time I installed it wouldn't sync my fitbit wirelessly. had to uninstall and reinstall to get that part working. but at least their customer service is pretty responsive!

and thanks for the prop on the stairs goal! it'll be hard but I think I can get there!

and if you PM me your email address I'll invite you to the PAX fitbit group!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    I have now joined the fitbit group. I'm glad my nearest EB is a moderate distance away. Each time I buy a game, I'm going to walk there. Steam is not helping with this exercise model...

I have now joined the fitbit group. I'm glad my nearest EB is a moderate distance away. Each time I buy a game, I'm going to walk there. Steam is not helping with this exercise model...

Post the link to your public profile so we can add you as a friend, too! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

Post the link to your public profile so we can add you as a friend, too! :)

Here is mine: https://www.fitbit.com/user/232L7R

My public profile is http://www.fitbit.com/user/233VGF

Beth - PM inc

Beth - PM inc

Any more luck getting the FitBit to connect?

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    I love all you people, this is the best group. I may have to get a fitbit after seeing everyone here go crazy for them. Not in the immediate future, but viewable on the horizon.

PAX East is sooner than we think, ladies and gentlemen. I, for one, will be prepared.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited May 2012
    I love all you people, this is the best group. I may have to get a fitbit after seeing everyone here go crazy for them. Not in the immediate future, but viewable on the horizon.

PAX East is sooner than we think, ladies and gentlemen. I, for one, will be prepared.

You can sign up for a free account now without a fitbit. I used it for a while stand alone to log activities and track calories (aka have it tell me how many more I can eat based on my activity levels that day). It works REALLLLLY well for that even without the fitbit.

adias.angel on

Beth - PM inc

Nope.. tried it on another computer, followed the right steps (download software, install software, setup account, hook up base station, plug in fitbit.. fail

Support has been non-responsive both in my attempted email communication and forum post.

Automated email said to give them 48 hours. They now have 24. Trying not to let it frustrate me, and just focus on how great it will be when it works fully.

Beth - PM inc

Nope.. tried it on another computer, followed the right steps (download software, install software, setup account, hook up base station, plug in fitbit.. fail

Support has been non-responsive both in my attempted email communication and forum post.

Automated email said to give them 48 hours. They now have 24. Trying not to let it frustrate me, and just focus on how great it will be when it works fully.

If you bought it through somewhere like amazon, you may be able to return it for a replacement.

• LimondLimond Registered User regular
    I'm glad the idea I started back at the first Pax East has gotten so popular. I'm also glad that someone with a hint of organization skill took hold of it. Next next Pax East I hope to be down 80 pounds to around 200. Exams ended today so I'll have a bit more time. The summer will hopefully be a long enough time where I can learn how to cook well enough so I don't eat out every day of the week. Tomorrow I plan on starting the couch-to-5k plan http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Weigh-in day later when I wake up. I don't know what to think. I think I had a decent week. Besides Saturday (which I don't think was that bad), I went over my point total maybe twice, but by only a few points. I also played hockey on Monday for two hours (tons of playing time since it was only a scrimmage with minimal people), so hopefully with my leagues starting up I will pick up on my losing.

I have been back and forth with 228.8-227.4 or something like that for the past 2-3 weeks. If I hit 226 I will be happy. If I go back into the 230s, I will be a sad (fat) panda.

Ice hockey fun time on Friday, my first ice hockey game since high school on Sunday, and first floor hockey game of the new season on Monday. Should be a good week this coming weight loss week.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited May 2012
    Man, the weighing myself every day using the FitBit Aria is killing me. I know weight fluxuates and my Sunday weight is the only one that really matters, but its disheartening to see my weight go up the past two days for no apparent reason. I just get so angry. :(

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    redfield85 wrote: »

I have been back and forth with 228.8-227.4 or something like that for the past 2-3 weeks. If I hit 226 I will be happy. If I go back into the 230s, I will be a sad (fat) panda.

Plateaus suck, but keep at it. Friend of mine (who has lost 180 lbs so far) was on a plateau for almost 2 months. I think someone on here had a similar situation. Keep that focus up! :)

Man, the weighing myself every day using the FitBit Aria is killing me. I know weight fluxuates and my Sunday weight is the only one that really matters, but its disheartening to see my weight go up the past two days for no apparent reason. I just get so angry. :(

Agreed. We have had it two days and I have already decided I am going to weight myself but only look at the numbers once a week.

I always take fluctuations under 2% with a grain of salt anyway. If I lose 10lbs, I go to the grocery store and pick up a bag of potatoes and say "I'm not carrying this around anymore"

edited May 2012

Agreed. We have had it two days and I have already decided I am going to weight myself but only look at the numbers once a week.

I thought the same thing, and then I realized that when you log into your dashboard the very top shows the weight you've lost towards your goal. Le sigh.

EDIT: I googled for some info about weight flux, and apparently everyone can flux by up to 5 pounds a day. That actually makes me feel a lot better. I think I'll stick with doing the scale every day, but only my Sunday one will matter.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

Plateaus suck, but keep at it. Friend of mine (who has lost 180 lbs so far) was on a plateau for almost 2 months. I think someone on here had a similar situation. Keep that focus up! :)

I'm not worried. I don't even count it as a plateau. I sprained my ankle and all my hockey leagues finished. I played hockey once this week for an extended period and I just weighed in at 227.2 (1lb lost). So, I am now debating on bailing on the Avengers at the Movie Tavern on Saturday to play some ice hockey since we aren't doing our usual tomorrow afternoon. I didn't want to see it in 3D anyway.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
This discussion has been closed.