As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

Don't take this as shitting on the game, which I am looking forward to as much as anyone, but announcing that you can play with people in different regions like it's a new feature seems utterly backwards.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I don't understand...is your "home region" tied to your Bnet account? What's to stop a bunch of asian gold farmers from saying "Yes, we're american!" and then flooding our RMAH?

• onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    no it doesn't? the game isn't region locked, so you don't need to buy multiple accounts if you have friends playing on asia server or euro server.

plus d2 was split us east, us west, asia, europe, etc.

onesixty2 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    You said it yourself "roll the dice on slots" We need a more guaranteed source of gear then throwing gold into a slot machine. This could all change though. If it does, we will still have that gold to pump into both artisans, so really its a win win.

Yes, I did, but being able to 'roll the dice' on level 10 Magic Shoulder gear when all you're wearing are whites is an advantage. Or a Rare Weapon. Or a shield, etc, etc. Especially since some of the gear have specific stats and some extra random attributes, you're still potentially getting less random output than the whims of the RNG. It also lets you turn your gold directly and immediately into extra rolls of the dice in specific slots at specific rarities, rather than hoping to build enough RMAH cash through gold sales to perhaps get something.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging your method of pursuing whatever goal you set for yourselves, just offering some advice.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Bhaalen, you might rethink the gold thing in regards to your Artisans. I'm not sure that selling it will be all that profitable on the RMAH.

Although, you do have the fallback of then having enormous gold reserves to buy things on the regular AH, so its not a bad plan either way.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Interesting. No RMAH for the first week.

Well, that makes me feel better about not having the cash to play arbitrage games with.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    New dev interview (Jay Wilson) up at Gamespot.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes, I did, but being able to 'roll the dice' on level 10 Magic Shoulder gear when all you're wearing are whites is an advantage. Or a Rare Weapon. Or a shield, etc, etc. Especially since some of the gear have specific stats and some extra random attributes, you're still potentially getting less random output than the whims of the RNG. It also lets you turn your gold directly and immediately into extra rolls of the dice in specific slots at specific rarities, rather than hoping to build enough RMAH cash through gold sales to perhaps get something.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging your method of pursuing whatever goal you set for yourselves, just offering some advice.

Looking at the recipes for the upper end artisans, it looks like there's the potential to flesh out areas of RNG failure at least right at 60.

Blacksmith max level
    Jeweler max level

The Jeweler appears to be the only way to get usage out of your low level gems once you've outleveled them. (It houses the horadric cube recipes for upgrading gems, essentially, so you have to have a level x Jeweler to change your 3xlevel-x-gem into 1xlevel-x+1-gem)

The recipes at max level blacksmith appear to generate level 60 rares, which will allow you to target specific slots that you've had trouble finding drops for and have a good chance of getting a significant upgrade that will boost your power for hell/inferno. Granted once you're farming Inferno, the rare drops there will likely be better than what you can craft, but there's something to be said for the guaranteed upgrade for a particular slot that allows you to farm quicker until something better drops.

• BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    Bhaalen, you might rethink the gold thing in regards to your Artisans. I'm not sure that selling it will be all that profitable on the RMAH.

Although, you do have the fallback of then having enormous gold reserves to buy things on the regular AH, so its not a bad plan either way.

Your right about gold, I don't think in the long run it will be all that profitable. In week 2 though, there are gonna be alot of meta gamers who who raced to inferno wiping over and over. From what blizz said, repair costs are through the roof. It's all speculation on my part, but I think there are gonna be some seriously gold deprived individuals in weeks 2-6, and that because of this I'm going to make a killing on it. In one of the Blizz interviews they say that gold drops in stack of like 400 and it STILL isn't enough for repairs. Think about how much gold it takes to level just blacksmithing.

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    I think my favorite part of the auction house is maximum number of 10 audits per person per AH. People won't be flooding the AH with stacks of 1 of something, or just garbage, making it hard to find good, competitively priced items. And if someone wants to be an AH whore, they have to spend serious amount of time re-listing shit as soon as they get room. Will help those of us who don't have time to "play" the AH.
    Yeah, this is a great system and much better than having a deposit fee for listing items as was the original plan.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If by "complete Inferno" you mean defeat the final boss, I think it will be done by a group before it's done by an individual. I would imagine that the final boss battle or whatever will require a full team of 4 and if one person dies during the event the group is probably sunk. It will most likely be 3 or 4 people succeeding all at once. I'm not saying it will be impossible in single player, just more likely to be beaten that first time as a group.

Edit: I'm tired I keep leaving out

El Guaco on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Wizard reveal is up. Go get your last banner sigil.

steam_sig.png
    The recipes at max level blacksmith appear to generate level 60 rares, which will allow you to target specific slots that you've had trouble finding drops for and have a good chance of getting a significant upgrade that will boost your power for hell/inferno. Granted once you're farming Inferno, the rare drops there will likely be better than what you can craft, but there's something to be said for the guaranteed upgrade for a particular slot that allows you to farm quicker until something better drops.
    But it's not a guaranteed upgrade. The stats could just as easily roll worse than your current item. I think there's some good logic to Bhaalen's idea of just saving money to buy exactly what you want (that is available on the AH) for a higher price rather than rolling the dice potentially a dozen times (where each dice roll costs a chunk of gold and, perhaps more importantly, salvaged items).

I mean I won't be doing that, since I'm going to be all about leveling up my crafters and shit, but I think for someone racing to be the first at something, there's something to be said for trying to take randomness out of the equation where possible.

LTM wrote: »

Your right about gold, I don't think in the long run it will be all that profitable. In week 2 though, there are gonna be alot of meta gamers who who raced to inferno wiping over and over. From what blizz said, repair costs are through the roof. It's all speculation on my part, but I think there are gonna be some seriously gold deprived individuals in weeks 2-6, and that because of this I'm going to make a killing on it. In one of the Blizz interviews they say that gold drops in stack of like 400 and it STILL isn't enough for repairs. Think about how much gold it takes to level just blacksmithing.

I don't know, open beta had people getting like 7k gold per hour or something, and that's just from the first 13 levels.

Who knows how they will change the drop rate, but I'm getting the feeling that Blizz doesn't want people just straight up selling gold, and will use their fee + Paypal fees to sort of enforce that.

But, I could turn out to be entirely wrong. There's certainly worse ideas than hoarding gold for a week or two, though.

Looking at the recipes for the upper end artisans, it looks like there's the potential to flesh out areas of RNG failure at least right at 60.

Blacksmith max level
    Jeweler max level

The Jeweler appears to be the only way to get usage out of your low level gems once you've outleveled them. (It houses the horadric cube recipes for upgrading gems, essentially, so you have to have a level x Jeweler to change your 3xlevel-x-gem into 1xlevel-x+1-gem)

I'm definitely going to have to remain flexible on this. If I'm wrong and gold prices are weak, then it's getting pumped into artisans. The point is, if I'm right, then I make money and buy good gear. If I'm wrong I fast level artisans and get hold over gear. Looking at the total cost to level JC (140,000) It might get leveled anyway sometime in Hell difficulty. It all depends on something I can't know yet, and that's the price of gold in weeks 2-6.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

what's this about?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't suppose someone's already come across a youtube compilation with samples of how all the male/female class voice actors sound?

I would be curious if such a thing existed as well.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    They brought back all the numpad character taunts and comments as well, for those that didn't notice. In fact, there are way more than there were in Diablo 2.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    Zek wrote: »
    By the way, has Blizzard ever commented about how high the gold values are going to go? They didn't add multiple types of coins for some reason, and in the beta you're already dealing in thousands of gold for kid stuff. If the money growth rate is anything like say WoW, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see AH prices in the billions. Even if they manage to handle inflation so it doesn't lose its value it just seems weird to be throwing around numbers like that.
    I wondered about this myself, but I think we won't see nearly as much of an increase in the size of gold drops and the vendor values of items from 1 to max level as we do in WoW, which should alleviate this problem.

In WoW, you're getting like 5 copper from humanoids you kill early on, or like 5 silver as a quest reward. A low level gray weapon vendors for maybe 1 silver. At max level, you're looting like 50 silver or 1 gold (1,000x to 2,000x increase), getting 25 gold from quests (500x increase), and vendoring gray weapons for 5 gold (500x increase). The increase in money scale from the early game to the end game is massive.

In the D3 beta, we were seeing gold piles of 10-40 dropping, and blue items that vendored for 100-200 gold. It wouldn't surprise me if at level 60, these values were maybe only like 10x-20x higher typically. If the scaling up is kept relatively slow as the game progresses, we shouldn't see too insane of numbers. At least not until after the first expansion. In D2, your stash could hold up to 3 million or so gold if you were near max level, and I don't think those numbers were too crazy to work with or read easily.

But yeah, if we're dealing with billions, I think Blizzard's going to want to add in Platinum or Sanctuarium or whatever denomination.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't suppose someone's already come across a youtube compilation with samples of how all the male/female class voice actors sound?

I would be curious if such a thing existed as well.

Looked for it yesterday and couldn't find a compilation, but did come across this for barbarian. Related videos on the right have the link to monk. That's all I found.

Page- wrote: »
    They brought back all the numpad character taunts and comments as well, for those that didn't notice. In fact, there are way more than there were in Diablo 2.
    Yeah, they added comments to 8 and 9 as well (I believe D2 + LoD had ones for 0-7). I think 8 was for "hold on" or "wait" kinds of comments, and I forget what 9 was.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

what's this about?

reveal.diablo3.com
    forty wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Yeah, they added comments to 8 and 9 as well (I believe D2 + LoD had ones for 0-7). I think 8 was for "hold on" or "wait" kinds of comments, and I forget what 9 was.

HELP ME! No, I have no idea what 9 was lol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Wait, the RMAH will let you buy an item for gold -or- real money? Does the seller set both prices? Do you -have- to sell an item for gold AND real money?

I'm definitely going to have to remain flexible on this. If I'm wrong and gold prices are weak, then it's getting pumped into artisans. The point is, if I'm right, then I make money and buy good gear. If I'm wrong I fast level artisans and get hold over gear. Looking at the total cost to level JC (140,000) It might get leveled anyway sometime in Hell difficulty. It all depends on something I can't know yet, and that's the price of gold in weeks 2-6.

The aspect I was trying to bring your attention to was the early leveling items, where getting simply an equal level Magic piece in the slot rather than having it potentially sit empty or using a White level piece there would result in a massive upgrade almost no matter what you rolled. Granted, you and your team plan to power through quickly enough that perhaps you'll leave those lower tiers behind so quickly they'd only spot you so far, but that was more what I was speaking of. I only levelled 5 characters to 13 (plus two more to 10), but most of them generally had crappy bracers, shoulders and helms by the time the crafted items became available. Even rolling the dice on each a few times generally resulted in a hell of an upgrade over the white/shitty magic piece I had at the time, which could help make those early levels when just about everything sucks smoother.

Granted, since Normal is basically the Tutorial/on training wheels, perhaps it won't matter, but it seemed like something to ponder. Obviously your crew can change things up in an instant by dropping 10-20K into the BS and a few crafted pieces if the RNG is against you. But you're right, a lot of it is speculation on speculation. We'll just have to find out in 2 weeks.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So that new tv spot (the second one)

I don't know about you guys, but I definitely saw:
    two angels throwing down.

Fuck yes. I want to pluck Tyrael's wings from his stupid back.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait, the RMAH will let you buy an item for gold -or- real money? Does the seller set both prices? Do you -have- to sell an item for gold AND real money?

No, they're two separate auction houses. You only sell in one currency.

There's a real money auction house (RMAH) and a gold auction house. They are separate from each other.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    AH ok, cool.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    If beta is anything to go by, only weapon will matter early. If I were racing through I'd go for max DPS weapon and +XP and +gold on everything else, even if it meant sacrificing defense. At least until shit starts to get real.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I think it's RMAH you BUY for real money, the SELLER then gets $$ or BB (which has to be specified at creation of auction, not close).
    Then there is a regular AH, you BUY for gold, and SELLER gets game gold.

edit: Forgot to say, the tab on my browser cuts the thread title at "Diablo walks ...", so now I feel like the thread title should be changed to a bar joke.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    They way they're talking, I think defenses will start to really matter at some point in Nightmare (maybe as early as A1). But whatever the case, if you've accumulated a lot of gold over the course of Normal, you've probably got your Blacksmith at a respectable level, which means you'll have access to perfectly acceptable craftable stuff.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, I was kind of operating in a self-imposed media blackout on this game which ended completely after the open beta weekend. Just getting more and more excited now...

For leveling artisans, looks like you are going to need a crap-ton of tomes. Wonder how easy these will be to come by... I'd bet getting to lvl 10 is going to take a fair amount of grinding. That said, if you're one of the first people get the top level JC recipes, you could potentially make a killing.

I'd imagine that in the first couple of weeks, gear is going to be the most popular stuff. People will be leveling, and due to RNG you usually end up with a slot or two that's way out of date.

BolognaOni on
    BolognaOni wrote: »
    For leveling artisans, looks like you are going to need a crap-ton of tomes. Wonder how easy these will be to come by... I'd bet getting to lvl 10 is going to take a fair amount of grinding. That said, if you're one of the first people get the top level JC recipes, you could potentially make a killing.

I'm thinking the tome pages/tomes will actually be a decent sale on the RMAH. I think those are going to be a relatively high hurdle to leveling artisans.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    It's kind of depressing to me in an action rpg game that everyone is getting all excited about grinding stuff early to capitalize on the money aspect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see people shelling out a lot of cash to get a crafted item off an auction house. You never know until you try though, I guess.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    Oh, about that D3 Reveal site. Do you get the banner you create at the site in game? Or a premade one corresponding to the class? I just clicked my way through the Barbarian one a few weeks ago just to see what would happen, and I'm pretty sure the banner I made was awful.

Oh, about that D3 Reveal site. Do you get the banner you create at the site in game? Or a premade one corresponding to the class? I just clicked my way through the Barbarian one a few weeks ago just to see what would happen, and I'm pretty sure the banner I made was awful.

By making and submitting one, you unlock the relavent class icon as a banner option in game.

If you give a shit, I believe there's supposed to be a chance (maybe next week?) to go back and get ones you didn't the first time around.

edited May 2012
    I'm curious if, say, Act 4 gear will salvage into more materials than Act 1 gear, or if you'll always just get 1 scrap per item (besides the lucky rare/legendary scrap proc).

By making and submitting one, you unlock the relavent class icon as a banner option in game.
    OK, good. I was hoping I wasn't going to be stuck with the dumb random one I made.
    Forar wrote:
    If you give a shit, I believe there's supposed to be a chance (maybe next week?) to go back and get ones you didn't the first time around.
    Yeah, it's next week, since we just had the last class open up today. I'll go back and hit up the ones I didn't feel like doing at the time (knowing that I could just do them all at the end anyway).

forty on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    It's kind of depressing to me in an action rpg game that everyone is getting all excited about grinding stuff early to capitalize on the money aspect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see people shelling out a lot of cash to get a crafted item off an auction house. You never know until you try though, I guess.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people see an Auction House and start salivating at playing the economic side of the game.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be as complex or fruitful as playing the WoW auction house, but we'll see.

• BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    I don't plan on using the RMAH at all, but I do find in-game economies pretty interesting. I am really interested to see how this method monetization works out though. I know some people are against it, but I sort of feel like it's the ideal method for a game like this. Now, if it's successful at generating income, but that doesn't result in re-investment in the IP, I'd be disappointed. The current state of WoW does not leave me overly optimistic, but a guy can hope, right?

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks. Some people see an Auction House and start salivating at playing the economic side of the game.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be as complex or fruitful as playing the WoW auction house, but we'll see.
    Also we've been over this 10000 times.

The d2 real money trade is still alive and well, there's no reason to think d3 will be any different, this is just an official way to do it.

It doesn't matter how many babies cry about the RMAH.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.