As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I just make tiny mistakes in my day to day life, and they snowball and become huge mistakes, and when I realize where I am everything is ruined.

That is my life so far.

I am very sure you are exaggerating. You are 20. Nothing is ruined. Nothing is fucked.

Many things are. My life isn't, but so far every attempt at improving it or at least getting it to a state where I'm not a burden has failed because of this.

What kind of mistakes are you making?

Well, for one, hiding my problems from everyone for years and just letting them think I'm lazy made me unable to get almost any learning out of my high school education, which translated into me not getting into a good college.

Then attributing all those problems to another problem I have instead of disclosing my actual symptoms to a therapist made me waste another 3 years of my life, and getting neither problem dealt with.

I make tons of tiny mistakes due to that first problem (ADD) and they've ended in me dropping out of college once and being on the verge of just failing on my first semester this time.

Disco: You are me.

I know exactly how you feel, every little bit.

I know what it feels like to think that you're lazy, and a burden, and a failure, and for everyone else to believe it too, when you honest to god are trying your hardest to succeed (but you are having a really hard time being really sure that you are trying your hardest, because the issue is in the trying itself).

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Don't assume you know what other people are thinking.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

That's awesome advice Castle!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I think this is why I get thrown off my game when someone on my team is micromanaging and judging each decision. I don't feel free to intuitively play, and I'm really good at that style of play.

This is sort of how I feel, but I do like having a "general" who watches the map and gives very broad commands. So, like, we're working as a team and have some direction, but each of us are free to play in our style.

Yeah, for some reason I don't often fill that role in LoL. I do in shooters, because I have a good grasp of spatial awareness while murdering the fuck out of everyone.

It's like, can't you just use the force and feel where everyone is on the map?
    Super Monday Night Combat!

It's a MOBA and a shooter!

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I really hate the whole "last hitting" thing.
    is that what it sounds like

kill stealing as a game mechanic

No. If you kill the enemy minion, you get gold. If you do not, but another minion or hero does, you do not get the gold.

Gold is gained through 3 things: last hits on minions, killing enemy heroes and taking objectives (towers, neutral monsters).

In DotA you could "deny" which was killing your own minions so the enemy couldn't, but that led to slower and more boring gameplay apparently.

I find last hitting very relaxing and fun.

Only according to LoL's marketing campaign, in reality that is complete bullshit

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    last hitting isn't really kill stealing at all. more often than not if you failed to get the last hit, the minion just died naturally to a turret or some minions on your team.

what i'm saying is that if you end the game with hardly any gold it's probably not because teammates stole your last hits, it's because you suck at last hitting.

also you're bad in bed and a poor chef.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    You don't have to last hit in SMNC right? It's just based on like, if you did damage or how much damage you deal to the minions.

I remember it being pretty fun. Having to last hit would probably be really awful in SMNC
    Everyone who damaged a bot in the last 5 seconds gets paid in SMNC. It's one of the three things I really like about it, that makes it more fun for me than LoL.

I'm not saying it's necessarily better, just different, and I enjoy it more.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I remember a while back arguing in chat that certain sports (like boxing) that involve repeated head impacts are inhumane and we should stop encouraging them. I was also wondering if football could be included in that category.

Well, Malcolm Gladwell seems to think so: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/intelligence_squared/2012/04/the_next_slate_intelligence_squared_debate_is_may_8_why_malcolm_gladwell_thinks_we_should_ban_college_football_.html
    Slate: Is unacceptable risk intrinsic to football, or could rule changes and equipment modifications salvage the game?

Gladwell: You can certainly mitigate the risk. But remember the issue isn't concussions. It is "repetitive subconcussive impact." It's not the one big hit. It is the cumulative effect of thousands of little hits that lineman and defensive backs (the most affected positions) endure, play after play. Can you take the "head" out of line play? You can. But then what you are left with would no longer be called tackle football. It would be called touch football.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish SMNC had come out on the xbox

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that exactly.

I mean to say, I really know what it feels like to fuck up in school because of ADD. I can't assume you've had the exact same experience that I've had, but the things you've said so far remind me a lot of myself.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

That's awesome advice Castle!

Yeah, trying to guess what other people are thinking seems to cause a lot of people (myself included) much pain.

Really, they're probably not staring at your tiny zit or wondering why you're having a bad hair day.

So I mostly try not to unless I'm putting myself in their derpy shoes while they're trying to play FPS games.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

No. If you kill the enemy minion, you get gold. If you do not, but another minion or hero does, you do not get the gold.

Gold is gained through 3 things: last hits on minions, killing enemy heroes and taking objectives (towers, neutral monsters).

In DotA you could "deny" which was killing your own minions so the enemy couldn't, but that led to slower and more boring gameplay apparently.

Only according to LoL's marketing campaign, in reality that is complete bullshit

The super annoying thing was back in LoL when there was 1 person who could deny, and he could use it to control the lane. Being able to push the lane by attacking and de-push by denying was really frustrating when there was only one dude that could do it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Organichu wrote: »
    last hitting isn't really kill stealing at all. more often than not if you failed to get the last hit, the minion just died naturally to a turret or some minions on your team.

what i'm saying is that if you end the game with hardly any gold it's probably not because teammates stole your last hits, it's because you suck at last hitting.

plus the meta right now has no lane competing for last hits.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    hahaha, from coalcares:

inhalerart-elmo.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I wish SMNC had come out on the xbox

i don't

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hey Winky, Al Green is going to be at Ravinia on Saturday, June 15th. Liz and I are going to have lawn seats ($16/per) and picnic for a bit beforehand if you guys might be interested.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    My toenails are clipped. I am a fresh and sexy man again.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm off to go home, have some food since i'm STARVING, maybe workout, and then maybe play some LoL.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth

Right, but this is at high levels.

At normal levels most teams don't even have a jungler, much less a support who doesn't get any last hits.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that exactly.

I mean to say, I really know what it feels like to fuck up in school because of ADD. I can't assume you've had the exact same experience that I've had, but the things you've said so far remind me a lot of myself.

Winky, I wasn't criticizing your empathy at all in case you thought I was. Here's what you said, bold part is what I was talking about "I know what it feels like to think that you're lazy, and a burden, and a failure, and for everyone else to believe it too, when you honest to god are trying your hardest to succeed (but you are having a really hard time being really sure that you are trying your hardest, because the issue is in the trying itself). "

Don't assume people think you're a failure on purpose.

moniker wrote: »
    Hey Winky, Al Green is going to be at Ravinia on Saturday, June 15th. Liz and I are going to have lawn seats ($16/per) and picnic for a bit beforehand if you guys might be interested.

I will be in San Francisco!

I totally forgot, we haven't hung out in forever.

Let's see if we can't do something before I leave for San Fran around the 16thish.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Five anarchists apparently looking to make a destructive statement against society were arrested by federal authorities in Ohio for planning to use C-4 explosives to blow up a Cleveland area bridge.

Three of the five men; Douglas Wright, 26; Brandon Baxter, 20; and Anthony Hayne, 35, were arrested by members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force the evening of April 30, on conspiracy and charges of trying to use explosives to damage property affecting interstate commerce, said the FBI in a May 1 statement. Authorities also arrested Connor Stevens, 20, and Joshua Stafford, 23, but charges against the two are pending, said the FBI.

The men, self-proclaimed anarchists who formed into a small group had considered a series of evolving plots over several months under the watchful eye of federal authorities who were running an undercover sting operation.

According to the complaint, the men came to the FBI’s attention during an anarchist protest event last October. An FBI informant attended the protest and saw four of the men dressed in black, carrying anarchist flags and “acting differently than the other people in attendance.” The men, according to the informant, allegedly said “F--- that” when the protest organizers emphasized demonstrations should remain peaceful and to use civil disobedience tactics and not violence.

According to the complaint, the men allegedly told FBI undercover agent that they didn’t want to be thought of as terrorists. To that end, they allegedly discussed blocking off the bridge, pretending to be a construction crew, dropping with orange traffic cones and detonating the explosives at night when there wasn’t any traffic.

aRkpc.gif

The super annoying thing was back in LoL when there was 1 person who could deny, and he could use it to control the lane. Being able to push the lane by attacking and de-push by denying was really frustrating when there was only one dude that could do it.

Who could do it?

At normal levels most teams don't even have a jungler, much less a support who doesn't get any last hits.

what level are the people with whom you play?

i rarely play a game with all level 30 characters where there's no jungler

usually if it happens it's on our team when we're fucking around and doing team pirate or team ice or some goofy theme

what level are the people with whom you play?

i rarely play a game with all level 30 characters where there's no jungler

usually if it happens it's on our team when we're fucking around and doing team pirate or team ice or some goofy theme

Yeah, our premade 5 mans almost always adhere to the meta at this point. I'd kind of like to try some different stuff, honestly. We had double jungle once that was hilarious. Counter juuuungle!

Who could do it?

gangplank's E skill used to be targeted. you'd pick a friendly minion and kill it and it would give you some gold plus that movement speed buff it gives now

Soloqueue of course remains a complete crapfest.

Who could do it?

gangplank

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    For some reason, this reminds me of Chu

HPYq6.png

actually, mim:
    ssorrychuhadtodoit.jpg

Mim wrote: »
    For some reason, this reminds me of Chu

IM]

talking that talk, you'd best come correct

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    moniker wrote: »

I will be in San Francisco!

I totally forgot, we haven't hung out in forever.

Let's see if we can't do something before I leave for San Fran around the 16thish.

I'm actually heading to North Carolina on Thursday to see my new niece, but we can probably figure something out for next weekend. Maybe board game somethings.

moniker on
    I want to kiss that kitty's big fat face.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Five anarchists apparently looking to make a destructive statement against society were arrested by federal authorities in Ohio for planning to use C-4 explosives to blow up a Cleveland area bridge.

Three of the five men; Douglas Wright, 26; Brandon Baxter, 20; and Anthony Hayne, 35, were arrested by members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force the evening of April 30, on conspiracy and charges of trying to use explosives to damage property affecting interstate commerce, said the FBI in a May 1 statement. Authorities also arrested Connor Stevens, 20, and Joshua Stafford, 23, but charges against the two are pending, said the FBI.

The men, self-proclaimed anarchists who formed into a small group had considered a series of evolving plots over several months under the watchful eye of federal authorities who were running an undercover sting operation.

According to the complaint, the men came to the FBI’s attention during an anarchist protest event last October. An FBI informant attended the protest and saw four of the men dressed in black, carrying anarchist flags and “acting differently than the other people in attendance.” The men, according to the informant, allegedly said “F--- that” when the protest organizers emphasized demonstrations should remain peaceful and to use civil disobedience tactics and not violence.

According to the complaint, the men allegedly told FBI undercover agent that they didn’t want to be thought of as terrorists. To that end, they allegedly discussed blocking off the bridge, pretending to be a construction crew, dropping with orange traffic cones and detonating the explosives at night when there wasn’t any traffic.

I'll say what I said on Facebook: Anarchists are the most powerful tool any would-be dictator could ever ask for in securing their power over the population.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I remember a while back arguing in chat that certain sports (like boxing) that involve repeated head impacts are inhumane and we should stop encouraging them. I was also wondering if football could be included in that category.

Well, Malcolm Gladwell seems to think so: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/intelligence_squared/2012/04/the_next_slate_intelligence_squared_debate_is_may_8_why_malcolm_gladwell_thinks_we_should_ban_college_football_.html
    Slate: Is unacceptable risk intrinsic to football, or could rule changes and equipment modifications salvage the game?

Gladwell: You can certainly mitigate the risk. But remember the issue isn't concussions. It is "repetitive subconcussive impact." It's not the one big hit. It is the cumulative effect of thousands of little hits that lineman and defensive backs (the most affected positions) endure, play after play. Can you take the "head" out of line play? You can. But then what you are left with would no longer be called tackle football. It would be called touch football.

You take the pads out of the game. Football:Rugby::Boxing:MMA

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    You take the pads out of the game. Football:Rugby::Boxing:MMA

That's not a terrible idea.

edited May 2012
    i'm not trying to say that you're all clueless sheeple but
    LOOK AT THE SCHEMATICS,
    ONLY THERMITE BURNS
    THAT HOT!

Organichu on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    or how about we have personal accountability and if 2 or more people agree to get in a ring or arena and beat each other up we let them

This discussion has been closed.