As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I notice we haven't seen Houk since he went to go try his copper paste. Odds he is dead and his cats are eating his eyeballs?

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    bah. anarchists today are wimps.

In the 19th / very early 20th centuries they bagged several sitting heads of state (including a US president and several kings) and were all setting off bombs in parliments and such. edit: and of course one rather famous Archduke.

Not failing to blow up a bridge in some flyover state.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Five anarchists apparently looking to make a destructive statement against society were arrested by federal authorities in Ohio for planning to use C-4 explosives to blow up a Cleveland area bridge.

Three of the five men; Douglas Wright, 26; Brandon Baxter, 20; and Anthony Hayne, 35, were arrested by members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force the evening of April 30, on conspiracy and charges of trying to use explosives to damage property affecting interstate commerce, said the FBI in a May 1 statement. Authorities also arrested Connor Stevens, 20, and Joshua Stafford, 23, but charges against the two are pending, said the FBI.

The men, self-proclaimed anarchists who formed into a small group had considered a series of evolving plots over several months under the watchful eye of federal authorities who were running an undercover sting operation.

According to the complaint, the men came to the FBI’s attention during an anarchist protest event last October. An FBI informant attended the protest and saw four of the men dressed in black, carrying anarchist flags and “acting differently than the other people in attendance.” The men, according to the informant, allegedly said “F--- that” when the protest organizers emphasized demonstrations should remain peaceful and to use civil disobedience tactics and not violence.

According to the complaint, the men allegedly told FBI undercover agent that they didn’t want to be thought of as terrorists. To that end, they allegedly discussed blocking off the bridge, pretending to be a construction crew, dropping with orange traffic cones and detonating the explosives at night when there wasn’t any traffic.

I'll say what I said on Facebook: Anarchists are the most powerful tool any would-be dictator could ever ask for in securing their power over the population.

Apropos of May Day.

haytitle4.gif

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    This is me when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed:

tViIV.gif

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    All I'm saying is on September 10th, there was a report that the Pentagon had found it couldn't account for over a trillion dollars of funding.

On Sept 11th that very financing office was destroyed by a "plane".

S'all I'm saying.

TOWER 7 IMPLODES

peace out

Ludious on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    or how about we have personal accountability and if 2 or more people agree to get in a ring or arena and beat each other up we let them

ohaistrawman

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i wonder what percentage of people could correctly identify the US presidents who've been assassinated (excepting jfk and lincoln, i mean)

Feral wrote: »
    I remember a while back arguing in chat that certain sports (like boxing) that involve repeated head impacts are inhumane and we should stop encouraging them. I was also wondering if football could be included in that category.

Well, Malcolm Gladwell seems to think so: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/intelligence_squared/2012/04/the_next_slate_intelligence_squared_debate_is_may_8_why_malcolm_gladwell_thinks_we_should_ban_college_football_.html
    Slate: Is unacceptable risk intrinsic to football, or could rule changes and equipment modifications salvage the game?

Gladwell: You can certainly mitigate the risk. But remember the issue isn't concussions. It is "repetitive subconcussive impact." It's not the one big hit. It is the cumulative effect of thousands of little hits that lineman and defensive backs (the most affected positions) endure, play after play. Can you take the "head" out of line play? You can. But then what you are left with would no longer be called tackle football. It would be called touch football.

You take the pads out of the game. Football:Rugby::Boxing:MMA

Boxing became far more dangerous when they added gloves. There were almost no recorded deaths in professional bare knuckle boxing and far fewer concussions.

Without gloves professionals would very rarely try to hit the other guy in the face or head. It just doesn't pay off because of the potential for damage to your own hands.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    or how about we have personal accountability and if 2 or more people agree to get in a ring or arena and beat each other up we let them

The industry has been covering up the impact the sport has on its players. I'm not sure if you're aware of the level of brain trauma that gives a person who's 30 the brain of a 90 year old late stage dementia/alzheimers patient.

Then again... if we go by personal accountability being the only stipulation, we could bring back gladiatorial to the death fights if both parties agree. Or duels. Bring on the duelin'!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

The industry has been covering up the impact the sport has on its players. I'm not sure if you're aware of the level of brain trauma that gives a person who's 30 the brain of a 90 year old late stage dementia/alzheimers patient.

Then again... if we go by personal accountability being the only stipulation, we could bring back gladiatorial to the death fights if both parties agree. Or duels. Bring on the duelin'!

I..don't disagree?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

you turn into a drag queen?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Don't assume you know what other people are thinking.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that exactly.

I mean to say, I really know what it feels like to fuck up in school because of ADD. I can't assume you've had the exact same experience that I've had, but the things you've said so far remind me a lot of myself.

I got that. It's good to be reminded that you're not the only one with your problems.

ADD is tough because you just can't help but feeling it's nothing and you're just not putting in the same effort as everyone else. No one ever thought I had ADD as a kid because I had so much interest in learning, so it just went undiagnosed (even though everyone kept calling me lazy and irresponsible), but as the difficulty of school ramped up I just couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried.

yGxvf.png
    can i be real for a second?

i'mma be real real

i'm pretty sure i'm never going to give to charity

not because i think they're corrupt or whatever- i just don't want to

i enjoy volunteering my time and helping people out and i could totally build a house for south americans or clean up a local school or become a doctor without borders or whatever

but in terms of straight cash naw fuck that, daddy gotta keep that tank full of premium

That's cool Chu

as long as you don't accept it either

Organichu wrote: »
    i wonder what percentage of people could correctly identify the US presidents who've been assassinated (excepting jfk and lincoln, i mean)

JFK, Lincoln, McKinley, ummmmmmm Martin Luther King, uhhhhh John Lennon

Time is money for a lot of people!

Personally, I make it rain.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    talking that talk, you'd best come correct
    If you're going to abort grammar so much as to type "best come correct," keep to the original ebonics and don't add the (grammatically correct) 'd to the end of you.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.

MALCOLM X UGH C'MON

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

A hot one. Who fake laughs and then smacks a heifer.

fierce

That's cool Chu

man if i were in nola i'da been like

gimme that shit, red cross

chomped down on all the MREs

drank all the bottled water

accepted all of the rebuilding funds

All the ones that angered Robert Todd Lincoln.

wow that was nice

I sent off an email earlier suggesting that the coffee bar stock bagels in addition to dessert stuff. The head of the cafeteria organization just came by my office to thank me and gave me a $10 card for the place.

Aparently they had been stocking them but there was a glitch in their process that meant that they weren't ordering enough and the defecit wasn't showing up on their reports. Now they have spotted the error.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

MALCOLM X UGH C'MON

I thought he was MLK's vice president

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

MALCOLM X UGH C'MON

Tupac
    Hendrix
    uhh oh yeah ELVIS.

Bethryn wrote: »
    talking that talk, you'd best come correct
    If you're going to abort grammar so much as to type "best come correct," keep to the original ebonics and don't add the (grammatically correct) 'd to the end of you.

oh we got some sort of linguistic aficionado, huh

you some sort of cultural surveyor?

this fukkin guy

spool32 wrote: »

MALCOLM X UGH C'MON

Tupac
    Hendrix
    uhh oh yeah ELVIS.

he wasn't president, he was king

8-)

That's cool Chu

man if i were in nola i'da been like

gimme that shit, red cross

chomped down on all the MREs

drank all the bottled water

accepted all of the rebuilding funds

Seeing as the red cross is a sham and most of that funding came out of the government's pocket anyway it's hardly charity.

People give to the red cross to feel warm and fuzzy while the red cross pockets the donations and only gives out the money the government has granted them.

It's a pretty good scam actually

i'mma be real real

i enjoy volunteering my time and helping people out and i could totally build a house for south americans or clean up a local school or become a doctor without borders or whatever

but in terms of straight cash naw fuck that, daddy gotta keep that tank full of premium

chu you are on fucking food stamps and your family is constantly trying to claw away what few assets you are able to earn.

You don't need to be giving to charity dude. Maybe in a couple decades if you suddenly realize you have a few hundred grand in the bank you can reevalute.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

A hot one. Who fake laughs and then smacks a heifer.

fierce

I can see the benefits to this approach

i'mma be real real

chu you are on fucking food stamps and your family is constantly trying to claw away what few assets you are able to earn.

You don't need to be giving to charity dude. Maybe in a couple decades if you suddenly realize you have a few hundred grand in the bank you can reevalute.

yeah i dunno

i imagine that my financial status informs my guessing what kind of not-poor-person i'll be in ten years

but my guess is that when i'm 35 and i get my christmas bonus and also i take my next vacation

i'll be like i'd rather go volunteer on my days off then write a check

even though optimally i should probably do both if i'm able

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    they announced skyrim DLC

by which i mean gave it a name and "lol find out more at e3"

mother. fucker.

this had better be one big goddamn DLC

taking goddamn forever

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

mother. fucker.

taking goddamn forever

you can ride the dragons.

Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

mother. fucker.

taking goddamn forever

you can ride the dragons.

You can do that now in half a dozen mods

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

Nothing wrong with personal accountability, that doesn't change the morality of promoting bloodsport. Which is not to say football qualifies, but personal accountability isn't a handwash.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Don't forget about Robert Kennedy and Malcolm X.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    sup skanks

desc, check out my new jam

mr mills would be proud, me thinks

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1

i'mma be real real

yeah i dunno

i imagine that my financial status informs my guessing what kind of not-poor-person i'll be in ten years

but my guess is that when i'm 35 and i get my christmas bonus and also i take my next vacation

i'll be like i'd rather go volunteer on my days off then write a check

even though optimally i should probably do both if i'm able

With few exceptions (extremely small charities with little operating needs) volunteering is valued more highly than cash donations. I'm eventually going to want to donate a good chunk of my paycheck to charity just because it is fairly important to me (at least, I hope to be able to afford to), but actually putting in the work is way better and a lot cheaper.

I put in today to volunteer at United Action for Youth. Gonna play videogames with kids! Teach them the way of the samurai.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Don't forget about Robert Kennedy and Malcolm X.
    Plus the band Franz Ferdinand. Their assassination led to the Americans' involvement in World War II.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.