As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    don't forget garfield

that was a dark, dark monday

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The 9 lives of Garfield is FUUUUCCCKED UP

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    they announced skyrim DLC

by which i mean gave it a name and "lol find out more at e3"

mother. fucker.

this had better be one big goddamn DLC

taking goddamn forever

you can ride the dragons.

You can do that now in half a dozen mods

you can ride the werewolves too.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    yeah i dunno

i imagine that my financial status informs my guessing what kind of not-poor-person i'll be in ten years

but my guess is that when i'm 35 and i get my christmas bonus and also i take my next vacation

i'll be like i'd rather go volunteer on my days off then write a check

even though optimally i should probably do both if i'm able

When you get 10 days off per year and all the nonprofits are closed on weekdays, volunteering becomes a far less attractive option.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    sup skanks

desc, check out my new jam

mr mills would be proud, me thinks

Added to reading list

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The 9 lives of Garfield is FUUUUCCCKED UP

Oh god.

Laboratory Animal life.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I am posting this because it's easier than clearing a draft of a comment that turned out not to be funny.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    anarchists are play an awesome role in against the day

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Feral wrote: »
    yeah i dunno

i imagine that my financial status informs my guessing what kind of not-poor-person i'll be in ten years

but my guess is that when i'm 35 and i get my christmas bonus and also i take my next vacation

When you get 10 days off per year and all the nonprofits are closed on weekdays, volunteering becomes a far less attractive option.

hahaah all the nonprofits.

Go visit a soup kitchen, dude. They're open on Sunday.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    You guys keep forgetting Garfield. Only President to get assassinated while eating lasagna.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yeah i dunno

i can volunteer to teach 19 year olds how to orgasm on saturdays, feral

fuck this oppressive west coast

I ALREADY DID THAT JOKE, MONKIER

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @Sarksus (and I know others are interested)

new version of Starfarer is out today: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1869.0

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Don't assume you know what other people are thinking.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that exactly.

I mean to say, I really know what it feels like to fuck up in school because of ADD. I can't assume you've had the exact same experience that I've had, but the things you've said so far remind me a lot of myself.

Winky, I wasn't criticizing your empathy at all in case you thought I was. Here's what you said, bold part is what I was talking about "I know what it feels like to think that you're lazy, and a burden, and a failure, and for everyone else to believe it too, when you honest to god are trying your hardest to succeed (but you are having a really hard time being really sure that you are trying your hardest, because the issue is in the trying itself). "

Don't assume people think you're a failure on purpose.

It's hard not to sometimes. And the honest truth is that I know that some people explicitly do think that. A lot of teachers I've had all the way up until college have explicitly told me or my parents that I'm undermotivated and if I really applied myself I could be really successful. I mean, there are plenty of people around here who hear me whining all the time that I always fuck everything up for myself and they believe that if I just worked harder and followed through that I wouldn't have these problems.

Back when I was in high school, just about to graduate and go to college, I went on vacation with my dad and stepmom. I don't recall what it was, but I had forgotten something and we were running late for our rafting trip and my dad had to take me to the store and buy it. I remember very distinctly my stepmom furiously storming past me, muttering just low enough for me to hear it "he'll never last a second in college."

I can't explain how devastating that was to me. It sounds dumb, I guess, that I would be so affected by it, I mean it was such a small thing. But my stepmom is a really hard-working, successful businesswoman who travels the world and runs clinical trials, and she's someone who really knows me but at the same time someone who doesn't just feel proud of me no matter what I do like my dad and my mom. Her opinion of me really matters, because I feel like she's the most likely to have an honest idea of what it takes to succeed and who I am. She has always been really friendly much of the time but occasionally really cold and aloof around me, and I can tell that when I'm around or when the subject of giving me money comes up it causes a lot of conflict between her and my dad. It just hurt so much to realize that was the way she really felt about me; like I'm worthless, like I'm wasting her and everyone else who invests in me's time and money. It's really embarrassing to admit that I still tear up about it when I think about it.

It's like I'm letting everyone down all the time. Getting way more than I deserve and never changing, never being able to make myself the person I should be. I know that other people view me as just as much of a burden as I view myself. If I try to use my ADD as an excuse I'm just using a scapegoat. There's no way to win.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    yeah i dunno

You just want someone to case the joint so can rob it for the embattled 1%

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Also, volunteering instead of donating is economically backward.

If you're volunteering, you're probably doing something somebody could do for minimum wage.

But if you're in a professional position you could be making upwards of $30 or $40 or $50 an hour.

So the only reason to volunteer instead of moonlight is if you get some personal gain out of doing so.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A society that eagerly eats up a sport where people getting serious mental damage goes along with the game is kind of fucked up.

As a humble donator to charity,

yeah i dunno

You just want someone to case the joint so can rob it for the embattled 1%

You got it all wrong, see. I need someone to report which brands of food the place is buying - then I buy the food companies. Charitable donations, straight into my pocket!

bwaahahahaha :ar!

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

If you're volunteering, you're probably doing something somebody could do for minimum wage.

But if you're in a professional position you could be making upwards of $30 or $40 or $50 an hour.

So the only reason to volunteer instead of moonlight is if you get some personal gain out of doing so.

This would only be true if you weren't salaried and were able to work extra hours whenever you wanted without cause or authorization.

Actually I do Red Cross and Medshare on weekends when there's available shifts, but there aren't always available shifts.

So yeah obviously not literally all of the nonprofits are closed on weekends but only having weekends free is pretty limiting.

edited May 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    A society that eagerly eats up a television show with people getting serious emotional abuse and judgement is kind of fucked up.

soooo.

Ludious on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Microsoft matches donations of their employees and also if you volunteer time they give cash as if they were paying you for that time as well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2012
    i give to charity

i give to charity long and hard

Elendil on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I can't explain how devastating that was to me. It sounds dumb, I guess, that I would be so affected by it, I mean it was such a small thing.

You need to work on your self esteem, Winky. Maybe via therapy. You don't have to apologize or explain to people for the way you feel because she made you feel worthless.

I mean to say, I really know what it feels like to fuck up in school because of ADD. I can't assume you've had the exact same experience that I've had, but the things you've said so far remind me a lot of myself.

I got that. It's good to be reminded that you're not the only one with your problems.

ADD is tough because you just can't help but feeling it's nothing and you're just not putting in the same effort as everyone else. No one ever thought I had ADD as a kid because I had so much interest in learning, so it just went undiagnosed (even though everyone kept calling me lazy and irresponsible), but as the difficulty of school ramped up I just couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried.

Yes, I know exactly.

My last psychiatrist was flabbergasted that I went so long without any treatment, even though I had been diagnosed when I was 15, and even now I feel like a total asshole when I try to use my ADD as an excuse for something.

I just didn't believe that I had it, or at least didn't believe that I could say that my failures were because of it; I've just always felt as though my failures are because I'm a lazy person and that I only have myself to blame for them.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Wall of text

I feel for you :( this IS exactly how it is for me.

Disco Terrier on
    yGxvf.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky i think i understand how you feel. i feel pretty similarly. It'll get better, don't worry. it's bound to.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

I got that. It's good to be reminded that you're not the only one with your problems.

ADD is tough because you just can't help but feeling it's nothing and you're just not putting in the same effort as everyone else. No one ever thought I had ADD as a kid because I had so much interest in learning, so it just went undiagnosed (even though everyone kept calling me lazy and irresponsible), but as the difficulty of school ramped up I just couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried.

Yes, I know exactly.

My last psychiatrist was flabbergasted that I went so long without any treatment, even though I had been diagnosed when I was 15, and even now I feel like a total asshole when I try to use my ADD as an excuse for something.

I just didn't believe that I had it, or at least didn't believe that I could say that my failures were because of it; I've just always felt as though my failures are because I'm a lazy person and that I only have myself to blame for them.

Yeah I don't think I could ever explain something with my ADD, like last week I couldn't finish a project because of it and the professor asked me why. I just said I didn't want to talk about it.

It just feels like you're lying to get out of responsibility.

yGxvf.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i wonder what percentage of people could correctly identify the US presidents who've been assassinated (excepting jfk and lincoln, i mean)

JFK, Lincoln, McKinley, ummmmmmm Martin Luther King, uhhhhh John Lennon

MALCOLM X UGH C'MON

Tupac
    Hendrix
    uhh oh yeah ELVIS.

he wasn't president, he was king

/golfclap

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

Yes, I know exactly.

Yeah I don't think I could ever explain something with my ADD, like last week I couldn't finish a project because of it and the professor asked me why. I just said I didn't want to talk about it.

It just feels like you're lying to get out of responsibility.

Well because, if you're like me, it would be like this:

Me: I couldn't finish my project because of my ADD.
    Prof: Why?
    Me: I forgot.

or worse

Me: Because I didn't want to do it and I surfed the internet instead.

And that's just what it's fucking like, like this is how the disorder works. It's no wonder that so many people don't believe that it's real, or that people who claim to have ADD are just looking for excuses. For all intents and purposes it is just "lazy disorder".

Winky i think i understand how you feel. i feel pretty similarly. It'll get better, don't worry. it's bound to.

I've actually gone full-bore on this shit.

Like I decided that I'm going to fix this crap one way or another.

I've been trying to be really targeted in how I use my medicine and figuring out the best way and time to take it. I spent 5 hours programming an Excel sheet to hold a daily schedule for me and reminders and to-do lists and junk. I've also been trying to use a journal to record how successful various strategies have been. Of course, I keep forgetting to use all these things, but maybe if I can make them an established part of my routine I can eventually make them into habits.

I can't really say how successful I've been, but at least I really know that I'm trying.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i want institutionalized speed!

shit's pretty cheap with a prescription

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Me too. Neuroenhancers are the future.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    So the Avengers is a nice film. END

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    IMO hire a life coach / secretary

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

Yeah, with insurance.

I'm on my last few pills right now because my health insurance ran out.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get more of that.

Provigil > Adderall

just sayin

Damn, man. Just add small habits. Use habit judo. 5 hours on a spreadsheet to track your daily tasks is what I was talking about when I said you make your life way more epic than it actually is.

Provigil > Adderall

just sayin

I have tried adrafinil, the precursor to provigil. You can import it legally w/o a prescription.

I would like to try adderall.

This discussion has been closed.