As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    toxk_02 wrote:
    Inter_d wrote:
    definitely not attracted to anything Gyllenhaal has to offer but she was still a step up from Katie.

also can anyone who saw the prologue give me a transcript? I saw it myself but...I'm still not sure what was said.

Transcript
    Jim Gordon: I knew Harvey Dent. I was his friend. And it will be a very long time before some one inspires us like he did. I believed in Harvey Dent. . . . .
    [Plane outside in the middle of nowhere]
    CIA: Dr. Pavel, I'm with the CIA.
    Militia: He wasn't alone.
    CIA: You don't get to bring friends.
    Dr. Pavel: They're not my friends.
    Militia: Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
    CIA: And why would I want them?
    Militia: They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man..
    CIA: Bane??! ...... Get them on board, I'll call it in
    [INSIDE PLANE]
    CIA: The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
    [PLANE DOOR OPENS]
    CIA: First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!!!
    CIA: Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel? [No answer, gun fire past head out open door] He didn't fly so well! [Pulls guy back in to plane] Who wants to try next? Tell me about Bane!! Why does he wear the mask!?! A lot of loyalty for a hired gun!!
    BANE: [Still has black hood on] Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
    CIA: At least you can talk. Who are you?
    BANE: It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
    [CIA SLOWLY TAKES OFF HOOD]
    BANE: No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
    CIA: If I pull that off would you die.
    BANE: It would be extreamly painful....
    CIA: You're a big guy!
    BANE: For you!
    CIA: Was getting caught part of your plan?
    BANE: Of course..... Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours, we had to find out what he told you about us.
    Dr. Pavel: Nothing! I said nothing!!!
    CIA: Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
    CIA Operative: Sir!
    CIA: Now whats the next STEP in your master plane?!
    BANE: Crashing this plane!........With no survivors!
    [FIGHTING ON PLANE, OUTSIDE MERCENARIES ARE SHOOTING IN TO THE CABIN, BANE PUNCH'S CIA IN THE FACE AND KNOCKS HIM OUT. HOOK SMALL PLANE UP TO THE CARGO PLANE AND BEGIN TO PULL IT VERTICAL. BLOW THE TAIL OFF OF THE NOW VERTICAL PLANE. TWO MERCENARIES COME IN WITH A BODY BAG, OPEN BODY BAG AND PULL OUT BLOOD TRANSFUSION TUBING AND BANE GRABS DR. PAVEL AND HOLDS HIM WITH ONE ARM WHILE HE INSERTS THE NEEDLE IN HIS ARM. BLOOD FLOWS IN TO THE BODY IN THE BODY BAG WHILE A MAN PUMPS THE DEAD MANS HEART AND PAVEL IS STRUGGLING. BANE HOOKS THE DR UP TO A HARNESS, ONE OF THE MEN THAT WAS BROUGHT ON THE PLANE WITH BANE BEGINS TO HOOK UP TO ANOTHER HARNESS.]
    BANE: NO (Puts his arm on man's shoulder) They expect one of us in the wreckage brother!
    FOLLOWER: We started a fire?
    BANE: The fire rises!
    [DR. PAVEL IS SCREAMING]
    BANE: Calm down Doctor. Now's not the time for fear. That comes later!!!
    [BANE PRESSES DOWN ON A TRIGGER SWITCH AND THE PLANE FALLS FROM AROUND THEM AND THEY ARE BEING PULLED BY THE CARGO PLANE.]

wow, thanks. that makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Inter_d wrote:
    toxk_02 wrote:
    Inter_d wrote:
    definitely not attracted to anything Gyllenhaal has to offer but she was still a step up from Katie.

also can anyone who saw the prologue give me a transcript? I saw it myself but...I'm still not sure what was said.

Transcript
    Jim Gordon: I knew Harvey Dent. I was his friend. And it will be a very long time before some one inspires us like he did. I believed in Harvey Dent. . . . .
    [Plane outside in the middle of nowhere]
    CIA: Dr. Pavel, I'm with the CIA.
    Militia: He wasn't alone.
    CIA: You don't get to bring friends.
    Dr. Pavel: They're not my friends.
    Militia: Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
    CIA: And why would I want them?
    Militia: They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man..
    CIA: Bane??! ...... Get them on board, I'll call it in
    [INSIDE PLANE]
    CIA: The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
    [PLANE DOOR OPENS]
    CIA: First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!!!
    CIA: Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel? [No answer, gun fire past head out open door] He didn't fly so well! [Pulls guy back in to plane] Who wants to try next? Tell me about Bane!! Why does he wear the mask!?! A lot of loyalty for a hired gun!!
    BANE: [Still has black hood on] Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
    CIA: At least you can talk. Who are you?
    BANE: It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
    [CIA SLOWLY TAKES OFF HOOD]
    BANE: No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
    CIA: If I pull that off would you die.
    BANE: It would be extreamly painful....
    CIA: You're a big guy!
    BANE: For you!
    CIA: Was getting caught part of your plan?
    BANE: Of course..... Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours, we had to find out what he told you about us.
    Dr. Pavel: Nothing! I said nothing!!!
    CIA: Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
    CIA Operative: Sir!
    CIA: Now whats the next STEP in your master plane?!
    BANE: Crashing this plane!........With no survivors!
    [FIGHTING ON PLANE, OUTSIDE MERCENARIES ARE SHOOTING IN TO THE CABIN, BANE PUNCH'S CIA IN THE FACE AND KNOCKS HIM OUT. HOOK SMALL PLANE UP TO THE CARGO PLANE AND BEGIN TO PULL IT VERTICAL. BLOW THE TAIL OFF OF THE NOW VERTICAL PLANE. TWO MERCENARIES COME IN WITH A BODY BAG, OPEN BODY BAG AND PULL OUT BLOOD TRANSFUSION TUBING AND BANE GRABS DR. PAVEL AND HOLDS HIM WITH ONE ARM WHILE HE INSERTS THE NEEDLE IN HIS ARM. BLOOD FLOWS IN TO THE BODY IN THE BODY BAG WHILE A MAN PUMPS THE DEAD MANS HEART AND PAVEL IS STRUGGLING. BANE HOOKS THE DR UP TO A HARNESS, ONE OF THE MEN THAT WAS BROUGHT ON THE PLANE WITH BANE BEGINS TO HOOK UP TO ANOTHER HARNESS.]
    BANE: NO (Puts his arm on man's shoulder) They expect one of us in the wreckage brother!
    FOLLOWER: We started a fire?
    BANE: The fire rises!
    [DR. PAVEL IS SCREAMING]
    BANE: Calm down Doctor. Now's not the time for fear. That comes later!!!
    [BANE PRESSES DOWN ON A TRIGGER SWITCH AND THE PLANE FALLS FROM AROUND THEM AND THEY ARE BEING PULLED BY THE CARGO PLANE.]

wow, thanks. that makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

From all the shakeycam footage, I was able to make out most of the dialogue except for one thing, and it turned out to be Bane basically voicing the same confusion I had in watching the CIA guy do the interrogation. Why the hell would you shoot someone before throwing him out a plane? Especially if you're going to actually not shoot him and pull him back inside.

I guess the answer is that the CIA guy is a dumbass.

SteevL on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    38536379.png

Daaaaaaamn

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Dude's got a ton of years ahead of him for being awesome. And that's a great thing to know.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Don't jinx it. You never expected Ledger to go so early. Stupid hollywood types...all dying on us once we realize they are awesome. Then again, JGL has been an actor for so long already, if he was going to go crazy, wed probably have seen a bit of it.

616610-1.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Not sure if serious.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    It's an article from the Onion.

So no, it isn't serious.

I'm aware. I'm not sure if chamber was. I mean it was a necro post with an onion article so you can never be too sure.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Necropost? Did the movie come out and I didn't notice?

There's been no real news lately, so fake news will have to do.

Well it was on page like 10, wasn't it?

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I have no idea, it was in my 'followed' list.

• toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's the home stretch

The Dark Knight Rises will debut its 3rd trailer when Marvel’s The Avengers opens on May 4th. Both 2D and 3D conventional showings of The Avengers (as well as 2D and 3D IMAX showings) will be playing the TDKR trailer.

Runtime is 2 hrs 40 mins, with over 1 hr of IMAX footage.

And today at CinemaCon, Nolan spoke at a panel and then showed off ~5 min of footage. On a generic note, almost all recaps noted Bane's audio has been cleaned up. Some more detailed descriptions:
    The clips began with an extended scene of Bane (played by Inception’s Tom Hardy) and his crew hijacking a plane in an innovative way. Then it cuts to a series of shots showing Christian Bale as an aging — and perhaps ailing — Batman. (This film is set eight years after 2008′s The Dark Knight.)

Bale has sunken eyes; he looks pale and haggard, and uses a cane. By comparison, Michael Caine’s Alfred appears as if he hasn’t aged a day. “Don’t worry, Master Wayne,” the butler reassures him later in the footage. “It takes a little time to get back in the swing of things.”

There was a brief shot of Batman and Catwoman fighting side-by-side, but more importantly was the sympathy Catwoman showed to Batman and his cause. "You've given them everything," she tells Batman, to which he replies,"Not everything. Not yet."

The overriding take-away from this footage was that the very existence of Gotham City itself is at stake, with a stunning bridge destruction set-piece, more of the football stadium chaos, and the fighting in the streets between Bane's merc army and the Gotham City Police Department. We also see Bane and his men attacking the Gotham Stock Exchange.

Meanwhile, police commissioner James Gordon has his hands full as he loses his grip on Gotham to Bane. We did not see much of him in this reel, but there was an incredible shot of Gordon lighting a road flare while searching for Batman, only for The Dark Knight to oblige his old friend, emerging from the smoke. You'll have to see it to understand just how amazing this shot looks.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    It's the home stretch

The Dark Knight Rises will debut its 3rd trailer when Marvel’s The Avengers opens on May 4th. Both 2D and 3D conventional showings of The Avengers (as well as 2D and 3D IMAX showings) will be playing the TDKR trailer.

Runtime is 2 hrs 40 mins, with over 1 hr of IMAX footage.

And today at CinemaCon, Nolan spoke at a panel and then showed off ~5 min of footage. On a generic note, almost all recaps noted Bane's audio has been cleaned up. Some more detailed descriptions:
    The clips began with an extended scene of Bane (played by Inception’s Tom Hardy) and his crew hijacking a plane in an innovative way. Then it cuts to a series of shots showing Christian Bale as an aging — and perhaps ailing — Batman. (This film is set eight years after 2008′s The Dark Knight.)

Bale has sunken eyes; he looks pale and haggard, and uses a cane. By comparison, Michael Caine’s Alfred appears as if he hasn’t aged a day. “Don’t worry, Master Wayne,” the butler reassures him later in the footage. “It takes a little time to get back in the swing of things.”

There was a brief shot of Batman and Catwoman fighting side-by-side, but more importantly was the sympathy Catwoman showed to Batman and his cause. "You've given them everything," she tells Batman, to which he replies,"Not everything. Not yet."

The overriding take-away from this footage was that the very existence of Gotham City itself is at stake, with a stunning bridge destruction set-piece, more of the football stadium chaos, and the fighting in the streets between Bane's merc army and the Gotham City Police Department. We also see Bane and his men attacking the Gotham Stock Exchange.

Meanwhile, police commissioner James Gordon has his hands full as he loses his grip on Gotham to Bane. We did not see much of him in this reel, but there was an incredible shot of Gordon lighting a road flare while searching for Batman, only for The Dark Knight to oblige his old friend, emerging from the smoke. You'll have to see it to understand just how amazing this shot looks.

That all sounds fantastic.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Since it's taking over other threads, this one should be bumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk&feature=youtu.be

The latest trailer for the most anticipated film of 2012 (unless you're one of those Marvel people).

It's good. It doesn't exactly impress me, but it's good.

But, then again, should it need to impress? We're all converted already. This movie has a very established, Return of the King-type audience.

But trailers must exist, and so here it is.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    It definitely feels a bit more up to the level of TDK trailers as opposed to the first one. Not that the first one was bad. This is just better. Still not as good as TDK though. But I feel that has a lot to do with not wanting to give away too many details as opposed to the TDK which had a plot that everyone knew from the start.

616610-1.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That's how I feel. I'm thinking this trailer probably gets the tone of the film right, but I have a hard time feeling it because I'm not excited about what they show and how it is presented, partially due to a complete lack of narrative.

Not that it matters, I'm probably going to drive 3 hours to see it in IMAX opening weekend.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I'm there midnight, opening night.

It will be a blast.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Ok is it just me, or do some of those shots of Batman appear to not be Christian Bale? I know there had been mild rumors that maybe JGL would take the mantle, at least temporarily. I wonder if there is any truth to that.

camo_sig2.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    any specifics?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    All the shots of Batman look like Bale to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if JGL takes over or suits up on his own. Maybe as Nightwing?

Lh96QHG.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    All the shots of Batman look like Bale to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if JGL takes over or suits up on his own. Maybe as Nightwing?

This is what I was thinking... I mean they've speculated on his role since he was cast, but from that trailer it looks like Batman is KO'ed pretty early by Bane and I'm guessing (secretly hoping) that JGL takes up the mantle at the end, to continue the series (through a new director most likely)

Here's hoping for a non futuristic, nolanesque batman beyond, with a tired old broken Bale who looks like a younger Clint Eastwood.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Or it could be nightfall, and JGL is Azrael. :)

LOL, I know they do a great job with costumes and making them more suitable for realism, but just thinking about this costume in live action makes me happy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbVIK2jm2nDl2-g840lHO-nc7CDPGFILt_8mHVeb-l04c33vkjig

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness, they really good tie it in nicely with Lucious working on that "one last great costume to carry Bruce into old age" with enhanced whatchamacallits and hoozawhatsits and JGL ends up wearing it, even if it's for like 30 seconds in an after the credits scene.

Might even tie in with a Supes/Batman movie down the road if they actually keep the new guy as Superman.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think for most of the less-plugged-in audience, the JGL stuff will still kind of work as a twist, so they're unlikely to push it too hard in trailers or even early in the film. I highly doubt they include nightwing or any of the other bizzaro-batmans.

I didn't find that trailer all that impressive, but it might just be because I saw the sneak preview thing forever ago and a lot of the shots were from that. It did seem like they polished up bane's voice, though.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    love the reimagine of bane. his demeanor is like a wise old man except he's ripped

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    iowa wrote: »
    love the reimagine of bane. his demeanor is like a wise old man except he's ripped

I thought that was Bane?

• WankWank Registered User regular
    So does anyone have any idea what this movie is actually about?

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What I extrapolated from that trailer:

Bane destroys the ways in and out of the city, locking everyone inside, essentially. Except for Batman, because Batman has a Batplan and has therefore comissioned a Batplane.

The end.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Cool trailer. Looking forward to it. Although I can't stop seeing Manhattan on those wide city shots. I gotta keep telling my brain it's Gotham.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    iowa wrote: »

I thought that was Bane?

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's a reimagining?

Because I know you weren't thinking about that rabid pet gorilla of Ivy's from the Movie That Shall Not Be Named…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the film's plot is knightfall or possibly even darker. The "Not everything. Not yet." line makes me wonder if Bats will actually die... And become a legend, as Ra's said in BB.

At the risk of becoming the next Bigfoot Hunter, I give you:
    jgl.png

And Comparison Shot:
    JGL3.png

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    In all seriousness, they really good tie it in nicely with Lucious working on that "one last great costume to carry Bruce into old age" with enhanced whatchamacallits and hoozawhatsits and JGL ends up wearing it, even if it's for like 30 seconds in an after the credits scene.

Might even tie in with a Supes/Batman movie down the road if they actually keep the new guy as Superman.

The Nolan-verse ends with DKR. It will never be tied to any other DC film franchise.

Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2012

Bane destroys the ways in and out of the city, locking everyone inside, essentially. Except for Batman, because Batman has a Batplan and has therefore comissioned a Batplane.

The end.

The Dark Knight spoilers:
    Wasn't Wayne Enterprises building The Bat off-screen there? Reese mentioned how Wayne was building a "rocket ship".

Harry Dresden on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

The end.

Wasn't Wayne Enterprises building The Bat off-screen there? Reese mentioned how Wayne was building a "rocketship".

Actually that was a reference to the cellphone-sonar project Bruce was doing.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I dug the trailer. It doesn't hit as hard as TDK trailer, but honestly not much (Batman related) could. The Joker is so recognizable that it would be tough to replicate the "Awww shit yeah, here we go!" buzz of TDK, so the trailer really doesn't try to. Instead, we get a trailer that's big on tone, but short on specifics. Really, for a major release we know surprisingly little about what this movie is actually about. There are spoilers out there sure (but still pretty tight lipped for how big a production it is), but very little plot info coming out through "official" channels, trailers or otherwise. That's sort of the appeal. Nolan is at the point where he doesn't have to give anyone a sizzle-reel anymore. We're sold - or at least I am - on the mystery of it all.

KalTorak wrote: »

The end.

Wasn't Wayne Enterprises building The Bat off-screen there? Reese mentioned how Wayne was building a "rocketship".

Surely Reese is smart enough to recognize the difference between a cell phone sonar project and a flying vehicle.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

The end.

Surely Reese is smart enough to recognize the difference between a cell phone sonar project and a flying vehicle.

The line is "Now you've got the entire R&D department burning through cash, claiming it's related to 'cell phones for the army'? What are you building for him now a... rocket ship?"

Then in the next scene Lucious asks Bruce about it:

Lucious: "Did you reassign R&D?"
    Bruce: "Yup. Government telecommunications project."
    Lucious: "I wasn't aware we had any government contracts."
    Bruce: "Lucious, I'm playing this one pretty close to the chest."

it's the cellphone thing.