As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I too enjoy the Sentry.

They just needed to depower him a bit, or keep his ass in space like the Silver Surfer.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    He didn't need to be depowered, just have his powers clarified. Age of the Sentry is great and he's balls-out crazy powerful in that book.

They also need to ditch some of the crazy shit Bendis and Jenkins did with him, starting with his schizophrenia being uncontrolled (Come on, this is 2012. Let's not treat this stuff like the Dark Ages of Medicine) and him being with Rogue.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have so many ideas about how to write the Sentry it is unbelieveable

you know in movies when they find out who the serial killer is and go to their home and the walls are covered with pages and pages of insane plans

that is me, but with the Sentry

• Options
    I think my favourite one was keeping the Sentry as balls-out powerful

EXCEPT! His psychic mind is the only prison strong enough to keep the Void trapped in.

so the Void is locked inside the Sentry's head. It can't affect stuff, but it can sometimes whisper to him, in the dark of the night.

And when the Sentry uses his powers, he has to draw strength away from his psychic prison. Now, some power is not a problem, so the Sentry can roll around in every-day life with the Avengers and be a heavy hitter for them, etc. But when he goes all out, he runs the risk of the Void escaping.

So he has to constantly balance up being a hero and saving while keeping the Void locked safely away. He's the Sentry, the guardian of the evil he created, the man who has faced the absolute worse that his own mind can create, defeated it, and now stands guard over it's prison.

Oh and the Sentry is Robert Reynolds, he doesn't switch between two personalities. He's Rob Reynolds, and the Void is something else that was part of him but has now split away. He's not crazy, though he is haunted by his past, by his current role, and he still faces the old problems of depression and isolation.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    He didn't need to be depowered, just have his powers clarified. Age of the Sentry is great and he's balls-out crazy powerful in that book.

They also need to ditch some of the crazy shit Bendis and Jenkins did with him, starting with his schizophrenia being uncontrolled (Come on, this is 2012. Let's not treat this stuff like the Dark Ages of Medicine) and him being with Rogue.

He's fine in his own book, but in a team book they jump through hoops to get him out of the way so they can have some conflict. Superman has the same issue.
    Solar wrote: »
    I think my favourite one was keeping the Sentry as balls-out powerful

EXCEPT! His psychic mind is the only prison strong enough to keep the Void trapped in.

so the Void is locked inside the Sentry's head. It can't affect stuff, but it can sometimes whisper to him, in the dark of the night.

And when the Sentry uses his powers, he has to draw strength away from his psychic prison. Now, some power is not a problem, so the Sentry can roll around in every-day life with the Avengers and be a heavy hitter for them, etc. But when he goes all out, he runs the risk of the Void escaping.

So he has to constantly balance up being a hero and saving while keeping the Void locked safely away. He's the Sentry, the guardian of the evil he created, the man who has faced the absolute worse that his own mind can create, defeated it, and now stands guard over it's prison.

Oh and the Sentry is Robert Reynolds, he doesn't switch between two personalities. He's Rob Reynolds, and the Void is something else that was part of him but has now split away. He's not crazy, though he is haunted by his past, by his current role, and he still faces the old problems of depression and isolation.

I had a similar thought, but with the Void being not on Earth. Every time the Sentry cuts loose, it's like a cosmic sonar ping for the Void to come and find him.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

He's fine in his own book, but in a team book they jump through hoops to get him out of the way so they can have some conflict. Superman has the same issue.
    That's not a character problem. That's a writing problem.

That same argument can be made about Thor, or Hell, Ms. Marvel considering she has Superman's primary powerset. Then again, I don't know what Bendis or anyone else has done with her for a while. She wasn't exactly the star of SA #26.

I love Solar's idea. I thought that was the whole idea behind the Sentry, and as I recall what AoS did with him and the Void. So leave well enough the Hell alone and throw him some badass rogues and allies (I loved Carol Danvers as Sentress, BTW) like Parker did with Red Hulk.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Crimsondude one of my first comic ideas that I came up with was "Sentry and Warbird."

It was about Carol Danvers, SHIELD head of alien affairs, and her dealings with the Kree, Shi'Ar and so on as SHIELD's representative in space. She had the tactical and strategic ability, as well as the charisma and experience, to deal with those kinds of problems.

Robert Reynolds was her heavyweight metahuman asset and tech expert who was using this opportunity to get away from Earth a bit, maybe clear his head, get on the right track, and do some hero work without having to worry about constant press attention. Not exactly talky, but with deep scientific knowledge and the ability to fight really hardcore dudes like Gladiator and Heralds of Galactus if necessary.

Obviously, since I am a hideous romantic, love blossoms.

Solar on
  • Options
    I hate you less today, Solar. :^:

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    So you'd have your hero sleeping around on his wife

For shame, Solar

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    The Sentry is coming back, the ending of Siege was ambiguous enough that his reappearance is almost guaranteed. It'll probably even be an event. Something like the Void is terrorizing everyone, and the only one who can save them is the hero they banished.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options

For shame, Solar

I was actually going to have Lindy leave him and make it a mutual break-up

Lindy always felt a little troubling to me, since she had basically no agency at all. She was the Sentry's damsel in distress, or the Void's victim in a really creepy, battered wife way. If the Sentry is trying to get back on the hero track, then basically having her locked in his tower is undercutting that, and she gets agency because she decides that actually, she is not happy and doesn't want to deal with this, she's leaving.

Rob understands and accepts it, and they break up. She doesn't blame him for his issues, but doesn't want to suffer them any more, and he can see that, as well as wanting a fresh start, cutting ties with his previous life, so he can throw himself into his new way of doing things where he is a sober superhero, if a haunted one as well.

He gets rid of the watch-tower because it is a symbol of his dichotomy, moves into a smaller place, focuses on getting better. A fresh start, but he still feels lonely, now even more so. And his desire for honest human contact, without the fear that existed between him and Lindy, grows. Carol is a strong person who doesn't fear Robert despite his powers and his past, and he knows that, which makes him more at ease around her. And thus do the two become close and hook up. Carol deserves a good partner, but she understands that means someone who doesn't stop trying, not someone who is perfect. She respects Rob's attempt to pick himself up and keep going, and sees in it a reflection of her recovery from alcoholism.

I had loads of ideas which I thought were quite cool. Shame it probably won't ever happen.

• Options
    edited May 2012

For shame, Solar

I was actually going to have Lindy leave him and make it a mutual break-up

Lindy always felt a little troubling to me, since she had basically no agency at all. She was the Sentry's damsel in distress, or the Void's victim in a really creepy, battered wife way. If the Sentry is trying to get back on the hero track, then basically having her locked in his tower is undercutting that, and she gets agency because she decides that actually, she is not happy and doesn't want to deal with this, she's leaving.

Rob understands and accepts it, and they break up. She doesn't blame him for his issues, but doesn't want to suffer them any more, and he can see that, as well as wanting a fresh start, cutting ties with his previous life, so he can throw himself into his new way of doing things where he is a sober superhero, if a haunted one as well.

He gets rid of the watch-tower because it is a symbol of his dichotomy, moves into a smaller place, focuses on getting better. A fresh start, but he still feels lonely, now even more so. And his desire for honest human contact, without the fear that existed between him and Lindy, grows. Carol is a strong person who doesn't fear Robert despite his powers and his past, and he knows that, which makes him more at ease around her. And thus do the two become close and hook up. Carol deserves a good partner, but she understands that means someone who doesn't stop trying, not someone who is perfect. She respects Rob's attempt to pick himself up and keep going, and sees in it a reflection of her recovery from alcoholism.

I had loads of ideas which I thought were quite cool. Shame it probably won't ever happen.

That's the same way I feel like the end of JMS's ASM run. It could have been done so much better, and there were still so many promising storylines.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    Solar, did you ever read my Captain Marvel concept? I posted a link to it on my tumblr over the weekend to suck off the pro-Carol vibe on tumblr. But this sounds like we could have a great duo in the two titles.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I was always thinking it would be great if Lindy wasn't even real at all, but someone that he dreamed up and manifested.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Solar, did you ever read my Captain Marvel concept? I posted a link to it on my tumblr over the weekend to suck off the pro-Carol vibe on tumblr. But this sounds like we could have a great duo in the two titles.

I did not. Link it and I'll gladly a look!

• Options
    I was always thinking it would be great if Lindy wasn't even real at all, but someone that he dreamed up and manifested.

I thought that idea is cool too, in a creepy "he created the perfect life for himself and it was actually all fucked up" way

but if I did that, then I'd go the same way as the Void with it. He created them due to various needs, but now they are separate, and he can't just remove them without conscience. Lindy was created, but now she is real, and she has her own desires. Rob has to deal with that as well. But I'd probably more hint at that than anything.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    But does Hulk still sleep on his floor Solar? He better!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hulk would deffo make appearances

but it would be a duo book set mostly in cosmic realms

interact with the Guardians, Annihilators, all those kinds of dudes

the F4 at times as well

Solar on
  • Options
    The Sentry would make a good Defender too, I think

• Options
    edited May 2012
    the F4 at times as well
    Reed and Bob, BFFs.

Anyway, here's the document. Here's what I wrote on my tumblr to go with the link. Remember, this is way, way out of date from late 2009, but the quote at the end is still relevant.
    As the last Ms. Marvel series ended, which I wasn’t thrilled with for a while save for the Secret Invasion tie-ins, I wrote a book concept which I keep thinking about now that there is a Captain Marvel book coming out that stars Carol Danvers. What interests me is that there are so many obviously different things based on the very little I know (Which is on purpose. I want to come to this book not having everything spoiled two months before the release.), but yet there seem to be universals that everyone wants to focus on. I still love how I ended the whole thing.
    It all comes down to the name: Marvel. The very word evokes something unique and special. It is an ideal; something to aspire for. But every day there are opportunities and challenge which distract us from achieving our goals. Mar-Vell himself epitomized the word through his actions and his integrity in facing down his and Earth’s enemies. But it is also not so much to strive, but to inspire. And that is in itself a challenge Carol herself has faced. In becoming a symbol, the desire to be the symbol has been put ahead of actually doing what is needed by a hero the world can marvel upon as a hero. It is not enough to be the hero people want, but to be the hero the world needs to see in itself. What makes Carol a more perfect Captain Marvel than Mar-Vell or Noh-Varr or Hulkling or anyone else is that she is a human first. She was not brought to Earth to save it. She is of Earth, and Earth can defend itself.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    I like that idea

I think that in some ways, Marvel is also a symbol of understanding and hope as well though.

Marvel was from an incredibly advanced society where many of the problems we have had been solved. But instead of looking down at humans for what they are, he saw what they could be, and tried to help us down that road. He's about understanding that others have flaws, and then seeing the good in them, and helping them head towards that. He's here to save us from our own inability to save ourself, not through force, but by setting an example of tolerance, courage and heroism.

That said, the name can represent a lot of things. Now in many ways it also represents the need to live up to a legacy, to hold one's self true to an ideal. And I think that you can do it multiple ways with multiple characters. Noh-Varr represents the Marvel as one who attempts to raise others up, to surpass their own limitations. Carol represents the Marvel as the unyielding warrior who never gives up.

Anyway, I am really looking to see how DeConnick writes Carol in the upcoming series.

• Options
    Same here.

I thought about writing an update (hahaha. I shouldn't even be posting), but I feel like that's dumping on my desire to just hope for the best and let things roll. If I have problems with it, then I can ramble on like a bore.

• Options
    I would love for the Sentry to return in the future

but I doubt it will ever happen

if I ever get to write comics though, I'm going to do it

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Paul Jenkins was the only person to write a good sentry. I've never understood the love he gets from some people.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I think you'll find that you are the one in the negative universe

how is Qward in the spring, anyway?

If it's really the negative universe, it would be fall in Qward, now wouldn't it.

Unless it's like Qwardian Australia or something, but I don't even want to think about that.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    I thought about it

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Paul Jenkins was the only person to write a good sentry. I've never understood the love he gets from some people.

Well

the Paul Jenkins story was really good

to be honest, I lot of my love came from the fact that the Jenkins mini was one of the earliest comics I read, and the first New Avengers stuff as well, and he was quite important in that. Maybe now I would not be so much of a fan, but back then I thought he was really cool, and it's just stayed that way ever since.

Solar on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I thought about it

Well, that's how you create Negative Universe Qward Australia Void. Have fun containing that.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I really hope Captain Marvel is a success
    Marvel needs a flagship superheroine, and I think Danvers has what it takes

Having the only female hero in the MCU be an unpowered spy is a little lame
    They need to add Danvers and/or someone else for the second round of films

Hopefully the name change, her new series and addition on the Avengers: EMH team is a step in the right direction

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I agree

Carol can pull it off, she has the power, the style, the character and so on

Yes, she's a legacy character, but it could all totally work

really pumped for the new series!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    TLB would have loved my Captain Marvel. I wanted Hank Pym in it as a badass action scientist she had to keep in check like Beast has done in Secret Avengers. Of course, that's when Kree aren't trying to kill him for the event of Annihilation: Conquest.

Plus, her archnemesis was Alternate Universe Warbird.

If anything, it was too expansive in scope. It'd have all sorts of cosmic weirdness, warfare, espionage, good old-fashioned superheroics, and plenty of personal stuff that was inspired by stories and ideas I got from (not my) experiences in AA and veterans' groups.

Really? I find that hard to believe since his name isn't on the credits for Age of the Sentry.

You can't convince me the author of Sentry: Fallen Son wrote a good Sentry. Or anything really.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    He did back in the day

in his first mini

the second one was ehhhh and the final one shot was awful

But Age of the Sentry and the original mini were good, and there was a lot of potential in the Avengers which was then awfully squandered

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I agree

Carol can pull it off, she has the power, the style, the character and so on

Yes, she's a legacy character, but it could all totally work

really pumped for the new series!

She should have sex with Wolverine.

• Options
    Wolverine has a girlfriend (right?)

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Last I heard he did.

But God no. Keep her the Hell away from him. She and Logan and Ben Grimm teamed up on a spy mission way back in the day. It could have been Sharon Ventura, who knew Ben as a pilot pre-F4, but noooo ... It was Carol. And since he apparently can pull any and every woman (I blame the writers. Fuck them.), I assume there's something in their past. But I'd just as soon that never, ever come up.

If she wants to go after a superhero, Reed did do some good in developing the Spider-Man relationship. It seems Kelly Sue will be keeping that when Avenging Spider-Man #9-10 come out. If you go into my tumblr archive, I wrote about Terry Dodson's pencils on AvSM #9. To bring it around, you don't bring on the Dodsons and not make things at least a little sexy.

At this point, I hope I'll still be interested and have some non-SR material published in a few years because I'd kill to write this book if she ever moves on. And, well, stranger things have happened, e.g. writing for SR. So it's possible if I put the work in.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    crimsondude I would hate you making pym competent.

he is the best because he is the worst!

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The only relationship I can see Carol in is Carol and Pete. So goddamn adorable.

"Oh no, Doc Ock has found out my secret identity! OH WAIT, MY GIRLFRIEND CAN PUNCH THROUGH WALLS. "

I support any and all killing of the damsel in distress girlfriend/wife troupe.

Transporter on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    And before anyone starts, no, the Bruce/Diana relationship dosen't work in comics(Perfect for JLU though), unless they team up to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

I would by a book with Bruce and Diana taking over the world and would support it whole-hardheartedly.

• Options
    I'm still a fan of the Peter + MJ relationship, but that seems taboo now via Marvel edict. I can't really picture Peter with anyone else... Well, maybe Sue Storm. I think a Reed-Sue-Peter triangle could be interesting.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    crimsondude I would hate you making pym competent.

he is the best because he is the worst!

I never said he'd be competent. He'd be swashbuckling action scientist and someone Carol is learning from—by doing the opposite of what he does—whose ass she has to save every five issues from some random space mercenaries/pirates/whatever.

The only relationship I can see Carol in is Carol and Pete. So goddamn adorable.

"Oh no, Doc Ock has found out my secret identity! OH WAIT, MY GIRLFRIEND CAN PUNCH THROUGH WALLS. "

Oh, she could do worse than that. Remember, she defeated Moonstone by absorbing the moonstones from within Karla's body.

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.