As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Was calling me your mom supposed to be an insult?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I dunno, his mom is a pretty classy lady.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    Was calling me your mom supposed to be an insult?

I would consider someone calling me one of their ancestors to be praise but then I intend to play a norn, brother, and we care about our legends.

Edit: *beer toast*

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Ad hominem attacks are pretty low.... I mean, if Arthil enjoys the stories, that's his right to do so. It's not cool to insult the guy because he likes something that you don't. =/

FWnykYl.jpg
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    In all fairness though, maybe it's just because I didn't get high enough, but the world sure didn't feel as oppressed as in GW1. There it was all oh shit our homeland just got burnt to the ground, or zombies everywhere! Here it's just been, oh yeah, there's some dragons out there and they're really mean, can you help me water my crops now?

ECOED.jpg
  • MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I made the guild photo. White Furred Charr Mesmer in red with the circlet, front and center. Yay.

And also thanks to those people who joined my impromptu group on Sunday - I was glad to try out grouping. We had a mesmer, two engineers, and a necro.

I'm not sure if it was the composition or just the way GW2 is outside of dungeons/PVP but I'm not sure why you would want a party. It didn't seem like there was any synergy between our characters. I wasn't sure how I could help out the team but at the very least the engineers could drop a healing turret to help out a teammate that got low. Right now grouping seems like a good way to handle groups of monsters that are a level or two higher than your group. Otherwise, soloing, you can handle one or two monsters at your level most of the time.

I primarily intend to play GW2 with a small group of close friends as a way to keep in touch and it would be a shame if partying is just four guys who happen to focus fire on mobs rather than a group of characters that complement each other (not necessarily holy trinity style working together but a little bit more synergy than what I experienced with my brief foray into grouping.)

• ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Mazlo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was the composition or just the way GW2 is outside of dungeons/PVP but I'm not sure why you would want a party.

As it currently stands, making a party is the closest thing to a custom channel you can swing if you want to talk to a small subset of friends without either having to represent some podunk guild you made out of just your friends, or spamming gchat with your bro talk if you all happen to be in the same guild.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    Avynte wrote: »
    In all fairness though, maybe it's just because I didn't get high enough, but the world sure didn't feel as oppressed as in GW1. There it was all oh shit our homeland just got burnt to the ground, or zombies everywhere! Here it's just been, oh yeah, there's some dragons out there and they're really mean, can you help me water my crops now?

In general it seems that the very first half of all starting areas are relatively 'safe', involving only domestic problems. Get into the second half of the human area though and suddenly you've got a centaur war on your hands. Or for Charr you're dealing with not only the flame legion and ghosts, but living human separatists who pretty much pull terrorist stunts on the charr. For the norn I think it's the most obvious, the Sons of Svanir are trying to take over.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I didn't care for the stories in general myself, except for the Charr one which I liked.

But I would say that the problem is with tone, not quality exactly . They're a bit too hammy and disney-ish for my taste.

To me a "shit" story is one that just doesn't make sense or is full of inconsistencies or contrivances. These stories aren't like that - everything that happens makes sense, and the characters behave in a consistent way. It's just that they're kind of broadly drawn.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh hey, I made the guild photo. White Furred Charr Mesmer in red with the circlet, front and center. Yay.

And also thanks to those people who joined my impromptu group on Sunday - I was glad to try out grouping. We had a mesmer, two engineers, and a necro.

I'm not sure if it was the composition or just the way GW2 is outside of dungeons/PVP but I'm not sure why you would want a party. It didn't seem like there was any synergy between our characters. I wasn't sure how I could help out the team but at the very least the engineers could drop a healing turret to help out a teammate that got low. Right now grouping seems like a good way to handle groups of monsters that are a level or two higher than your group. Otherwise, soloing, you can handle one or two monsters at your level most of the time.

I primarily intend to play GW2 with a small group of close friends as a way to keep in touch and it would be a shame if partying is just four guys who happen to focus fire on mobs rather than a group of characters that complement each other (not necessarily holy trinity style working together but a little bit more synergy than what I experienced with my brief foray into grouping.)

Working out combos and getting a feel for other classes is a big plus. Also, single healing skills are pretty bare, but a group throwing up a rotation of heals would be killer. You can also rotate between CC better if you know who you're working with to take down even bigger monsters with less and less risk as you develop your skills. It's all about the group and rotating those skills in and out.
    I didn't care for the stories in general myself, except for the Charr one which I liked.

But I would say that the problem is with tone, not quality exactly . They're a bit too hammy and disney-ish for my taste.

To me a "shit" story is one that just doesn't make sense or is full of inconsistencies or contrivances. These stories aren't like that - everything that happens makes sense, and the characters behave in a consistent way. It's just that they're kind of broadly drawn.
    They commented on that in the personal story topic I pulled quotes from (check the last page). They recognize that there are some cases of "why should I care about this person" in the personal stories and they're trying to work that out. The reason the charr seem so good in comparison is that it was a learning process making the stories and the charr just happened to be the latter of the three we saw in the BWE. This is why, for instance, you actually fight with every single one of the companion characters you could have chosen at character creation when you first leave the area to attack Baradin. It gives them all an intro.

And quiet about Dinky, the real champ is Maverick.

Dedwrekka on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    the Norn storyline seems to deal more closely with the Dragon storyline than any of the others, at least at first

more of the Heart events are around dealing with the Dragon's corruption, and the Story events are around the influence of the dragon on the Sons of Svanir and why they are doing what they are doing

E: and like Arthil says, most of that is more obvious when you venture into the 15+ areas... the 1-15 areas are safer, though the latter of some of those places (10+ or so ) were already showing some of that Dragon storyline stuff

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    the Norn storyline seems to deal more closely with the Dragon storyline than any of the others, at least at first

more of the Heart events are around dealing with the Dragon's corruption, and the Story events are around the influence of the dragon on the Sons of Svanir and why they are doing what they are doing

E: and like Arthil says, most of that is more obvious when you venture into the 15+ areas... the 1-15 areas are safer, though the latter of some of those places (10+ or so ) were already showing some of that Dragon storyline stuff

Right now the Norn are the only ones actively fighting the dragons since they appeared. The humans are fighting just to survive, the charr are forced into a fight that means nothing but constant battle just to hold what they take (just the way they want it), but to the norn fighting the ice dragon is a way of life, and they know straight away that the split in their culture is directly related to one side worshiping the dragons.
    I get the feeling that later on the story is going to shift until we realize that both the Flame Legion and Centaurs are being subtly manipulated by dragons as well, though.

• MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Working out combos and getting a feel for other classes is a big plus. Also, single healing skills are pretty bare, but a group throwing up a rotation of heals would be killer. You can also rotate between CC better if you know who you're working with to take down even bigger monsters with less and less risk as you develop your skills. It's all about the group and rotating those skills in and out.

Rotation of heals? Guess you could kind of manage that with Guardian, Engineer, and Elementalist?

I'm sure a rotation of CC would be cool and probably wouldn't be too hard to manage.

I'm sure grouping tactics and class/skill combos will be developed as we become more familiar with the game (I don't mean combo fields, I mean figuring out what builds work well together -- more than just BOOM DPS FOCUS FIRE ON THAT GUY.)

• HewnHewn Registered User regular

Oh absolutely. It was ham fest. The Norn are particular offenders, but it's spread pretty thick throughout the game. It's kinda campy and silly, and that's fine. I don't fire up Guild Wars for the storyline. The fact that it has a coherent narrative is a bonus, and welcome, but not the hallmark of a great MMO. I'm looking at you, SWTOR.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf

Rotation of heals? Guess you could kind of manage that with Guardian, Engineer, and Elementalist?

I'm sure a rotation of CC would be cool and probably wouldn't be too hard to manage.

I'm sure grouping tactics and class/skill combos will be developed as we become more familiar with the game (I don't mean combo fields, I mean figuring out what builds work well together -- more than just BOOM DPS FOCUS FIRE ON THAT GUY.)

Actually combos aren't just DPS apparently, and if you get a rotation down you can get some nice mitigation effects. One of the cool ones mentioned by Anet was an elementalist throwing down an area of ice and a warrior doing a stomp to give everyone an armor effect. Who knows, there's probably plenty of options to throw up bonuses and healing splashes with combos.

• LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well all I can say is I strongly disagree then.

Watch this. Actually listen to the corny as fuck dialogue (including the ambient speech, it is story relevant). Listen to it's delivery. If you like this then you are my mom, who also enjoyed the personal storylines extensively. She also likes the tomb raider movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqHDMC5l1o

I found that part enjoyable in a "so bad it's good" way, if only because that one guy has the same voice as Jecht from final Fanatsy X, so I kept hearing him shout "AHM DA BEST" in my mind. I'm a sucker for cheese.

Also the first Tomb Raider movie is also enjoyable in a "so bad it's good" way, second one, not as much. It's got nothing on the Mortal Kombat movie though.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    if I run a staff Guardian, bring Healing Breeze and utility skills like Sanctuary and other such ward-y type things, I can actually see myself being both a damage dealer AND team support

so the usual question of "what class are you" is kind of moot, but it can still be relevant based on what roles (rather than "builds") people are intending to fill

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

Actually combos aren't just DPS apparently, and if you get a rotation down you can get some nice mitigation effects. One of the cool ones mentioned by Anet was an elementalist throwing down an area of ice and a warrior doing a stomp to give everyone an armor effect. Who knows, there's probably plenty of options to throw up bonuses and healing splashes with combos.

Yeah I noticed some skills had the water combo field. Maybe Water combo + stomp would heal allies/remove conditions?

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Do you get to make any dialogue choices later on in story quests? So far my character has behaved alright but I figure if I can't decide what he says I'm going to become less attached to him and I might skip the story altogether.

• LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    Sigh... I want to play...

Anyway, I have a problem. I decided to play norn and charr during the BWE because I figured I'm more likely to play the other 3 races at release.

But I underestimated the awesomeness of the Charr. Now I want to play Charr. 10 levels was not enough!

I think I'm doomed to leveling 6 different characters of different professions/races.

As for those story comments, from what I played the Charr story is way better than the Norn one. I got all the way through the Norn "picked a fight and lost" storyline and halfway through the Charr iron and ash stories.

You tend to not have direct dialogue choices, no. It's a design decision of theirs really. Though I think things -might- go a little different depending on if you're charming, ferocious, or dignified. There are pretty big choices throughout your story though that can change things completely.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On my noble born Guardian, I had the chance to choose my dialogue during a story quest around lvl10. One choice had a "Your dignity score will go up" attached to it.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    You can choose your style of reply fairly often, but so far there seemed only a few parts where you could actually pick something that effected the story as a whole. Like, most of the time it's just a different flavour that leads to the same end.

The thing is, when you do get to choose, those choices are quite divergent.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    This is one of the best-looking games I've ever played. All of these images are unedited except for being resized, and the 6700 x 4300 high-res versions are available upon request.

7UMYS.jpg
    X9uYl.jpg
    nCXlo.jpg
    K8dhK.jpg

I have never, not once, considered playing a Charr Mesmer... Until that last picture!

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Talking about guild sizes earlier, I did see one mention on on Reddit about having a 1000 member guild when talking about taking keeps in WvW. It could just be tongue in cheek though:
    ArenaNet wrote:
    it's based on active participation. If you bring all of your 20 member guild and another 1000 person guild only brings 15 people to the fight, as long as all 20 of your people kill guards or help take the location in some fashion, you will get first priority for the claim.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q45rm/iama_guild_wars_2_game_designer_ama_about_world/c3ul7nu

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    This is one of the best-looking games I've ever played. All of these images are unedited except for being resized, and the 6700 x 4300 high-res versions are available upon request.

[snip]
    I have never, not once, considered playing a Charr Mesmer... Until that last picture!
    Charr mesmers look really cool. They definitely have the whole "mesmer" vibe, but are no less... charr... for it.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »
    Arthil wrote:
    I think calling all the stories shit is also far too harsh, and I would have expected better explanations from some of you who've said that. Not enjoying your particular choices does not make the story line terrible.

What is there to explain? I felt they were terrible. And not just terrible in the constant, overarching video game stories are always terrible meta sense. I mean even by video game standards they were just bad. When it wasn't being tedious, boring cliche standard 1980's fantasy drek then it was just straight up being poorly told. Any combination of bad VA, VA not working right, npc's saying things that don't make any sense at all, events being poorly explained, the list is basically endless. They are especially terrible in comparison to TOR, but even compared to what WoW has been doing in wrath and cataclysm it's just bad, and WoW's story is best described as completely embarrassing about 95% of the time. But I would still take every single one of the 1-60 zone plots added in cataclysm over this malarky.

For the record, the story arcs that I personally played through were human noble, human carnie, human street rat, half of the charr blood legion, and 2 norns that I have no idea how their story related at all to my character creation choices (though what I did at the moot did come up in the level 10+ norn, I gave up on that class though after doing a couple of the story instances for unrelated reasons). If I had to describe the quality in a pithy statement I would say that the quality of story is about what I have come to expect from a couple of my very mediocre tabletop rpg groups.

Funny you mention TOR, because I remember those characters who died at the beginning of every single Sith TOR class campaign that nobody gave two shits about because of how forced the dialogue and delivery was. And that's a game where cinema quality cutscenes and storytelling was a major selling point.

One thing you gotta admire, through the camp and silliness of that cutscene you linked, it has some charm to it. That's something I couldn't say about the Bounty Hunter until you find your second teammate.

On intros alone, and considering the specifics of your position, I'll stand with Arthil on this one. It's not fantastic, and the delivery is silly, but it sets the right mood. Well, aside from the ambient voice sound levels, but that's not difficult to tune. Also it beats the hell out of a text dump.

• Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    Still a better story than Twilight.

I am at a loss. I have no idea what to spend my time on. I just need to play more, I just want to be in that colorful world with that great music.

I also love that as a norn, your legend doesn't -have- to be about going out and killing giant monsters. Sure most norn try to strive to compete in the Great Hunt but there are writers and artists and artisans who have a legend just as important. The blacksmith who forged a mighty weapon tempered by the spirit of the griffon is just as much a hero as the player who uses it to strike down a dragon-corrupted Jotun Chieftan.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Did anyone else notice the humungous bro-fest the charr and norn were having in north-west Diessa Plateau?

MEATOBERFEST. A festival of meat and beer.

And eggs, don't forget the eggs.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I remember finding the Order of Whispers in Lion's Arch by accident. Talking to the lead Whisper person engages you in a conversation about how their hideout looks like, well, a super-secret spy hideout. Except that it was simply a hotel "with no vacancies so please leave immediately." And how if it was a super-secret hideout, they would have to murder you.

The stuff ArenaNet hides away in the nooks and crannies are surprisingly funny. Also, this exchange between a charr and asura: A, "Had to turn my axe in to the smith to get it fixed-" C, "You mean your hatchet?"

I'm sad I missed the group picture, though.

what a happy day it is
    Jim Boer wrote:
    I remember an interview a while ago where it was stated that there’d be an in-game option to customize our soundtrack. Like, replace tracks that played at certain points with others.

Was that cut, or is it just not in yet? I loved the idea of this feature!
    It’s actually in and working, but the feature wasn’t publicly documented. Here’s how it currently works:

Under [Your Name]\Documents\Guild Wars Gw2Dev folder, you’ll see that GW2 creates a Music folder next to the Screens folder (where screenshots go). All you need to do to get your external music collection playing in the game is to create a playlist of the appropriate name and type in this folder.

Supported playlist formats are .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax.

Supported audio types are everything FMOD supports by default, which includes .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav. aiff, and a bunch of old-school music formats, like .mid or .it files.

There are eight specific playlists the game recognizes, and these are designated simply by the playlist’s file name. They are: Ambient, Battle, Underwater, City, Crafting, BossBattle, NightTime, and MainMenu. Hopefully these are somewhat self-explanatory in terms of when you might expect to hear them play.

So, for example, if you create a playlist called Ambient.m3u, anything in that playlist will be heard instead of the standard in-game ambient music (the general music you hear when running around in the world).

Each internal playlist can designate a primary and secondary playlist to look for. Most of the playlists will fall back to Ambient if they do not exist. This means that if you’d like to simply replace the majority of the music in the game, you can just create an Ambient playlist, or maybe just Ambient and Battle. However, if you really want to customize your playlist in detail, you can create the more specialized playlists such as NightTime or Crafting.

The easiest (and at the moment, the only) way to test this is with a MainMenu playlist, since that will replace the music at the login screen.

Neato!

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    On the GW2 engineer forums, this video was posted. Impressive, especially that first ambush!

what a happy day it is
    Put dat shit in the OP O_O

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Jim Boer wrote:
    I remember an interview a while ago where it was stated that there’d be an in-game option to customize our soundtrack. Like, replace tracks that played at certain points with others.

Was that cut, or is it just not in yet? I loved the idea of this feature!
    It’s actually in and working, but the feature wasn’t publicly documented. Here’s how it currently works:

Under [Your Name]\Documents\Guild Wars Gw2Dev folder, you’ll see that GW2 creates a Music folder next to the Screens folder (where screenshots go). All you need to do to get your external music collection playing in the game is to create a playlist of the appropriate name and type in this folder.

Supported playlist formats are .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax.

Supported audio types are everything FMOD supports by default, which includes .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav. aiff, and a bunch of old-school music formats, like .mid or .it files.

There are eight specific playlists the game recognizes, and these are designated simply by the playlist’s file name. They are: Ambient, Battle, Underwater, City, Crafting, BossBattle, NightTime, and MainMenu. Hopefully these are somewhat self-explanatory in terms of when you might expect to hear them play.

So, for example, if you create a playlist called Ambient.m3u, anything in that playlist will be heard instead of the standard in-game ambient music (the general music you hear when running around in the world).

Each internal playlist can designate a primary and secondary playlist to look for. Most of the playlists will fall back to Ambient if they do not exist. This means that if you’d like to simply replace the majority of the music in the game, you can just create an Ambient playlist, or maybe just Ambient and Battle. However, if you really want to customize your playlist in detail, you can create the more specialized playlists such as NightTime or Crafting.

The easiest (and at the moment, the only) way to test this is with a MainMenu playlist, since that will replace the music at the login screen.

Neato!

Kinda tempted to make an ambient playlist with the morrowind soundtrack, just for nostalgia.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    doomybear wrote: »
    On the GW2 engineer forums, this video was posted. Impressive, especially that first ambush!

"I think that build is much better. That's why I'm going to engage this 1v4 right here."

Ahahahaha

Huggles on
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    He sounds like a super villain and I love him for it.

I think I'm going to have to do some research and figure out how to be good at this game, because I was mostly just dicking around with the time I had all weekend.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    ENGINEERS ARE THE FUCKING GREATEST

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I've missed several pages of this thread, but: Are we planning on just sticking with Fort Aspenwood?

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
This discussion has been closed.