As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job sucks, need new one. No idea what to look for.

KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I work at a hotel doing bellman/valet/shuttle driver. I work overnight 11-7. I am sick of the idiot management and drunk assholes. more so the management. I have waited tables, customer service etc. I have a bachelors of arts degree. Apart from my poor choice of degree choice, looking for some suggestions of what to do with my experience. I don't want to work nights anymore, and would prefer to get out of the hotel industry. Any suggestions for my wide variety of experience and skills?

Kharnastus on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    A better question would be what do you think you might enjoy, or at least be able to tolerate, doing? Then look at what you need to be able to do that. What is your B.A. in and did you enjoy that stuff? Perhaps that could direct you towards a better job.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    If you can stomach $10-12 an hour with little to no benefits at first, you can always try and get with a temp company doing office work. It's pretty dull 8-5 stuff, but you get weekends off and, and if you're any good chances are a good company will hire you on when possible.

If you like evening/weekend shifts and a bit more physicality in your job, you can look for valet companies in the area. All the money is in tips, but you get a great work out, and sometimes you even get to drive awesome vehicles for about two minutes.

Don't forget usajobs.gov

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    See if you can become a parking garage attendant. It pays roughly the same except you pretty much are free to do whatever you please during the work day, so long as you maintain the basic gate duties.

I've been doing it since October and I love it; i'm an artist as well and because of this job my artistic skills have practically quadrupled. Plus it's a great job that keeps you away from (most of) the drunk assholes who would heckle you during the late-night shifts.

• Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    With a strong customer service bace you may be able to get a job working at a cell phone store. My last job was at T-mobile, $12/hour plus commission and full health insurance... working part time (20-30 hours a week) I made $28,000 last year. Not a princely sum but not to bad considering I only worked 3 or 4 days a week.

Be warned, ANY customer service job will suck total and complete ass. Management will always be a bunch of idiots because idiots are the only people who want to stick with retail long enough to get promoted to management... not to mention kiss enough ass to get promoted.

Are you any good with photoshop or anything? Maybe you could land some entry level marketing stuff or other artsy position.

• Options
    So i applied for an artist handler position at the local fine performing arts venue. It appears to be a get hotels and stuff for the guest artists etc. This sounds like my perfect job... anyone ever done anything like this? Trying to figure out if I have the skills they're looking for.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've been working customer service and management for 16 years and I'm with you, I'm ready to get the fuck out. One thing to check: I've been applying at the local hospitals in clinical secretary and tech support jobs. They pay less than what I make now (I'd be dropping from around $16 to $13/hour), but the stable schedule and escape from a fuckawful work environment seems worth it.

Health care is a growing field blah blah... hospitals are often hiring, so check them out. And the two jobs I've been applying for have openings pretty often and would use some of the same skills you already have.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    D-DocD-Doc Las Cruces, NM and South TexasRegistered User regular
    You could try the oil industry. I have no degree and I recently got hired as a floorhand on an oil rig. I make $21.50 an hour but I work 12 hours a day for two weeks straight, then I get two weeks off. It sucks sometimes but the money is great and I've gotten in a lot better shape.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    D-doc, you should come to Australia and do the same job for something like double the money. Granted, our swings tend to be 2 weeks on, 1 week off, but you get 4 weeks of annual leave in a year, and did I mention double the money?

• Options
    Double the money you say? I'll miss my two weeks off but that pay raise would more than make up for it. Do you live in Australia? I might need a bit more experience over here before my company would be willing to transfer me. I'm still an SSE. The company I work for, Helmerich and Payne, is contracted by BHP, and I know they are an Australian company. That could give me a huge advantage in getting transferred over there.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Where do you live? Like, major city?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Omaha Ne. :) reasonably large city. Hotel season for the next two months, but then it looks like the very new boutique hotel i work for will most likely go under. I have until july to find something bearable. Still really hoping that this artist contract job goes well.

Anyone work with artist contracts for venues? It appears to be a venue equivelent of a tour manager.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    D-Doc wrote: »
    Double the money you say? I'll miss my two weeks off but that pay raise would more than make up for it. Do you live in Australia? I might need a bit more experience over here before my company would be willing to transfer me. I'm still an SSE. The company I work for, Helmerich and Payne, is contracted by BHP, and I know they are an Australian company. That could give me a huge advantage in getting transferred over there.

I live in Perth, W.A. We mine. We mine deep. We dig pretty much everything out of the ground, and we have oil and gas rigs onshore and off, up and down the coast.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    a lot of money in oil and in mining, not the safest work, but lots of money

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    D-Doc wrote: »

I live in Perth, W.A. We mine. We mine deep. We dig pretty much everything out of the ground, and we have oil and gas rigs onshore and off, up and down the coast.

What company do you work for? I would be very interested in working in Australia.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    I have no idea who he works for but I have interfaced with this company a lot. They are based out of Australia. If I ever was to work for a mining company, these folks would be my first pick

http://www.bhpbilliton.com/home/Pages/default.aspx

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    Good news team, I have successfully called in a favor to get my resume and cover letter to the HR lady. oh please work. oh please work.

• Options
    Good luck kharnastus. And that is real cool natas. We're drilling for BHP, but I heard that they're the largest mining company in the world.