As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 4] - [Disciplined Dame 2] & [Exacting Executioner 4]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 1

"You know," Elise pauses, "I think we should investigate this tough territor---ial pokemon." she smiles. "Things are going to get tougher from here on out, so we should hone up our skills while close to home. Might even make a powerful ally."

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Makai[Perceptive 2/2][Ninja 3/3]
    Iktomi [Swift 2/2][Trickster 3/3]
    Fenrir [Fierce 2/2][?????? 1/1]
    Volt: 1; Exp: 2

"Yea! That too!" Makai makes a subtle noise at Iktomi. The Joltik takes off Makai's head and into the trees near Zeal.

"If we're embarking on a journey, it's important we establish bonds and make powerful allies." He gets a wry smile. "Plus you don't seem like the type to take the easy way anyhow." The commoner boy nudges Elise with his elbow like an old friend.

Iktomi gets Zeal's attention and then zips back and forth in trees. When she is finished she is perched at the center of perfectly symmetrical electroweb version of Zeal.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 3

"It's just a Bellsprout, man." Tanaka makes a face. "I mean, they may be the genesis point of all wisdom in the world, but it doesn't make 'em special."

Gigen runs over to the tree-ranger, grabs her arrows, and skitters back up his trainer's shoulders.

"Although I guess if it's a humped 'Sprout that'd make it sorta-- Hey, Gi! Where'd you get those?"

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Who wants to help me with a thing? If'n you do, try and fill this sucker out for your starter Pokemon.
    Name: [Same]
    Level: 10
    Species: [Same]
    Type: [Same]
    =============
    Loyalty: Friendly
    Demeanor: [Same]
    Need: [Same]
    Quirk: [Same]
    =============
    Weak: [Same]
    Resist: [Same] + 2 more
    =============
    Moves: [Same] but specify "Physical" or "Special"
    Assists: -Leave Blank-
    Abilities: -Leave Blank-
    =============
    HP - # At - # Df - #
    Sp - # SA - # SD - #
    =============

Attack, Special Attack, and Speed start at 1. HP, Defense, and Special Defense start at 2. Got 5 points to distribute among 'em. All stats increase by 1 per point, except HP which increases by 2 per point.

If you're feeling particularly accomodating, give this a shot too.
    NAME - SPECIES - TYPE/TYPE - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - #/# | At - #/# | Df - #/# | SA - #/# | SD - #/# | Sp - #/#
    [ MOVE1 ] [ MOVE1 ] [ - ] [ - ]

Aaaaand Test run with Fenrir for funsies.
    Name: Fenrir
    Level: 5
    Species: Houndour
    Type: Fire/Dark
    =============
    Loyalty: Neutral
    Demeanor: Vicious
    Need: Hierarchy
    Quirk: Cruel
    =============
    Weak: ???, ???, ???
    Resist: ???, ???, ???, ???, ???
    =============
    Moves: Crunch, Flamethrower
    Assists: [ - ]
    Abilities: [ - ]
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 3 Df - 2
    Sp - 2 SA - 2 SD - 2
    =============

Fenrir - Houndour - Fire/Dark - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 3/3 | Df - 2/2 | SA - 2/2 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 2/2
    [ Crunch ] [ Flamethrower ] [ - ] [ - ]

Marshmallow on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Visiting family this weekend, don't have a lot of time to post. I'll try to take care of that Monday or so, Marsh.

Tullius [Calm 1/1][Praetor 3/3]
    *Timaeus [Loyal 3/3][Samurai 3/3]
    Orion [Melancholy 1/1][Scorpion 2/2]
    Volt: 2 Exp: 2

Tullius looked a bit agitated; Timaeus's skillset was not conducive to battling some sort of happy green giant. But he did have Orion. That should count for something.

"If you want to cut through the dangerous region and chance meeting the creature, I'm game I suppose. I'll just have to be sure Timaeus is secure before the battle." He fingers the pages of his Codex a bit. "Gotta have the right Pokemon for the right job."

No rush, just messing around with a stat idea since it seems like traits currently overlap like crazy with Demeanor/Need/Quirk and haven't really been getting used properly (my bad).

Still figuring a lot of things out so this is sort of a warning that the GM is madly scribbling behind the screen and cackling occasionally.

edited April 2012
    Name: [Iktomi]
    Species: [Joltik]
    Type: [Bug] [Electric]
    =============
    Demeanor: Sassy
    Need: To be Challenged
    Quirk: Mischievous
    =============
    Weak: Fire, Rock, Ground, Flying
    Resist: Dark, Psychic, Grass, Water, Bug, Electric
    =============
    Moves: Substitute, Electroweb
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 1 Df - 2
    Sp - 3 SA - 3 SD - 2
    =============

Iktomi - JOLTIK - BUG/ELECTRIC - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 1/1 | Df - 2/2 | SA - 3/3 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 3/3
    [ Substitute ] [ Electroweb ] [ - ] [ - ]

NeoToma on
    Looks good.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Name: Mitsuhide
    Species: Gallade
    Type: Fighting/Psychic
    =============
    Demeanor: Proud
    Need: To protect the Demaské family/To regain his 'lost' honour
    Quirk: Chivalrous
    =============
    Weak: Flying, Ghost
    Resist: Fighting, Dark, Psychic, Bug
    =============
    Moves: Psycho Cut (Physical/Psychic/Mobile/Dense) - Sacred Sword (Physical/Fighting/Covering/Open)
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 3 Df - 3
    Sp - 2 SA - 1 SD - 2
    =============

Mitsuhide - Gallade - Fighting/Psychic - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 3/3 | Df - 3/3 | SA - 1/1 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 2/2
    [ Psycho Cut ] [ Sacred Sword ] [ - ] [ - ]

Something like that? Am I supposed to have more weaknesses than that, I've only got two written down in my first character post...

Halos Nach Tariff on
    edited April 2012
    I think two was the minimum you could pick, so yeah that's cool.

Wondering if I want to keep the "Terrain" bonus around, since I have other ideas on giving individual arenas a bit of oomph to 'em and encourage moving around.

Dynamic is good, I think.

Edit: Also noticed I was still calling Catarine's Gallade, Yojimbo. Whoops.

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2012
    Name: Gigen
    Species: Sableye
    Type: Ghost/Fighting
    =============
    Demeanor: Ambitious
    Need: Validation
    Quirk: Likes high places.
    =============
    Weak: Psychic, Flying, Ghost
    Resist: Rock, Steel, Normal, Bug, Fighting
    =============
    Moves: Shadow Sneak [Ghost, Mobile/Hazard, Physical], Circle Throw [Fighting, Powerful/Open, Physical]
    =============
    HP - 4/4 At - 3/3 Df - 4/4
    Sp - 1/1 SA - 1/1 SD - 3/3
    =============

GIGEN - SABLEYE - GHOST/FIGHT - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 3/3 | Df - 4/4 | SA - 1/1 | SD - 3/3 | Sp - 1/1
    [ Shadow Sneak ] [ Circle Throw ] [ - ] [ - ]

Shock G on
    edited April 2012
    And away we go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MalaHeader.jpg

~Malachite Forest~

Leaving the odd pair behind, the group pushes further into the depths of Malachite Forest. Despite the continuing lack of direct sunlight, the undergrowth begins to noticeably thicken, and it is not long before Elise's attendants are forced to begin clearing and widening paths with machetes before the party can proceed, slowing them down significantly.

A couple hours later and the first sign of real progress is uncovered. A strip of bright red fabric has been tied onto one of the lower branches of a massive, moss-covered trees alongside the blazed trail. However, they aren't the only ones, or apparently even the first, to spot the splash of color in the late afternoon twilight of the forest.

A small, round creature covered in brown feathers is fruitlessly tugging at the tightly knotted material, seemingly quite keen on claiming the cloth for itself. The Ranger's handiwork seems to be thus far foiling the Pokemon's efforts, and the party's noisy approach eventually shakes the owl-like creature out of its single-minded pursuit.
    FileSpr_4p_163.png
    Hopping clumsily along the branch with the aid of its stubby wings, the bright-eyed bird subjects the approaching humans and their Pokemon cohorts to an uncomfortably penetrating and discriminatory gaze, obviously attempting to determine if these newcomers are a threat to itself or its eye-catching prize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Move Styles maybe????

Move - Effect - (Examples)

Mobile - User attacks, and then must shift to a new Arena - (Wing Attack, Petal Dance, Hi Jump Kick)
    Charging - User Shifts to a new Arena, then may attack - (Flame Wheel, Rollout, Surf)
    Powerful - Shifts the Target into a new Arena - (Focus Punch, Headbutt, Hydro Pump)
    Offensive - The User, and Target, both Shift to a new Arena - (Wrap, Flame Charge, Tackle)
    Ranged - This attack may be used against Targets in adjacent Arenas - (Fling, Thunderbolt, Watergun)
    Priority - The User automatically attacks before non-Priority Users. Multiple Priority Users consult Speed as usual - (Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak, Mach Punch)

Locking - Target cannot use the last Move they used on their next turn (Disable, Confuse Ray, Lovely Kiss)
    Trapping - The Target cannot Shift on their next turn for any reason - (Spider Web, Mean Look, Whirlpool)
    Covering - The next time the Target attacks, they must Target the User - (Block, Wide Guard, Rage Powder)
    Testing - User discovers the Target's Type(s), and may choose to also discover either the Target's Active Moves, Weaknesses, or Resistances - (Mind Reader, Destiny Bond, Detect)

Finisher - Whenever this move would deal Damage to Defense or Special Defense, deal 1 HP Damage instead - (Shadow Punch, Aura Sphere, Faint Attack)

Boosting (Stat) - User recovers 2 Damage to listed Stat. May increase Stat up to 1 over maximum. Deals no Damage and has no Target. (Agility, Swords Dance, Recover)
    Refresh - User recovers 1 Damage to each Stat. Deals no Damage and has no Target - (Meditate, Acupressure, Mist)
    Harassing (Stat) - Deals no HP Damage. Deal 1 Damage to Target's listed Stat - (Growl, Thunderwave, Sand-Attack)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

STAB - When the User is the same Type as the Move used, the Move deals 1 Damage to the relevant defense Stat of the Target (ie. Physical = Defense, Special = Special Defense, Harass = Listed Stat) in addition to any other effects.

Weakness - When a Target is attacked with a Move they are Weak to, any Stat damage taken (except HP) is increased by 1. HP Damage taken is doubled.

Resistance - When a Target is attacked with a Move they Resist, the Move cannot Trap, Harass, Disable, Test, Cover or deal damage to any Stat except HP. HP Damage taken is halved (round down).

Also, prooobably no more free Shift in a round. You wanna attack and move at the same time, you get yourself a Mobile, Charge, or Offensive Style Move.

Still thinking on removing Arena Terrains, leaning slightly towards "yes" since I'm not sure what kind of bonus I would give them. STAB/Weaknesses seem to cover the good stuff pretty well.

Marshmallow on
    Hmmm, no more defensive?

Can be mimicked pretty easily with Boosting (Defense), Boosting (Special Defense), and/or Boosting (HP).

Refresh too, since that recovers HP and the two defenses.

Poopin' out system thoughts.

All the Styles there except Boosting, Refresh, and Harassing follow the same basic attack "roll".

Which is "Compare Attack Stat to Defense Stat. If the Attack Stat is higher, deal the difference in HP Damage to the Target. If the Attack Stat is lower, nothing".

Which is why STAB is really useful. Even if you do no damage, you automatically reduce their Defense by one, setting you up for HP damage later. That STAB defense damage happens on any attack that can potentially deal any kind of damage (except Finisher, which converts it into HP damage).

Also stacks nicely with Harassing, since if you already know you won't deal HP damage you can instead use the appropriate Harass to drop the Defense by 2 instead of just one.

You can do the same thing to the Attacks and Speed if you feel like crippling sweepers instead of walls.

edited April 2012
    I may have to rethink substitute (my use of it was fairly creative anyway). Maybe replace it with thunderbolt? Or some mobile Bug move. Bug Bite?

Other than that, I am on board with these proposed system changes.

NeoToma on
    edited April 2012
    Yep, it'll be fun to see it take flight and/or crash and burn spectacularly.

One thing I will admit to missing from PTA was getting to craft some interesting NPC Pokemon. Movesets and stats and tactics oh my, and then the players get to take it to pieces right in front of me.

Satisfying.

Mobile synergies nicely with a high speed, incidentally. If you go before the other guy and they weren't prepping a Ranged (or Charging) attack you can skedaddle out of the Arena and leave them without a target.

They'll catch on quick and start taking countermeasures, but a free attack or two is an advantage not to be turned down lightly.

Next on the to-do list - Voltage points: No longer a level up mechanic?

Marshmallow on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Haven't been able to think of a way to build up the conversation at all. Welp, things will get better after finals.

Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 4] - [Disciplined Dame 2] & [Exacting Executioner 4]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 1

"Naturally." she punctuates the statement with a single curt nod. The elbow clanks off her plate armor. At least she noticed it happen. Probably

Zeal buzzes at the strange fellow combee, incidentally brushing up against it before flying off, tearing the web slightly, her buzz stac-ca-to-ing as she brushes off the paralytic jolt. A silver beam is fired from the combee, brightly outlining the web in a cool, pale glow. Buzzing contently now that the danger is properly marked, she returns to Elise's side, the stealthy joltick unnoticed.

Elise returns the gaze of the creature, her eyes clearly indicating she's rather indifferent to the little owl. Probably one of many creatures that would vandalize a ranger's handiwork, no use getting upset about this one.

"Well, so much for a marked path." she remarks.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    ~Malachite Forest~

After a few moments of mutually locked scutiny, the Hoothoot sidles back along the branch and begins yanking at the cloth again while attempting to keep the thus-far-neutral group in its peripheral vision. If they aren't going to bother it, the Pokemon seems to be concluding, it isn't going to bother with them.

edited May 2012
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]

The Hoothoot finds a shadow stuck to the side of the tree, trying his damnedest to untie the ribbon. Gigen freezes. Maybe the owl hasn't seen him?

Shock G on
    edited May 2012
    ~Malachite Forest~

The Hoothoot easily spots the Ghost type fumbling with the cloth and puffs up in indignation. Possessive wrath temporarily overcoming caution, the Hoothoot charges Gigen in defense of its find!

Wild Hoothoot attacks!

Map-bit3.png Map-bit1.png
    Map-bit2.png Map-bit2.png
    *Forcibly Shifting a Target from a Treetop Arena to a Trail Arena will deal 1 HP Damage.
    *If other Pokemon or Trainers want to get involved, assume they start in the lower left Trail Arena.

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2012
    Tanaka & Gigen

Ahh, shit. Gigen looks to either side, then to his prize. He can't run. No! He won't run! He must fight for his treasure! Fight for all that is his! Come, fat bird! Come, meet your superior!

The Sableye vaults from his perch, meeting his foe's valiant charge. Gigen waits for the opportune moment, for the distance to close, for a break in the Hoothoot's courage, and slams his fists into the owl's skull, spiking it into the dirt below.

GIGEN uses CIRCLE THROW on wild HOOTHOOT! CIRCLE THROW shifts HOOTHOOT to TRAIL!

Shock G on
    edited May 2012
    ~Malachite Forest~

The speedier, outraged Hoothoot soars close for a punishing Tackle. The Pokemon manages to slam into Gigen, but the Ghost Type demonstrates his kind's typical disregard for such straightforward tactics, and easily turns the intended collision into a grapple.

Gigen is unaffected!
    It's Not Very Effective...

The Sableye's counterattack sends the larger Pokemon tumbling haphazardly to the ground below, the Hoothoot's attempts to slow its fall counting for little after receiving such a brutal strike to the noggin.

Hoothoot takes 3 HP Damage!
    Hoothoot takes 2 Defense Damage!
    It's Super Effective!

The Hoothoot gets back on its foot after the bone-rattling crash, wobbling and punch-drunk. The dawning apprehension that this was a very bad idea is clear by its expression of dismay.

Map-bit3.png Map-bit1b.png
    Map-bit2.png Map-bit2b.png
    *Forcibly Shifting a Target from a Treetop Arena to a Trail Arena will deal 1 HP Damage.
    *If other Pokemon or Trainers want to get involved, assume they start in the lower left Trail Arena.

Marshmallow on
    Tanaka & Gigen

Gigen swings onto a nearby branch, striking a pose, the one with his right hand pointing at his shamed foe, head cocked, his smile gleaming in the forest sun. The one that asks his quarry one thing: You done?

Tanaka looks a little nonplussed.

~Malachite Forest~

The Hoothoot decides it's had more then enough at this point. Showing the better part of valor, the defeated Pokemon hops back towards the protective cover of the treeline, then turns and dashes away to lick its wounds, wings fluttering madly in a bid for speed.

Wild Hoothoot was driven off!

Nicely done. I guess. Have a Voltage6.gif you wacky spook, you.

Tanaka & Gigen
    Volt: 1 Exp: 3

Gigen scampers down the tree's trunk, unties the bit of cloth, then re-ties it around his head.

Sweet victory.

The shadow climbs back up on his bald, monk-ish perch, looking contented.

"You, uh, really have to do that?" Gi nods. "Well then, good job. I guess." Gigen beams.

"Let's get outta here."

edited May 2012
    Marsh, let me know if this is right, and I'll eventually get around to one for Orion too.

Name: Timaeus
    Species: Oshawott
    Type: Water/Fighting
    =============
    Demeanor: Cheerful
    Need: Friendship
    Quirk: Likes to polish scalchop
    =============
    Weak: Grass Electric Psychic
    Resist: Fire Ground Steel Dark Normal
    =============
    Moves: Razor Shell [Water/Mobile/Physical], Cross Chop [Fighting/Powerful/Physical]
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 3 Df - 2
    Sp - 3 SA - 1 SD - 2
    =============

Terrendos on
    "+2" means you can pick two more Resists. Looks good otherwise.

Tullius cleared his throat. "Right, on then." He paused. "What does your friend want with a tattered piece of cloth, anyway?"

edited May 2012

The Joltik, tittering from her caprice, ziplines back on top of Makai's head. "I asked you to befriend the Combee, not trick it." he grumps at his tiny friend. Iktomi buzzes the tiny electric spider equivalent of a shrug. Maybe another time.

Fenrir, takes special notice of Gigen's display of dominance. He snorts a bit smoke to get Gigen's attention. Then through body language coveys "Yes. I appreciate that. I appreciate how you beat the fat bird like a punk, and then took his shit. Excellent work."

You feel there would be brofists exchanged if that was a concept pokemon had any awareness of.

NeoToma on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 2] - [Protector 3]
    Volt: 2 Exp: 1

'Is this something we should expect often?' she voices towards the monk and his partner; 'your imp running off and aggravating the wildlife I mean? Only it's not exactly disciplined behaviour, and I would hate for him to annoy something that we'd have to deal with...'

Halos Nach Tariff on
    edited May 2012
    Tanaka & Gigen

Gigen looks down at the dog with fire in his eyes. Supplicant. My, this day is getting fine.

"Gi can take care of himself. Usually." 'Usually' is said in the same tone you use to throw at an old spouse. "And he wanted a headband, Tull. Come on."

Shock G on

Before he realizes it, Fenrir's ears are back and he is slowly lowering his head in a bow to this powerful phantom.

Makai looks at his Fenrir, then back at the ghost, then back at Fenrir again, slowly understanding.
    Oh, I don't care for this development at all.

"Fenrir! Stop that! It is unseemly."

Tullius resisted the urge to intervene on behalf of the other trainer, despite his feelings concerning Fenrir becoming a permanent pest. It wasn't appropriate. Showing a level of restraint that was surprising even for him, he even kept himself from asking why Gigen would want that piece of cloth for a headband and not something better. "Let's go. Lots to do today."

On a very special episode of [Poké] Voltage, Makai has a talk with Fenrir about the danger of gangs.

Tanaka & Gigen

Unseemly!? No! It is right! Proper! All should bow to he, their superior, their lord, thei-

Tanaka picks the shadow up, shakes him, and places him back on his shoulder. "Get a hold, buddy."

Gigen's spell over Fenrir is broken by seeing the phantom getting shaken around like a ragdoll.

edited May 2012
    Hoo ha, played an interesting session of PTA today. More grist to the "make my own goddamn system" mill. Speaking of, will probably have something workable with that. Beyond a quick n dirty stat sheet, anyway.

Update tomorrow, methinks, unless people desperately need more time to RP or something wacky like that.

Edit: More like Tomorrow, now. 4am shifts and playing in other games is doing a doozy on my free time.

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2012
    Gonna be around all day tomorrow, likely messing with system mechanics.

MalaHeader2.jpg

~Malachite Forest~

The party continues pushing deeper into the forest. If the trails were sparse before, they're nonexistent now, and every step of forward movement is paid for with sweat and exertion as the trail is blazed. Elise's servants continue driving back the greenery with repeated slashes of their blades, but their efforts do little to dissuade the creeping vines along the ground that threaten to trip, and the nettles and thorns that mercilessly grasp at the merest scrap of dangling clothing. The canopy overhead seems unusually low and stifling, the ground is uneven and treacherous, and the background sounds of forest creatures have given way to an oppressive, foreboding silence. If the forest was difficult to travel before, now it seems sullen, and downright hostile.

The effort eventually takes its toll on the group, necessitating a brief stop for water, food, and rest. A small area is cleared, packs are gratefully set down, and water canteens, hardtack, and dried fruit are passed out for an impromptu late lunch. The two servants are much less talkative then earlier in the trek, taking full advantage of the rest to take the weight off their legs, but keeping uneasy eyes on their verdant surroundings.

There's no sign of the purportedly territorial Pokemon, and no further splashes of red in the scenery to serve as a Ranger's mark. It seems like the party should take this brief respite to decide whether they want to continue pressing onward, start spreading out and searching in earnest, or turn back and find another, easier route.

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2012
    *Iktomi [Swift 2/2][Trickster 3/3]

Makai shuffles his way into the the clearing then collapses against a tree. Iktomi is still riding on top of his head, feeding of the faint hints off static electricity in the boy's hair. After the encounter with the Hoothoot, Makai returned Fenrir to his apricorn. It's difficult enough trudging through this forest himself, no need to tire out the houndour as well. Although as the trip goes on the urge to just Flamethrower a path through the overgrowth is becoming a more and more attractive option.

The peasant boy takes this opportunity to get his fill of nuts and dried fruit, before talking to The Praetor. "So Tullis, wanna hunt down one of those burn spots? I was kind of hoping we'd just stumble upon one but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not sure but...I bet I could get Fenrir could track down the smell of embers and ashes."

NeoToma on