As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] First Time to PAX Prime? Have You First Timer Wisdom To Share? Inquire within...

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Or just buy a Utilikilt and stuff all your swag in the pockets. :D

I have not the guts! (Or the cash, those things are expensive.)
    Perhaps I should do some sort of bet "I'll wear a utilikilt if y'all chip in and pay for it." I'm sure I'd get tons of responses :P.
    Seriously though, PAX is the place I see the most Utilikilts each year except at the annual Burns Night at my local microbrewery/pub. There you see many many utilikilts, which are worn in place of the taditional kilt buy much of the younger crowd. So if y'all have the cahones to wear them, you'll be in good company.

• ONI_AssassinONI_Assassin Northwood, Middlesex, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As a first time attendee can anyone tell me where the PrePAX Gaming Night is going to be held, or is this one of those TBA's???

Thanks

ONI_Assassin on
    PAX Prime 2012 Status: [X] 3-Day Passes [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [ ] Waiting Patiently

Game forever

"Those who are truly brave will never live in fear!"
    "We are all greater than we know, if only we can be brought to realise this"
    "Fatigue dominates the lives of those who are living without direction and dreams"
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    As a first time attendee can anyone tell me where the PrePAX Gaming Nightis going to be held, or is this one of those TBA's???

Thanks

It's TBA, but usually the largest concentration is in the Sheraton Lobby

• CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    The_Power wrote: »
    Anyone ever rented a bicycle to get around during PAX? I will be staying at the Moore and I was thinking if only I could bring mine with me and ride to and from the con and to nearby spots I'd like to visit.
    With the slope of the streets & the crowds, I can't imagine a bicycle being that great of an idea. Downtown Seattle is pretty pedestrian friendly. I'd suggest either just walking or riding public transit.

• The_PowerThe_Power Registered User regular
    Anyone ever rented a bicycle to get around during PAX? I will be staying at the Moore and I was thinking if only I could bring mine with me and ride to and from the con and to nearby spots I'd like to visit.
    With the slope of the streets & the crowds, I can't imagine a bicycle being that great of an idea. Downtown Seattle is pretty pedestrian friendly. I'd suggest either just walking or riding public transit.

That's awesome cause where I live has to be the worst place to be a pedestrian.

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
  • shockwavershockwaver Registered User regular
    Our first time last year we stayed at the Inn at Virginia Mason - not a bad hotel though it's a bit older and electronics didn't like staying plugged in to the outlets. I wouldn't recommend them though because although it's only about 4 blocks away, it's up a MASSIVE FREAKING HILL. I swear it hit a 45 degree incline during the last block.

It stopped us from doing some late night stuff because walking up that hill after a full day on the floor was just killer - and it was worse in costume. This year we're going to try to get a hotel in the main block of hotels around the convention center - at the very least trying to make the walk home at night DOWNHILL.

I can't stress the having water enough - in the swag bag we got several soft plastic water bottles that collapsed to nothing when empty and those got used extensively. I'd also recommend keeping snacks - we kept a candy bar or two for quick energy but the best thing we found was under the escalators in the convention center was a small cafe that sold some kind of oatmeal bar thing. It was extremely hearty and kept you filled up for ages - plus it kept well in a bag so you could just pull it out and nibble on it.

• HackworthHackworth IssaquahRegistered User regular

I wear my survival model, so much space, its like a second backpack! From the product description of it "The Survival’s maximum capacity is 20 Bottles of the survival beverage of your choice." =D

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular

Most of the bike rental places will want a deposit (anywhere from $200-700) and a daily rate of $30+. Keep in mind that downtown Seattle has quite a few steep hills, and not many designated bike lanes. When I lived there I would avoid having my bike downtown; I found the traffic a little too.. exciting for my tastes. :) The waterfront isn't too bad though.

If it's a cheap way of getting around you're looking for, the bus is free throughout most of downtown during the day, and around $2.50 for anything outside of that area. Also, all the buses have a 2-3 bike rack on the front.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular

i keep forgetting this isn't facebook, for half the things you say i'm thinking "wait where's the like button???"

• The_PowerThe_Power Registered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »
    Most of the bike rental places will want a deposit (anywhere from $200-700) and a daily rate of $30+. Keep in mind that downtown Seattle has quite a few steep hills, and not many designated bike lanes. When I lived there I would avoid having my bike downtown; I found the traffic a little too.. exciting for my tastes. :) The waterfront isn't too bad though.

Yikes, for that much I could very well rent a car. I'll stick to buses and walking looks like. :) Thanks!

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »

Perhaps I should do some sort of bet "I'll wear a utilikilt if y'all chip in and pay for it." I'm sure I'd get tons of responses :P.
    Seriously though, PAX is the place I see the most Utilikilts each year except at the annual Burns Night at my local microbrewery/pub. There you see many many utilikilts, which are worn in place of the taditional kilt buy much of the younger crowd. So if y'all have the cahones to wear them, you'll be in good company.

Yeah, it's basically the unofficial PAX uniform. Ze gf has been highly encouraging me to get one this year so I'll prolly be joining the kilted ranks when I get to Seattle.

I'd just like to take this moment to apologize for my reflective, Scotch/Irish, glaring white "I work in an engineroom and never see the sun" legs in advance.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    For East there was a thread of best places to eat. Is there / will there be one of those for Prime?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    tsrblke wrote: »

Yeah, it's basically the unofficial PAX uniform. Ze gf has been highly encouraging me to get one this year so I'll prolly be joining the kilted ranks when I get to Seattle.

I'd just like to take this moment to apologize for my reflective, Scotch/Irish, glaring white "I work in an engineroom and never see the sun" legs in advance.

I have, once in my life, been confused for an Albino (which is strange, because my eyes are greyish/blue depending what I'm wearing) so I should come no where near such kilt I suppose.
    For East there was a thread of best places to eat. Is there / will there be one of those for Prime?

I know there's one from last year, you could probably find it if you searched. I'd imagine it'll be up again.

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    I guess this just depends on your priorities, but my advice would be that if you find yourself standing in one of those 2 hour + lines in the Expo Hall, perhaps rethink what you are doing. There's so much to see and simply not that many hours in the day with the Expo Hall closing so early. I would say stand in no more than one such line per day or you will miss out on a lot of cool things you may have not been aware of. Some of my best times for example were had on the upper level where a lot of the smaller indie games and boardgames were featured. Those AAA titles you are standing in line to get a 15 minute preview of will be released before you know it anyway.

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular

This can also be applied to anyone who drives stick. It's pretty tricky. Every time I start up a hill a part of me immediately regrets it. The like have traffic lights at the tops of hills, so if you are lucky you are at the front of the line. If not...

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Hesster56Hesster56 OhioRegistered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

I'm finally making my dreams come true and going to PAX Prime this year. It's going to be my first PAX, East or Prime, and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

Loving this thread, are there any others besides the main FAQ I should read?

And as I'll be coming from Ohio, is anyone else making the East to West pilgrimage? How bad is a red-eye flight going to be coming home? Should I try to stay at PAX as late as I can on Sunday and then sleep/leave Monday, or would it be okay to leave mid-Sunday and hop on a plane?

Thanks for all the responses in advance!

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    In order:

If you want to do any pre/post-PAX events (like the Magical Mystery Tour, Pre-PAX dinner, Post-PAX party, etc.), you should check out those threads.
    There should be a WANG (Westward Aviation Networking Group) thread coming up sometime soon for people to coordinate flights to Seattle.
    I'd definitely recommend leaving Monday. That way you're not hurrying yourself of taking a red-eye flight. If Monday's going to be a lost cause since you're going West-to-East, might as well leave on Monday.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Hesster56 wrote: »
    Good news, everyone!

I'm finally making my dreams come true and going to PAX Prime this year. It's going to be my first PAX, East or Prime, and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

And as I'll be coming from Ohio, is anyone else making the East to West pilgrimage? How bad is a red-eye flight going to be coming home? Should I try to stay at PAX as late as I can on Sunday and then sleep/leave Monday, or would it be okay to leave mid-Sunday and hop on a plane?

Try reading most of the first page [PRIME] tagged threads, especially the MAP thread. You'll see a LOT of people going E->W on the map.

If you can, arrive no later than Thursday and leave no earlier than Monday. You will thank yourself.

• Hesster56Hesster56 OhioRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

If you can, arrive no later than Thursday and leave no earlier than Monday. You will thank yourself.

That's what I was leaning towards. Due to the horrible science of time zones, I'd actually be getting in around noon on Thursday. I figured that was a good amount of time for settling in/prepping.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yes I will be starting up/reposting my thread I did last year shortly.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• just0nejust0ne Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bring comfortable shoes. With plenty of support and cushioning. If you don't have them, go buy some now. Invest in good insoles. This is a life-tip as well, but especially important for long periods of standing, walking, and all types of convention, including PAX.

If your converse chuck Taylor's with the hand forged art and the special pink eyelets and rainbow laces just HAVE to be worn, so be it. But don't say we didn't warn you.

Looking cool or stylish has to give way to long term ability to stand and be mobile at some point. Are the two or three positive comments about your choice of footwear really worth it? Happy feet make happy faces, which are way more likely to make new friends. [ :-) ]

just0ne on
    just0ne wrote: »
    Bring comfortable shoes. With plenty of support and cushioning. If you don't have them, go buy some now. Invest in good insoles. This is a life-tip as well, but especially important for long periods of standing, walking, and all types of convention, including PAX.

If your converse chuck Taylor's with the hand forged art and the special pink eyelets and rainbow laces just HAVE to be worn, so be it. But don't say we didn't warn you.

Looking cool or stylish has to give way to long term ability to stand and be mobile at some point. Are the two or three positive comments about your choice of footwear really worth it? Happy feet make happy faces, which are way more likely to make new friends. [ :-) ]

This is all very much YMMV. If you're not used to being on your feet and/or walking all day then definitely get cushions and all that. If you are used to it then don't worry at all.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • FusionCapFusionCap "Journalist" MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

I actually like leaving on a red-eye Sunday. If you leave late enough, it won't interfere with any activities Sunday. And, as has been mentioned by others, don't spend too much time in the expo hall, the people are what makes PAX special. I've gone with a press pass a few times, and I prefer to spend my time meeting and hanging out with people rather than prowling the expo hall all day.

Good news, everyone!

You're going to get 2 answers for every person on the "leave Sunday/Monday" question I think. I could throw in 10 good reasons why I prefer to leave Sunday (relaxing after PAX, get to causually pack, get some sleep, go to dinner with some people and not have to worry about time etc.) and I'm sure someone else could list another 10 why to leave Sunday (Cost comes to mind.) I think I'd not want to skip out in the middle of Sunday because I love staying for the final round of the Omegathon.
    YMMV, but right now coming from StL at least, it looks like Tuesday Plane tickets are going to be the cheapest getting out there, with prices going up as you approach the weekend. This is how it was last year as well. (I'll emphasize again YMMV, flight deals change, etc.)

I actually take a split approach on the "expo hall question." PAX is the only Con I go to, and last year being my first year, I enjoyed being on the expohall floor just for the sight of it all. We'll see how my time shakes down this year.

Also I'd check out the food thread that just went up. You can subsist on fast food and whatnot at PAX, personally I prefer not to. But, this is my vacation, and the wife and I enjoy going out to new resturants over fast food, so that might make me an anomoly at PAX.

Leave Monday because Sunday night is the Post PAX Party and it's always awesome. :D

I'm actually gonna leave Tuesday this time since there's always some sort of after party/concert going on Monday.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    Just a heads up to new Prime goers. Do not wear a normal backpack. Trust me.

PAX is crowded and the last thing you'll want to do is be smacking around everyone with a backpack full of swag

The best thing I've found to use is something more of a drawstring backpack than a traditional one. It'll make your life and the lives of those around you much more pleasant :).

Also, to reinforce what a lot of people are saying, do not waste time in lines. Make a game plan of 3-4 of the major AAA titles you want to see, then spend some time up in the indie area or at the card games/tabletop areas. Talking with indie game developers about their game as you are playing it is pretty awesome, and the free play areas are a blast. I got hooked on the WoW TCG last PAX thanks to my nosiness :P

PAX is crowded and the last thing you'll want to do is be smacking around everyone with a backpack full of swag

The best thing I've found to use is something more of a drawstring backpack than a traditional one. It'll make your life and the lives of those around you much more pleasant :).

Also, to reinforce what a lot of people are saying, do not waste time in lines. Make a game plan of 3-4 of the major AAA titles you want to see, then spend some time up in the indie area or at the card games/tabletop areas. Talking with indie game developers about their game as you are playing it is pretty awesome, and the free play areas are a blast. I got hooked on the WoW TCG last PAX thanks to my nosiness :P

I still totally disagree about not wearing a normal backpack. It depends on how much stuff you want to be carrying I guess, but nothing beats the comfort of a well made backpack imo. The only way you'll be smacking people with it is if you don't pay attention to where you are and where you're going. If you know you have a backpack on, don't make sudden abrupt turns without looking. It's like saying "don't get a big car because you might hit someone with it". If you know what you're doing, you won't be whacking people all over the place :)

• PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular

I still totally disagree about not wearing a normal backpack. It depends on how much stuff you want to be carrying I guess, but nothing beats the comfort of a well made backpack imo. The only way you'll be smacking people with it is if you don't pay attention to where you are and where you're going. If you know you have a backpack on, don't make sudden abrupt turns without looking. It's like saying "don't get a big car because you might hit someone with it". If you know what you're doing, you won't be whacking people all over the place :)

All valid points, but people tend to do a lot of rubbernecking and it leads to a lot of inadvertent smacking and bumping into everyone around them. I know it isnt a huge issue but hey, just throwin out some advice :).

Plus I dont know about everyone else, but I don't tend to carry around much but I really dont have many extra needs other than a bottle of water or swag I get which is never enough to make me need a bigger pack.

All valid points, but people tend to do a lot of rubbernecking and it leads to a lot of inadvertent smacking and bumping into everyone around them. I know it isnt a huge issue but hey, just throwin out some advice :).

Plus I dont know about everyone else, but I don't tend to carry around much but I really dont have many extra needs other than a bottle of water or swag I get which is never enough to make me need a bigger pack.

A lot of this is going to depend on the type of backpack you have. I personally own two. One is a 2 compartment, (plus shoe area below) behemoth of a backpack that I used to carry all my books around in Highschool and College. Fully loaded it likely sticks out about nearly a foot off my back. I would crush people with this turning suddenly. I'd see that as fairly unavoidable, it's just not made for crowded spaces.
    My other backpack is a hiking daypack that is longer and thinner (smaller overall) designed for trudging through the woods. So even fully loaded it sticks close to my body (after all, the last thing you want in the woods is making a sharp turn on a switchback, knocking a tree and losing your balance.) I'm fairly certain it would allow me to navigate fairly well.
    I still haven't decided what I'm bringing honestly. I'll likely pack an over the shoulder bag. My Daypack makes a nice airline carryone, so it'll likely get used and come with me anyway.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    You may not hit people with your backpack but they will run into you, guaranteed. Actually, they'll run into you regardless of the bag you choose. Trust.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    This is an odd hotel question but.... Is there any hotel that has rooms that have side doors?? Like 2 different rooms but have a door in the inbetween wall so you can go form one room to the other?? Like say I reserve room #200 and my buddy reserves room #202, we need to have a door in the wall that seperates the too rooms.... I hope someone knows what im talking about....

I work in the travel industry...so my guess is that you can call the hotel a couple of weeks prior to arriving and ask the hotel directly for adjoining rooms. If they have them, most places will do what they can to get you what you want. That said, it's just a request, not a guarantee. I have seen people saying to call OnPeak, but they just have the rooms to sell, they are not the ones assigning the actual room numbers. Best I think they can do is to add the request on to your reservation but they problem with that is that the hotels are getting so many at once, they may not see it, or action the request when putting the info in their systems.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Unless you're making sudden turns there's really no issue with a normal sized backpack. Just recognize your slightly larger footprint and plan/act accordingly.

I cannot recommend a drawstring knapsack as the cords will just murder your shoulders once the bag gets any significant weight.

I don't carry around much either but still carry a full size backpack, simply because it means my hands are free, which is kind of a big deal for a large portion of the content at PAX.

Also, on the subject of how accustomed to standing/walking you are, I would argue that especially if you stand for multiple hours on a regular basis, invest in new shoes or insoles for your shoes a month before PAX, and then wear them every day until PAX to break them in. Your feet will be so happy, I promise.

Personal testimony: At last PAX Prime, by Sunday morning getting out of bed HURT. It was okay once I was up for a bit, but that first bit of pressure was not met without heavy objection. I'm also a regular game master for various RPG conventions (Gen Con, etc), and spend most of my time doing that on my feet, but by Sunday morning again I would usually be seriously contemplating crawling around just to give my feet some relief.

Fast forward to a month before PAX East 2012. I purchased some Superfeet Green insoles ($40 at your local big-box sporting goods store). When I first put them in, my feet kind of hurt while wearing them; they warn you about this in the packaging, as apparently your feet are not used to getting proper support for a natural footfall. That stopped after a week or so though, and then I wore them to East. THEY. WERE. AMAZING. I was pretty much on my feet nonstop from Friday through Monday and I didn't even feel fatigued from it. I was tired, sure, but my feet weren't the source of it.

tl;dr- Get new shoes/insoles, even if you're used to standing a lot. The ones you have now are probably heavily worn out and could use a refresh.

Nullzone on
    edited May 2012
    I wear dem Chucks with no insoles to pax and never have those problems. :p

Maybe I'm just weird or too drunk to notice. Speaking of, I need to figure out what bottle I'm bringing with me.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    If you drink and like Harry Potter, keep an eye out for the pubcrawl sign-up thread.

Accidentally going on the pubcrawl my very first year at PAX is still my strongest memory of PAX. I showed up on Thursday at nine or ten PM, and my roomate who I had never met before said "hey, we're going to this bar." When we got there she couldn't get in - turns out she was 2 days away from her 21st birthday, but she told me to go inside and hang out with her friends.

Hufflepuff was inside. They pressganged me.

It. Was. Awesome.

I'd never done a pubcrawl before. I've done a couple since, and none compare. If you can sign up, sign up. If you don't sign up, sadly tagging along is no longer possible.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    My avatar is from last year's crawl. I showed up as Hunter S. Thompson in Slytherin colors because I was also crashing another crawl at the same time. This year is my third year in Slytherin actually. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    Reading things like: "You won't be able to do it all" scares me because I'm sure most, if not all, of the people who have said it had all three days to spend. Sadly I only got a Sunday badge so I'm feeling a bit iffy on how much I'll get done for the price of the plane ticket and hotel costs.

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
    Well, there are the community events and there are plenty of outside of pax industry organized parties.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Need some advice on packing a lunch vs buying.

At East there wasn't a lot of options for a quick lunch, it was pack your own or get bad convention center food. At Prime It seems like there are a lot more places to eat lunch. Is it still worth the time to pack to our own (minus the obvious cost benefit) or are there enough places around the con to grab some quick and decent food?

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    ramen215 wrote: »
    Reading things like: "You won't be able to do it all" scares me because I'm sure most, if not all, of the people who have said it had all three days to spend. Sadly I only got a Sunday badge so I'm feeling a bit iffy on how much I'll get done for the price of the plane ticket and hotel costs.

Well part of the reason you can't do it all is simply because events overlap (or close to). Perfect example, last year Irrational Game's (Bioshock Infinite) panel was the Panel immeditely before Skyrim's panel (same room and everything.) You can't do both. The line up for the Skyrim panel started I think 2 hours before the panel (and people "broke street" so to speak by milling about outside of the line for long before that, long story, another time.) So you had to be in line before the Irrational Panel let out (most of the time they'll clear the room between panels, if not it's usually announced via the twitters that they won't, and that ususally only happens for the Keynote-Q&A panel block).
    So, 2 day pass, 3 day pass, 1 day pass, that wasn't happening short of a time machine. The caution is, I found the panels on Sunday to be less interesting (but that could just be luck of the draw), a lot of booth were low on swag, but the final round of the Omegathon is always a hoot.
    You'll of course need to weight your potential enjoyment vs. the cost of everything (which can get quite pricey). Consider tossing in a "Day around Seattle" or some Bumbershoot (ticket required) after PAX to make it seem less like you flew up for one day.

Need some advice on packing a lunch vs buying.

At East there wasn't a lot of options for a quick lunch, it was pack your own or get bad convention center food. At Prime It seems like there are a lot more places to eat lunch. Is it still worth the time to pack to our own (minus the obvious cost benefit) or are there enough places around the con to grab some quick and decent food?

Con food is easy to get and there a bajillion places to get nomnoms within a block or two. I never bring food with me and haven't gone hungry yet.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.