As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    What I extrapolated from that trailer:

Bane destroys the ways in and out of the city, locking everyone inside, essentially. Except for Batman, because Batman has a Batplan and has therefore comissioned a Batplane.

The end.

The Dark Knight spoilers:
    Wasn't Wayne Enterprises building The Bat off-screen there? Reese mentioned how Wayne was building a "rocketship".

Actually that was a reference to the cellphone-sonar project Bruce was doing.
    Surely Reese is smart enough to recognize the difference between a cell phone sonar project and a flying vehicle.

The line is "Now you've got the entire R&D department burning through cash, claiming it's related to 'cell phones for the army'? What are you building for him now a... rocket ship?"

Then in the next scene Lucious asks Bruce about it:

Lucious: "Did you reassign R&D?"
    Bruce: "Yup. Government telecommunications project."
    Lucious: "I wasn't aware we had any government contracts."
    Bruce: "Lucious, I'm playing this one pretty close to the chest."

it's the cellphone thing.

Okay.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    At the risk of becoming the next Bigfoot Hunter, I give you:
    jgl.png

And Comparison Shot:
    JGL3.png

bottom mouth/chin looks different to me

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    jgl.png

And Comparison Shot:
    JGL3.png

That Batman looks like Bale. I'm well aware that I'll probably be proven wrong, but it looks like Bale's Batman IMO.

Lh96QHG.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Even if JGL becomes the new Batman (bringing several excerpts from my dream journal into wonderful life), I doubt they'd show it in the trailer, no matter how well disguised they think the mask might make him.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Maybe it's one of the shots of him from BEHIND!

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    How good a Batman could JGL be anyways? He more than likely doesn't have the years of ninja training, or even years of being Batman under his belt. At best, I see him donning the suit, being fake Batman, almost dieing, before Wayne comes in and rescues his ass. Still doesn't mean that Wayne won't die in the end though, which I feel is a good possibility.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    How good a Batman could JGL be anyways? He more than likely doesn't have the years of ninja training, or even years of being Batman under his belt. At best, I see him donning the suit, being fake Batman, almost dieing, before Wayne comes in and rescues his ass. Still doesn't mean that Wayne won't die in the end though, which I feel is a good possibility.
    When people speak of JGL becoming Batman, I am assuming they mean after Wayne's death. As in, one of the last scenes in the film is JGL taking up the mantle of Batman. Beginning his training.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I really don't see this film ending any way other than Bruce Wayne dying.

I'd love to be surprised, but five years of training as a writer, all the pieces fit.

And if JGL is who the WB and DC want to take the reigns after Bale and Nolan ride off into the sunset, color me excited for the future of the franchise.

Lh96QHG.png
  • hardxcore_conservativehardxcore_conservative Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure one of the frames in the trailer shows Batman holding a blue firearm of some kind.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is slated to play a rookie cop. Maybe he dons the mantle and breaks all of Batman's old rules?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    That thing looked like a movie version of the taser-gun thing he uses in the new Batman game.

I'm pretty sure one of the frames in the trailer shows Batman holding a blue firearm of some kind.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is slated to play a rookie cop. Maybe he dons the mantle and breaks all of Batman's old rules?

Perhaps, though that could easily be some sort of EMP gun or something.

There's a time jump, so if Batsy is knocked out in the opening JGL may well train up and try to take up the cowl, propelling Bruce to come flapping back into action, leading up to his finally giving Gotham everything in a grand finale (in every sense of the term), leaving whoever is left alive to pick up the pieces afterward.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I'd love to be surprised, but five years of training as a writer, all the pieces fit.

And if JGL is who the WB and DC want to take the reigns after Bale and Nolan ride off into the sunset, color me excited for the future of the franchise.

WB is rebooting the franchise once Dark Knight Rises is released. Nolan is staying on as a producer, with a new director.

I'd really like it if, as superhero movies and characters sort of mature and become established, we could get movies that explore the characters the way the good comic storylines do, by taking the established character and just telling a good story with him. Movies have to spend so much time establishing the world, the characters - will we get to the point where the movie can just say "You all know Batman, so here he is doing some shit." Kind of like James Bond, but less formulaic.

I guess you start running into typical comic problems of no one ever dying etc. if you recycle it too much, but I feel like movies have only scratched the surface of how deep the potential is for these characters and stories.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    jgl.png

And Comparison Shot:
    JGL3.png

Which is why I know I sound like I'm proving the existence of the Sasquatch here.
    JGL3.jpg

Chin has a matching dent. Same angular corners of the mouth. Also note the creases in the cheekbones in the well-lit shot versus the dark one. Just under the cowl around the nose, similar skin folds framing the nostrils.

Then again, it could just mean the inevitable comparisons between two attractive leading men with excellent facial features.

Perhaps it's no coincidence Christian Bale is shown with a beard in the trailer, obscuring side-by-side comparisons with a naked Bat-chin under the cowl. Plus, y'know. Bale is pretty good at altering his appearance movie to movie.

public-enemies-bale.jpg

Who knows?

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    That's clearly bale in the first pic..

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah Bale's batman has that look. Bale does this sort of open lip thing when he's moving around. I'm guessing it's because the suit is so god damned heavy on his head.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EddEdd Registered User regular

That trailer really, really wanted us to get accustomed to the sight of JGL.

Though with respect to the future, I believe the word is that they're thinking of another reboot that allows for an eventual Justice League crossover with the Superman franchise, so JGL's days are most likely numbered. I would guess the only way that doesn't happen is if this weekend all of America is unanimous in their hate of The Avengers.

Well I guess what I'm saying is that depending on how JGL and based on his past work, I think he has potential to be the next batman (though that's rather unlikely).

I would love if the batboot doesn't do the origin story though. We know batman, jump the fuck in.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I love how everyone states this is nolanverse final batman like its some fact that is etched in stone. Yes, right now there are no plans for Nolan to do more batmans. But Im pretty sure that was the talk when TDK was coming up for release, until about the time of its release. And Nolan is having a big role in Superman too. It seems DC is very high on him, rightfully so. Im not saying he will definately make more batman movies. Im just saying, DCs plans for the franchise would change if Nolan decided he wanted to do more, and all it takes is his brother writing an awesome Batman Beyond script to make that happen. Similar to the way this movie exists because his brother wrote this script and wowed him.

616610-1.png
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    Well I guess what I'm saying is that depending on how JGL and based on his past work, I think he has potential to be the next batman (though that's rather unlikely).

I would love if the batboot doesn't do the origin story though. We know batman, jump the fuck in.

I have an easier time imagining JGL as picking up the mantle and offering an unlikely answer to Batman's absence than his being Batman's native form, but then there was Michael Keaton, so, whatever.

But yeah, the convenience of a three-act origin story structure is going to seriously limit how interesting any future Batman movie will ever be. There can't be anyone left who actually needs that information, and even if there were, there's really something to be said for never fully revealing your dark, mysterious protagonist.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also pretty sure if they go Batman in the JLA, they're not going to not use Bruce Wayne.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I love how everyone states this is nolanverse final batman like its some fact that is etched in stone. Yes, right now there are no plans for Nolan to do more batmans. But Im pretty sure that was the talk when TDK was coming up for release, until about the time of its release. And Nolan is having a big role in Superman too. It seems DC is very high on him, rightfully so. Im not saying he will definately make more batman movies. Im just saying, DCs plans for the franchise would change if Nolan decided he wanted to do more, and all it takes is his brother writing an awesome Batman Beyond script to make that happen. Similar to the way this movie exists because his brother wrote this script and wowed him.

How many times does the trailer need to say 'The Epic Conclusion'?

4 times maybe

Well, the origin story for Batman, Superman, they're done to death. They've been done every interesting way you can do them a thousand times over.

My wish is that Superman and Batman, in their next incarnations, just pick up and run with some adventuring.

Lh96QHG.png
  • D2WoodD2Wood Registered User regular
    Umm... Not to ruin all the JGL love, but doesn't the trailer show bane throwing his character off a pretty steep cliff at 1:17? Presumably to his death?

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    D2Wood wrote: »
    Umm... Not to ruin all the JGL love, but doesn't the trailer show bane throwing his character off a pretty steep cliff at 1:17? Presumably to his death?
    Flying car. ;-)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited May 2012
    When was the last time falling off a cliff actually killed someone in a movie.

KalTorak on
    thelmalouise3.jpg

see? that was like, a hundred years ago.

they could of had a flying car in that too

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Didn't they crash into a mountain of trash?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    emperor_s_throne_room23.jpg
    gruber-falling-die-hard.jpg
    pajibadeadcharactersjoker-thumb-500x299-33442.jpg
    969056_1331055048383_full.jpg

Also Penguin in Batman Returns, Two-Face in Batman Forever, and Two-Face again in The Dark Knight, but I couldn't find pictures.
    JGL probably survives that, though.

Disrupter wrote: »

RIght just like how we "FInished the Fight" in halo 3, and yet ODST, Reach, and now Halo 4 is coming...

Its a marketing thing. And likely Nolan feels he is finishing the Dark Knight saga. Doesn't it specifically say "The Epic Conclusion of the Dark Knight Saga" or something? Yes, his storyline about Bruce's rise and sacrifice for Gotham is coming to an end. He likely feels, at this point, he is done with the franchise. But he felt that way after TDK too, and his brother enticed him back with a solid idea for TDKR.

Point is, piles of money, and/or a spark of inspiration can change that. I dont feel the possibilities for him to continue after this are any more or less than they were after Begins or TDK. Of course, as of right now its his last. But every movie in this reboot was made without a plan to make another. The fact he has woven it into a nice trillogy is impressive, but it wasnt some planned storyline coming to an end like Harry Potter 7 or something.

its likely the end, yes. But it wouldnt surprise me in the least if it wasnt.

616610-1.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't know if you played either of those released Halo games but they both took place before Halo 3 and it did finish that story.

Halo 4 is completely unconnected.

More importantly DC has expressed their plans to reboot Batman into a more Justice League friendly version. It's happening. You really think Nolan would keep making Batman movie while someone else did at the same time? It's over.

Quire.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Nolan must be obscenely wealthy by this point so I doubt he's motivated by money to do anything.

Honestly, I don't care if he makes another, either way. Personally Nolan's original works are more exciting then his batman stuff. I just dont see where the finality is. How many times has DC planned JL movies? Like 100. None of them have gone anywhere. If Nolan wanted more Batman, DC would give it to him and put their flimsly 101st attempt at JL on hold. Remember, they are also putting him in charge of Superman. If I had to take bets on who would direct a possible JL movie, I think Nolan would be the hands down favorite. Despite what DC claims about wanting a friendly version, theyve already handed him the reigns of their two biggest franchises, and hes broken records with one. DC would salivate at Nolan heading JL or keeping his Batman going. They wouldnt stop him, he prints money, acclaim and records for them.

Really, all the discussion about Justice League and Nolan not wanting to do another occurred with TDK as well. Somehow, this being the 3rd movie means its the end of a trilogy (that was never planned as one...) so this time its over for realies. I don't buy that. Its no more a sure thing as it was after TDK, and we saw what happened after that.

It likely IS over. But until someone at DC or Nolan says that Nolan is done making batman movies (which hasnt happened, a marketing line of "epic conclusion" isnt confirmation from either side) I don't have any reason to think Nolan might not just go "wouldnt it be cool if Batman..." and then we have a new Batman from Nolan.

Heck even if he says he IS done, I still wouldn't rule out him changing his mind. Really the only thing that kills Nolan making another batman will be when someone else actually reboots it. Until then, its no different then what happened last time.

616610-1.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm a really big Batman fan, but for some reason all enthusiasm I should have for this movie just isn't there. Something about these movies just don't feel 'Batman' to me.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'm just worried that DKR will wind up in the same place as Return of the Jedi. A solid film, a good conclusion to the story, and a fun movie to watch with many memorable parts, but at the end of the day it will be overshadowed by an absolutely perfect 2nd Act of the trilogy it's associated with.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Eh, if that's the worst that happens, I can live with it.

For the record, I like RotJ better, even though I recognize it's a weaker film.

camo_sig2.png
    Yeah, comparing it to other 3rd-in-series superhero movies, getting ROTJ would be OK by me.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Whatever else, I'm pretty sure Christopher Nolan has a general policy of saying nothing about future bat-movies until the current one has made the theater rounds and is no longer on Netflix instant cue.

I'm also pretty sure he won't do another one unless he can find a way to make it interesting enough for him to do.

Hell, for all we know, after Man of Steel, maybe Nolan will end up doing the Justice League movie.