As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes.

You can manually copy the 3 team fortress 2*.gcf files in SteamApps and the Team Fortress 2 folder in the user name folder too. Non-valve games are easier, just copy the game folder out of the Common folder and paste it into the other PC. Valve likes being special.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Excellent, thank you. This basically allows me to play my Steam Games online again. Huzzah!

Fantastic
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm going to rant a little about Risen 2 here. Feel free to ignore me. :P
    Ignoring the performance issues, some of which are just bizarre (I've had the game slow down to 1 frame a second randomly.) the game is just too deeply flawed to be considered fun by anyone that enjoys any sort of RPG. Combat is incredibly unbalanced. You can't block or parry monster/animal attacks. At all.
    Getting hit by an enemy stuns you for a second or so, and when you have multiple enemies all hitting you with unblockable attacks it's less than fun. And this will happen all the time.
    Human enemies are less difficult to deal with if you have an npc following you around and cheese the dirty tricks but at least in the first ten hours I played of the game companions drop in and out of the party all the time. The problem of fighting multiple enemies at once is still present with human enemies though.
    I've also hit a game breaking bug where an npc that should be long gone will kill me in one shot with a musket whenever I try to progress the story quest.
    Anyone who is considering getting Risen 2 can probably skip it altogether. You can get far better experiences for much cheaper.

Sounds kind of like the combat in the first Risen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Many thanks to @docken for Analogue: A Hate Story!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yes.

You can manually copy the 3 team fortress 2*.gcf files in SteamApps and the Team Fortress 2 folder in the user name folder too. Non-valve games are easier, just copy the game folder out of the Common folder and paste it into the other PC. Valve likes being special.

Although to be fair, Valve's "specialty" in this case doesn't apply to newer games. I believe L4D 1 and 2, as well as Portal 2, are kept in the Common folder now. Maybe one day they'll fix the earlier games to work that way too.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Big thanks to @Riokenn for the gift of Noitu Love 2 Devolution! Apparently I won the giveaway for it some days back, which I only noticed now when I went searching through my emails for the word 'gift'.

I wanted to see who gifted me Bastion way back when, and it turned out it was @Minor Incident. Bastion really is the gift that keeps on giving, because it's such a fantastic experience that's worth coming back to!

So thanks again Riokenn, and Minor Incident!

And let's not forget @Icemopper who gifted me the Bastion soundtrack out of the blue a couple of months ago.

It really is an amazing community here.

(*)

No problem, been in the gifting mood lately. Perhaps I will choose a friend at random later today and gift them something from their wishlist.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I wish I had the means to do some gifting right now, but yes, this thread continues to deliver.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I wish I had the means to do some gifting right now, but yes, this thread continues to deliver.

If I wasn't utterly broke, I'd be dishing out Bastion-related love to the poor souls that have yet to experience its awesomeness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is the soundtrack to Dustforce worth it? Because I'm leaning towards buying the version that includes the soundtrack.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I was in the chat last night, entertained by the CHAT of people playing Sniper. Something is wrong with me.

• Options
    Looks like we are (or will be) able to start downloads for games remotely now:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/02/steam-introducing-remote-downloads-download-stuff-remotely-for-maximum-fun-time/
    Valve are introducing a new Steam feature that lets you manage your library and trigger remote downloads from anywhere in the world! Anywhere with an internet connection and browser that is. The feature is currently available via the new Beta client. To get involved, just click File/Settings from within Steam and get downloading. Expect the feature to hit the main Steam client soon.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/02/steam-introducing-remote-downloads-download-stuff-remotely-for-maximum-fun-time/
    Valve are introducing a new Steam feature that lets you manage your library and trigger remote downloads from anywhere in the world! Anywhere with an internet connection and browser that is. The feature is currently available via the new Beta client. To get involved, just click File/Settings from within Steam and get downloading. Expect the feature to hit the main Steam client soon.

Yeah, yeah... now where's my damn Steamchat in the mobile client???

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Excellent, now I'll be able to download games from my sofa while my laptop is 3 meters away in my kitchen. Bwahahahahaha!!!

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Is the soundtrack to Dustforce worth it? Because I'm leaning towards buying the version that includes the soundtrack.

The music in Dustforce is amazing so I'd say yes.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm going to rant a little about Risen 2 here. Feel free to ignore me. :P
    Ignoring the performance issues, some of which are just bizarre (I've had the game slow down to 1 frame a second randomly.) the game is just too deeply flawed to be considered fun by anyone that enjoys any sort of RPG. Combat is incredibly unbalanced. You can't block or parry monster/animal attacks. At all.
    Getting hit by an enemy stuns you for a second or so, and when you have multiple enemies all hitting you with unblockable attacks it's less than fun. And this will happen all the time.
    Human enemies are less difficult to deal with if you have an npc following you around and cheese the dirty tricks but at least in the first ten hours I played of the game companions drop in and out of the party all the time. The problem of fighting multiple enemies at once is still present with human enemies though.
    I've also hit a game breaking bug where an npc that should be long gone will kill me in one shot with a musket whenever I try to progress the story quest.
    Anyone who is considering getting Risen 2 can probably skip it altogether. You can get far better experiences for much cheaper.

Sounds kind of like the combat in the first Risen.

This is really disappointing as fantasy pirate RPG wad something I was pretty intrigued by. Would definitely have considered picking it up on sale sometime.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    I had Binary Domain on my wishlist, but after seeing RPS tear it apart, I think I will remove it. :D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/wot-i-think-binary-domain/#more-106495

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Handgimp for GundeadliGne. What an unexpected thing to wake up to. You sir, are too classy as always.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote: »
    I had Binary Domain on my wishlist, but after seeing RPS tear it apart, I think I will remove it. :D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/wot-i-think-binary-domain/#more-106495

The first part matches my impression with the demo. I found the option to change the displayed buttons before starting the game, though. The demo just jumps straight to the action, so I haven't experienced the tutorial parts he mentions.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've been screwing around in Bastion trying to finish all the Proving Grounds and Vigils before going into the last level. Only Vigil I have left is the "kill 3 enemies with a single Breaker Bow power shot" and the only Proving Grounds I haven't gotten 1st place in are for the hammer, pistols, and cannon. But I'm not sure whether I'll go right back into a new game+ or not. Which brings me to my question. I accidentally spoiled the fact that at the end:
    you get a choice between two endings. I immediately stopped reading, so I don't really know what that choice is going to be. And I don't want to know. But is one ending regarded as better than the other?

And I'm enjoying the game so much that I'm using this as my desktop wallpaper. (spoiler'd for huge)
    MvcRg.jpg

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A-10C Warthog for $13.59 is the Daily.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I've been screwing around in Bastion trying to finish all the Proving Grounds and Vigils before going into the last level. Only Vigil I have left is the "kill 3 enemies with a single Breaker Bow power shot" and the only Proving Grounds I haven't gotten 1st place in are for the hammer, pistols, and cannon. But I'm not sure whether I'll go right back into a new game+ or not. Which brings me to my question. I accidentally spoiled the fact that at the end:
    you get a choice between two endings. I immediately stopped reading, so I don't really know what that choice is going to be. And I don't want to know. But is one ending regarded as better than the other?

And I'm enjoying the game so much that I'm using this as my desktop wallpaper. (spoiler'd for huge)
    MvcRg.jpg

No decision is considered the best, it is up to the player. Also I would go into New Game+, you can play through the entire game in one sitting basically and the enhanced weapons definitely makes the Proving Grounds easier. This way you get to see both endings and hit all of the achievements. Also my desktop is set as The Kid facing off against a gas bag, it's amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I don't get the appeal. It's usually 40 bucks and you only fly 1 type of plane? Why are flight sims so expensive?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Because it takes a shit-ton of work to simulate all the crap that is going on in a real simulator versus the more arcadey ones, and also because people who enjoy sims will pay for it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Because it takes a shit-ton of work to simulate all the crap that is going on in a real simulator versus the more arcadey ones, and also because people who enjoy sims will pay for it.

I mean I suppose that's the case with any game. It just seems like a lot for not much content.

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Does Dustforce have multiple characters? Or is that just the local multiplayer?
    It's not just multiplayer. You can use any of 'em at any time.

I am not sure if it makes a difference to gameplay though.

The characters do have differences. The blue guy and red girl are very similar, but I'm told they have slight differences. The tiny purple girl has shorter jumps, but can triple jump compared to everyone else's double jump and attacks really fast. The old guy has a somewhat floaty jump and a longer attack range.

Everyone should get Bastion and Dustforce. They are both great.

I haven't gotten to try it out yet, but Steam has remote management in beta now.

There is a Dustforce demo...but not on Steam.
    Just in case anyone isn't sure they want it.
    I love everything about this game but I don't know if it is for me... I'm not sure if the controls are not responding properly or if I'm just not getting it (most likely, based on the Quick Look I saw of this awhile back.)

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    bought sniper 1 because of the pricetag and everyone gushing about the new one, go to install, see that I have 40gb on my main 1tb drive, don't install... I need to clear out some space or get a drive solely for steam

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Oh no... but I just spent my money on Sniper V2...
    Guess it's gonna be cheap lunches the next few weeks. :P

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I mean I suppose that's the case with any game. It just seems like a lot for not much content.

A flight sim like the ones DCS have been making have waaaaaaaaaay more content than pretty much any new released AAA game, with community support and a lifespan that makes more mainstream gaming look like a rip off. Flight sims are generally huge on content, and usually ship with one or more campaigns, quick mission mode, scenarios, mission construction tools, multiple levels of simulation for accessibility, multiplayer and all that other stuff.

• Options

The manual for A10C is over 600 pages. Flight sims may not appeal to you (and they don't appeal to me, either), but saying that there's not enough "stuff" to justify the price probably isn't true.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Ordered me new puter finally. Going to be hell waiting for it to arrive. Plenty of time to decide what games to buy that I passed on buying because I knew they wouldn't run okay like Legened of Grimrock or Witcher 2.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

A flight sim like the ones DCS have been making have waaaaaaaaaay more content than pretty much any new released AAA game, with community support and a lifespan that makes more mainstream gaming look like a rip off. Flight sims are generally huge on content, and usually ship with one or more campaigns, quick mission mode, scenarios, mission construction tools, multiple levels of simulation for accessibility, multiplayer and all that other stuff.

Flight Sims are one of those genres where there's an assload of content in the game, it's just that how "content" is defined for them is slightly different from other games.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I bought DCS A-10C for $60 (which is crazy for me, I can only afford to buy maybe 1 or 2 full priced games a year), and feel it was worth every penny. $14 for it is a steal, if you want a hardcore sim.

• Options

The manual for A10C is over 600 pages. Flight sims may not appeal to you (and they don't appeal to me, either), but saying that there's not enough "stuff" to justify the price probably isn't true.

Yeah, you're right. I just figured flight sims usually have more than 1 plane, don't they?

• Options
    R0land1188 wrote: »

MvcRg.jpg

No decision is considered the best, it is up to the player. Also I would go into New Game+, you can play through the entire game in one sitting basically and the enhanced weapons definitely makes the Proving Grounds easier. This way you get to see both endings and hit all of the achievements. Also my desktop is set as The Kid facing off against a gas bag, it's amazing.

What's the difference in new game+? I have most of the weapons already max upgraded, I'm at lvl7, and I only have 3 proving grounds left (which I'll beat before starting the final level). Besides seeing what we're talking about in the spoiler, I don't really see what I'd gain from it.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Yeah, you're right. I just figured flight sims usually have more than 1 plane, don't they?

Microsoft Flight Simulator did, but none of them are as fully realized as AC-10's is reported to be.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yes, but most flight sims don't have the fidelity of the DCS system. Almost every button, knob, and switch does what it does in the real plane, and pretty much all electronic systems are modeled.

• Options

I think so, but I also don't think most sims have the same level of detail as the DCS games do. From what I've heard of them, calling them "flight sims" isn't really as accurate a description as "interactive flight instructional video". It's basically teaching you how to fly a real A10.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular

In this case the sacrifice multiple pilotable vehicles for an insane amount of detail in the one you can fly...

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look that was posted a few pages back - it's nuts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVi6rdPE4I

Really, when you think about it, apart from defying expectation, having only one pilotable vehicle isn't bad - most games have only one main character that you can control, and nobody minds that.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*Runs outside arms flailing*-WOOOOOoooOOOooooooooO!
    I have been waiting for this kind of thing forever! Now just give me the ability to do steam group chat on my phone.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »

MvcRg.jpg

What's the difference in new game+? I have most of the weapons already max upgraded, I'm at lvl7, and I only have 3 proving grounds left (which I'll beat before starting the final level). Besides seeing what we're talking about in the spoiler, I don't really see what I'd gain from it.

Playing it with all the idols active of course!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.