As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Boxes!

I don't really collect these, just have them. Though I bought that Final Fantasy 7 copy not that long ago, to replace the one I got rid of years ago. I also ordered a Dark Sun box, as I only have it on a loose disc. So I guess its growing.

boxes.png

As a note, I do miss the big boxes, but I never liked how they weren't standardized in size.

Ha, I remember how oddly shaped that FFVII box was. Didn't the front have a flap that opened on top?

I like how the Amiga boxes are largely standardizes. I'll take a picture later tonight, thye look sharp on a shelf.

Allforce wrote: »
    Sort of related, but do we have an arcade cabinet thread around here?

It's hard because so many arcade cabinets revolve around MAME nowadays and we have such a strict no emulator discussion policy that it seems those discussions always end up petering out quickly.

Last time I spoke to a mod about an arcade game with a PC inside, I got the OK to post provided A) I could prove that I owned the actual PCBs for the games I was showing, or B) I was showing the PC version of specific games. In the above topic's instance, I owned SF2 and was running the PC version of MK2 (although now I have the MK2 PCB).

There is so much more you can do with putting a PC into an arcade cabinet besides emulation. My cabinet, for example, has a steam client, with SF4 installed, and the cabinet itself is connected to the network, so it's a legit, online-enabled SFIV arcade machine.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular

Ha, I remember how oddly shaped that FFVII box was. Didn't the front have a flap that opened on top?

Yep, and the box opens to the side. Clearly the work of Bizarro Sephiroth.

1208768734831.jpg
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I didn't realize we had a retro game thread. I bought a NES in April and now I want to collect some decent games. So far I have Mario Bros 3, Dr.Mario, Air Fortress, Castlevania 2, Kung Fu Heroes, and Spy vs Spy.

Punch Out, Journey to Silius, TMNT 2, Dragon Warrior 1, Tetris, Faxanadu, and Little Nemo are on the way (as well as a second controller) and should arrive in 2-4 weeks since I got the free, slow shipping. I might be buying Base Wars, Golgo 13, Tiny Toons, and Smash TV from a guy this evening. My friend picked up a copy of Paperboy and Spy Hunter but I don't know if he intends to sell/give those to me or not.

The NES works great although I had to clean out my games with windex and a Q-tip. I've heard different things online about cleaning old games. Some say use rubbing alcohol, some say don't. Some say use windex, some say don't. Some say to buy a special screwdriver and cleaning kit and take apart the game and clean it properly, some say that's ridiculous (that's me).

I also have my N64 hooked up to my TV. I only own Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smash Bros, and Harvest Moon 64.

If you really want to shine your old carts, use this:

mothers1.jpg

it's a hand polisher. I only recommend this in extreme cases, because you're basically scraping a thin layer off the contact points, and it's easy to scrape off a contact entirely. But if you do use it, and use it correctly, the results are stunning:

Old:

mothers2.jpg

New:

mothers3.jpg

It looks brand new. This, even more than a new 72-pin connector, will drastically improve performance in a front-loading NES. Did you get a front loader or a top loader? I find myself using my top loader a lot more since I imported Super Turrican from Europe out of habit.

edited May 2012
    @Taya

I never got around to getting an NES, but I'd get Castlevania 1, Megaman, Megaman 2, Contra, and definitely Kirby.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    I got the front loader because it's cheaper but MOSTLY because that's the model I had when I was a kid. The top loader means nothing to me.

It already has the 72 pin connector replaced.

I own the Megaman anniversary collection for the GCN so I'll only get those games if I find them for cheap. I love Kirby's Adventure but I have the GBA remake and the 3DS port so it's low on my list.

Taya wrote: »
    I got the front loader because it's cheaper but MOSTLY because that's the model I had when I was a kid. The top loader means nothing to me.

Just a general tip for front loaders with a new 72-pin connector - the reason the connection wears out is because of the zero-force insertion mechanism. Pressing down on the cartridge and locking it into place creates a better connection, but it bends the pins out of whack over time. You don't actually need to press the cart down if your 72-pin connection is new. To prolong the life of your new NES frontloader, I'd advise against pressing the cart down at all.

The top loader is great for one reason - it lacks the 10NES lockout chip. This is what makes the NES do that thing where the light blinks on the front and you get a flashing red or yellow or black screen. The reason this happens is because there is a poor connection somewhere between the cart and the 72-pin connector - either because the 72-pin connection is bent or because the contacts on the cart have corroded - and the 10NES lockout chip can't verify the NES cart. So, as a default, it treats it like a pirate cart and stops you from booting it up.

You can actually remove the 10NES lockout chip - or rather, disable it - from a front loader, and it'll behave almost exactly like a top loader. Which means instead of having to fuck with your NES to get the game booted, it'll boot up every single time without fail. That's the most amazing thing about my Top-loader. I'm so conditioned to having to fight my NES to get it to boot the game that it always takes me back when the top loader works on the first time, every time.

I own the Megaman anniversary collection for the GCN so I'll only get those games if I find them for cheap. I love Kirby's Adventure but I have the GBA remake and the 3DS port so it's low on my list.

You need some sunsoft love. I suggest Blaster Master, Batman, and Batman: Revenge of the Joker to begin with.

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    91% (or higher if you can find it) isopropyl alcohol + name brand qtips (the cheap ones are bendy and don't work nearly as well) works fine for the majority of cart cleaning.

Some say to use electronics contact cleaner, I have some and its never worked for me as well as alcohol.

My extreme cleaner is ceramic glasstop oven cleaner. Like the stuff mentioned above you have to be very careful and gentle with it as you can strip the contacts down. I rarely need to use it but its worked 99% of the time. The only time it didn't I noticed that one of the capacitors somehow got disconnected on the pcb. You do have to open the cart case to use this well though, a set of good security bits costs like $10 shipped though.

This is where I got my last set from

http://www.newelectronx.com/

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Just a general tip for front loaders with a new 72-pin connector - the reason the connection wears out is because of the zero-force insertion mechanism. Pressing down on the cartridge and locking it into place creates a better connection, but it bends the pins out of whack over time. You don't actually need to press the cart down if your 72-pin connection is new. To prolong the life of your new NES frontloader, I'd advise against pressing the cart down at all.

I replaced my 72-pin connector back in 2006 and I've been clicking down carts ever since. Whoopsie.

In fact there's probably a cart in my system that's been in the "down" position for close to a year now.

Well, it was good to know you, connector.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to build a "modern" arcade cab that has a LCD and just would have like a 360 inside it to play fighting games and whatnot. There's a Virtua Fighter machine for sale nearby for a couple bills that I would gut and try to update but I'm sure that would be way more work than just building a cab from scratch
    Allforce wrote: »
    Sort of related, but do we have an arcade cabinet thread around here?

It's hard because so many arcade cabinets revolve around MAME nowadays and we have such a strict no emulator discussion policy that it seems those discussions always end up petering out quickly.

You can pick up a cab for real cheap especially if its gutted or dead. I picked up my cabinet for $25, for example. Fixing it up is part of the fun. You might want to make sure you know what you're getting too - if that's a VF2 machine, not a VF1, then it runs on a medium resolution monitor, which is great because it means you can play model 2 games. The downside is that not many other arcade boards use medium resolution monitors, so... no CPS2. No System 16, 24, 32. No Naomi. No Neo Goe. Etc.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not a purist so it's not that big a deal to me. Mostly I just want a retro LOOKING cabinet with modern equipment inside to play modern games (or old games on modern hardware ala XBLA stuff). Sort of how you mentioned playing SFIV via Steam on your cabinet.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of the NES and pins, I have a famicom and a very cheap 72-60 converter. It refuses to play some games; I think CV 3, in particular. Is that just an 'always' problem, or is there a better quality one I can pick up?

Tamin on
    edited May 2012
    Tamin wrote: »
    Speaking of the NES and pins, I have a famicom and a very cheap 72-60 converter. It refuses to play some games; I think CV 3, in particular. Is that just an 'always' problem, or is there a better quality one I can pick up?

It refuses to play CV3 because of the special MMC5 chip inside the cart. You need to modify your converter, or pull one out of a spare gyromite cart, to play it on a US NES.

Edit; the mod involves taking 2 famicom pins which aren't wired up, and wiring them to 2 pins on the NES side of the converter. These 2 pins worked sorta like the spare pins on an SNES which aren't on a game genie - i.e. they're only for special axillary chips.

this is the modification:

wiring.jpg

TheSonicRetard on
    Actually, a better picture, showing locations for resistors:

advancedaudiowiringnewversion6.jpg

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    @Allforce that's something I'd love to do if I ever get the room. I've seen busted arcade cabinets for like $50, replace the guts with a 360 and a monitor and presto, a SSFIV/UMVC3 machine.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Cool. I'll have to see about making that mod when I get some free time. Thanks

@Allforce that's something I'd love to do if I ever get the room. I've seen busted arcade cabinets for like $50, replace the guts with a 360 and a monitor and presto, a SSFIV/UMVC3 machine.

With the amount of arcade ports (TMNT, Simpsons, X-Men, Game Room) and arcade-like games (Scott Pilgrim, Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers) on XBLA I'd love to do the same myself.

FU7kFbw.png
    Anyone else got a subscription to RetroGamer? Best magazine ever. A subscription is so expensive - like $130 to get it delivered in the US - but it's so worth it. Not since I was a kid, waiting eagerly for my gamepros and swatpros in the mail have I looked forward this much to a magazine. It takes a great magazine to divert my attention away from reading an article online, but that magazine consistently can do it. It helps that I'm now familiar with the writers, having gone back and read the entire back-catalogue of Amiga Format and Amiga Power on Amibay.net in my spare time.

Anyone else got a subscription to RetroGamer? Best magazine ever. A subscription is so expensive - like $130 to get it delivered in the US - but it's so worth it. Not since I was a kid, waiting eagerly for my gamepros and swatpros in the mail have I looked forward this much to a magazine. It takes a great magazine to divert my attention away from reading an article online, but that magazine consistently can do it. It helps that I'm now familiar with the writers, having gone back and read the entire back-catalogue of Amiga Format and Amiga Power on Amibay.net in my spare time.

It's a great magazine and I fork up the $15 or so whenever I see an interesting cover story (Like the one on Sonic 2 last year) but it's too expensive to pickup on a regular basis.

FU7kFbw.png

It's a great magazine and I fork up the $15 or so whenever I see an interesting cover story (Like the one on Sonic 2 last year) but it's too expensive to pickup on a regular basis.

I spend way more than $15 a month on retro gaming and collecting in general, so I don't mind tossing another $15 for some print dedicated to it. Also, I have the complete G4 tv series Icons on my HTPC, along with every episode of AVGN, Screw Attack Game Vault, and Screw Attack top 10, and a few random episodes of Classic Game Room, and a good 500-ish Sega, Nintendo, Playstation, and other gaming commercials. I'll throw them all together in a big playlist and put it on random and it's like I have the best video game TV channel ever made. Beats the steaming hot shit out of G4, at least.

• ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    Haha, I remember that FFVII box. Several of the early Eidos published titles were in those crazy boxes.

@TheSonicRetard

Do these look like the cases you use? As far as I can tell they are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-pcs-Multi-8-Disc-CD-DVD-Black-Case-Movie-Game-Box-27mm-/250924251081?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item3a6c4037c9#ht_500wt_1180

Also, will a NES cart fit in their cleanly if you just remove the center divider? The ones I use you need to remove the spindle AND the part that holds the cd's in place from the outside edges.

camo_sig2.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For cleaning NES connector pins I actually read that you can boil them on your stove and then literally put them in the oven to dry. I thought people were messing with me, but I decided to actually try it and it actually plays my games better now. I don't know if I'm just lucky or it usually works, and I have no idea why it doesn't just melt, but it worked for me. Supposedly it's supposed to bend back the pins too, but I'm not sure about that.*

*I take no responsibility if you burn your house down trying this.

Also, I love steam and gog, but I really miss PC boxes. It's almost depressing seeing the PC games in Wal Mart now. It's usually just Blizzard games and the Sims now.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    Madpanda wrote: »
    @TheSonicRetard

Do these look like the cases you use? As far as I can tell they are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-pcs-Multi-8-Disc-CD-DVD-Black-Case-Movie-Game-Box-27mm-/250924251081?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item3a6c4037c9#ht_500wt_1180

Also, will a NES cart fit in their cleanly if you just remove the center divider? The ones I use you need to remove the spindle AND the part that holds the cd's in place from the outside edges.

Yup, those are the ones I use. And yes, an NES game will fit fine when you remove the middle pages.

edited May 2012
    You can kind of tell what the high point of PC gaming was, to me, from that. I just noticed that about 75% of those boxes are from '96-98. I also have a good number of new PC boxes.

Thing is, I do get rid of games I'll never play again, if there's no compelling reason to keep them. So, I wouldn't get rid of Shaq Fu for SNES, or even Maximum Carnage for SNES. Or any cart based game, no matter how bad it is. But I'd get rid of a bunch of PC games from ~2004, because I won't play them and they'll never have any value, monetary or sentimental. So I actually have more of the old boxes, I believe.

Some of the new boxes aren't bad, though. I like how they are plastic cases. I just miss huge folding boxes with all that artwork/screenshots.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Well, this thread is kind of handy for me right now. I know this isn't that retro but 10 years seems to be long enough to count if you ask me. anyways i have a friend of mine who is looking for a used Steel Battalion from the xbox from 2002. He is aware of amazon and ebay but everyone is asking for 250 bucks plus for used and controller, and if its NiB were talking Texas dollars here. I would be interested in tracking him down a used copy for the cheap.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

I prefer the early to mid 90's of PC gaming compared to the mid to late 90's. For me, the golden age was when stuff like Raptor, One Must Fall, Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, Epic Pinball, dare to dream, etc. was being released.

I played sooo much one must fall with friends. Usually one person on keyboard one on gravis gamepad (aka the best pc gamepad to exist)..

camo_sig2.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I prefer the early to mid 90's of PC gaming compared to the mid to late 90's. For me, the golden age was when stuff like Raptor, One Must Fall, Jazz Jackrabbit, Jill of the Jungle, Epic Pinball, dare to dream, etc. was being released.

Those games are nice, and I particularly like Raptor... And, of course, you can name whatever period you like as your favorite... but calling that time the GOLDEN AGE is kinda stretching and diluting the meaning of the term "golden age" a bit. None of them were even very influential... all dead end genres in PC gaming. Scrolling shooter, fighter, 2D platformer, so on. I wouldn't call some time i particularly enjoyed a Golden Age of anything unless I knew it had a lasting impact in its context that goes beyond my enjoyment.

If only you mentioned some of the actually relevant and influential games of the early 90's, like the later Ultimas, Wing Commander series (it made sound cards a required part of any pc), Civilization 1, Sim City, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom. Those games are important to gaming regardless of one's personal taste.

I personally really love the entire decade. It has helped shape and mature a good deal of what we can play today, regardless of PC or console.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2012

Those games are nice, and I particularly like Raptor... And, of course, you can name whatever period yo
    u like as your favorite... but calling that time the GOLDEN AGE is kinda stretching and diluting the meaning of the term "golden age" a bit. None of them were even very influential... all dead end genres in PC gaming. Scrolling shooter, fighter, 2D platformer, so on. I wouldn't call some time i particularly enjoyed a Golden Age of anything unless I knew it had a lasting impact in its context that goes beyond my enjoyment.

If only you mentioned some of the actually relevant and influential games of the early 90's, like the later Ultimas, Wing Commander series (it made sound cards a required part of any pc), Civilization 1, Sim City, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom. Those games are important to gaming regardless of one's personal taste.

I personally really love the entire decade. It has helped shape and mature a good deal of what we can play today, regardless of PC or console.

No lasting effects? Methinks you don't know who made the games I listed. Epic Pinball? Without that game, there would be no unreal. Dare to Dream? Cliffy B's first game. It got him into the business. Jazz Jackrabbit would be the game that made him a household name to PC gamers. Those games built epic.

TheSonicRetard on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I know those facts, but the games, in themselves, were not important. They were leverage for Epic and Blezinsky so that they could make the actual relevant games. And, honestly, you're going to tell me that Jazz Jackrabbit is more influential than Wolfenstein 3D? Seriously? That's even funnier when you consider that Unreal and all other Epic shooters are a direct consequence of id software's work on those years. Aside from making a bit of cash and making a bit of name for them, Jazz has not legacy in the gaming side of Unreal. The games I mentioned are the founding stones of what we play today. Many companies made kinda successful shareware games those days, like Epic, and none are here now. But Ultima is where all the JRPGs were born (granted, the 80's ultimas, not the 90's). Sim City spawned the Sims... Civilization is one of the most lauded games ever made, and it made a LOT of kids become game developers. I don't even think Epic is so important, aside from the Unreal Engine being used so much. Ok, the engine is important, but it's a tool, in the end, just like Havoc or Gamespy multiplayer background stuff.

Jordan Mechner, for example, is a billion times more important to gaming than "Cliffy B". Maybe not the BUSINESS of gaming, but the creation of games. So is Sid Meier, Warren Spector, Chris Roberts, and even Lord British.

Picasso spent a long time making "normal" paintings that already showed his amazing skill, up to and including the pink and blue phases. Without those, his later works wouldn't exist, probably. But it's Guernica that's considered immortal and powerfully influential. It's his cubism and later phases that matter.

Anyway, I still firmly assert that all those games I mentioned previously are far more relevant to gaming as a craft than what Epic did.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

I have no idea what the average price of a boxed GB Pocket is today - but that one is super nice looking and I've always loved the Pocket. I had a silver one and the combination of that and Donkey Kong and loved it - so much better than the original GB. Are you looking specifically for a boxed one because I would think you could find one without a box and a bunch of games as a lot somewhere?

Epic Games is an odd duck - I loved their early stuff - Jazz, Raptor, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, and One Must Fall but once they went all FPS games I pretty much lost interest. When I had a 360 I bought Gears 1 & 2 but never got more than an hour or so into each before losing interest for something less drab and with more interesting characters. Epic Pinball I think remains the lone piece of shareware I actually paid to upgrade to the full version.

The copy of Tiny Toons that I bought yesterday does not work no matter what I do.

This game is important because it's the very first video game that I ever finished.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Here goes - What exactly would you play on it? There are dozens of better versions of Tetris these days. The two other best Game Boy games, Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong GB, are both available on the 3DS. I guess you could play Final Fantasy Adventure (a personal favorite), Final Fantasy Legend 1-3, Wario Land, or any personal favorites you might have but they're probably not worth buying a system for these days.

RainbowDespair on

I have no idea what the average price of a boxed GB Pocket is today - but that one is super nice looking and I've always loved the Pocket. I had a silver one and the combination of that and Donkey Kong and loved it - so much better than the original GB. Are you looking specifically for a boxed one because I would think you could find one without a box and a bunch of games as a lot somewhere?

Epic Games is an odd duck - I loved their early stuff - Jazz, Raptor, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, and One Must Fall but once they went all FPS games I pretty much lost interest. When I had a 360 I bought Gears 1 & 2 but never got more than an hour or so into each before losing interest for something less drab and with more interesting characters. Epic Pinball I think remains the lone piece of shareware I actually paid to upgrade to the full version.

I never had a Game Boy as a child (Was a Game Gear kid until the GBA hit the scene) and I just kinda want one. The fact that it's near-mint is nice because I don't have to deal with it being funkified in any way.

I bought a brick game boy a few years back because I never owned one and I wanted one...it's got the SNES-style discoloring and the screen has it's fair share of scratches. I don't use it, to be honest, and I kinda regret buying it.

FU7kFbw.png