As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »
    The only thing better than one fractal is two fractals.

Seriously, I've ran a train on the enemy gen room as a solo Brute. Most of the time I have a spare fractal to lay down to keep the enemy away and give myself a chance to regen health/energy.

Fractal grenades are total bullshit. If one goes off and you are anywhere in the area in the duration it's going off, you will die. They are exponentially more powerful than any other grenade in the game.

You know what else is BS about fractal grenades?

When I throw one, and only 2 people get hit (and don't die) out of a bunch that run through it.

• DevilGuyDevilGuy Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

Seriously, I've ran a train on the enemy gen room as a solo Brute. Most of the time I have a spare fractal to lay down to keep the enemy away and give myself a chance to regen health/energy.

Fractal grenades are total bullshit. If one goes off and you are anywhere in the area in the duration it's going off, you will die. They are exponentially more powerful than any other grenade in the game.

When I throw one, and only 2 people get hit (and don't die) out of a bunch that run through it.

They're honestly more about area fear/denial than actual effectiveness. you throw one down in a corridor as you're retreating or trying to defend, theoretically this forces the other guy to hold back so you can setup whatever you were planning like killing/defending the gen or giving more time for backup to arrive. Unfortunately in pubs people just run through them like lemmings.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    DevilGuy wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »

They're honestly more about area fear/denial than actual effectiveness. you throw one down in a corridor as you're retreating or trying to defend, theoretically this forces the other guy to hold back so you can setup whatever you were planning like killing/defending the gen or giving more time for backup to arrive. Unfortunately in pubs people just run through them like lemmings.

Yeah, I was mostly just refuting the "If I'm anywhere near a fractal grenade I die" sentiment.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I just bought the Brute class tonight, so now they're all unlocked.

Wish I'd unlocked it earlier... got my first blue plate. Then my second. And my third. On the same map. :lol: No idea what it is about the heavy spinfusor, but I loves it.

Also, fractal grenades are a beast indoors, as I've noticed being on the receiving end of them. As I see it, the Brute is a sort of raider/infiltrator, but fat, and less about blowing up the generator as he is "I'm going to go inside your base near your generator and take up your time for a little while so the rest of the team can do their jobs."

.. am I doing it right? ;-)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Good match, Tybi.

Also, why is Tybi the only one I've ever seen online, and is that connected to my inability to see the server?

Also also, dodged three separate orbital bombardments as flag carrier in a 4-4 game in overtime. That was excellent.

• Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Good match, Tybi.

Also, why is Tybi the only one I've ever seen online, and is that connected to my inability to see the server?

Also also, dodged three separate orbital bombardments as flag carrier in a 4-4 game in overtime. That was excellent.

I was wondering about that server thing myself. I lost the ability to see it a few days ago (not that I saw anyone on it before that)

camo_sig2.png
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Good match, Tybi.

I haven't seen anyone online in days... figured they just were done playing for now.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've been on. I don't expect to see a drop in my playtime until D3 hits.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Very nice. Mouse feels noticeably better. 8-)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    I can't see the PA server :(

anyone else having this problem?

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Did certainly seem a bit less janky when I tried tonight after doing the tweak. I'll have to test it out in server play tomorrow, since I've been feeling a weird speed of mousing issue lately. Can't tell if it's because I moved my apartment or if I'm getting *just* skilled enough at finishing in the top 5 all the time that I'm starting to notice all the imperfections in my motions. Goddamn game, swear I'm doing more training and watching more "how to cap, defend" etc videos than I am playing Tribes itself.

So difficult to get certain map's flag routes down to a science.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
    As you are getting better you might be noticing the little things that can mess with your aim. Like have you fully disabled mouse acceleration in windows, done the whole Reg edit thing?

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    You know, I never did consider what "mouse acceleration" actually meant until I turned it off and tested it out. How bizarre.

Thanks for the tip, might just be able to nitron boost without pausing as I ski backwards now.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Has anyone tested out the hitboxes on a live server vs. the target practice map with SMGs and Rifles. I was playing around with the mouse settings and noticed it was really easy to score hits, waaaay easier than it feels in multiplayer. I always assumed it was the lag, but now I'm wondering if the target practice map is using different gun mechanics altogether.

Even when I aimed away from the models, my shots would hit with a pretty generous margin for error. Ironically, the spinfusor will totally clip through a player model without hitting; you have to get the center of the disc inside someone before it will explode.

• SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

omfg... and here I was thinking I'm becoming too old and decrepit to have good aim; apparently not

On the downside, this makes auto weapons completely absurd. I just put down three mediums with a single lmg clip.

• SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    that ini totally helps...i was definitely feeling something wrong with the mouse control in this game, but chalked it up to poor graphics optimization.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to get home and try out that ini tweak in hopes of finding out that my aim really isn't terrible, it was a poor control scheme all this time.

I will most likely discover my aim really is that terrible.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've little hope it makes much of a difference with me, but no matter, the game is still fun even when terrible. How else do you explain so many of its players?

Glal on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Tried out that Ini tweak. It does make a difference! The mouse is where I want it, when I want it. I've just gotten a touch used to the floaty mouse, but that should be easy to unlearn.

Damn that UE3 engine, and their need to consolize every damn thing

steam_sig.png
    From the sound of it it's a performance tweak, not a console tweak.

edited May 2012
    It seems to be a performance tweak aimed at consoles though. They need the performance and players don't notice the difference in input with the gamepad controls.

Conversely on the PC the difference is noticeable and we don't need the performance.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Enig wrote: »
    Conversely on the PC the difference is noticeable and we don't need the performance.
    Not everyone has an expensive gaming rig and T:A is hardly the most demanding game using UT3. I'm extremely skeptical most PC people can run modern games at +60fps and as such have frames to spare.

edited May 2012
    That's not a good reason to screw with the controls. On PCs people can turn their graphics down. At the very least it should be in the game settings so that people can make a choice.

Well, I think I will be cutting down on my Tribes play if they don't fix teams. I'm sick of stacks causing unbalanced games. It doesn't matter how well I play. I can only delay the inevitable if I'm up against a stack. Being on the stacked team is no less dull.

The large majority of games I've played in the last few days have been stacked with a bunch of people doing who-knows-what while the real game happens between 4 skilled players on one team versus 2 skilled players on the other. It is just not fun and I really don't see why HiRez can't just make teams random (or better, do proper matchmaking) on pub servers.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Enig wrote: »
    That's not a good reason to screw with the controls. On PCs people can turn their graphics down. At the very least it should be in the game settings so that people can make a choice.
    That's a developer choice, not an engine choice. And since T:A doesn't exist for the consoles I fail to see how it's consolization.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've been crushing on people with the DMB lately. This new generation of Tribes players don't know how to handle serious HoF. They keep flying into me ALL GAME.

1. Take a little step back from the flag as a PTH comes zooming it.
    2. Collect dem points from the kill (as he splats all over my Super Heavy), the defend and the flag return.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    edited May 2012
    I finally spent some XP and unlocked all the toys on my Juggernaut last night and, yeah, its pretty ridiculous. The X1 / Disc combo pretty much makes you into an offensive Doombringer with a spinfusor, plus mortar grenades. With Quick Draw you can keep shooting people in the air until you're ready to disc their landing spot and finish them off.

If you like playing heavy O, I'd say there is no reason to unlock the Brute.

nonoffensive on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I've been crushing on people with the DMB lately. This new generation of Tribes players don't know how to handle serious HoF. They keep flying into me ALL GAME.

1. Take a little step back from the flag as a PTH comes zooming it.
    2. Collect dem points from the kill (as he splats all over my Super Heavy), the defend and the flag return.

sounds like some terribad pathfinders, I guess they are a popular choice since they keep telling everyone to "go fast" but flag capping and chasing should really be left to those who either have a natural affinity to it, or practice the runs constantly.

also as long as your team is not terrible (they probably are) I enjoy shooting the flag into a corner or into a place that ruins all capping attempts, but you gotta watch out for idiot team members who just go and return the flag for POINTZ!!!!!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    I too am getting a tired of playing in stomps, in either direction. Even if they don't get us proper matchmaking soon they need to segregate the playerbase better. A bracket for 1-6 and then a bracket for everyone else isn't enough. Even a 1-6, 6-24, 24+ set up would do wonders. Close games are far too rare these days.

Also, a blind pick matchmaking system where you're not allowed to pick a team. It's zero fun to be had when there's a team pubstomping.

• theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    Has anyone tested out the hitboxes on a live server vs. the target practice map with SMGs and Rifles. I was playing around with the mouse settings and noticed it was really easy to score hits, waaaay easier than it feels in multiplayer. I always assumed it was the lag, but now I'm wondering if the target practice map is using different gun mechanics altogether.

Even when I aimed away from the models, my shots would hit with a pretty generous margin for error. Ironically, the spinfusor will totally clip through a player model without hitting; you have to get the center of the disc inside someone before it will explode.

I think I've noticed that about SMG & rifles as well. I was trying out classes as I was unlocking them and found it really easy to hit bots, especially with the fast firing smg. Live I have way more trouble with SMGs than I do with rifles. I know players move much faster than those bots, but the difference feels drastic.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Also, a blind pick matchmaking system where you're not allowed to pick a team. It's zero fun to be had when there's a team pubstomping.

SO MUCH THIS.

Don't let individuals pick a team. Otherwise, it'll get stacked almost every time.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    I finally spent some XP and unlocked all the toys on my Juggernaut last night and, yeah, its pretty ridiculous. The X1 / Disc combo pretty much makes you into an offensive Doombringer with a spinfusor, plus mortar grenades. With Quick Draw you can keep shooting people in the air until you're ready to disc their landing spot and finish them off.

If you like playing heavy O, I'd say there is no reason to unlock the Brute.

Fractal grenades would like to have a word with you. Even if I die, I will enter the generator room and take 2-3 people with me thanks to dropping 3 fractals.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I get way more blue plates with the heavy spinfusor than any of the others.

SO MUCH THIS.

Don't let individuals pick a team. Otherwise, it'll get stacked almost every time.

I would agree to this only when groups are implemented. It's already a pain in the ass joining you folks when I want to play with PA people.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    theantipop wrote: »

I think I've noticed that about SMG & rifles as well. I was trying out classes as I was unlocking them and found it really easy to hit bots, especially with the fast firing smg. Live I have way more trouble with SMGs than I do with rifles. I know players move much faster than those bots, but the difference feels drastic.

I would wager it has to do with network issues. Against players you have network latency; on the practice range you're 100% local.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kupi wrote: »
    theantipop wrote: »

I would wager it has to do with network issues. Against players you have network latency; on the practice range you're 100% local.

Anyone wanna try this out with me on the PA server? We'll stand still and take some shots at each other. I'm curious to see if it really is the same as Target Practice.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    What perks do you guys use for playing juggernauts? I haven't unlocked any on mine yet, but I was kinda eyeballing the one that converts aoe damage into power

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Shadowfire wrote: »

SO MUCH THIS.

I would agree to this only when groups are implemented. It's already a pain in the ass joining you folks when I want to play with PA people.

I would rather deal with not always being on the same team as friends than continue to put up with these ridiculous matches. Plus there is always the PA custom server.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    What perks do you guys use for playing juggernauts? I haven't unlocked any on mine yet, but I was kinda eyeballing the one that converts aoe damage into power

Potential energy is a pretty important perk to have. It is pretty useful across every class.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, have the servers been acting all weird for anyone else? On the aus servers, we seemed to have group lag a couple of times a match, and seemed to crash every second one or so. It got a bit better, but still, it was pretty horendous.

Also, doombringer is pretty great. I am a fan. Also, I've been learning routes so that I can put shields and mines (not both at the same time, unfortunately), on all the bits just before people nitro boost. It's sort of working.