As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the close future, there is only war, and spilling drinks on the Citadel.[Mass Effect]

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Unless it results in me not getting a Valiant, it's not an event.

As for the last...well, everyone's been hit by that, and a lot were hit by the one before due to some douchebags cheating the system.

I don't give a shit about Victory packs.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    My latest victory pack was a free jumbo equipment pack

Don't look gift horses in the mouth

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Your initial reaction was fanfiction and then you made a comparison to BttF2. I'm still not sure where that movie fits into the 'ludicrous' part beyond being futuristic.

0:40

video

i've already gotten past the part of the game shown in the video, but isn't that a fairly huge ME3 spoiler? the youtube thumbnail alone is pretty bad.

@fightinfilipino I think most of us have made it past that point, and there isn't anything excessively spoilery in that video.

Still, I see your point, and better safe than sorry, so I'll spoiler it.

Sorry about that.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    priority: rannoch
    the whole reaper code means becoming "I" thing is kinda slimy

like apart from the whole reaper code thing

legion was constituted of a thousand different entities that all demonstrated sufficient individual agency that they could argue for different actions and attempt to reach consensus

and then they all melt into one personality?

how many geth programs does it take to distill down into one "self"?

also
    they had a thousand "selves" already

maybe it was meant to be tragic?

well that's not quite a thing because the whole geth not being sapient until they're hanging around with bunches of other geth thing

they don't really have "selves" in the sense that we do, because if you isolate a geth program it's like a .gif of a guy getting a football in the groin or whatever and not an independent intelligence

but groups of geth can all individually think just like people
    and apparently all along every geth wanted to discard everything that made them geth and become just like everybody else?

the more I think about this reaper code thing the more it seems massively out of character for everything for basically no real reason other than to be a contrivance to further justify killing all geth and add some element of controversy to the peace option

This bothered the hell out of me, too

Moreover: The whole point of the Dyson Sphere was to allow the Geth to "end our isolation from each other." It was pretty much the end goal towards which their entire civilization had been working. And then
    they choose to become individuals instead?

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

legion was constituted of a thousand different entities that all demonstrated sufficient individual agency that they could argue for different actions and attempt to reach consensus

also

well that's not quite a thing because the whole geth not being sapient until they're hanging around with bunches of other geth thing

they don't really have "selves" in the sense that we do, because if you isolate a geth program it's like a .gif of a guy getting a football in the groin or whatever and not an independent intelligence

and apparently all along every geth wanted to discard everything that made them geth and become just like everybody else?

the more I think about this reaper code thing the more it seems massively out of character for everything for basically no real reason other than to be a contrivance to further justify killing all geth and add some element of controversy to the peace option

Moreover: The whole point of the Dyson Sphere was to allow the Geth to "end our isolation from each other." It was pretty much the end goal towards which their entire civilization had been working. And then
    The thing is that the geth weren't individuals up until that point; they were basically one big collective consciousness, split across multiple physical platforms, which compromised their individual intelligence.

I'm assuming that for them, becoming individuals was another way to go about retaining sapience, and a method that they found as viable as the Dyson Sphere. Maybe they even preferred it; after all, the quarians annihilated a couple billion individual programs at least when they blew the sphere to bits. Maybe they saw individuality as a way to guarantee their survival, without compromising their intelligence.

As far as the whole "Collective Consciousness Becoming Individual Sapience" thing goes, I'm assuming the Reaper upgrades either caused individual programs to evolve into sapient beings, or it consolidated multiple programs to create one sapient individual capable of operating independently of other geth. It basically turned every geth into a version of Legion, at least on a physical level.

[IMG][/img]
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

also

The thing is that the geth weren't individuals up until that point; they were basically one big collective consciousness, split across multiple physical platforms, which compromised their individual intelligence.

I'm assuming that for them, becoming individuals was another way to go about retaining sapience, and a method that they found as viable as the Dyson Sphere. Maybe they even preferred it; after all, the quarians annihilated a couple billion individual programs at least when they blew the sphere to bits. Maybe they saw individuality as a way to guarantee their survival, without compromising their intelligence.

As far as the whole "Collective Consciousness Becoming Individual Sapience" thing goes, I'm assuming the Reaper upgrades either caused individual programs to evolve into sapient beings, or it consolidated multiple programs to create one sapient individual capable of operating independently of other geth. It basically turned every geth into a version of Legion, at least on a physical level.
    and making each program a true AI doesn't prevent them from networking together like they used to

it just means their collective consciousness will be even smarter

PNk1Ml4.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Your initial reaction was fanfiction and then you made a comparison to BttF2. I'm still not sure where that movie fits into the 'ludicrous' part beyond being futuristic.

0:40

video

i've already gotten past the part of the game shown in the video, but isn't that a fairly huge ME3 spoiler? the youtube thumbnail alone is pretty bad.

@fightinfilipino I think most of us have made it past that point, and there isn't anything excessively spoilery in that video.

Still, I see your point, and better safe than sorry, so I'll spoiler it.

Sorry about that.

no biggie. i've just gotten around to putting some actual time in the SP, so i'm a bit sensitive to possible spoilers. i'm sure there are a few folks out there in the same boat.

and i've played through some pretty awesome moments already where i was extremely glad i hadn't seen spoilers accidentally.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    -Tal wrote: »

also

and making each program a true AI doesn't prevent them from networking together like they used to

it just means their collective consciousness will be even smarter

That's the assumption I was working on to reconcile it with my previous understanding of the Geth. It really isn't explained very well, though.

Also, speaking from a meta-perspective
    certain ancient sages once said that the guy who wrote Legion in Me2 didn't work on Me3, so I guess that also explains inconsistencies in his characterization.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ooo, I wonder if the next DLC will include Reaperfied vorcha enemies too...

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    it will actually feature vorchafied reaper enemies

0BnD8l3.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So, anyone else not get their victory/commendation pack after the weekend?

Or was that "complete one extraction on gold" just a silly rumor?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL OF THESE FANS

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So, anyone else not get their victory/commendation pack after the weekend?

Or was that "complete one extraction on gold" just a silly rumor?

They're "working on it"

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the worst part about these events is the inevitable "where is my reward" kvetching that generally starts sometime saturday evening

cool. your. jets.

Elendil wrote: »
    the worst part about these events is the inevitable "where is my reward" kvetching that generally starts sometime saturday evening

cool. your. jets.

not sure why Bioware even bothers to make promises like this if they can't deliver.

rule 1 of customer service: don't make promises you can't keep.

ffNewSig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of glad they attached the multiplayer to ME3.

I'm ok with these sorts of teething problems given that it's a new system.

I'd be right pissed if ME3 was multiplayer only.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it's one day late! one!

surely waiting a little longer for your eagle II can't be that onerous

do the rules of customer service say anything about unfair expectations for things provided entirely for free

0BnD8l3.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    it's one day late! one!

surely waiting a little longer for your eagle II can't be that onerous

I waited two weeks to get my Commendation Pack from the previous operation (the one where they found out about the pack exploit).

It was annoying, but it's just one fake weapon.

I can deal.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited May 2012
    it will actually feature vorchafied reaper enemies

I love the idea of an organic race just too stubborn and belligerant and prolific to get Reaped. The usual few hundred years of destruction gets prolonged by millenia, Reapers flying around pulling their tentacles out in frustration because even a smear of Vorcha left in a smoking crater will result in thousands of the fuckers in a few decades. Vorcha themselves barely notice a difference in their day-to-day.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    It's only the first time this has happened, relax

The-Social-Network.jpg

The network must stay up at all times!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited May 2012
    do the rules of customer service say anything about unfair expectations for things provided entirely for free

to be clear, i'm not upset about this. more like shaking my head at the whole mess. i've already voiced my opinion on this and won't rehash. suffice it to say, i've just come to accept this as regular practice from Bioware, and this is going to be the last Bioware game i buy for a long time.

but, well, even when something is free, it's a matter of managing customer expectations and all that.

an example: PA does a great job of serving up free .jpegs three times a week. when there are delays or late comics, Khoo and company have done a great job in letting people know that, hey, Mike and Jerry are human beings, too, and delays happen. at the same time, they've done a great job letting people know that they're working hard to stick to a schedule. good communication + honesty = loyal fans.

i'll agree that it's pretty unreasonable for folks to hulk rage at Bioware/EA for not getting free stuff. but Bioware and EA aren't exactly doing themselves any favors by building up fan expectations and spectacularly failing to meet them. same thing with the ME3 ending crap and the Shep face import problems. businesses have "goodwill" as a part of their assets, and nowadays you can actually assign a monetary value to that goodwill. like any asset, goodwill can be expended as an investment or as a waste.

right now, Bioware/EA is taking a lot of goodwill and setting it on fire.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    the kind of people who would consider this to significantly compromise their goodwill towards bioware likely had little to offer in the first place and would cast it aside at the earliest opportunity

0BnD8l3.gif
    edited May 2012
    since when do minor bonuses being one day late equal "spectacularly failing to meet fan expectations"?

Nerdgasmic on
    Preorder cancelled

Dude don't be silly, the commendation packs are a way of keeping fan interest up in the multiplayer, which means more people spending bioware bucks on packs, and more people buying MP DLC when it eventually comes out. They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, and I wouldn't expect them to.

But currently I've owned ME3 for about 4 days, and 2 of those days I've been unable to connect to the MP servers, and I've had a ridiculous number of packs fail to purchase. AND all the gameplay bugs that made the demo feel like playing a beta are still floating around. While I'd love to think Bioware's working on fixing those bugs, most of their efforts feel like they're just creating new ones.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited May 2012
    (it's not that I care that the commendation packs are late, it's that I can't even play the damn multiplayer)

Kana on
    I have had the game since it came out almost two months ago and I have been unable to play the multiplayer for only two days

since when do minor bonuses being one day late equal "spectacularly failing to meet fan expectations"?

if they're doing it regularly, then possibly. seems that's what happened with the previous two MP events?

add that to the other things (re: ending snafu, face import, Origin-exclusivity).

@Dichotomy : it's less about not getting free stuff and more about promising things they can't possibly give. all of the butthurt and anger could be easily mitigated by simply not making it a repeated practice of making promises and then breaking them.

there's a reason companies like Blizzard and Valve don't release their games "until they're done." they test extensively. they tweak and polish. they're very careful about what they can and cannot deliver and what they tell the public about what they can and cannot deliver. like i said, managing customer expectations.

ffNewSig.png
    the previous two multiplayer events worked fine

Man I'm pretty sure Valve is notorious for giving out release dates they clearly don't give a fuck about meeting

companies like blizzard and valve don't release games "until they're done" because they have tons of cash and can afford to do so

Hobnail wrote: »
    Man I'm pretty sure Valve is notorious for giving out release dates they clearly don't give a fuck about meeting

valve promised to shortly release paid DLC to the xbox live marketplace that would bring three campaigns from Left 4 Dead and one new community campaign to Left 4 Dead 2
    I was eager to buy that DLC

that promise was last summer, and since then that DLC has remained "coming soon"

0BnD8l3.gif
    Like goddamn Valve is a terrible example of a company that does not give their fans false expectations

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    both packs are garbage anyway so i ain't even frettin

EzUAYcn.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah but Valve, like bioware, produces excellent products so I dont even care if they get the dates wrong

I just shake my head and go "oh you!"

Isn't a big problem with the multiplayer the fact that they made it so people could edit their ini files and just fuck up the entire system

2x39jD4.jpg
    companies like blizzard and valve don't release games "until they're done" because they have tons of cash and can afford to do so

and EA doesn't? gaming megacorp? bought both Popcap and Bioware out?

besides, having huge bankrolls and managing expectations are not mutually exclusive. i'm not sure what your point is, honestly. i'm saying that Bioware/EA need to do a better job of managing expectations and not promising the moon.
    Hobnail wrote: »

well, yes, but Valve has somehow convinced the majority of people that that's just normal, and that the end product is worth it. it's just another way of managing expectations :P

ffNewSig.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    wait

doesn't Valve usually just not give a release date until they're fairly certain they're going to hit it (like a few months before)?

at least on major stuff

I know that Valve Time is well-documented but that's mostly for small stuff

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Also, how are they breaking their promise if they didn't even specify a date/time that a reward was going to be given out?

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.