As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Anyhow, I would argue that those who don't participate in this forum don't get the "full PAX experience" since they miss out on all the fun pre and post pax community activities.
    Keep in mind that *this* community isn't the *only* community at PAX. Many gaming clans and communities meetup at PAX, each having their own community pre/post PAX activities. The general point is, PAX with friends is better than PAX alone.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    There are many many different PAX experiences for everyone. :) Each one of these is awesome.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anyhow, I would argue that those who don't participate in this forum don't get the "full PAX experience" since they miss out on all the fun pre and post pax community activities.
    Keep in mind that *this* community isn't the *only* community at PAX. Many gaming clans and communities meetup at PAX, each having their own community pre/post PAX activities. The general point is, PAX with friends is better than PAX alone.

indeed.

• RGC MeltdonRGC Meltdon Registered User new member
    About the age requites, if i am 17 years of age wouldn't i be able to play these games/try demo since on most games on the case it says 17+ doesnt that enable me to play these "rated M games"?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    About the age requites, if i am 17 years of age wouldn't i be able to play these games/try demo since on most games on the case it says 17+ doesnt that enable me to play these "rated M games"?

If you are 17 or older you'll be fine.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ONI_AssassinONI_Assassin Northwood, Middlesex, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Ok, so i have a couple of really tough questions, as a PAX noob/first timer/insert other phrase here, i would like to get a pay as you go sim for my phone. Primarily fo data use (checking out the forums, twitter etc) and an occasional sms, can anyone suggest a good provider/deal and where in seattle i can go to get it?

Im staying just a block away from the convention centre and i land on Wednesday night at 11:20pm, can anyone suggest the best way to get down to the convention centre at that time of night, or is best just to get a cab to the hotel and if so any rough estimates on cost?

Many thanks to any and all reponses

PAX Prime 2012 Status: [X] 3-Day Passes [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [ ] Waiting Patiently

Game forever

"Those who are truly brave will never live in fear!"
    "We are all greater than we know, if only we can be brought to realise this"
    "Fatigue dominates the lives of those who are living without direction and dreams"
  • masanbolmasanbol Registered User new member
    Ok, so i have a couple of really tough questions, as a PAX noob/first timer/insert other phrase here, i would like to get a pay as you go sim for my phone. Primarily fo data use (checking out the forums, twitter etc) and an occasional sms, can anyone suggest a good provider/deal and where in seattle i can go to get it?

Im staying just a block away from the convention centre and i land on Wednesday night at 11:20pm, can anyone suggest the best way to get down to the convention centre at that time of night, or is best just to get a cab to the hotel and if so any rough estimates on cost?

In my past experience, 3G or cellular reception inside the convention hall is spotty to the point of being unusable. I had some decent success with a 4G wifi hotspot, but even that was pretty bad is some areas. Outside in Seattle proper everything seems to work just fine, however.

If you are landing that late you may want to take a cab. Going to/from SEATAC during the day is really cheap and easy on the light rail, but the trains stop running around 1AM. Here's the schedule: http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rail.xml

Cabs to downtown from SEATAC are about $40-50.

• TwinDadTwinDad Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    Depending on the hotel some of them offer a airport shuttle. Call or email the hotel and see if they can arrange a pickup.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    TwinDad wrote: »
    Depending on the hotel some of them offer a airport shuttle. Call or email the hotel and see if they can arrange a pickup.

Also once the "Westward Aviation" thread goes up, I'm sure you could at least coordinate sharing cabs from there (or beg Seattle Forumers for rides? ;) )

• thefall3nkingthefall3nking Registered User new member
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Should I Bring my Children to PAX?

I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?

It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings, even if your parents are present. Be aware that some exhibitors may ask you for your ID.
    It should also be noted that there is no way for a minor's guardian to allow the minor to play/view M-Rated content without the guardian physically present for the content; there is no "permission form" or similar thing available. Also, some exhibitors might still not allow minors to view their M-Rated content with the guardian present.

Last year I was really concerned about this because I was only 17, turns out, most people will let you by if you are 17. Technically the age isn't 18 or older, but 17 or older. It took me a day to figure this out, and missed out on several events I wanted to go to because of it. I figured it out when I saw a sign at the GoW3 booth saying only those 17 and up could play. I asked around, and was quickly told that yes, it's 17 or older.

Another concern about being 18 or older is for anyone who happens to be a fan of Machinima or any other video making entity. They need you to sign a form if you want to be in a video with them, and if you aren't 18, you have to have a parent sign. I got invited to join a video, and spent about half an hour hunting my father down. The people at Machinima were really helpful and willing to wait, but you need to be aware of that.

Even if you aren't 18, PAX is awesome, and you should go. Those M-rated games aren't everything, and you will find plenty to do there. Even if it is a Mario-Kart tournament ;)

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    Oh there is one thing I really need to know for PAX East 2013.

I heard from some people at PAX East 2012 that the Convention Center is going to add a hotel at the third floor (or if there adding another floor. IDK) for PAX East 2013. So then we can just wake up and go down stairs.

Is this little detail true at all? Or were they just pulling my leg. :(

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jove wrote: »

I heard from some people at PAX East 2012 that the Convention Center is going to add a hotel at the third floor (or if there adding another floor. IDK) for PAX East 2013. So then we can just wake up and go down stairs.

Its true. They are adding another hotel but I don't know if it will be done by East 2013. Check out the BCEC's website about the renovation plans. There is a whole video.

Edit: I found the link with the video: t5boston.com/

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • JoveJove Registered User regular

Its true. They are adding another hotel but I don't know if it will be done by East 2013. Check out the BCEC's website about the renovation plans. There is a whole video.

Oh wow. This is great news. Hopefully it does finish by the time East 2013 comes around. So how will that work then in terms of Hotel registration? Will it just be added in the list of hotels in the pax east site?

edited May 2012

Oh wow. This is great news. Hopefully it does finish by the time East 2013 comes around. So how will that work then in terms of Hotel registration? Will it just be added in the list of hotels in the pax east site?

I sincerely doubt any part of the expansion plans will be done before East 2013. They haven't even started on things yet as far as I know. Money has to be allocated by local governments, etc. There's a long road ahead still before the expansion will see any broken ground.

zerzhul on
  • stabbyclausstabbyclaus Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Hi Penny Arcade forums! My name is Stabby & I produce internet content for a large variety of awesome folks. I work half my years as a VFX artist for [adultswim] while running my own company Nebula Media in between TV gigs.

What we're wondering is, because we have yet to attend PAX, what's the best way to get the word out about upcoming animated series & cartoons at the convention? Outside of attending & throwing swag around (which we plan to!), does PAX offer screening/theater space? If so, where can we register? If not, are their local theaters & PAX artists who'd like to organize a premiere/screening space?

Those seem pretty obvious to us, but if you have any suggestions, I know myself & other content creators would love to hear it. For the curious, here is our channel: http://www.youtube.com/nebulamedia Although we do create a range of content, our series "The Locals" is an animated documentary featuring real gamers. If you have any questions about my work or our series, shoot me a response here or via PM.

Thanks for reading!

stabbyclaus on
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular

For a phone when I go to the US (as I usually end up going to LA most years) I have a http://www.truphone.com sim card (which has both a UK and a US number on it - costs £5 a month to keep the US number permanently - however to be fair I haven't used it for data that much so I can't personally confirm how cheap/expensive it is for that but I suspect it won't be that bad. You can add an Australian number to the same sim as well but I haven't bothered with that so far.

It also means US people can text your US number when you are back in the UK at local rates and UK people can text your UK number, I know someone from Australia who uses the same service for the same reasons.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It sounds like you'll want to register as a panel speaker. For one "attending & throwing swag around" is very much forbidden. There is also no screening room, per se, but if you were to register for a panel for this, you'd get your own room and be listed in the program guide, which would go a long way towards getting people to show up.

The panel submission page is here. You might also want to e-mail pax_panels@paxsite.com and pax_questions@paxsite.com about your request.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    *Jedi Wave*
    This is not the post you're looking for...

mike923 on
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    mike923 wrote: »
    I just got an email to a question I sent awhile back regarding hotels. They answered it and said the hotels are up! Here is the link:
    Edited out Link to be safe.

Happy booking!

I received the same email, I sent Smalllady a PM asking about it, since nothing has been posted anywhere else about it. Had this same issue happen a couple weeks ago.

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    Really? If I need to take down my posts I will. Didn't mean to do any harm >_<

I'd remove the link to be safe. It's not your fault at all. Just waiting for the "Official" announcement.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    masanbol wrote: »

In my past experience, 3G or cellular reception inside the convention hall is spotty to the point of being unusable. I had some decent success with a 4G wifi hotspot, but even that was pretty bad is some areas. Outside in Seattle proper everything seems to work just fine, however.

If you are landing that late you may want to take a cab. Going to/from SEATAC during the day is really cheap and easy on the light rail, but the trains stop running around 1AM. Here's the schedule: http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rail.xml

Cabs to downtown from SEATAC are about $40-50.

On the way back, all cabs from the Downtown Seattle Hotel District to SEATAC Airport are a flat rate of $32. Direct trips only. Extra stops will cost you extra.

BLM - ACAB
    Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for taking down the links. Official word is they need more time before this link is publicly posted.

You guys are all awesome!

edited May 2012
    So I am back with another hotel question. I am pretty sure we are going to try and book the homewood. I was looking at the different rooms online and some have sofa beds, some don't. Which types of rooms were available last year?

adias.angel on
    All of them that you can get through Onpeak have 1 bed & a sleeper sofa

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I booked a two person room at the Homewood last year, and it had a sofa and a king size (think it was king) bed in a separate bedroom.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    So I am back with another hotel question. I am pretty sure we are going to try and book the homewood. I was looking at the different rooms online and some have sofa beds, some don't. Which types of rooms were available last year?

Here is a screenshot of the options for rooms at Homewood.
    HomewoodSuites.jpg

awyldknght wrote: »

Here is a screenshot of the options for rooms at Homewood.
    HomewoodSuites.jpg

That's great news! I am guessing from what I can see on Homewoods website, those are all suites then. The non-suites do not have sofa sleepers.

• stabbyclausstabbyclaus Registered User new member
    Thanks Whypick1! So it's not like comic con in the sense that every living soul is attempting to promote something?... Neat!

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Home wood suites is already gone I think. :(

Axon wrote: »

Guess that means I book the Sherton and stalk the site until a homewood one gets cancelled. Wow that made that decision easy. ;)

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Only Thursday night is gone. Friday night, Saturday night, & Sunday night still available from what I see. They are almost gone though.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png

Gone before it even posted? I honestly find that highly unlikely. If that's the case, then perhaps they should do something about the people who used the link prior to it going public.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here is the current standing of all hotels:
    sg7br4.jpg

Edit to include all hotels

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »

Gone before it even posted? I honestly find that highly unlikely. If that's the case, then perhaps they should do something about the people who used the link prior to it going public.

VIPs and Exhibitors get hotels in a legit method before Attendees do (this is true for most cons with a 3rd party hotel provider). This is why the ultra-popular hotel for each pax always sells out seemingly so fast. Also, the homewood isn't that big in comparison to something like the Sheraton and likely doesn't have as many rooms available.

zerzhul on

VIPs and Exhibitors get hotels in a legit method before Attendees do (this is true for most cons with a 3rd party hotel provider). This is why the ultra-popular hotel for each pax always sells out seemingly so fast. Also, the homewood isn't that big in comparison to something like the Sheraton and likely doesn't have as many rooms available.

Well then I stand corrected.
    Also those numbers scare me in general because the wife and I were planning on coming out Wednesday, but it looks like by the time it goes live to us there will be no wednesday night hotels left :P (Looks like no 2 Bed Wednesday night hotels at all for the HYatt, I must tell the friend staying with us.)
    (All I need now is prices and I'll be set with the budget!)

edited May 2012

Hyatt is $191 per night (excluding taxes) and the rooms only have 1 bed.

Here are the prices for 2 people in a room:
    10g07cw.jpg

If you add people to the room the price will increase.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Hyatt is $191 per night (excluding taxes) and the rooms only have 1 bed.

Thanks, I'm glad to see that the prices for the Grand Hyatt haven't gone up much. That being said, worst case scenerio we'll book the Sheraton ;). (We just really liked the Hyatt.)
    Sorry, when planning a trip I occassionaly go into panic mode! I just wait for something to go wrong.

They just tweeted registration for badges & hotels is live:

One more time! We've relaunched PAX Prime registration: http://ow.ly/aF4Vd In addition our hotel system is live: http://ow.ly/aF4Zb

IhtGIyi.png
    Thanks again guys for being awesome with all the hickups.

!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.