As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah whatever I don't stick in the gbank I extract. I haven't sold anything yet and I still have over 200g just from quest rewards/drops

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »
    How are the KBM controls for this? It seems like a perfect fit for a controller, but alas I do not have one.. Is this going to make me go out and buy one (as well as Tera)?

KBM is flat out better than controller. It really is for any game that isn't a fighter or platformer.

Controller, I'd say, works better than you'd expect. Its certainly playable. It just feels a bit sluggish, in my opinion.

1208768734831.jpg
    Controller is going to have problems in later levels when rapid direction switches become par for the course.

Just a reminder, EU's official launch date is tomorrow :O

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My lion just showed up in the mail! Now I just have half a work day to get through.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    The noise the lion makes when moving is sort of irritating. Sort of a glug, glug sound.

Control gets interesting at points. Like in Cultist's Refuge with the reversal curse. Had a lancer and slayer that kept getting hit with it and running away from their healer.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    This game seems like it's one you'd want to play with a controller. Has anyone given it a try?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    This game seems like it's one you'd want to play with a controller. Has anyone given it a try?

It works well, and its great for casual play, but higher levels or focused dungeon running you want the faster response of the mouse and keyboard. Its probably doable with a controller, but its a bit slower with movement.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    grouch993 wrote: »
    The noise the lion makes when moving is sort of irritating. Sort of a glug, glug sound.

Truth. It's kinda starting to get on my nerves.

Are there any other cool mounts later on that are as fast as the Lion?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »

Control gets interesting at points. Like in Cultist's Refuge with the reversal curse. Had a lancer and slayer that kept getting hit with it and running away from their healer.

The horse is also super annoying. Constant neighing every second

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ohyes, my TERA CE has shipped. Delicious EU bonuses await me.

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    So I read that this game doesn't have BGs but it has some sort of flagging system where someone can go red and PK people at will. Also, that guilds can have open world wars against one another. Other than that, is there any sort of open world PvP?

I don't usually like Korean MMOs and I'm extra cautious because i've heard about this games quest grind. On the other hand, I'm going to have a terrible time waiting for GW2.

Decisions decisions.

PNA1v.jpg
    So I read that this game doesn't have BGs but it has some sort of flagging system where someone can go red and PK people at will. Also, that guilds can have open world wars against one another. Other than that, is there any sort of open world PvP?

I don't usually like Korean MMOs and I'm extra cautious because i've heard about this games quest grind. On the other hand, I'm going to have a terrible time waiting for GW2.

Decisions decisions.

BGs used to be in, but after feedback they received they found out people thought they sucked. So they removed them before release and are working on them to reintroduce them in next couple of months

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I saw the tera booth at pax figured I've already played it

should have asked them for swag

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

Decisions decisions.

BGs used to be in, but after feedback they received they found out people thought they sucked. So they removed them before release and are working on them to reintroduce them in next couple of months

I actually don't like Battlegrounds but I was still just wondering. My personal preference for PvP is open world fighting over objectives.

PNA1v.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Decisions decisions.

That "Going Red and PKing people at will" Is the open PvP. You can kill anyone anywhere that isn't a safe zone (Camps and towns) All you do is flag yourself as an outlaw and you can attack anyone. The Caveat is that by flagging yourself anyone can attack you back.

So what happens is that people will come across people fighting monsters or BAMs and wait until they are getting low or distracted. Then they will flag themselves and Gank those individuals. The downside is what happened to me last night. We just finished fighting a rather tough BAM and we all had roughly 1/10th of our health left so we had a campfire down and were recuperating (no healer, just warrior, lancer, and myself as slayer) '

A Sorc comes by and flags himself (unbeknownst to us) and targets me with his root move (lock on ability) I get rooted and am thinking to myself "Crap, i'm dead" However he only rooted the warrior and myself, the Lancer IMMEDIATELY turns around and smashes the sorc in the face with his shield stunning him. The root wears off, we exact swift justice.

We were not flagged, but because he flagged himself, anyone can attack him, just as he can attack anyone.

So oftentimes i'll come across outlaws that are picking on other players and i'll kill them, no questions asked. And often times I'll get ganked by roving bands of outlaws. On top of that our guild is the most popular one on the server so we are usually involved in no less than 2 wars at any given moment.

GvG wars flag both guilds as red to eachother so they can always attack eachother outside of safe zones. It also keep score and announces it to everyone in the guilds involved when a plays dies or kills another "Delphi has Slain smokeweederryday of [Spartan Legion]"

Because it notifies you when one of your own is killed often guild chat will erupt with "Location?, Ping loc!". If you type /ping it will post your current position on the map as a clickable link in the chat you type it in. It's great for organizing your guild or to make sure everyone knows where you were killed so they can respond.

It is a LOT of fun.

@amon the Elin failure always seemed more of a "Awwwwww" than anything sexual. But it may just be because I'm always questing with a castanic female and we always share nodes so when we fail her noise sounds much more orgasmic than my own. Couple with the fact that her race is essentially succubi well.....

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Flagging should take a while so people can't just snipe-flag like that. Or it should make it super obvious to everyone in the vicinity that a ganker is afoot

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    Interesting food for thought. Thanks for that.

PNA1v.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Neli wrote: »
    Flagging should take a while so people can't just snipe-flag like that. Or it should make it super obvious to everyone in the vicinity that a ganker is afoot

It does. They show up as a giant Red dot on your Radar and their name is red alone with a large blueish spiked circle under their feet. It's really not that easy to gank someone fighting BAMS because you can be hit yourself. What I do is I always keep an eye on my surroundings and if I see someone riding up on my group I assume that they are going to flag. If they don't, great. If they do I'm ready to dodge their first assault and starting fighting them around the BAM. Since their focus is killing you, you can position yourself with the BAM between them and force them to take hits from the BAM to try and get to you. It is much harder to try and kill someone WHILE avoiding attacks that can 2 shot you, while I can avoid both fairly easy because i'm not trying to fight back.

I have a perfect example of just this: I was grouped with 4 other people from my Guild fighting a Giant Basilisk World Boss in Basilisk Crag (An Even TOUGHER BAM) a group from a guild we were at war with rolls up and tries to pick a fight. We battle it out for a bit dodging their attacks, counter attacking, pulling other BAMS into the mix and eventually we kill the rival guild and go back to fighting the World Boss. It was a pretty epic fight.

Basically just keep an eye on your Radar. Anyone who can attack you freely (Whether due to GvG or being flagged) will show up there as a Large Red Dot. If you keep an eye out for those you'll be just fine.

Also Neli once you flag you can't unflag until you are out of combat for a certain duration of time. So if you flag to kill someone and you do manage to kill them, there is a very real chance that the next group you happen across will just steam roll you since you are still flagged. Or what often happens is that I come across someone who has just recently engaged someone and I help them kill the outlaw. The system is far more balanced than I initially gave it credit for. Especially since you can dodge and escape even high level players with a bit of skill since they can't tab target you.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I thought PA was on a PvE server? So, on Dragonfall people can just attack you whenever they flag?

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    I thought PA was on a PvE server? So, on Dragonfall people can just attack you whenever they flag?

They are talking about the PvP PA guild which is on valley of titans according to the OP.

hLeTR.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ahh, that makes more sense. Might help @A Flock of Walrus to know that there is another option to being attacked on demand.

am0n on
    ultimakay wrote: »

They are talking about the PvP PA guild which is on valley of titans according to the OP.

Oh yeah on PvE it's only GvG combat for PvP as far as I know (Unless you count duels). Also for clarification I don't know of a PA guild on VoT, I'm in TFT atm because I really wanted to push for a large guild that would be a mover and shaker in the political scene. It also turned out great because they are shockingly not dicks (although they are their own level of strange). They have been a lot of fun to play with and I've had a blast so far. They also seem to focus more on PKK than PKing (Although not all members do this) which is also a welcome benefit.

delphinidaes.png
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    The primary reason I don't play on pvp servers is because, while I enjoy the hell out of pvp I like to do it only when I want to. If I want to just have a few drinks and quest the night away I'd like to just do that without having to look over my shoulder.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

@Glal

Sell your cloth map to meeeeeeeee!

:o

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    The primary reason I don't play on pvp servers is because, while I enjoy the hell out of pvp I like to do it only when I want to. If I want to just have a few drinks and quest the night away I'd like to just do that without having to look over my shoulder.

This is pretty much how I feel and yet I'm still thinking of rolling a PvP char.

Leveling on two different servers does sound like pain, though.

steam_sig.png
    C'mon work... end already!

Ahh, that makes more sense. Might help @A Flock of Walrus to know that there is another option to being attacked on demand.

I enjoy PvP but not random deathmatching. I like fighting over objectives with some sort of strategy in mind. GW2 WvWvW thing really appealed to my PvP needs. Some of Tera's features sound interesting but without something else, it doesn't sound like PvP is a big part of the game.

PNA1v.jpg
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    As it stands, There is no GvG on PvE servers. They're working on implementing it, but it's not quite done yet. There are 5v5/10v10 Deathmatches and Duels though.

I also thought you could go Outlaw at level cap, and fight other Outlaws. Could be wrong.

Quintessin on
    well I think what's holding me off from getting this is knowing it will devolve into "show up at 7 to stab this guy in the butt until we finally kill him"

Jars wrote: »
    well I think what's holding me off from getting this is knowing it will devolve into "show up at 7 to stab this guy in the butt until we finally kill him"

That might be true, but from the one dungeon I've done so far and the few BAMs I've fought, it's more like "ok, stab this guy in the butt for a while, then, HOLY SHIT, where is he going?! FUCK FUCK FUCK HE JUST PULLED THAT OTHER GROUP OVER THERE. Oh SHIT ANOTHER DUDE JUST SHOWED UP OUT OF NOWHERE!

And then, despite all that, you win.

In case that isn't clear, that's a good thing.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    And the "show up at 7" part is always going to exist in a game where you have to coordinate more than two or three people. I know some people don't like to "game on a schedule", because it feels like work...but when coordinating any substantial amount of people, it's a prerequisite.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    @Glal
    Sell your cloth map to meeeeeeeee!
    :o
    Hah! Let me see the darn thing first. ;-)

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular

Look up some boss fight videos. You fight fun battles as early as level 20.

Though, if you don't like routines and/or stabbing things, well, that's part of playing an MMO.

1208768734831.jpg
    edited May 2012
    I played OB to 25 on a sorc.

I'm talking about raids mostly and how you press the same buttons over and over in hopes to collect loot week after week. basically that the combat can't overcome the repetitiveness of end game in mmos.

Jars on
    Are there even raids?

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Trying to decide what kind of upgrade I want for this. Low-pop on screen+pretty areas (the newbie island especially) jam the graphics card processor's use to 80+% but remains smooth. Cities the framerate drops significantly (big surprise) with the GC processor dropping to 40-50%.

SpeedFan tells me my i7 is working at 30% capacity pretty much everywhere, with core0 pretty much always maxed at 90+% use everywhere.

Not sure if it's the processor bottlenecking performance in high-pop areas or what, and if so, if that's because the game might lean heavily on the first core and not make good use of threading.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's not your CPU. One core pegging to 90% is completely normal. I have an i5, and CPU is certainly not the bottleneck for this game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I played OB to 25 on a sorc.

I'm talking about raids mostly and how you press the same buttons over and over in hopes to collect loot week after week. basically that the combat can't overcome the repetitiveness of end game in mmos.

In most mmos I would agree. The raiding In The two mmos that I have gotten to consisted of "Stand out of fire, press 1-5 in a certain order"

So far every new BAM i've come across in tera (Lvl 38 slayer now) has had me frantically running around trying to figure out his moves so I don't get instagibbed. Hell the boss we fought last night gave us a run for our money. It was the bonus boss in CR, and he is mobile as hell, sometimes he'll dash forward thorugh the tank, sometimes he'll jump backwards doing shitloads of damage to people behind him, or spin in a 360 to do the same. Then at one point he summoned 4 clones of himself (This is NOT a small boss) and we had to avoid all THEIR moves in addition to the main boss (Did I mention his massive AOE ranged blasts?)

Well at that point our healer got instagibbed so we had to fight down each clone, have the tank try nd somehow not die long enough for me to run in and revive the healer because the other two guys that tried it got hit by the boss which interrupted the cast AND started the cooldown (something like 10 or 20 minutes on the scroll for none healers)

So i'm literally our last revive attempt on our healer and I manage to complete the cast (it is not a short cast time) just in time for the healer to come up and toss a heal on our now badly battered warrior tank.

We manage to rally and bring him down not too long after that.

This is not one of the hard bosses. I'm only lvl 38. I'm not even talking raid bosses yet. I have played Everquest, WoW, FFXI, FFXIV, Age of Conan, WAR, SWTOR, STO, CO, LOTRO, and a host of other mmos that I can't even remember. In my person experience, this game has been the most Fun to play. I have never experience this sheer joy of scrambling around fighting a boss and having to react not just to big bad circles, but having to react to his movement, his tells, his patterns. Sure in other MMOs the bosses would say something, or maybe raise their arm before a certain attack, but I didn't have to dodge that attack. I just had to walk away from it, or maybe move to another spot that wasn't about to set aflame.

In Tera I have to actually move out of the swing, I have to be sure that the Giant Claw/Sword/Phallus doesn't actually touch my character. I can do this by dodging, blocking, using a dash, running backwards, running forwards, stunning the enemy, or a host of other ways. It is the fact that whether or not I get hit is entirely up to me, not a random roll of the dice, or a probability, I have to actually do something to make myself not die. It is that active component, that element that forces you to pay attention and to constantly be moving and readjusting that makes all the difference in the world.

Heck I didn't even tie in the fact that every ability I have has a cost associated with it in terms of moving me or keeping me from moving that I have to judge and time in accordance with how the boss is moving.

If you are concerned that perhaps at the end game people will have gotten good enough that the bosses are not much of a challenge, then you may be right, that will happen is any game to be honest. But I don't think that the bosses are stationary enough to be concerned that you'll just group up behind one and stab it for 7 minutes. My experience with the BAMS I have come across thus far eliminates that concern for me. Hell I even saw a video about a boss where the room grows darker and darker as the fight progresses until you are fighting it in pitch black. I can't wait to see what they are throwing at us in the End Game.

tl;dr I don't think it will be an issue.

delphinidaes.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I felt this deserved its own post

Apparently I was just contacted by another guild leader from the first page guilds wanting to meet up with me and some of my "Officers" (heh) to discuss the possible banding together of the medium and low pop guilds to combat the more popular guilds( i.e Goons) for the coming election on the Dragonfall server. I was tickled to death by this and thought I'd share it with you guys to get your thoughts. You all are "officers" btw.

So how did we end up on a server with Goons again? This can't be a coincidence.

Anyways, I don't really see the downside to banding together, other than trying to figure out who we're going to put up as a candidate.

This discussion has been closed.