As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trayvon Martin]'s Violent Attack on George Zimmerman

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Let's just say people are angry at Zimmerman for a reason.

I used to think that reason was a gun owner panicked and killed an unarmed teen. But then, if that were the real reason, the public would be angry about that man who shot who the unarmed mentally handicapped man who was walking his dog.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/stand-your-ground/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

If I were certain people on this forum and in youtube comments I would have to "be objective" about that case too. Who knows maybe that guy thought the mentally handicapped guy was totally going to jump in his car and murder him and his wife at the same time. I mean you NEVER know right? Right?

He told police he had no choice but to shoot. He said he couldn't drive away from Adkins because the dog was in the way and he "thought he had no other options,"

I... That's it I'm done. This world sometimes.

???

How can a dog block a SUV? Just run over the dog. Granted, under the law he doesn't have a duty to retreat, but the shooter is the one claiming he tried to retreat. The idea that some dog can stop a SUV is preposterous. It's a dog, not a dinosaur.

This case stinks way, way more than Zimmerman-Martin. The shooter claims his would-be attacker "air swung" his arms at the shooter's car, and was carrying a weapon (a 3-foot pipe/bat), which was then never found?

WTF.

Punching a car is not grounds for lethal force in self-defense under AZ law. And that's if the punch even connects with the car, rather than being an "air swing" - whatever that is.

And where could the weapon have gone? The "attacker" supposedly brandishing it was shot and killed at the scene, so it's not like he ran off and threw it in the river. 3-foot lengths of metal/wood don't just vanish into thin air.

This happened in early April, I think. I fished the link out of the Arizona thread but I do wonder why has no one heard about this incident until now. Well, I don't wonder but you know what I mean.

• Options
    BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular

I used to think that reason was a gun owner panicked and killed an unarmed teen. But then, if that were the real reason, the public would be angry about that man who shot who the unarmed mentally handicapped man who was walking his dog.

If I were certain people on this forum and in youtube comments I would have to "be objective" about that case too. Who knows maybe that guy thought the mentally handicapped guy was totally going to jump in his car and murder him and his wife at the same time. I mean you NEVER know right? Right?

He told police he had no choice but to shoot. He said he couldn't drive away from Adkins because the dog was in the way and he "thought he had no other options,"

???

How can a dog block a SUV? Just run over the dog. Granted, under the law he doesn't have a duty to retreat, but the shooter is the one claiming he tried to retreat. The idea that some dog can stop a SUV is preposterous. It's a dog, not a dinosaur.

This case stinks way, way more than Zimmerman-Martin. The shooter claims his would-be attacker "air swung" his arms at the shooter's car, and was carrying a weapon (a 3-foot pipe/bat), which was then never found?

WTF.

Punching a car is not grounds for lethal force in self-defense under AZ law. And that's if the punch even connects with the car, rather than being an "air swing" - whatever that is.

And where could the weapon have gone? The "attacker" supposedly brandishing it was shot and killed at the scene, so it's not like he ran off and threw it in the river. 3-foot lengths of metal/wood don't just vanish into thin air.

This happened in early April, I think. I fished the link out of the Arizona thread but I do wonder why has no one heard about this incident until now. Well, I don't wonder but you know what I mean.

Race is why. Whether its right or wrong, alot of people thought racism/profiling/stereotyping was the reason Zimmerman chased down Treyvon. To your average person, what else could it have been? The fact that Treyvon was wearing a hoodie? By the time it came out that Zimmerman was hispanic and had black friends, it didnt matter. The bias was already in place.

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You're basically proving exactly why he shouldn't be in jail because the populace says so.

Race has nothing to do with why Zimmerman shot Martin (allegedly, but pretty apparent at this point after 50 some odd pages in this thread and us tearing apart 60 some odd pages of 911 calls that were spouted as evidence of his racism... which had ~0 racism in it). Race has potentially everything to do with the way the police department handled the case after the fact. There can exist any number of situations where people act like dipsticks in this situation without racing having any bearing because Zimmerman is kind of brown and Martin is black.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    “I dont miss driving around scared to hit mexicans walkin on the side of the street, soft ass wanna be thugs messin with peoples cars when they aint around (what are you provin, that you can dent a car when no ones watchin) dont make you a man in my book. Workin 96 hours to get a decent pay check, gettin knifes pulled on you by every mexican you run into!”

Continued things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Quid wrote: »
    The most he should be charge for is following and possibly harrasing someone.

Guessing that's not a particularly harsh charge with any jail time.

He should be charged with acting recklessly and causing someones death because of it.

Following someone is reckless endangerment now?

Quid on
  • Options
    OMG Quid seriously? He was following him around WITH A GUN and the intention of grabbing him. Are you that dense?

• Options
    OMG Quid seriously? He was following him around WITH A GUN and the intention of grabbing him. Are you that dense?

And Martin knew this so attacked him with deadly force?

• Options

None of that means anything. I could have a paintball gun in my possession but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and bust some paint pellets through your window.

Concealed carry people wear guns like you put on your underpants. And there is nothing illegal about following someone around, he wasn't stalking the guy, he thought the boy was suspicious and had no inkling on the dudes race until questioned by the 911 operator.

It's not like he called up 911 and went, "Yeah there's this really shady black kid in a hoodie on drugs causing trouble."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

None of that means anything. I could have a paintball gun in my possession but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and bust some paint pellets through your window.

Concealed carry people wear guns like you put on your underpants. And there is nothing illegal about following someone around, he wasn't stalking the guy, he thought the boy was suspicious and had no inkling on the dudes race until questioned by the 911 operator.

It's not like he called up 911 and went, "Yeah there's this really shady black kid in a hoodie on drugs causing trouble."

Yes but did you know Martin had SKITTLES?

Super relevant.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

???

WTF.

Race is why. Whether its right or wrong, alot of people thought racism/profiling/stereotyping was the reason Zimmerman chased down Treyvon. To your average person, what else could it have been? The fact that Treyvon was wearing a hoodie? By the time it came out that Zimmerman was hispanic and had black friends, it didnt matter. The bias was already in place.

Alternatively Trayvon was killed on February 26th, and Daniel was killed over a month later. If you know anything about America, you know that it can hold only one tragedy in the national spotlight at a time.

That's why we were so enraptured by Casey Anthony, but never heard about Monica Bowie.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options

It means Zimmerman was acting as a vigilante. Try and tell me he wasn't. Because he was acting as a vigilante Treyvon died. Your trying to say that because Treyvon might have gotten really angry and attacked Zimmerman that it's Treyvons fault, when none of the evidence points to that at all.
    he thought the boy was suspicious and had no inkling on the dudes race

WTH man? I didn't even mention his race.

• Options
    I think I see why we have different points of view on this. I can't even imagine killing someone because I might get beaten up. I'm not personally afraid of death because of a fist fight. Apparently Zimmerman is. If so, why confront someone? If you know this about yourself, why place someone else's life in danger like that? Even if Treyvon had been a thief, so what? Why confront him yourself when you know your too afraid to melee with someone, and that if you do your going to kill them to prevent your own death?

• Options
    He wasn't expecting to get in a fist fight with the kid, he just wanted to know what was going on and what the kid was doing. Not that Martin had any expectation to answer crazy dude following him's question, but, since we don't know who did what or when... well... can you cast out doubt that you know for certain that Zimmerman followed the guy, Zimmerman tried to detain him, and Zimmerman was winning in a fist fight? Doesn't really coincide with either side's evidence, it seems to be a mix between what Martin's g/f is telling them, and what Zimmerman is telling them just from the call logs.

• Options

Yes but did you know Martin had SKITTLES?

Super relevant.

He was just an innocent kid!

It's just part of the narrative to play this off as a racial issue when it wasn't. It was some gung-ho, crazy dumbfuck who shot some stupid kid, allegedly.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

Before being tailed? Nothing.

Being followed and questioned doesn't give you authority to, allegedly, beat someone's head into the ground after sneaking back up on them, allegedly.

• Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

Being followed and questioned doesn't give you authority to, allegedly, beat someone's head into the ground after sneaking back up on them, allegedly.

ok, well take out the alleged stuff and you have

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    “I dont miss driving around scared to hit mexicans walkin on the side of the street, soft ass wanna be thugs messin with peoples cars when they aint around (what are you provin, that you can dent a car when no ones watchin) dont make you a man in my book. Workin 96 hours to get a decent pay check, gettin knifes pulled on you by every mexican you run into!”

Continued things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, that certainly brings the race angle back into play.

Also, this
    Another line suggested his friends went to jail and did not rat him out. “They do a year and dont ever open thier [sic] mouth to get my ass pinched.”
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/01/2778234/myspace-page-is-latest-salvo-in.html

from the same guy who calls 911 to complain about potholes?

Seriously?

You go to jail instead of ratting on me, while I call the cops every time someone litters?

BubbaT on
  • Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

And there is nothing illegal about following and questioning someone you think is suspicious, either. Which is where this all breaks down. At what point did Martin get on top of and start beating this man, allegedly?

• Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

And there is nothing illegal about following and questioning someone you think is suspicious, either. Which is where this all breaks down. At what point did Martin get on top of and start beating this man, allegedly?

Is there anything wrong/illegal with feeling threatened by someone following you for no good reason?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    He wasn't expecting to get in a fist fight with the kid, he just wanted to know what was going on and what the kid was doing. Not that Martin had any expectation to answer crazy dude following him's question

How do you know what Zimmerman was thinking? Not to mention, Zimmerman has a past history of assault. Please please please, put two and two together.

Bhaalen on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    He wasn't expecting to get in a fist fight with the kid, he just wanted to know what was going on and what the kid was doing. Not that Martin had any expectation to answer crazy dude following him's question

How do you know what Zimmerman was thinking? Not to mention, Zimmerman has a past history of assault. Please please please, put two and two together.

did you ever watch the CSI episode about the ex-con and the two sisters

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Because Zimmerman told us.

A past history doesn't mean anything.

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

Is there anything wrong/illegal with feeling threatened by someone following you for no good reason?

No but that in no way gives you the right to assault them. But, however, if in the process of assaulting them you give the person a belief they may be under server bodily harm, they can kill you. Going by what I see here, I wouldn't trust anyone knowing the nuances of the situations at large, and how they're separate and distinct, let alone a teenager.

The problem comes down to, who attack who first. If it was Martin, which we have no proof for, Zimmerman was not guilty by reason of self defense. If it was Zimmerman, which we have no proof for, Zimmerman was guilty of murder in probably the 2nd degree. However negligent homicide or manslaughter can be applied to Zimmerman because he put himself into a really shitty situation and pretty much led to the death of Martin through those actions.

• Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/trayvon-martin-case-george-zimmerman_n_1392591.html

“He had a temper and he became a liability,” the newspaper quoted the former co-worker as saying. “One time this woman was acting a little out of control. She was drunk. George lost his cool and totally overreacted,” he said. “It was weird, because he was such a cool guy, but he got all nuts. He picked her up and threw her. It was pure rage. She twisted her ankle. Everyone was flipping out.”

Bowen, stop being an asshole. Seriously your better then this. There is MORE then enough evidence to prove you wrong man. it's almost like you want Treyvon to have gotten violently mad. Or maybe since you keep bringing up race, its a racial thing with you.

• Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    The shooter claims his would-be attacker "air swung" his arms at the shooter's car, and was carrying a weapon (a 3-foot pipe/bat), which was then never found?

Just to point this out, I'm willing to bet the "weapon" was a cane or walking stick.

• Options
    There isn't any evidence.

And I am merely pointing out there isn't evidence either way. The only evidence you have is Zimmerman's gun and Martin's body, and some phone calls that prove nothing at all conclusively either way. And actually, lend more towards Zimmerman's side of the story than Martin's friend's recollection of half a phone conversation.

• Options
    And ultimately you're basically saying "you're guilty because you're a really shitty fellow." Which is a terrible thing for a justice system to be doing.

I could be guilty of stealing phones but that doesn't mean because I'm in a store and a phone is stolen I should be found guilty just 'cause I stole phones before.

• Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

No but that in no way gives you the right to assault them. But, however, if in the process of assaulting them you give the person a belief they may be under server bodily harm, they can kill you. Going by what I see here, I wouldn't trust anyone knowing the nuances of the situations at large, and how they're separate and distinct, let alone a teenager.

The problem comes down to, who attack who first. If it was Martin, which we have no proof for, Zimmerman was not guilty by reason of self defense. If it was Zimmerman, which we have no proof for, Zimmerman was guilty of murder in probably the 2nd degree. However negligent homicide or manslaughter can be applied to Zimmerman because he put himself into a really shitty situation and pretty much led to the death of Martin through those actions.

I'll agree with you there .... that said, I think we have more evidence that suggests Zimmerman was at fault than Martin.

• Options
    I'll agree with you there .... that said, I think we have more evidence that suggests Zimmerman was at fault than Martin.

More or less guilty of manslaughter or reckless endangerment. I think it's a stretch to go for murder 2 and this guy was jones-ing to shoot a black kid like the media is portraying it.

Dude was shady as fuck, but a malicious KKK hitman probably not.

• Options

More or less guilty of manslaughter or reckless endangerment. I think it's a stretch to go for murder 2 and this guy was jones-ing to shoot a black kid like the media is portraying it.

agreed again.

• Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

There is. He has 3 assaults in his past! Not to mention people in his life saying he's Jekyll and Hyde.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/trayvon-martin-case-george-zimmerman_n_1392591.html

According to Bowen he's just a decent guy who was trying to question a suspicous person in his neighborhood. YEAH RIGHT. I think at the least he approached Treyvon, Treyvon got angry at the accusations and started arguing with Zimmerman, and he flipped out.

• Options

Finally you backed down a little bit. I was getting worried. Treyvon wasn't at fault here man. Zimmerman was and he deserves some prison time.

• Options

wasn't he?

what was he doing?

There is. He has 3 assaults in his past! Not to mention people in his life saying he's Jekyll and Hyde.

According to Bowen he's just a decent guy who was trying to question a suspicous person in his neighborhood. YEAH RIGHT. I think at the least he approached Treyvon, Treyvon got angry at the accusations and started arguing with Zimmerman, and he flipped out.

nah, Bowen probably thinks he's shady as fuck

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I didn't say that at all. And that still doesn't give Martin the right to attack Zimmerman even if he got angry... which would give Zimmerman the right to retaliate with force if the alleged attacks are true.

Which is why murder 2 is silly. It's pandering to the masses and to the media. The dude is going to walk, probably hands down.

bowen on
  • Options
    I didn't say that at all. And that still doesn't give Martin the right to attack Zimmerman even if he got angry... which would give Zimmerman the right to retaliate with force if the alleged attacks are true.

Which is why murder 2 is silly. It's pandering to the masses and to the media. The dude is going to walk, probably hands down.

First, I want to apologize for getting so mad at you. Second, I think murder 2 is appropriate considering Zimmermans past. It really does look like Zimmerman grabbed treyvon and Treyvon freaked out and defended himself against Zimmerman, making him fear for his life and kill him. I mean you said it yourself:
    Dude was shady as fuck

• Options
    It's kosher.

I can see that being a proper course of the events that led up to the shooting. I am erring on the side of innocent before guilty, though, so I am leaning a bit more towards Zimmerman's story.

I agree though, that's probably what went down. Though even if Zimmerman grabbed him first, if Martin was truly about to kill the guy with his head bashing against the ground, I would be torn on where to put this. Which is probably why he will get away with acquittal like Casey Anthony did, there's a lot of reasonable doubt one could cast if you go for murder 2 in this scenario. There's just so much unknown.

Devil's advocate aside, I can't say this enough, dude is guilty as shitttttt.

• Options

How do you know?

Zimmerman being racist is irrelevant. Being racist does not justify Martin allegedly bashing his skull in to street. The requirement is to show, specifically, that Zimmerman actually did something justifying Martin. Not pointing at Zimmerman's history and saying "C'mooooooon".

Shady as fuck, as much as he is, is not proof of his guilt.

• Options

How do you know?

Zimmerman being racist is irrelevant. Being racist does not justify Martin allegedly bashing his skull in to street. The requirement is to show, specifically, that Zimmerman actually did something justifying Martin. Not pointing at Zimmerman's history and saying "C'mooooooon".

doesn't the involvement of racism legally magnify the punishment to deter hate crimes above crimes with no broad social vice (other than killing a dude)

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Shado redShado red Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Paladin wrote: »

How do you know?

doesn't the involvement of racism legally magnify the punishment to deter hate crimes above crimes with no broad social vice (other than killing a dude)

For a hate crime it would have to be proven that the crime was motivated by race, or other protected class. Proving that Zimmerman is racist in an of itself wouldn't elevate the crime to a hate crime.

Even if you could prove that Zimmerman initially followed Martin because Martin was black I don't think that this would elevate it to a hate crime. You would have to prove Zimmerman murdered Martin because he was black.

Shado red on
  • Options
    Shado red wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

How do you know?

For a hate crime it would have to be proven that the crime was motivated by race, or other protected class. Proving that Zimmerman is racist in an of itself wouldn't elevate the crime to a hate crime.

Even if you could prove that Zimmerman initially followed Martin because Martin was black I don't think that this would elevate it to a hate crime. You would have to prove Zimmerman murdered Martin because he was black.

how do you prove something like that

without a written or recorded explicit declaration

This discussion has been closed.