As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well gentleman, I just saw a video that dropped my desire to play Guild Wars 2 by half:

If PvP resumes into a 1 second battle against others players on release... I'll be really dissapointed.

Gustavo M on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gustavo M wrote: »
    Well gentleman, I just saw a video that dropped my desire to play Guild Wars 2 by half:

If PvP resumes into a 1 second battle against others players on release... I'll be really dissapointed.

I didn't see a single dodge that entire video.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

Cripple/chill/dodging/being vaguely competent kind of counters that concept pretty satisfactorily.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The unlock was really only a problem when I was trying new weapons and things got a bit intense. Run into an DE that's ramping up with 30+ people there and only having 1 weapon skill really doesn't work out so well.

Edit: I just thought about what people are probably thinking "Switch weapons!" I am coming from an engineer and elementalist perspective for the most part as I played those two the most and maybe my own experience is skewed towards that.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Huggles wrote: »
    Cripple/chill/dodging/being vaguely competent kind of counters that concept pretty satisfactorily.

I don't think that'll do much -- since we are talking about a warrior with 10k crits.
    shryke wrote:

Wich makes me even more dissapointed.

• xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Slots 1,2 and 3 were fine speed wise. They just need to tweak the 4th and 5th slots.
    Also they should make Elementalist weapon unlocking faster than the other professions because they have to do it per attunement per weapon =x

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Stability also so they can't knock you down in the first place.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Yea, as was commented, that build relies heavily on not only using your cooldowns (which some are pretty long at 2 and 1 minute) and on your opponents not utilizing their defensive cooldowns (which are on shorter cooldowns).

My friends used that build, or one very similar to it, and they had a lot of fun when their cooldowns were available but not so much when they couldn't bull rush someone that was out of endurance. It also lacks any defense, and dies very quickly to any kind of focus fire in group fights.

Because of these drawbacks they abandoned the build. It's really good for pub stomping and having fun with some big numbers. As soon as you meet someone that knows how to avoid getting insta gibbed (defensive cooldowns and dodging) then it falls apart.

I prefer a double axe with sword/board weapon switch. Bullrush is still great, and the invlun utility skill. Double Axe has very similar damage output to the greatsword, but without the requirement of rooting yourself and relying on enemies not using any defensive skills.

I don't think that'll do much -- since we are talking about a warrior with 10k crits.

If he's traited for 10k crits, he's going to be made of paper. I don't recall that video showing the player ever getting hit.

zomg guys!
    I just saw a video that was clearly sped up and this warrior was dropping players in less than a second.
    The game is imbalanced! Nerfs nerfs for all!

shryke wrote:

Wich makes me even more dissapointed.

How does it make you more disappointed? He's murdering scrubs who don't even dodge or use defensive abilities. Of course he's ripping them to shreds with a full on damage build.

edited May 2012
    If he's traited for 10k crits, he's going to be made of paper. I don't recall that video showing the player ever getting hit.

Actually, It does show most people hitting 1,1k's against him, while he was performing 10k's.

Gustavo M on
    Reminds me of those TF2 sniper kill videos that conveniently omit any of the recorder's deaths.

shryke wrote: »
    How does it make you more disappointed?

It makes me think that PvP does not require any sort of tactic or strategy, since hey; You can rip off a necromancer In two hits.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You're going to have all of the weapon skills unlocked during the first day of play, essentially. Is that really too slow?
    Well, I generally base thing off my girlfriend's reactions. The case that comes to mind most is her experience with her wizard. By the time she was done with all the spells just on the staff, she was fairly bored with the character. The wizard is the extreme case, since they have 4x the unlocks, but carried over to each class we tried, I swear we spent most of the weekend unlocking weapon skills. Yeah, I can have them all unlocked in a day, but that day is the first impression of the game. It should be spent doing something fun, so people get excited and drag their friends in. Not "well, I wanted to know what every wizard spell was, so I spent a couple hours looking for rats to kill".

That aside, can we at least agree that if nothing else changes, the wizard needs a bonus to weapon unlock time? It's what, 16 skills to unlock multiplied by 5 weapons?

I don't understand the necessity for easing into a weapon. I guess giving a first time ever mmo player a single attack and telling them to go at it might make sense, but the vast majority of cases where people are unlocking skills it won't be a first time mmo player. Even the total noob is going to only have one first weapon. I personally just completely tune out of the game when it comes to unlocks, since I don't feel I'm learning what a weapon does until I have the full capability. And I'm a bit insulted at the thought that I have to kill 5 rats to know that hitting 1 is attack X.

My thought in what I proposed was to give a complete set of tools, by putting basic attacks on 1-5 to start, but introduce complexity over time by introducing buffs/debuffs. A more advanced player will at least be able to choose single target vs aoe, or long vs short range abilities, and the new player will most likely learn the weapon exactly as is now - when they're comfortable with how 1 works, they'll try 2.

Madpoet on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    xgalaxy wrote: »

zomg guys!
    I just saw a video that was clearly sped up and this warrior was dropping players in less than a second.
    The game is imbalanced! Nerfs nerfs for all!

Did you watch the video? It isn't sped up. That build really does that much damage that fast. But doesn't come without it's drawbacks.

here is the second part that shows him using the build. Not sped up at all. The people he fights aren't the greatest, but aren't super total scrubs either given the amount of time people had with the game over the weekend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=83hvsuTd_No&annotation_id=annotation_686287&feature=iv&v=LkGx56riidY

He has a real nice fight with a pretty good Thief. but LOL EVISCERATE!

Buddies on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You're going to have all of the weapon skills unlocked during the first day of play, essentially. Is that really too slow?

Yes. No one would consider it even halfway reasonable if you unlocked Fire Flower in Mario "during the first day of play". MMOs don't get a pass on bullshit grinds just because some people expect that from the genre.

edited May 2012

It makes me think that PvP does not require any sort of tactic or strategy, since hey; You can rip off a necromancer In two hits.

Um, you think PvP does not require any sort of tactic or strategy because the people in the video don't use any tactics or strategy despite their being obvious examples of tactics and strategy to use that everyone here has pointed out?

Are you sure you've thought this through?

EDIT: Shit, the second video, 1 minute in, has a necro who holds him off just by actually dodging unlike every other guy he kills I've seen so far.

shryke on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Beta!

kQwcZLJ.png
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Well, I generally base thing off my girlfriend's reactions. The case that comes to mind most is her experience with her wizard. By the time she was done with all the spells just on the staff, she was fairly bored with the character. The wizard is the extreme case, since they have 4x the unlocks, but carried over to each class we tried, I swear we spent most of the weekend unlocking weapon skills. Yeah, I can have them all unlocked in a day, but that day is the first impression of the game. It should be spent doing something fun, so people get excited and drag their friends in. Not "well, I wanted to know what every wizard spell was, so I spent a couple hours looking for rats to kill".

That aside, can we at least agree that if nothing else changes, the wizard needs a bonus to weapon unlock time? It's what, 16 skills to unlock multiplied by 5 weapons?

I don't understand the necessity for easing into a weapon.
    I guess giving a first time ever mmo player a single attack and telling them to go at it might make sense, but the vast majority of cases where people are unlocking skills it won't be a first time mmo player. Even the total noob is going to only have one first weapon. I personally just completely tune out of the game when it comes to unlocks, since I don't feel I'm learning what a weapon does until I have the full capability. And I'm a bit insulted at the thought that I have to kill 5 rats to know that hitting 1 is attack X.

My thought in what I proposed was to give a complete set of tools, by putting basic attacks on 1-5 to start, but introduce complexity over time by introducing buffs/debuffs. A more advanced player will at least be able to choose single target vs aoe, or long vs short range abilities, and the new player will most likely learn the weapon exactly as is now - when they're comfortable with how 1 works, they'll try 2.

Because a weapon is a whole new set of skills designed to work together?

Like, basically every game ever made eases you in to it's systems and abilities.

edited May 2012

I don't understand the necessity for easing into a weapon. I guess giving a first time ever mmo player a single attack and telling them to go at it might make sense, but the vast majority of cases where people are unlocking skills it won't be a first time mmo player. Even the total noob is going to only have one first weapon. I personally just completely tune out of the game when it comes to unlocks, since I don't feel I'm learning what a weapon does until I have the full capability. And I'm a bit insulted at the thought that I have to kill 5 rats to know that hitting 1 is attack X.

You aren't easing players into using a weapon.

You are easing them into skills that just happen to be tied to a specific weapon.
    You are easing them into learning which situations those skills do and don't work well.
    You are easing them into learning the synergies each of these skills have with one another.

I agree that the speed of the unlocking could be faster, particularly with regards to slots 4 and 5.
    I also agree that Elementalist's need a faster unlock speed.

By the time she was done with all the spells just on the staff, she was fairly bored with the character.

This just doesn't really fly with me.
    Are you sure your girlfriend likes playing MMO's?
    Is she bored with a Mage before level 10 in WoW because she had to spend, what is certainly a longer period of time, leveling up and learning new abilities for her mage?

xgalaxy on
    edited May 2012
    shryke wrote:

Yes, but... as our friend here said:
    Beta!

So I'll leave It at that.

May Colin blesses you, my friend.

Gustavo M on

I guess giving a first time ever mmo player a single attack and telling them to go at it might make sense, but the vast majority of cases where people are unlocking skills it won't be a first time mmo player. Even the total noob is going to only have one first weapon. I personally just completely tune out of the game when it comes to unlocks, since I don't feel I'm learning what a weapon does until I have the full capability. And I'm a bit insulted at the thought that I have to kill 5 rats to know that hitting 1 is attack X.

Like, basically every game ever made eases you in to it's systems and abilities.

Like, basically every MMO ever made has a secure trade system. Snoogans.

I know games ease into things. This game is doing it too much. It is doing it in a way that (IMHO) is offputting to experienced players. And the only explanation you give for why it is a good thing is "every game does it".

If a weapon is a whole new set of skills designed to work together, why do I only get to use one at a time? If I'm supposed to learn the weapon, shouldn't I be able to use the whole weapon?

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Huh.

I looked at his build, it depends on someone standing still in his Hundred blades with frenzy. Frenzy has a pretty long cooldown, and is a devistating ability (as well as one of my favorites) It causes you to attack twice as fast, with a bonus to crit.

Warriors are NOT tanks in this game, they do significant DPS, you need to kite them, and keep them away from you. They are also resiliant, and can take quite a few hits, but vunerable to slows, and roots more than other classes are effected by slows and roots. If you see a warrior dash at you, you need to dodge roll. These things wont be learned by the majority of players for a while, but will quickly start happening once comp mode is released and competative teams play against each other. He is using a high burst warrior build, competent players can avoid the burst and and he is left with lower than average dps for a warrior after he uses his burst. he traded some dps, for burst and its really fine.

Plus numbers will get tweaked and the extreme outlays are going to get adjusted.

I was playing a similar build over the weekend and would easily destroy anyone who thought it was a good idea to stay next to me. Had a few rounds with a theif, when the thief started utilizing an in-out strategy not letting me get solid hits on him he started to win fights against me. Before he was trying to use his spin move next to me, when i would answer with frenzy+hundred blades and take out a huge chunk of his health.

Ive learned a bit from the build and I have some adjustments to it ill be making, for example I plan on going 2h hammer 2h sword and utilizing backbreaker to force people to get stuck in a frenzy+hundred blades combination. However if my enemy is smart and sees the heavy backswing coming he is going to dodge out of the way.

hrm he is running at 18k health, I was running at 30k health. His build is very squishy.

Draygo on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    You can definitely build bursty builds in GW2. On my thief, built for power, I could EASILY pop haste and kill anybody from full to dead with a backstab and 4 super speed heart seekers. That being said, you would never run that against good players, so I only ran that build for a few matches for rofls. 10k+ backstabs are fun and all, but I had about 12k health in that build with none of the great utility I enjoy.

My more legit build had me doing much more reasonable damage, but being extremely hard to kill, so I was still extremely potent in 1v1.

What you see in most of the warrior videos is a setup of bull's charge(knockdown), frenzy(quickness for double speed channel/activation), and abilities like hundred blades with the greatsword, which if you're knocked down and being channeled on double speed hurt like a mother, and then they finish you off with an adrenaline skill. If you go look up some sniper videos, you can find rifle warriors popping 12k+ crits with the adrenaline burst of that weapon.

The key in both cases, is that you have to build yourself with very low health/defense to do these things, and the KEY is that bull's charge and the rifle adrenaline shot both either have a huge visual wind up, or a long cast time. Both are very easily avoided via dodge, or numerous utility/weapon skills.

In a giant cluster of people fighting, like the 16 man pvp maps from the beta, some of this stuff is silly because it's hard to see coming and then you're smoked, but in competitive 5v5, I doubt you'll see many people running these paper doll builds, because in a 5v5 where the fights are mostly 1v1, 2v2 and what not, the stuff is amazingly easy to counter, and your opponent is paper to be shredded defensively.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They already kicked constant stealth in the nuts. Now that they have a huge pile of numbers to look through, there'll be tons of more balancing.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

lol frenzy is hilarious.

Unfortunately, the meat of that build can be negated by using an ability to make you immune to control effects. 100 Blades roots the Warrior in place... so unless your opponent is stupidly standing toe to toe with you, or is stunned/rooted, it's easily avoided.

steam_sig.png
    The most deadly builds I've seen are honestly not the super bursty ones, but rather condition based builds, because they can be very survivable, and the only counter is having a condition clear skill/ally to do it for you. It's pretty easy for a necro to build where they can just use scepter auto attacks to stack up so many bleeds on you you'll be taking close to 2k per second just from that, and they can have about 25k hp while doing it, easily.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I'm totally with you, this is ridiculous and unacceptable!

I mean, remember wow was like that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRjgcpgFLI

Oh wait they fixed it before the game launched and there's no reason to suspect GW2 won't see major balance changes between now and release.

Seriously though, PVP balance is like, the last thing they worry about because other more significant pre-launch changes have such an impact as to make trying to balance it like trying to juggle cats.

I'm sure the pvp game a week after launch will be completely different tactically than it is now (also it should be noted that as an engineer, if a warrior spent 3 seconds in melee range of me, I had probably failed)

override367 on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    @reVerse So, I see that you didn't actually have anything constructive to say after all. Marvelous! I'd love to go against you in structured PVP next BWE. =D That way you can sulk on the capture point, dropping one-liners like, "Pets are terrible" whilst I eat you alive with my actual pet build.

Because, sweety, I assure you that when I go pet-based necromancer you'll sure as hell know it. ;D This... definitely not a pet build.
    Minion master FTW

FWnykYl.jpg

Like, basically every MMO ever made has a secure trade system. Snoogans.

I know games ease into things. This game is doing it too much. It is doing it in a way that (IMHO) is offputting to experienced players. And the only explanation you give for why it is a good thing is "every game does it".

If a weapon is a whole new set of skills designed to work together, why do I only get to use one at a time? If I'm supposed to learn the weapon, shouldn't I be able to use the whole weapon?

No because they are trying to teach you each skill one at a time. Your problem is you don't seem to grasp why every game eases you into it's systems bit by bit.

I'm not sure how "games should slowly teach you there mechanics" became anything but standard practice.

Unfortunately, the meat of that build can be negated by using an ability to make you immune to control effects. 100 Blades roots the Warrior in place... so unless your opponent is stupidly standing toe to toe with you, or is stunned/rooted, it's easily avoided.

A mesmer with 1h sword can just hit his 3 and go invulnerable, while doing damage right back.

Caedere wrote: »
    @reVerse So, I see that you didn't actually have anything constructive to say after all. Marvelous! I'd love to go against you in structured PVP next BWE. =D That way you can sulk on the capture point, dropping one-liners like, "Pets are terrible" whilst I eat you alive with my actual pet build.

Because, sweety, I assure you that when I go pet-based necromancer you'll sure as hell know it. ;D This... definitely not a pet build.
    Minion master FTW

Be nice to each others, you little shits.

shryke wrote:

Yes, but... as our friend here said:
    Beta!

So I'll leave It at that.

May Colin blesses you, my friend.

Just because it's Beta doesn't mean you aren't still wrong for not noticing that he is only killing scrubs.

That video is full of people who last a long time against him or even hold him off by using only the most basic of defensive tactics.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Based on my play in the beta, IMO it would be nice if they buffed everyone's hp a bit. Not too much, just enough to make the average fight last a little longer and avoid the problems of burst damage rendering some fights into curbstombs.

edited May 2012
    By the time she was done with all the spells just on the staff, she was fairly bored with the character.

Is she bored with a Mage before level 10 in WoW because she had to spend, what is certainly a longer period of time, leveling up and learning new abilities for her mage?
    Well, she's only played with me since Kunark era EQ, so she doesn't have QUITE the experience I do...
    Tell the truth, yes, she got bored of WoW mages early. They very well model the early DnD model of weak and boring early, godlike power endgame. But, was it her learning the difference between a fireball and an iceball, or was it "yeah, you'll have to make do with these two spells so we can stretch this out a bit". Because It's a bit of an insult if a company thinks I'd have to cast them more than once to tell the difference.
    The long ramp up of a new character is a repeated flaw in MMOs. It's usually handwaved away with "well, the experienced player will breeze through it", but I don't see why it needs to be there at all. Already have a max level character? Cool, start at a point where the character has most of their abilities and have at it. There's no need to force players to do something not fun, ever.

Madpoet on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Hey, @Buddies and everyone else wanting to discuss professions and all that, what are the thoughts on my build last page? Loooook, it's delicious theorycrafting. ;D

I'd put the 10 points in spite somewhere else. If you want more damage, I'd go with curses. The damage lost in power, will be made up a little in condition damage, and the duration bonus of spite is kind of whack IMO. People can drop your dots if they so desire, and you can reapply/restack them easily. If you want to live longer to be more of a jerk, then Blood Magic. You won't be blowing people up anyway, but in 1v1s you will be just beating them in a nice long fight.

With a build like that it would require some serious dedication from the other team to kill you. Which will leave them very vulnerable. Death Shroud more than doubles your life span. Which with a 30k possible health pool makes killing you feel like a waste of time. So I'd say I agree with Rend, that Death Shrouds strength is that it gives you another life basically. It allows your cooldowns to cycle, and reset a fight. After the fight is reset you start building life force again and the cycle continues. So while the other team is dedicating 3 people to kill you (which will still take them a long time considering they are doing a 3v1), the other 4 on your team can easily go take the other [2] points or kill the PvE monsters without any real risk.

It could lead to some boring matches though as you sit on a capture point by yourself the entire game and your team is fighting back and forth over mid and the other point.

Interesting. You bring up some nice points. I have the 10 points for the increased Life Blast damage, but I'd have to see how much it actually increases it by. It might not be worth it, honestly.

The intention here is to chase people down and engage in 1v1 battles as much as possible. With Death Shroud, I really like the traits you can put into it - stability is MAJOR, and having that + healing + more speed + Enfeeble + the extra health you already get + fear is very attractive.

I admit that I make some pretty strange builds, but they're generally a lot of fun. I'll get those videos from beta up ASAP so you all can see some of the stuff I pulled. :lol: None of them are THIS build, but there's still some great stuff in there (conditions necromancer, attunement-dancing elementalist, venom thief, etc).

FWnykYl.jpg
    Arryn wrote: »
    So I got a question I'm hoping someone will want to weigh in on ... I missed the last BWE as I was spending time with the inlaws. But a buddy of mine says he felt Melee toons were distinctly weaker than Ranged.

Any opposing opinions on that? As someone who prefers melee, and I'm going to just be fodder in the range-fest wood chopper?

You may have already been answered, but hey, I'm playing catch up. Melee does considerably more damage than ranged when they're on their target. In this beta weekend, the champion level guys and many of the dynamic events were scaling very stupidly with large numbers of people there, so being melee in many of them just resulted in one shot deaths. Jon Peters addressed this on a beta forum post, basically saying "Melee does more damage than ranged and has more control/cc in general, and we know the DEs and stuff were scaling badly, etc."

It's one of the things i love about this game, because I always play melee, and most MMOs give you no advantage in the name of keeping all DPSers near the same potential dps, etc., but in GW2, that doesn't matter, because there's no tank and spank fights, so they can make melee actually more powerful to overcome the disadvantages, and it shows.

Well, she's only played with me since Kunark era EQ, so she doesn't have QUITE the experience I do...
    Tell the truth, yes, she got bored of WoW mages early. They very well model the early DnD model of weak and boring early, godlike power endgame.
    The long ramp up of a new character is a repeated flaw in MMOs. It's usually handwaved away with "well, the experienced player will breeze through it", but I don't see why it needs to be there at all. Already have a max level character? Cool, start at a point where the character has most of their abilities and have at it. There's no need to force players to do something not fun, ever.

Which is exactly why people who buy max level characters in MMOs are totally great at their new class.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I think everyone needs to take a step back, breathe, and realize what is happening in this thread.

We have reached the Anger stage of withdrawal. We are all angry we are not still playing right now. Very angry. And we are taking this out on each other.

So shut the hell up, you geese, and hug so we can get to acceptance.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
This discussion has been closed.