As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Selling my stuff (possibly online!)

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I need to help generate a bit more cash until my big move to Toronto this August, and I thought I could part ways with some of my stuff that I won't be needing any longer to help bring in a few extra dollars for some financial cushion. Thing is, I haven't a real clue on a real way to do it successfully! I'm not sure if I should post local ads or do this online via eBay.

One of the things i'd love to sell is one of my guitars, but after checking out craigslist and eBay it seems quite intimidating! I'm not sure where to start haha

I could use any advice on how to start making some dinero! Can anyone help me out?

Godfather on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What kind of guitar is it? Can you post pictures?

You could always post an ad on Kijiji. Post a few pictures, say cash/pick up only, and make a good offer.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    I've sold all of my guitars on Craigslist in the past. eBay and Paypal eat up too much of your profit unless you've got a large eBay account. It's the way to do it with the least amount of hassle IMO.

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    When selling on craigslist arrange to meet in public and, as paranoid as it sounds, if it's a high value item pick up a counterfeit pen. Pretty sure it was on here a while back that the dude selling his xbox got passed the counterfeit bills, and I don't think he ever got his money.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    When selling on craigslist arrange to meet in public and, as paranoid as it sounds, if it's a high value item pick up a counterfeit pen. Pretty sure it was on here a while back that the dude selling his xbox got passed the counterfeit bills, and I don't think he ever got his money.

You could just learn how to check for counterfeit currency. It's not that difficult once you learn. Fakes become hilariously obvious once you know.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    It's just a standard La Patrie Etude. I'm real finicky with my guitars so it's in great condition.

With the case i'd love to snag a solid $300 for it

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    As far as selling on craigslist goes, I second public places. I always use a starbucks or a wal mart parking lot or something.

I don't have one of those pens, but (and this is SUPER paranoid) I always just get a good look at the car tag of whoever I sell something to and then take the bills to the wal mart or starbucks and ask to borrow their pen. I feel weird checking the money someone gives me in front of them, and this way if it's bogus I've got their tag and can just call the cops, but in YEARS of selling that's never happened, so it's not like a big problem or worry.

Godfather, we recently sold a guitar and honestly we did just as well taking it to a local second hand music store than we would have done on craigslist. We MIGHT have made an extra $70 or so on craigslist, but it would have taken two weeks of reposting the guitar every day, as guitars move to the bottom of the page fast on cl.

just my .02

are YOU on the beer list?
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Godfather, I don't suppose you live in the Boston area?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Craigslist is the easiest way to sell local, and the tips provided are good. I don't know about a money pen, I would just learn to hold the money up to a light and look for the watermark.

The issue with EBay is that it's a bunch of work, plus you're giving them a cut, plus you put yourself on the hook for all kinds of annoying things....plus you have to use PayPal. I've sold one thing on EBay, and probably will never do it again.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Ah no, I live in Texas unfortunately