As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TDS & CR: Guys use the new thread already.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I don't even know who Diane Keaton is nor do I give a flip about her book, but that interview was hilarious.

Annie Hall. She was the title character and won Best Actress, plus three more nominations (Louise Bryant, Reds, 1975; Bessie Greenfield, Marvin's Room, 1996; Erica Barry, Something's Gotta Give, 2003). She was also in the Godfather trilogy as Kay Adams-Corleone.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Watching that interview, I would've sworn she was drunk.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Watching that interview, I would've sworn she was drunk.

Or really, really high.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    She's been a comic actor probably for as long as Colbert's been alive.

What I'm saying is she probably was high but didn't need to be in order to be that funny.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    She definitely seemed like she was drunk or stoned

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Seriously, that Diane Keaton interview was crazy in the best way.

• lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    *Watches interview*

Hookay, I can breath again after laughing so hard.
    You could literally see the moment where Stephen went "Okay, where did I lose control of this interview?" in his mind. Then the realization that he never really had control of it in the first place.
    Yeah, she had to be drunk for that interview. But good lord do I want her to be in that state and in an interview with John. It promises to be better that the Ricky Gervais interviews. :P

lordlundar on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    This probably happens all the time for Jon Stewart, but wow...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/catholic-league-threatens-boycott-daily-show-jon-stewart-article-1.1064508
    [snip]

Comedy Central did not immediately return a request for comment, and Stewart has not addressed the threat on his Twitter account.

Is that a thing now? Have twitter responses become so ubiquitous that the absence of one has become newsworthy?

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    And Comedy Central did not immediately return a comment? Are you kidding me?

Having been denied instant gratification, the reporter then went on Twitter and called it a day, apparently.

I mean, yes, I'll admit there probably wasn't much else she could do, but the sheer sense of entitlement radiating off that sentence could render a continent barren.

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    What the heck was up with Jon soft balling Barton last night?

That guy is a hack.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it was softballing or the two men speaking different languages and Jon trying to bridge the gap.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, Jon was trying to ease into a real discussion and that guy was bringing the crazy.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/catholic-league-threatens-boycott-daily-show-jon-stewart-article-1.1064508
    [snip]

Comedy Central did not immediately return a request for comment, and Stewart has not addressed the threat on his Twitter account.

Is that a thing now? Have twitter responses become so ubiquitous that the absence of one has become newsworthy?

The Catholic League is a trashy concern group that uses its donations to pay the exorbitant six-figure salaries of its President, William Donohue, and VP, Bernadette Brady, who reported incomes in 2008 of $320,523 and $165,641, respectively. (link). The next year, Donohue paid himself a salary of 342,500 (an even 350,000 would have looked suspicious!) They have no other paid staff.

"They" (by which I mean Bill Donohue) have gotten in trouble in the past for lying on IRS forms, as well. So there's a pretty good chance that if he's claiming to the IRS that only 1/8th of their donations go to pay his salary, it may actually be more like 8/8ths. Just sayin! (link). The group, and by which I mean the man who runs it, has no credibility, no clout, no meaningful influence at all.

Any media figure can tell Donohue to go walk a plank of dicks and there is nothing he can do about it aside from embezzle donations with angry missives sent to local papers.

eQXvz.jpg

Pictured: Bill Donohue poses in a legitimate suit in front of some legitimate books, to emphasize that his group is a legitimate League of some sort and not just run by him, Bill Donohue, for the benefit of one Bill Donohue.

Form of Monkey! on
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, Jon was trying to ease into a real discussion and that guy was bringing the crazy.

But he didn't question any of his completely fabricated claims or the fact that even taken at face value his position is a complete strawman.

Would the person who learned in school that the founders were atheist please stand up?

rockrnger on
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

[snip]

The Catholic League is a trashy concern group that uses its donations to pay the exorbitant six-figure salaries of its President, William Donohue, and VP, Bernadette Brady, who reported incomes in 2008 of $320,523 and $165,641, respectively. (link). The next year, Donohue paid himself a salary of 342,500 (an even 350,000 would have looked suspicious!) They have no other paid staff.

"They" (by which I mean Bill Donohue) have gotten in trouble in the past for lying on IRS forms, as well. So there's a pretty good chance that if he's claiming to the IRS that only 1/8th of their donations go to pay his salary, it may actually be more like 8/8ths. Just sayin! (link). The group, and by which I mean the man who runs it, has no credibility, no clout, no meaningful influence at all.

Any media figure can tell Donohue to go walk a plank of dicks and there is nothing he can do about it aside from embezzle donations with angry missives sent to local papers.

eQXvz.jpg

Pictured: Bill Donohue poses in a legitimate suit in front of some legitimate books, to emphasize that his group is a legitimate League of some sort and not just run by him, Bill Donohue, for the benefit of one Bill Donohue.

If I kill Bill Donohue, will I inherit the powers and money and prestige and money and clout and money of the Catholic League?

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    On the topic of catholic groups that actually maintain some sway: goddamn the Jesuits burned the shit out of Paul Ryan.

Also, they should take away his right to communion for talking shit on bishops. Would be hilarious.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

But he didn't question any of his completely fabricated claims or the fact that even taken at face value his position is a complete strawman.

Would the person who learned in school that the founders were atheist please stand up?

When Jon doesn't know anything about a topic, he just wants everyone to get along. Which is extremely frustrating when topics that are not comedy or the political media are the main point.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Jon Stewart: Too Reasonable For The Cool Kids 8->

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

I really wish the Daily Show would also bring on someone who's an actual historian to offer a rebuttal, at the very least, but then again they have the "we're just a comedy show, why so serious" thing to hide behind when they give complete hacks like Barton a national platform multiple times and then do nothing but lob softballs at the guy.

edited May 2012
    Lawndart wrote: »

I really wish the Daily Show would also bring on someone who's an actual historian to offer a rebuttal, at the very least, but then again they have the "we're just a comedy show, why so serious" thing to hide behind when they give complete hacks like Barton a national platform multiple times and then do nothing but lob softballs at the guy.

They do this occasionally. Like when Bush's Milk-Mustache Walrus lied his face off to Jon about Lincoln having some of his political rivals in his cabinet, Jon called Doris Kearns-Goodwin (holy shit I actually remembered her name on the first try), who wrote the book Team of Rivals, the next show to accuse her of lying about Lincoln, and Kearns-Goodwin explained the truth. Or when they recently had Tyson on to give his opinion about "asteroid mining: bullshit or no bullshit?" But they don't do it during an interview, because that would be confrontational and hostile and Jon wants to, y'know, have guests in the future. Guests he doesn't just automatically agree with.

Now if Jon knows his stuff, such as media hypocrisy, he's willing to go after someone like Jim Cramer because when it's something that's televised and he's trying to just pin the guy for lying, he can say "roll 212" and play a clip that counteracts what the guy just said, and it's all on him, not on a third-party expert he brings in. But why doesn't he put in the time and the effort and the research to do it himself all the time? Well, he does have a family, and he has to, y'know, eat, and sleep, and if you kill people on TV enough times they eventually arrest you. Also, he's a fucking comic, and the fact that we expect hard-hitting journalism from him is more a sign of how desperate we are for the Fourth Estate to do their job than of what his job actually entails.

Shadowen on

Or at least do air quotes every time he calls him a "historian"

• EddEdd Registered User regular

I remember the last time he was on, Jon really did try to pin him a few times. It went something like this:

J: "So, I'm pretty sure you said this really crazy thing - let me paraphrase you. Here's what I think you meant. Response?"

B: "Nope, didn't meant that at all. I actually meant almost the opposite."

J: "Oh...really?"

Repeat five or six times.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    victim complexes: the most powerful force in the universe?

Edd wrote: »

I remember the last time he was on, Jon really did try to pin him a few times. It went something like this:

J: "So, I'm pretty sure you said this really crazy thing - let me paraphrase you. Here's what I think you meant. Response?"

I think that is called "The huckabee."

Say crazy things on talk radio and then pretend like a sane person on tv.

I guess that is what really made me mad about the whole thing. Barton came out of the interview looking like a nice, religious person who was worried about his Christmas tree instead of a theocratic revisionist.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Edd wrote: »

Yeah.

The most frustrating part of the interview is in the extended section, where the guy moved from "majority rule" to "the majority can't tell anyone what to do."

Jon noticed the shift, but he wasn't able to articulate the problem.

This is why interviews need to happen with a dry erase board present, so a person's claims can be written on the board, with arrows indicating where they contradict.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    David Barton is a complete tool.

He's a man whose whole remit is to hurt people in order to increase the power of his tribe.

Edit: Such a tool

Also he's such a fucking horrible fake historian

"I have original documents!"

Oh?

The same ones everyone has? Only you choose to do absolutely no further scholarship? SO SMART

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Man Paul Ryan's 180 on Ayn Rand is Mitt Romney-level flip-flopping.

I don't even know much about Ryan personally and I even I'd heard about him passing out copies of Atlas Shrugged to his staffers.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    In interviews like that, it's so evident that Jon is just a really nice, decent guy who isn't looking for a fight. There were moments when it was clear that Jon was getting lost - getting genuinely uncertain what the two of them were even talking about anymore, and with different personalities, especially on cable, that's the sort of conversation that would easily end in some sort of confrontation, whereas Jon preferred to take a much more civil, circuitous route around his confusion. It's one thing when you can have a reasonable debate that ends in two people simply not agreeing, and it's another much more infuriating thing when one party steadfastly rejects the premise that the two are even having the same discussion.

Hard to be wrong when you're never actually discussing any one thing, ever.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    The issue isn't that they're hiding behind the fact that they're "a comedy show," they just really are a comedy show. Also, besides the negative impacts on future interview prospects, inviting someone to your show so you can humiliate them in front of your audience is something assholes do. I think if Stewart really is serious about any message on the show, it's that antagonizing people and making politics a personal fight is part of the problem. If everyone was a civil as Stewart, he wouldn't have shit to talk about.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    and then there was crossfire

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Crossfire? What's that.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    the greatest trick the devil ever pulled

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Crossfire? What's that.

Roll 212.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

Crossfire? What's that.

I saw Crossfire once. I was watching on my CRT TV, from atop my woolly mammoth.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the one and only time anyone should watch crossfire is in that clip

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    the one and only time anyone should watch crossfire is in that clip

Not to be confused with Crossfire

Which was pretty amusing and still exists.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't imagine someone as nice and non-confrontational as Jon Stewart inviting a pseudo-historian onto his show and actually calling him out on anything.

Oh wait, yes I can.

The other thing is that Barton isn't just some historian that has a conservative take on American history that deserves a respectful interview on a late night comedy show. He's actually not a historian, and has been busted multiple times for making up fake quotes to buttress his far-right Dominionist view of American history. It's like inviting the Timecube dude on and treating him like a serious scientist.

I would seriously watch The Whoremonger and the Sorcerer.

I would watch it every day!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't know much about mr Coburn

He seems entirely too reasonable for this batch of Republicans. I mean sure I still think he's wrong about priorities, but he reminds me of Republicans back in the 90's when they used to talk to democrats and meet in the middle on issues

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know much about mr Coburn

He seems entirely too reasonable for this batch of Republicans. I mean sure I still think he's wrong about priorities, but he reminds me of Republicans back in the 90's when they used to talk to democrats and meet in the middle on issues

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA
    Now normally, when Coburn cockblocks legislation, he doesn't care who knows about it. In fact right now, Senator Coburn has public holds on endangered animal protection legislation, food safety legislation, paying court-ordered settlements to African-American farmers, and allowing a private group to build a National Women's Museum, because Coburn felt women's issues were already covered by institutions like the Quilters Hall of Fame, a Cowgirl Museum, and the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens.

Also holds on Haiti relief.

And closest to Jon's heart. Coburn blocked the health care for 9/11 first responders bill because he claimed it never went through committee. Which he would know, as it was his committee! Yeah, it happened, he just didn't bother to show up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkP587O0-eU

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.