As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

• JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    That's what didn't make sense about the system; they should limit it to a certain amount per credit card

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I truly believe it is not scalping that is the cause of the quick sell-out but the fear of a fake pass scamming similar to last year.

Nothing. Matters.
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    That is fucking ridiculous, there go my plans for flying out for Prime...

• Strummer CashStrummer Cash Registered User new member
    Why not have a daily cap on the 3-day tickets that can be sold? i.e. Divide the total number of available tickets up over 14 days or 30 days. That way the OCD folks who have instant access can get in there, but the people who can't have plenty of time to try.

• hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular

they say there's a limit of 5 total per order but most weren't

• phoenix182phoenix182 Registered User regular
    *sigh* It really needs to become a Class A felony to sell tickets at more than $1 over purchase price.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

If a date had been mentioned in advance when they would go up, they would have sold out 10x faster.

No argument here. Badges are much better off showing up like the Sega Saturn, just pop out of no where one day with little to no warning. Otherwise it would be blizzcon.

This space for rent
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Why not have a daily cap on the 3-day tickets that can be sold? i.e. Divide the total number of available tickets up over 14 days or 30 days. That way the OCD folks who have instant access can get in there, but the people who can't have plenty of time to try.
    I don't claim to have a solution myself, but I don't see how penalizing the people who check the site often with limited availability is somehow "more fair" than first come first serve. Then it just comes down to who has the best internet connection and can happen to get through in the midnight-12:01 window on each of the following days.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Just to confirm, once you get the confirmation e-mail, you are set?

Just asking because I don't know if my credit card had enough funds to pay it off completely just yet.

Thanks,

Skyler.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'd say a little of column A, a little of column B.

I know a few people who were like "Crap, two of my friends said they wanted to go, but they're not answering my texts. Oh well, if they don't go, it's not like I can't get my money back."

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    hardreturn wrote: »

they say there's a limit of 5 total per order but most weren't

People need to read this tweet. I'm guessing they filtered out using the same credit card, using the same address, etc.

• GailynGailyn Registered User new member
    I am livid about the 3-days selling out within A DAY. Last year it took about two months.
    I overheard a guy from my school mentioning that PAX Registration opened today, the first thing I did was text/immediately notify all of my friends who were planning on all getting 3-days together. First thing I did when I got home was purchase the pass. Two hours later, it SELLS OUT, and my friends couldn't even buy one when they got home from college classes. That is ridiculous to me, its unfair and I am sensing a major conspiracy with pass scalpers.
    I can't even begin to properly express how absolutely absurd it is that I spent all this money/time planning for PAX with my friends only for them to give up altogether because of this.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Gailyn wrote: »
    I am livid about the 3-days selling out within A DAY. Last year it took about two months.
    I overheard a guy from my school mentioning that PAX Registration opened today, the first thing I did was text/immediately notify all of my friends who were planning on all getting 3-days together. First thing I did when I got home was purchase the pass. Two hours later, it SELLS OUT, and my friends couldn't even buy one when they got home from college classes. That is ridiculous to me, its unfair and I am sensing a major conspiracy with pass scalpers.
    I can't even begin to properly express how absolutely absurd it is that I spent all this money/time planning for PAX with my friends only for them to give up altogether because of this.

A) They're giving up over 40$?
    B) No it's not ridiculous. Supply and Demand.

Nothing. Matters.
    This is the first 3-day pass I was able to afford after attending Sunday for the past 2 years, and right when I have a bunch of friends gung-ho about going and cosplaying together, this happens.
    [/endrant]
    I know it isn't Penny Arcade's/their administrators fault, but it's just an absolutely appalling realization for me and my friends =/

• JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    Twitter feed says average 3-day pass order was only 1.74 badges per order...

• Strummer CashStrummer Cash Registered User new member
    Or you could have a special pre-sale for members of a fan club?
    gespo89 wrote: »
    I don't claim to have a solution myself, but I don't see how penalizing the people who check the site often with limited availability is somehow "more fair" than first come first serve. Then it just comes down to who has the best internet connection and can happen to get through in the midnight-12:01 window on each of the following days.

Maybe they could do a pre-sale for the hardcore PAX fans? I've seen other festivals do that with moderate success.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I don't quite understand these posts showing up already. You can all still buy 3 one-day passes. The extra 40 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to the travel/hotel expenses you are going to be paying anyway. Is it really that much of a deal breaker?

1tLJUH2O.png
    edited May 2012

Last year it took 22 days, not 2 months. PAX is popular, and there's a FINITE space available in Seattle to hold PAX. As it gets more popular, it will sell out faster. Them's the breaks.

zerzhul on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

No.

Read this:

There is no scalping, average order size is 1.74.

Also last year they sold out in 22 days, not two months.

Also buy 3 single day passes if you want to go.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TBH, if I had to give up my 3 day for 3 1 days, I would ... The price of the pass is like 5-10% of the total amount the hotel/flight/food/etc will all cost and the value you get for even the 3 1 days is just insane

edit: I realize not everyone is in the position to do the hotel/flight etc and that $40 could stretch a budget, but if it were me in that position, I'd find some way to scrounge the extra.

Alaendil on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

actually 3 days sold out in 22 days last year.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Or you could have a special pre-sale for members of a fan club?
    Maybe they could do a pre-sale for the hardcore PAX fans? I've seen other festivals do that with moderate success.

That's a terrible idea, and this coming from someone who's gone to almost every PAX since 2007

Guek on
    BigRed wrote: »

No.

Read this:

There is no scalping, average order size is 1.74.

Also last year they sold out in 22 days, not two months.

I wouldn't say that the tweet says "no scalping", but it's likely not a huge percentage of sales.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    phoenix182 wrote: »
    *sigh* It really needs to become a Class A felony to sell tickets at more than $1 over purchase price.

People can't win. Concert (and other even prices) go up because the market will bear it and people complain that the concerts are getting greedy. The market bears scalpers and people complain that prices were too cheap so as to encourage scalpers. The market will bear what the market will bear and no amount of (amusing) legislation will fix this. (Also there are several worse things that should be made Class A felonies first, like..perhaps...drunk driving, which is still in some places a class B or C).

• hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    yes, i'd def be buying 3 one days RIGHT NOW if i needed to. who the hell knows how long they'll be available.

• BoomhahaBoomhaha Registered User new member
    I think a good solution to problem of scalpers, is to have passes registered with specific names printed on them. This way it would counter scalping and allow people who want to buy a three day pass to do so. Not dsying that that is the cause of the problem but I'm RAGING cause they are all sold out!!! XD

Alright, apologies. It is just quite frustrating for some people just who weren't given a chance to get the 3-day, and I've tried convincing my friends to get 3 1-days, with little success.
    I love PAX, it's just heartbreaking is all :-S

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Well I ended up buying 3 single day passes... no idea if I'm even going for sure yet.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Holy WTF man am I glad I set an alarm to remind me to look every 2 hours and actually paid attention to it today!

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• anomalyxanomalyx Registered User regular
  • dstchiaridstchiari Registered User regular
    gespo89 wrote: »
    I don't quite understand these posts showing up already. You can all still buy 3 one-day passes. The extra 40 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to the travel/hotel expenses you are going to be paying anyway. Is it really that much of a deal breaker?

'cept it's an extra $120 for people like me. :\ On top of the $1000 hotel fee + $250 car parking fee +....
    Looks like it's gonna be PB&J every day from here on out for a while.

• KniteKnite Registered User new member
    I'm more than a little pissed about all this. I was logged on, ready to go for the original sale date and things blew up. Sure, understandable, things happen. But the only indication I ever saw of passes going back on sale was TODAY, the moment they went back on sale. How is this OK? After checking the site intermittently for the last few days, I find out from a friend that they've already gone on sale and are sold out.

I can't be the only person upset about this or the fact that I now have to spend $40 extra dollars.

In addition, when the heck are you going to start taking measures to stop scalping? There's not even a capcha on your ticket site. It would take a scalping company 20 minutes to set up a bot to purchase a hundred passes. There were tons of 3 day passes being sold last year and nearly twice the face value. Please, please think of ways around this for next year. San Diego Comic Con requires a photo ID and a scannable receipt to pick up passes and it keeps the event affordable and fair to everyone.

Just super disappointed by how this is being handled. I'm sure the scalpers are jumping for joy, though.

• Marc MadnessMarc Madness Registered User regular
    I was able to get 6 three-day badges. I'm the only responsible one in my group of friends so I am in charge of purchasing badges for our group of 6. I had to do two seperate orders but I made sure to get approval from the ticket people before I did it because I didn't want to get my order erased by having more than 5 badges paid for on the same card being sent to the same address.

I am surprised by how fast they sold out. I wonder if there are scalpers out there. I remember last year badges going for $200-$300 on eBay. I just looked on eBay and there is already a three-day badge that has 11 bids and is up to $89.00

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    anomalyx wrote: »

Nobody's saying scalpers aren't a factor. Just that the bulk of them didn't go to scalpers.

Three years ago I got a one-day pass in like late July. Then it sold out in like two months. Then 22 days last year. Now one day.

Because every year more people don't make it because they can't get badges, so they show up earlier the next year.

And yes, there is a lot of "friendly" scalping...buying passes for friends you think may want to go. I've done this the last two years.

• e_clipse_clips Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    Holy WTF man am I glad I set an alarm to remind me to look every 2 hours and actually paid attention to it today!

I've been doing the same but in the time I took to go out to dinner with my wife and son they were already sold out. its sad but if you look around they are already being resold :(

looks like its another year of 3 1 day passes for me. Just another couple shirts or a board game I wont buy this year :(

Baron+Etori.png
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    I understand the frustration, but the sad truth is that this is what happens when there is a really great thing that a lot of people want. It's not scalpers (as the official PAX tweet illustrates), but people like me who are hoping to attend their first PAX. I guess there are just more and more of us every year.

On another note, I respect the fact that the PAX crew haven't raised the registration fees. While that seems like the obvious solution, doing so will inevitably price out a lot of their fans.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    anomalyx wrote: »
    Oh my, look at this <link removed>
    Gee no scalpers out there at all.

Yep there is 2 auctions up already for passes. At least the other one the guy didn't start at $200 and he already has 14 bids on it.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, uh, that happened fast.

I had no idea the passes went on sale today; 4:15 pm is right when I'm driving home and I honestly didn't think to check the site or check my twitter feed while I was eating dinner. Take out the dog, do some cleaning around the apartment, log onto the forums and... well holy crap. Look at that.

I am kind of sad because this year I'd finally convinced several of my friends to go, which seems to only have been possible due to a lack of Blizzcon this year. Perhaps that's why the demand for PAX tickets is so high?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    People need to follow the Official PAX twitter, and set it for SMS notifications. Do it right as East ends, and you'll definitely know when they go on sale. No need to keep refreshing the PAX site or anything.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was able to get 6 three-day badges. I'm the only responsible one in my group of friends so I am in charge of purchasing badges for our group of 6. I had to do two seperate orders but I made sure to get approval from the ticket people before I did it because I didn't want to get my order erased by having more than 5 badges paid for on the same card being sent to the same address.

I am surprised by how fast they sold out. I wonder if there are scalpers out there. I remember last year badges going for $200-$300 on eBay. I just looked on eBay and there is already a three-day badge that has 11 bids and is up to $89.00

Every year I buy a bunch of passes for my group of friends as well. Nobody has money this time of year it seems :P If they bitch out I put them up for face value on craigslist.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
This discussion has been closed.