As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• PalavenPalaven CanadaRegistered User new member
    Provided I can actually go to PAX Prime (I'm really, really hoping) I'll be cosplaying Geist-Honored-Monk from MtG for sure, and quite possibly Liara T'Soni. It will probably be one of her more simpler outfits.
    Sadly, can't afford super-complex outfit on top of the flight and hotel, haha.

• HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    Perzephone wrote: »
    I remember you :D I took pics of you awesome group last year and saw you shoot with Bill Doran!

This is my Bethany :) I just did her normal one as well, I need to fix the chainmail though. I'm using actual chain and I need to make where it stays on much better.
    https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=379056728802976&set=a.364529190255730.85709.364473226927993&type=3&theater

Excellent!~ I'd love to see them sometime. :D We had such a blast doing that photo shoot. I actually got to hang out with Bill and his identical twin at PAX East dressed as Rogue and Mage Hawke which was crazy to see. We're planning to do a shoot for our Mass Effect costumes with the same photographer and I'll have some additional DA cosplayers with me (Isabela from the photo, some Grey Wardens and possibly quite a few more) so I'd imagine we might do an updated shoot if there is time.

Mine is also chain mail so I've been through the headaches of getting it to fit and stay on without constant adjustment. It's incredibly sturdy now so if you need advice just let me know and I'll be happy to help. We're both local to Seattle so it'd be easy to troubleshoot.

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    shockwaver wrote: »
    And I will be going as Carth Onasi.
    Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough, but I've never seen anyone cosplay as Carth before. Be sure to post a photo once you're ready, I'd love to see one!
    The fact that you're accompanying Revan as Carth makes it even better.

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Oh gah! The ideas and images you guys have shared already, man, I'm so pumped to see it all come to life! I still can't decide on what I'd like to do.... Any suggestions?!

• OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    Possibly bringing Guinness Man to PAX from his regular Comic Con venue
    guinnessman.jpg
    Or possibly Shuffle Bot who is still being contructed

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    Oh gah! The ideas and images you guys have shared already, man, I'm so pumped to see it all come to life! I still can't decide on what I'd like to do.... Any suggestions?!

Honestly, I'd say go for what seems like the most fun to do. The big draw to cosplay is that it's a great way to express love for a character and a series, it's an amazing creative challenge and it's a great ice breaker when it comes to talking to other fans of the same series (especially when you're shy like I am)

I saw you had mentioned Kasumi earlier which would be awesome as I think there will be a big ME presence this year and you're most welcome to come ShepShuffle with my gang. Just do what you love and/or what seems like it would be fun to tackle. It's too much of a time and money investment to do something your heart isn't in.

Hemisphere wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd say go for what seems like the most fun to do. The big draw to cosplay is that it's a great way to express love for a character and a series, it's an amazing creative challenge and it's a great ice breaker when it comes to talking to other fans of the same series (especially when you're shy like I am)

I saw you had mentioned Kasumi earlier which would be awesome as I think there will be a big ME presence this year and you're most welcome to come ShepShuffle with my gang. Just do what you love and/or what seems like it would be fun to tackle. It's too much of a time and money investment to do something your heart isn't in.

You're absolutely right! I guess something from the Gears of War or Mass Effect universes would be so awesome as I adore both. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind trying to actually create a costume from either game as I have no sewing talent. ha But I also don't want to spend so much dough buying a premade costume, not that that's bad or anything, I just wanna be able to tell folks, "Yeah, I totally made it!"

Hmmm... Thanks for the words though! Hopefully my heart lands on something awesome!

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I also don't want to spend so much dough buying a premade costume, not that that's bad or anything, I just wanna be able to tell folks, "Yeah, I totally made it!"
    I know exactly where you're coming from. Being able to say you made it, makes it personal and you can take pride in it. I love that I got questions on how I made my foam/spakling arsenal from halo. Or the tricks I learned along the way. I think making the cosplay is amazing and fun. It is its own journey that culminates at Pax when you can show off your hard work.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I also don't want to spend so much dough buying a premade costume, not that that's bad or anything, I just wanna be able to tell folks, "Yeah, I totally made it!"
    I know exactly where you're coming from. Being able to say you made it, makes it personal and you can take pride in it. I love that I got questions on how I made my foam/spakling arsenal from halo. Or the tricks I learned along the way. I think making the cosplay is amazing and fun. It is its own journey that culminates at Pax when you can show off your hard work.

And give it your best because it will definitely show. You can always tell when someone, even if they're new to cosplay, really cared about trying to give it their all. Even if it's not a perfect costume, it'll still end up looking good because of the effort.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Scrap Starburns, gotta convince my group to go as Ed, Edd and Eddy.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    yes! if you did Ed, Edd, and Eddy I would stalk you for pics. It'd be brilliant. My brother did Ed one year for Halloween and it was awesome.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    TOGSolid wrote: »

And give it your best because it will definitely show. You can always tell when someone, even if they're new to cosplay, really cared about trying to give it their all. Even if it's not a perfect costume, it'll still end up looking good because of the effort.

Thanks you guys. I passed out on it over the years simply because I felt like it would suck and people would just throw tomatoes at me haha Nowadays though, it's a more prevalent thing at cons and no matter the cosplay, seems like everyone wants to take a photo! Ah.... Ok. Kasumi it is! Must find my sewing machine.

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    @LinkSmash
    I'm glad you are doing something you will enjoy :) you should think about joining the facebook group I linked on the first post to this forum under Meetups for Mass Effect. Also can't wait for progress pocs!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
    @LinkSmash
    I'm glad you are doing something you will enjoy :) you should think about joining the facebook group I linked on the first post to this forum under Meetups for Mass Effect. Also can't wait for progress pocs!

Oh most definitely! I'd love to work out my own omni tool as well! AH!!!

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Planning on trying to put together a Vivi from final fantasy...I don't think it'll be too hard but I do want a staff and I'd like an ice version...I got plans :)...but I'm having a hard time finding clear pics of ice rods or staffs (staves)...this is a little mascot-y so I'll probably have a white mage cloak for comfort/ease of use so that I can still be super comfortable and not over heat

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    Oh most definitely! I'd love to work out my own omni tool as well! AH!!!

I'm excited to see who you choose and your progress! One thing to consider if you're daunted by sewing is the cannibalization and modification of found objects and garments. Sometimes modifying things from the thrift store can yield some really cool results. The work by Aicosu is a good example of cosplayers using garment modification http://www.aicosu.com/champhawke.html so checking out their blog and progress shots might be helpful. It's amazing what you can pull off with some imagination so don't be discouraged :)

• AlphaMikkiAlphaMikki The Emerald CityRegistered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Scrap Starburns, gotta convince my group to go as Ed, Edd and Eddy.

You can add to the points of persuasion that a random girl in the forums said they had to.

Cause you guys have to. XD That would be so hilarious!

AlphaMikki on
  • LelentalLelental Registered User regular
    Lelental wrote: »
    On Friday I'm doing Gwynevere from Dark Souls

On Saturday I'm doing Zoya from Trine 2 (would LOVE to put together a group for this!!! LF Wizard and Knight!)

On Sunday I'm being Emilia from Dance Central. My friend is going as Miss Aubrey - We'd love to get more of the group, too!!

Yay, Dance Central! I think I'll be going as Glitch all weekend (I have his crew outfit from last year's PAX, and I just recently put together his alternate outfit) and I'll probably drag my bf and friends into costumes as well, haha

HELLS YEAH! The more DC the merrier!! =D

TOGSolid wrote: »

Thanks you guys. I passed out on it over the years simply because I felt like it would suck and people would just throw tomatoes at me haha Nowadays though, it's a more prevalent thing at cons and no matter the cosplay, seems like everyone wants to take a photo! Ah.... Ok. Kasumi it is! Must find my sewing machine.

And don't forget that if you get stuck and need ideas/advice on how to do something, be sure to ask here!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey all, please see this thread and let me know your opinion. If your costume has a weapon than this thread is for you!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159715/pax-cosplayers-your-opinions-requested-about-costume-weapons#Item_1

AaronC on
  • LunchboxV3LunchboxV3 Mechanical Maniac Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    253132_10150213543025854_799380853_7238986_3173676_n.jpg

Working on the boots and modding my ID disk to stay on all the time. See you at PAX programs.

axemblack.gifaxemyellow.gifaxemred.gifaxempink.gifaxemgreen.gif
  • appletartappletart Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    vasarian wrote: »
    I did Quorra (Tron Legacy) last year's prime. I am thinking of doing Assassin's Creed - Hellequin this year. Anyone has any pointers on this Cosplay? ;)

P8270593.JPG

Eee! Hellequin is one of my dream cosplays! If you do this, I'll have to hunt you down for a photo.
    Zombicus wrote: »
    I haven't been able to purchase my badge yet, but I plan on cosplaying again this year. My last PAX was 2010 and my last time cosplaying was '09 (I was blue spy, and it was my first time cosplaying).

This year, I plan to go as Series 5 11th Doctor from Doctor Who. I had a similar worry to cloudeagle's about going as someone not specifically from a video game.
    cosplay2.jpg

Still have the patches to work on, the gold watch, and of course the hair needs to be dyed and grown out by the end of August.

I've been wanting to make the communicator the clerics use in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, but the closest thing I've done to such a prop was my Spytron 3000 from PAX09 (made out of a cigarette case and some wood veneer at the last minute). It'll be an interesting endeavor nonetheless.

You make an adorable Doctor! My boyfriend dressed up like 11 last Halloween, but I don't think he's willing to cosplay with me. Phooey. I wouldn't worry too much about not being a video game character. People dress up as all sorts of things. This year I'm doing a video game character (Theresa- Fable), a web comic character (KK- FreakAngels), and a TV character (the TARDIS- last years Halloween costume but I love it).

• DeliveratorDeliverator Registered User regular
    My friend and I are going as the Borderlands girls (me as Lilith, her as Maya).

I'm also working on Jill Valentine's Resident Evil 1 outfit.

• dstchiaridstchiari Registered User regular
    If I get off my lazy rear, I'll be a mesmer from GW2 this year. :3

• RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    So are (fake) swords not allowed at pax? The rules seem a bit grey on this issue. I could have sworn I've seen people with them before.

Also, my deckers (saints row 3) group is up to 5 people! We decided to go with nodded track suits/athletic gear instead of leather after we looked at some screenshots.

My new sewing machine shohld be here tomorrow! Exciting!

• Jerryn206Jerryn206 Registered User new member
    I'll be there in my green mmpr costume and my buddy conrad will be there in his red mmpr costume. :D

557047_3649920016327_1524273975_3158851_1805568504_n.jpg

Also, if it's finished in time, I will be cosplaying as Ryo Sanada in his Armor of Inferno from Ronin Warriors. It is being commissioned right now but who knows how long it will take.

533005_3828976492627_1524273975_3234761_1559520187_n.jpg

• MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Sewing machine... I should probably look into one of these. Last year by the time I got back to our room, my Moxxi costume was starting to fall apart because I half-assed it and put it together within the week before PAX with lots of double-sided clothing tape and such.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    Sorry, I will not be coming to PAX Prime. I tried to get passes when the server crashed and then my friend checks 12am this morning and was not being sold and then by 6pm the 3 day passes were gone. We are not buying single passes. Maybe next year but if this happens again I will not be going.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    hml151 wrote: »
    Sorry, I will not be coming to PAX Prime. I tried to get passes when the server crashed and then my friend checks 12am this morning and was not being sold and then by 6pm the 3 day passes were gone. We are not buying single passes. Maybe next year but if this happens again I will not be going.

twitter is your friend.

zerzhul wrote: »

twitter is your friend.

Can't utilize twitter while at work, unfortunately, unless I wish to be finding myself a new job wherewith to fund my attending of PAX. >.> heh.

dstchiari wrote: »

twitter is your friend.

Can't utilize twitter while at work, unfortunately, unless I wish to be finding myself a new job wherewith to fund my attending of PAX. >.> heh.

SMS alerts for twitter.

Twitter is not your friend when you are on vacation and touring Tahoe.

School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    But it is ok. I just won't spend the money this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

twitter is your friend.

SMS alerts for twitter.

Can't have the phone out while at work. :p

edited May 2012

twitter is your friend.

SMS alerts for twitter.

I used to live in that world, it sucked :P

Seriously though for those that missed out on 3-days, it does suck, but there IS a method for NEAR INSTANT notification of badges being on sale. Popular things sell out. Sometimes you won't be able to get that notification.

zerzhul on

twitter is your friend.

SMS alerts for twitter.

I used to live in that world, it sucked :P

Seriously though for those that missed out on 3-days, it does suck, but there IS a method for NEAR INSTANT notification of badges being on sale. Popular things sell out. Sometimes you won't be able to get that notification.

Yah, someday, one day, I'll have a new job, but, for now, this pays the bills and pays for PAX, and they're letting me take a week off of work even after having to miss so much work already this year, so I can't complain too much. :P

Would've been nice to not have to pay that extra $120 for the tickets for my three-man group to go, though, lol. $120 less to apply toward my costume and other misc stuff this year. xD

• NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    I shall be cosplaying Sheena Fujibayashi from Tales of Symphonia... I hope to see other Tales cosplayers as well! =)

I also did a Ty-Lee costume for Sakura Con... I might wear that. I just hate wearing wigs and having lack of pockets. And given the crowds, those costumes can be a hassle.

Hopefully I will be more inclined to finish an Anise Tatlin costume from Tales of the Abyss or Moogle Disguise Yuffie. So many unfinished costumes... so little time.

• FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    Thank goodness I was able to snag day passes for my D&D group! We won't be going Sunday, but we have a bunch of first-time con-goers and we wouldn't want to overtax them ^.^ We'll all be going as various Batman characters. We've got a Heath Ledger Joker, Dark Knight Batman, Fancy Red Penguin, Arkham City Riddler, Super!Girly Robin, and Leafy Poison Ivy. We're going less for technical accuracy and more for what's nifty and won't make us bake at the end of August. I'll be making/putting together the majority of the costumes, and right now the Batman suit terrifies me, as I have never attempted making anything from liquid latex and craft foam.

A suggestion for the other gentleman going as Riddler, use a question mark stencil and fabric paint. You can make your own stencil out of cardstock, and someone at a fabric store or craft store can help you find the right kind of fabric paint. It's what we'll be doing for our Riddler's coat and tie ^.^

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Soooo I have been debating attempting a costume this year. Sadly.. the costume I am looking to do is probably to advanced for me, but I still think i'd like to try. Worse case scenario, I do not complete it and save it for halloween or next year. Now what did I have in mind you ask? Well, I enjoy borderlands, and soon comes borderlands 2.. Not a HUGE fan of Maya for the most part but after lookin around, I noticed the DLC to be released a few months after the games release, they will be bringing a mechromancer. Bad enough I already have a sort of sick twisted love for anything pigtail... The only thing I'm thinking would actually be difficult to recreate would be her mechanical arm.

I too have been contemplating doing some cosplay for the first time and I also may be biting off more than I can chew. I'm thinking about going as the borderlands 2 gunzerker, and having my son go as claptrap. I'm also thinking about deactivating and modding some nerf guns and keeping them brightly colored.

417F8Ouu2HL._SS400_.jpg
    nerf-recon.jpg
    Gearbox-Details-the-Gunzerker-for-Borderlands-2-2.jpg

Any other borderlands 2 cosplayers?

Alika on
    You don't really need to worry about keeping them brightly coloured (though it is a Borderlands 2 thing so it's not like it'd matter if they were bright orange or whatever, lol). As long as they're deactivated you're good.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.