As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So the Trinity of Sin that spark the Trinity War thing are apparently
    Pandora who is actually Pandora from Greek Myth, The Phantom Stranger who is Judas(?) and Vic Sage aka the fucking Question who is now magical in origin and whatajsfjkajslfmka

The DCnU really needed to take a few notes from Young Justice: TAS. That's how to do a DCU that's amazing yet different from the previous DCU (or DCAU).

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I dunno, I am not a fan of Young Justice... it's basically the old DCU but executed in a really dull way.

Tairu wrote: »
    I dunno, I am not a fan of Young Justice... it's basically the old DCU but executed in a really dull way.

I like it. It may have similarities to the previous DCU, only they're executed the concepts differently. For example, Superboy.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Pandora who is actually Pandora from Greek Myth, The Phantom Stranger who is Judas(?) and Vic Sage aka the fucking Question who is now magical in origin and whatajsfjkajslfmka

Okay I guessed two of those people since the first was clear, the second was heavily implied during a conversation between them and the third....okay that just is a huh what the moment.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    How is Gail Simone's work in the new 52 DC universe? She and Scott Snyder were the only writers I cared about, and since I'm a trade waiter I haven't seen anything from her in a while. I'm still clutching that last Secret Six trade close to my heart to tide me over.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Why do I keep trying to read DC again?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Why do I keep trying to read DC again?

Swamp Thing. Animal Man. Action Comics. Flash. Batman.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The free comic book day issue is really good guys, I promise. Especially if you enjoyed JL 7 and 8.

Yeah, I know that is some weird shit, but you will have to trust me and check it out.

In other news, I had total access to all the new DC books today, but those darn customers kept me from getting a chance to read any of it.

Darn you, customers!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    is the super family one a reprint or?

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing that Earth-2 is actually pretty cool. I'm dying to be done with work so I can get to my LCS and check it out for myself. Can't remember wanting to do that for a comic in awhile.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Earth-2 surprised me

the actual apocalyptic war bullshit was really, really bad

but then after that is over and it moves on to Jay and Alan

it is promising

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Amimal Man #9 felt like it was spinning it's wheels a bit, probably because it looks like we have a crossover with JL Dark before Swamp Thing. It does confirm Morrison's run did happen, or at least the big takeaway event from his run. Pugh is working fine as the new artist, so that was a good transition.

It does confirm Morrison's run did happen, or at least the big takeaway event from his run.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA WHAT

I mean

considering his powers are so different i really figured that wasn't the case

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I like it. It may have similarities to the previous DCU, only they're executed the concepts differently. For example, Superboy.

Also for example, the Joker.

Joker.png

Ugh.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    this is what I was mean:
    Buddy meeting Morrison, that is confirmed to have happened on his way to the Red middleground, where he's going to do whatever task is needed to get back into our world/his body. He says he just thought it was a really vivid dream, but as he realizes he's in the Red Lemire gives just enough push to let Buddy realize "hey, maybe that wasn't a dream if this isn't"

That's what I consider the big thing from Morrison's run, the 4th wall breaking.

TexiKen wrote: »
    this is what I was mean:
    Buddy meeting Morrison, that is confirmed to have happened on his way to the Red middleground, where he's going to do whatever task is needed to get back into our world/his body. He says he just thought it was a really vivid dream, but as he realizes he's in the Red Lemire gives just enough push to let Buddy realize "hey, maybe that wasn't a dream if this isn't"

That's what I consider the big thing from Morrison's run, the 4th wall breaking.

HOLY BALLS

Action #9 blew me away
    Fuck I can't get over it

edited May 2012
    D-d-d-d-double post!

Tairu on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Earth-2 surprised me

it is promising

Curious as to what you didn't like about the first part. I thought it was okay, kind of like a story that got way compressed.

But I'm interested to see what happens in a world where that can happen to the Big Three.

Also interested in seeing what happens with Jay and Alan.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    Earth-2 surprised me

it is promising

Curious as to what you didn't like about the first part. I thought it was okay, kind of like a story that got way compressed.

But I'm interested to see what happens in a world where that can happen to the Big Three.

Also interested in seeing what happens with Jay and Alan.
    The dialogue and inner narration

it was James Robinson at his worst

stilted, overly formal and just terrible

CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2012

Joker.png

Ugh.

Joker isn't that bad. Still, Mark Hamill's Joker is difficult to beat. Luthor disappointed me in his debut. Felt like a non-entity, especially compared to the Clancy Brown version. But he improved immensely later on. Didn't like Young Justice's Mercy. She's been reduced to a plot device, not a character in her own right. :evil:

Harry Dresden on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    JLI is leaning back towards fun, and OMAC is being written accurately right from where he left off.

I am pleased.

World's Finest and Dial H were fantastic, and Earth 2 was pretty good as well, except for some of the narration. Also a win.

Lastly, having read the FCBD issue already, I realize that Jeff Lemire's first JLD arc is probably going to be very important to the overall DCU. So I look forward to that.

HadjiQuest on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Joker.png

Ugh.

I generally believe the Joker should never have facial hair. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Joker.png

Ugh.

Joker isn't that bad. Still, Mark Hamill's Joker is difficult to beat. Luthor disappointed me in his debut. Felt like a non-entity, especially compared to the Clancy Brown version. But he improved immensely later on. Didn't like Young Justice's Mercy. She's been reduced to a plot device, not a character in her own right. :evil:

You don't need to compare YJ's Joker to anything. It's just plain not a good portrayal. In my opinion YJ's writing seems to take awhile to lock down a characters voice. Which is why the show keeps getting better constantly as it leads up to the "confession scene". Its a very character heavy moment and they have mastered the mains by then.

Lex Luthor and Batman might be the exception. They were spot on from the second they appeared.

Quire.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Swamp Thing and Animal Man were my highlights of the week. Finding out that they were being tied in with JL Dark put me in a euphoria I have yet to come down off of.

Earth 2 was also pretty good, kinda agree that the end with Jay and Alan Scott gave the whole thing a potential that was missing from the rest of the book.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    I don't know about Earth 2 I know I was half asleep when I bought World's Finest and Dial H. I flipped through Gi Combat and bought it as well so I will give it a chance it did not look that bad

Earth two on the other hand since I was not mentally there when I got the rest I will risk it Saturday and see since I am going in the morning and not the afternoon
    I was suprised hastings had Dial H since they have a real hard time keeping in stock some of the other comics or just don't carry them

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, the majority of Earth 2 was a little dull. I came out enjoying it, but that was mostly for seeing Jay and Alan- and the little things, like the Roman pantheon as opposed to the main Earth's Greek pantheon, and Earth-2 Robin.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'm cool with Superman and Batman but why Wonder Woman

Is Wonder Woman really that overused?

Meanwhile, Action Comics #9 is the best thing since sliced bread

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

Joker.png

Ugh.

I generally believe the Joker should never have facial hair. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

It's David Tennant. Certainly, that's been observed already.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me how World's Finest was? I am kind of excited.

huntresssig.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's really stupid for them to trot out Apokolips as just a big bad that threatens the world with a massive invasion.

Yes, Darkseid is incredibly powerful but he's calculating mastermind. He influences events indirectly through manipulation and subterfuge. He would never reveal his involvement so brazenly.

What's worse is that they have a chance to create a new dynamic with Apokolips/Darkseid. With the reboot, no one knows about Apokolips, New Genesis, or the New Gods. So why would Darkseid immediately reveal himself as a bad guy and an enemy of humanity? It just makes no sense.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    It's really stupid for them to trot out Apokolips as just a big bad that threatens the world with a massive invasion.

Yes, Darkseid is incredibly powerful but he's calculating mastermind. He influences events indirectly through manipulation and subterfuge. He would never reveal his involvement so brazenly.

What's worse is that they have a chance to create a new dynamic with Apokolips/Darkseid. With the reboot, no one knows about Apokolips, New Genesis, or the New Gods. So why would Darkseid immediately reveal himself as a bad guy and an enemy of humanity? It just makes no sense.

Well JL 1-6 made it pretty clear he wanted Superman for some reason.

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how World's Finest was? I am kind of excited.

I enjoyed it. Both characters came off as interesting and likable. Their banter sounded pretty believable for two best friends. I dig buddy books, so I'm onboard with this one for the forseeable future.

Perez's art was pretty good too, PG looked a lot better than I thought she would. Huntress looked a little strange in certain panels, but I think Perez is experimenting with giving them very distinct looks.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So...
    is Huntress from the earlier 6 issue series officially the same person as Earth-2 Helena? And wouldn't Powergirl be genetically identical to the Supergirl arriving on Earth-1 X years from then? Also, not really sure how Helena managed to get money from a Wayne fund if she doesn't exist on Earth-1, or how Kara had the ability to turn that into a billion dollar tech empire.

Zyrxil on
    I don't know if they're going to go into this later in the series, but
    Robinson in an interview made an offhand comment about the Wayne ATM code being the same for both Bruces. Maybe he uses the anniversary of his parents' murder as his PIN? Dunno.

And yeah, PG and SG are pretty much identical in the same way all the other parallel universe dopplegangers are.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    So...
    is Huntress from the earlier 6 issue series officially the same person as Earth-2 Helena? And wouldn't Powergirl be genetically identical to the Supergirl arriving on Earth-1 X years from then? Also, not really sure how Helena managed to get money from a Wayne fund if she doesn't exist on Earth-1, or how Kara had the ability to turn that into a billion dollar tech empire.
    Kara is assumedly as smart as Superman. If Superman wasn't busy punching things, and faking a life, he could get some things done.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    I was also curious about
    the device she is building and hints about Mister Terrific is it the one from the current universe or the one she came from? I know they tried to talk to Superman of the one they are in now because he did not take it well from thier conversation on the street

Zyrxil wrote: »
    So...
    Kara is assumedly as smart as Superman. If Superman wasn't busy punching things, and faking a life, he could get some things done.

I'd also add to that,
    in her previous series, she's been shown to have a good mind for business. She's been the CEO of her own successful company in the past. I'm just assuming they're still making that part of her core character and carried it over.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was also curious about
    the device she is building and hints about Mister Terrific is it the one from the current universe or the one she came from? I know they tried to talk to Superman of the one they are in now because he did not take it well from thier conversation on the street

They don't say anything like that on the street; they're talking about stuff that happened on Earth-2.

Zyrxil on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Should I read the Huntress mini before Worlds Finest? I keep meaning to buy it but this would give me a good excuse if it ties in at all.

This discussion has been closed.