As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yet another show where I have a "is there any way that would hold up in court" response to the resolution. Seriously, threatening a confession out of a guy?

That was my initial response, too. I mean, they trick plenty of suspects into confessing, but I don't recall them ever outright threatening a suspect's life to get a confession.

And then there was the fact that quite a few witnesses could place him there. They had motive and opportunity. I have trouble believing they'd be better off beating a confession out of him, rather than building their case on the mountain of evidence and witnesses, which would surely be enough to get a search warrant and probably find the matching drugs hidden away in his apartment.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Also, where was the chief? Seemed like just the thing she would go ape shit over.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The chief couldn't handle how stupid the entire zombie angle was and left. The only thing redeeming it slightly (and proof that someone realized as they were shooting it was a little too goofy so quickly scribbled it in/ad-libbed it) was Castle's aside to Ryan about only doing it to annoy Beckett. Even the case-talk-leading-into-us-talk seemed forced, but maybe that was just my view on the rest of the episode tainting it.

I was so hoping Kate would shoot someone in the leg or something when the mob showed up. Or at least in the air. Yelling at them wasn't good enough.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The chief couldn't handle how stupid the entire zombie angle was and left. The only thing redeeming it slightly (and proof that someone realized as they were shooting it was a little too goofy so quickly scribbled it in/ad-libbed it) was Castle's aside to Ryan about only doing it to annoy Beckett. Even the case-talk-leading-into-us-talk seemed forced, but maybe that was just my view on the rest of the episode tainting it.

I was so hoping Kate would shoot someone in the leg or something when the mob showed up. Or at least in the air. Yelling at them wasn't good enough.

Wtf, you don't shoot a zombie in the leg. Headshot! Headshot!

I really didn't like this episode. It seemed to try too hard with the wacky crime plot, and there were, quite frankly, a number of things that went unanswered, like how did one guy in a zombie costume take take out two besuited stock traders, or how the zombie guy appeared dead for however many hours it took to get him onto the mortuary table, or why the guy's walking around free and clear if the charges haven't been dropped yet, or what happened to the murderer's "checked out" alibi of being at the law library at the time. Also, highly doubtful a "mind control" drug exists. And then trying so hard to wrap up the Alexis and Beckett plotlines before the end of the season, so very super hard that without even looking I'm guessing this was probably the penultimate episode of the season.

hippofant on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Scopolamine is a very real drug, that is sometimes used as a recreational hallucinogen. The mind control aspect is a new portrayal for it though, I believe. Typically its used as a form of truth serum in movies, tv, and spy novels.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    In smaller doses it is also used to control excessive saliva.

The confession was something I thought about then just made myself stop thinking about it. Never considered the whole "how did one zombie-guy take out two suited guys" angle.

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I loved the one-liners by Castle. My favorite was "Our killer's a zombie!" followed by the random person giving him a high-5

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    The character's and dialog kept me in the episode. Outside of the rather inane plot, this is the most "Castle" castle has felt in a long time.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I swore I heard a small Firefly reference when he talked about "coming at the guy sideways" instead of head on.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    I swore I heard a small Firefly reference when he talked about "coming at the guy sideways" instead of head on.
    Me too

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Why is the thread title what it is?

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

The voice actor for Garrus had a role on the show. He was the guy who chained himself to the radiator.

He should have been calibrating something. Missed opportunity.

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I loved the one-liners by Castle. My favorite was "Our killer's a zombie!" followed by the random person giving him a high-5

YES!

This made me laugh really hard.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Me too

I'm not sure that was a reference. I mean, coming at someone sideways is an old saying. It's a little too general to really be considered a reference.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

The voice actor for Garrus had a role on the show. He was the guy who chained himself to the radiator.

Really? First thing I did when I saw the title was check IMDB, his page doesn't list Castle.

Or, at least, it didn't when I checked it, I see it there now. Either that, or I was blind or high or something that night.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Me too

I'm not sure that was a reference. I mean, coming at someone sideways is an old saying. It's a little too general to really be considered a reference.
    Maybe more a nudge/wink from Fillion than a full on quote/reference.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Really? First thing I did when I saw the title was check IMDB, his page doesn't list Castle.

Or, at least, it didn't when I checked it, I see it there now. Either that, or I was blind or high or something that night.

Yeah, it might have been slow to be updated. Also because he didn't sound like Garrus at all when he was screaming.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Yeah, it might have been slow to be updated. Also because he didn't sound like Garrus at all when he was screaming.

That's because Garrus doesn't scream. He's too much of a fucking badass.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Less than one hour until the season finale.

Anyone want to place some pre-show predictions on how this season will end and what sort of cliffhanger they will leave us with for the next 4 months?

My guess:
    The episode ends with a kiss between Castle & Beckett. Next season will explore their relationship as they continue to try to work together with the extra layer of intimacy added into the mix.

• PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I just hope that
    Castle or Beckett don't get kidnapped or something along those lines, where one is in a race to rescue the other ... I guess they would have done that previously in last week's episode, but still.

That would be a royal kick in the sack.

As far as to what Lucascraft said
    They've already kissed haven't they? I seem to recall that in season 1 or 2 to play off the image of boyfriend/girlfriend at one point. I'm more or less hoping for her to say I love you back to Castle.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I live in Kansas. And that driver's licence they showed doesn't look anything at all like a Kansas DL.

• PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    That's close enough for me.

Good episode, the whole
    Hey, Beckett isn't a fucking cop anymore

should be interesting to see how it plays out next season ... overall happy with the episode though.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    That's close enough for me.

Good episode, the whole
    Hey, Beckett isn't a fucking cop anymore

should be interesting to see how it plays out next season ... overall happy with the episode though.

It'll play out just like:
    House not being a doctor. It will last for an episode or two then it's back on the force.

Yeah, that won't last. She'll not be a cop almost as much she would have taken that swan dive.

Glad they didn't (so far) try and split them apart. Kind of hard to buy Castle would just up and walk away at this point, but I was half thinking they're go with it for another season or half until the phone call at the end.

How am I the only one worried about Ryan and Javi's breakup?

edited May 2012
    Suppose they may spin that into the new drama assuming they don't mess with Castle and Beckett. But Javi (and Beckett) were kind of living in dream land. They can't take on whoever is behind this by themselves. Javi should realize that, Kate (at least for now, it wont last, she'll swing way back from not caring...) kinda sorta did. I mean if Ryan has listened to them Kate would be dead. So I don't expect that breakup to last any longer than Kate being a civilian. In fact, it be worse if it outlasted Kate's unemployment.

Xeddicus on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    What a dick that guy Ryan is, what with being newly married, and wanting to do things by the book, and saving Beckett's life. What a horrible horrible person.

Well, it was more the odds against them that put him in the right than the fact it was by the book. Kate had a point about that screwing them over, it just gets buried under all the other details she's in denial about. Kind of odd Javi was so gung ho, but then he was also the one to have a problem accepting the Captain as not squeaky clean, too.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about the final scene. For two reasons, one major and one minor.
    In a weird sort of way, I felt like Castle was taking advantage of Beckett in that last scene. Yes, it's what they both want, and finally she's able to admit it, but she's in a really, really fragile state at the moment. It's like rebound sex after a bad breakup. I'm not saying kicking her out the door or even turning it down would be healthier, but it felt a little creepy to me. I mean, I'm happy that it happened, I'm hopeful that the relationship will be able to finally move forward, it just felt a little off.

My second complaint is that Alexis is apparently away, and who knows when she'll be back in. Like I said, minor complaint. It may yet happen at the start of the next season, but I really want Alexis to discover that her father and Kate are sleeping together through Kate walking out of the bedroom wearing one of Castle's shirts, or her father getting out of the washroom having obviously just had a shower, and then Kate getting out of the washroom right after him, also obviously having just had a shower. Or something along those lines. Basically, I want that moment of stunned surprise followed by a "OH, THANK GOD, IT FINALLY HAPPENED" where she acts as an audience stand-in.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about the final scene. For two reasons, one major and one minor.
    In a weird sort of way, I felt like Castle was taking advantage of Beckett in that last scene. Yes, it's what they both want, and finally she's able to admit it, but she's in a really, really fragile state at the moment. It's like rebound sex after a bad breakup. I'm not saying kicking her out the door or even turning it down would be healthier, but it felt a little creepy to me. I mean, I'm happy that it happened, I'm hopeful that the relationship will be able to finally move forward, it just felt a little off.

My second complaint is that Alexis is apparently away, and who knows when she'll be back in. Like I said, minor complaint. It may yet happen at the start of the next season, but I really want Alexis to discover that her father and Kate are sleeping together through Kate walking out of the bedroom wearing one of Castle's shirts, or her father getting out of the washroom having obviously just had a shower, and then Kate getting out of the washroom right after him, also obviously having just had a shower. Or something along those lines. Basically, I want that moment of stunned surprise followed by a "OH, THANK GOD, IT FINALLY HAPPENED" where she acts as an audience stand-in.
    Literally right before Beckett shows up Castle is on the phone with Alexis saying he'll pick her up at noon because she is at the all night party after graduating.

Magell on
    Talking about the episode with my wife and I realized that Ryan
    told the chief everything. I was kinda just thinking that he told her what was going on with Kate and Espo at the guys apartment, but then I realized with the 'withholding evidence" bit Ryan most likely ratted out Montgomery, and told the new Chief everything. Which makes me wonder why he didn't get busted for hiding that for a year.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Hard to say if he told her about Montgomery. If he DID than I can see Javi being pissed at him for awhile. There's no real reason to do that. Montgomery doesn't need to be involved to have files on the goings on, so if Ryan did bring him into it he better have left out parts.

As for the last scene, they could very well spin it out into a mistake, but it's not like Castle did anything to encourage her. And no one was drunk and it wasn't a spur of the moment thing or even that much of a emotional shock prior to the moment. Castle was bummed out avoiding her, Kate was taking her time thinking things through and moping.

But yeah, regardless of Alexis' current location come next episode something like what Shadowhope said needs to happen.

Xeddicus on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Ending spoiler:
    YAY!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I would think the withholding evidence bit was a reference to the DNA match that showed that the guy who killed the thief was the guy who shot Beckett. That was the piece of info she insisted on hiding from the captain first, so that she wouldn't get pulled off the case. That's all Ryan would need to share with the captain, he wouldn't need to explain about Montgomery at all.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Good episode. Almost felt like a series finale so maybe they thought they might get cancelled, woulda been a good way to end it really.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    There's no way Ryan told Gates everything. If he did, they all would have been fired and probably prosecuted for participating in a criminal coverup that involved the death of a cop. Even Ryan. Not just a simple suspension.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Literally right before Beckett shows up Castle is on the phone with Alexis saying he'll pick her up at noon because she is at the all night party after graduating.

Yeah, like I said, she's away. Still, there's hope that she might get a drive home and surprise her father, or Castle might be very busy and forgot to pick her up, or the scenario I described above could happen at a later time, or something. Basically, I will be very sad if it happens off-screen, or someone just tells her.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    What are the odds that, regardless the situation, she happily runs up and hugs both of them?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    That might be how they get around it for another season.
    First scene of next season: Alexis comes home at the same moment we left them off at, so its interrupted, then more drama things happen which delays it since the act will take at least something out of the chemistry.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum