As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Authenticator are necessary because of blizzards stupid password policies. Namely, no lockouts for brute forces, no case sensitivity, and until recently they only checked the first X characters in a password.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I had my WoW account hacked/intruded/whatever'd long after I was done playing. I didn't even have playtime on my account. Somehow they got access, added a fake credit card, and sold all my gear. Afterwards, Blizzard tried to get me to pay for the chargeback on the fake credit card or I wouldn't be allowed access to my account. I was able to provide evidence that it wasn't me but I don't want to go through anything like that again. The authenticator will stay even if it is a bit of a nuisance. That was a few years ago though, it sounds like they've bumped up the security lately. I really like the mobile alerts.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Authenticator are necessary because of blizzards stupid password policies. Namely, no lockouts for brute forces, no case sensitivity, and until recently they only checked the first X characters in a password.

Wait, seriously? No wonder so many people got their accounts hacked.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • GorelabGorelab Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Holy shit. I thought you were bullshitting about the no case sensitivity and only checking the first x characters of the password thing but I tried it myself and both are still true. What the hell.

Oh they don't seem to check some of it until after authing in for some reason even though checking other parts pre-auth.

Gorelab on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/forum-login-issues

"If your password is more than 15 characters in length or contains symbols (_#$&^%), you will want to choose a new password."

WTF?

Ok, I take back what I said about my game accounts being more secure than bank accounts.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    Oh hey, new monk animations. Thats awesome, that was one of my few complaints with the game.

and buy yourself(or use the mobile phone authenticator.) I had my wow account hacked twice without one, and one of my friends had his entire guild bank stolen because of it. Extra security is not a bad thing when its free(at least for the phone authentication.)

jAhPU.jpg
    Gorelab wrote: »

Holy shit. I thought you were bullshitting about the no case sensitivity and only checking the first x characters of the password thing but I tried it myself and both are still true. What the hell.

Oh they don't seem to check some of it until after authing in for some reason even though checking other parts pre-auth.

Yeah, it's kinda silly. The no lockout thing really grinds my gears, since it just lets the Chinese pound away at your password until they get in...

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Gorelab wrote: »

Yeah, it's kinda silly. The no lockout thing really grinds my gears, since it just lets the Chinese pound away at your password until they get in...

yo that's racist

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    Probably posted:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4253973263?page=16#314

They created a buncha new animations for a few of the Monk's skills so you can see the weapons.

Wow. Hey, good on them. I would have never expected this, but that's fantastic that they're doing it. Any other game company probably couldn't because they would be constrained by resources. Or if they had the resources, they wouldn't because it simply wasn't a priority for them.

Say what you will about Blizzard, but the one thing I've always found is that if there is a way they can give the fans what they want, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wtf. A new TV spot everyday?

Edit - God that freeze frame is fucking awesome.

KoopahTroopah on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    They reset the d2 ladder today, if anyone feels like giving it one more go.

I had some fun last season by finally making some serious attempts at a hardcore character. :mrgreen:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    AH, darn, it's just the same D3 commercial that's been making the rounds on Comedy Central and Cartoon Network all day.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was at lunch the other day and saw a Diablo 3 commercial on ESPN. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as WoW commercials have aired on pretty much every channel at some point.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SupersplinesSupersplines Registered User regular
    Calling it now:
    Lachdanan is the butcher.
    You heard it here first.

Bonne Wii Monsieur Playstation, bonne wii...
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    Calling it now:
    You heard it here first.

I seem to recall that
    Lachdanan (or someone similar) was a knight type character in the lower levels of Hell in Diablo 1 - which also featured as a separate character - the Butcher. I would be surprised if they are now combining the two.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I quite like the look and feel of the Wizard, but try as I might I was not that excited about the skill builds I had in mind. Then I was poking around at the skills, and I noticed some of them have some nifty effects or increased damage when something random happens.

So I came up with a build I call "Accidents Happen."

It's main focus is 1) random shit happens and is awesome, 2) things exploding when they die and 3) increasing damage and AP regeneration. Could be really hilarious.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wtf. A new TV spot everyday?

Edit - God that freeze frame is fucking awesome.

That's a damn fine freeze frame.

Do we know how many TV spots they're doing?

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just looked at the Barbarian skills. It... it can be a zealer! That was my favorite class to play as in Diablo 2. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! But I also like the Demon Hunter. I don't know what to do anymore!

I'm not seeing many people choosing the Demon Hunter in the PA list, though, so that will likely be my first choice.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SupersplinesSupersplines Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »
    Calling it now:
    You heard it here first.

I seem to recall that
    Lachdanan (or someone similar) was a knight type character in the lower levels of Hell in Diablo 1 - which also featured as a separate character - the Butcher. I would be surprised if they are now combining the two.

:( Just looked up Lachdanan in Diablo1, you are right. And I, humbly, am wrong. Man I wanted that to be true so hard.

Bonne Wii Monsieur Playstation, bonne wii...
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    How did you guys not know who Lachdanan was? For shame.

Also I may or may not have a Diablo 3 countdown clock running on my Logitech G15.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    Sweet. Blizzard (physical) authenticator ordered! US$6.50.
    and $US20 for shipping...

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    I dont agree at all with the Blizzard high-heels design for women. I can accept/ignore the sexyfication: less armour for women than men, but wearing high heals for an agile, somersaulting, backflipping ninja just don't work for me.

That isn't really a problem in Diablo 3

diablo-3-demon-hunter-class-artwork-small.jpg

Too bad no-one showed the concept art to the guy who made the in-game models:

Screen-Shot-2012-04-22-at-6.35.41-PM.png

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    I dont agree at all with the Blizzard high-heels design for women. I can accept/ignore the sexyfication: less armour for women than men, but wearing high heals for an agile, somersaulting, backflipping ninja just don't work for me.

That isn't really a problem in Diablo 3

diablo-3-demon-hunter-class-artwork-small.jpg

Too bad no-one showed the concept art to the guy who made the in-game models:

Screen-Shot-2012-04-22-at-6.35.41-PM.png
    wha?

those just aren't the same armor models

i believe in a panel they showed off the legendary sets or whatever, and the demon hunter's looked like the concept art pretty much

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And she's not exactly in a bikini either, anyway...not that it matters if she was. Barbarian is running around in a speedo practically.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I think Morran is mostly referring to the high heels

Which I think are fine

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    It keeps her...

on her toes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She needs a little help getting her hatred going, sometimes.

At least, no matter how legendary the armour, her vag remains remarkably unarmored... :)

2uenpg3.png

yeah, for an agile ranged combatant, she's wearing too much armor overall

oh wait the point is the style/cool factor

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man I wonder if it's worth paying the extra £15 to download direct so I'm guaranteed for launch.

I mean I don't see why a boxed copy won't arrive on the Monday and it's only a few hours I guess, buuuuut.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Obnoxious lore question follows:

Heaven and Hell aren't part of the human afterlife in the Diablo universe, right? So why is Hell filled with suffering human souls?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Big spoiler for anyone wanting to be surprised by unlock 10. On the other hand, I love Aeon Flux. So glad Peter Chung is involved in this.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Heaven and Hell aren't part of the human afterlife in the Diablo universe, right? So why is Hell filled with suffering human souls?

I don't think they're necessarily human souls.

The Book of Cain notes that certain factions of Hell enjoy tormenting and torturing their own kind as much as anyone else.

Edit: also what Zek said.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I don't think they're necessarily human souls.

The Book of Cain notes that certain factions of Hell enjoy tormenting and torturing their own kind as much as anyone else.

I'm guessing they're humans whose souls were somehow captured down there. In the words of the man himself, "not even death can save you from me".

edited May 2012
    Bashiok tried to offer some more clarity on the forums about RMAH in reply to how "expensive" the rates are:
    As others have pointed out there's a $1 transaction for any item such as armor, weapons, etc. which is only taken if the item sells. So that's the flat $1 fee for those types of items, and honestly I would personally expect most people to be interested in both selling and buying these types of character improvements.

Separately, there is a 15% transaction fee for any commodities (again, only if they sell), which are items that stack such as gems and gold. We take a percentage due to the way commodity sales work. You can put up 50,000 gold for sale, and because people can buy portions of commodity auctions, one person may buy 10,000, another may buy 30,000 and maybe nobody buys the remaining 10,000. Instead of charging $1 per transaction, which certainly wouldn't be fair to the seller in the case of commodities as they have no control over how many different people may buy from their auction, we go with a percentage. If that original 50,000 goes up for say $5, there would be a $0.45 fee on the 30,000, and a $0.15 fee for the 10,000, totaling a $0.60 fee for the sales that occurred.

Just to be triply clear, these fees only happen if the item sells. Putting an item or stack of items up to see if it/they will sell doesn't have any inherent risks, and is a good way to get some Battle.net Balance built up. You can sell items you don't want, and then get something to spend on something you do want.

PayPal will not charge any fees for transfers to them. You'll pay a 15% transfer fee to move any funds to your PayPal account, and then whatever you do with the money after that is between you and them. But the transfer to PayPal is 15%, and that's it.

Hopefully that clears things up if you haven't seen the chart I embedded here a couple pages ago.

Also...(spoiled for size)
    HBP8V.jpg

Looks like the game is already pressed and printed/being shipped to retailers.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A kerfuffle about high heels? We really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for controversies, huh.

There are reasons that a character artist might incorporate high heels into a design other than to oppress and objectify women or whatever.

How about the reason that actual women wear high heels-- to seem taller and give an impression of a more lithe figure. Standing on the balls of one's feet can also give the sense of being in a ready and athletic stance, or is reminiscent of the shape of digitgrade legs. There is an almost predatory connotation there.

All of that seems pretty conceptually consistent with the idea of a Demon Huntress as an imposing and agile killer.

Scosglen on
  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    So, I hadn't read/heard of this from offical sources but since everyone on these forums are talking about it...

Do you HAVE to have an authentictor to play D3? And if so, is there a way to fake the mobile app into thinking my computer is a smartphone (so I don't have to pay for either shipping of the physical one or the phone for the app)?

steam_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Or the artists just thought it would look neat.

This discussion has been closed.