As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    You forgot being all grimacing and moody all the time too.

People are big on that.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Where does Batman and Robin fit into this

What I am asking is should I be reading Batman and Robin

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Yes. Batman and Robin is pretty good, although this first arc has been decompressed like woah.

Tomasi's GLC opener was also really decompressed, but also completely terrible.

It's strange because Tomasi's stories usually move a lot faster and have more going on.

Wait for the trade of issues 1-8, and then jump on with issue 9 during Night of the Owls. Hopefully it will pick up with the second arc, and the first arc will read much better collected.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    IMO, B&R is easily the #2 Bat-book, in terms of quality. Both the art and the storytelling have been pretty top notch.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    2279420-bmcinc3_cover.jpeg
    Batman Inc. 3

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    holy crap yes Matches Malone

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    IMO, B&R is easily the #2 Bat-book, in terms of quality. Both the art and the storytelling have been pretty top notch.

This is logical and I support it as truth.

Also: More Matches Malone!

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there a story arc a while back where the real Matches Malone turned up in Gotham? What happened with that? (It's probably been retconned by now or something but I'm still curious.)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a story arc a while back where the real Matches Malone turned up in Gotham? What happened with that? (It's probably been retconned by now or something but I'm still curious.)

Are you thinking of False Faces?

• The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »

At the beginning I thought it was actually better than Batman, but then Batman went from good to crazy goddamn awesome.

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Honestly, the two have been very close for me in terms of quality. Batman is really awesome right now, but I really really like Damian, so I found the last arc of B&R to be really interesting. I'd really have trouble determining which one I like better.

edited April 2012
    Dp

Maratastik on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    For me though, Batman even had the more meaningful scene with Damian. In issue 5 that broke my heart!

B&R #8 ends the arc the way it should end, where
    Nobody is dead (Damian finger banged his head, (no really, he jammed his fingers into Ducard's brain), and while the two are recovering Bruce and Damian have a good talk where Bruce doesn't go all high and mighty, and basically accepts that Damian screwed up, Damian knows he screwed up in an attempt to find his own identity yet still be like his dad, and it works out.

I know Bruce will never kill, but it is nice to see him acknowledge that everybody else gets a mulligan and doesn't look to really waggle the finger of disappointment at Damian or possibly others.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was curious how the ending of #7 was going to be handled and it was handled perfectly.

Seriously....issue 8 was fantastic. With that ending I think B&R is my favorite opening arc in the new DCU.

• The CannonThe Cannon Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    Seriously....issue 8 was fantastic. With that ending I think B&R is my favorite opening arc in the new DCU.

It's pretty much exactly what needed to happen. You really get a sense of that father-son dynamic between Bruce and Damian. I'm really interested to see where they're going to go with those two. Damian is trying to overcome his own demons to be more like his father and Bruce is trying to learn how to be the father he never had while still remaining true to his creed as the Batman.

Not sure if spoiler, but to be safe,
    The whole thing about Bruce finally letting go of his past with his own parents in order to become a better parent himself is super interesting. Considering that's all that made him Batman, him trying to let go of all that bitterness and regret to do better for his son is really cool. Though I do find it strange that all of his other surrogate sons (Dick, Jason, and Tim) didn't prompt him to do that even though they had a psuedo-parent child dynamic.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    The Cannon wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »

It's pretty much exactly what needed to happen. You really get a sense of that father-son dynamic between Bruce and Damian. I'm really interested to see where they're going to go with those two. Damian is trying to overcome his own demons to be more like his father and Bruce is trying to learn how to be the father he never had while still remaining true to his creed as the Batman.

Not sure if spoiler, but to be safe,
    The whole thing about Bruce finally letting go of his past with his own parents in order to become a better parent himself is super interesting. Considering that's all that made him Batman, him trying to let go of all that bitterness and regret to do better for his son is really cool. Though I do find it strange that all of his other surrogate sons (Dick, Jason, and Tim) didn't prompt him to do that even though they had a psuedo-parent child dynamic.

You could look at it that way. Or it could also be:
    that it's been an evolutionary process for Bruce. I know my parents made a lot more mistakes with me (oldest child) than with my siblings. Of all 4 Father-Son relationships Bruce has, his dynamic with Dick is probably the most "high functioning" in some ways, but even more dysfunctional in other ways than his relationship with Jason.

You could view it as Damien benefitting from lessons learned from Bruce's other relationships.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Hasn't Tim usually been portrayed as having the closest to a father/son relationship with Bruce?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Lee Garbett is drawing Batman and Robin #9.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    That doesn't surprise me, 8 issues for Gleason with only one inker and then a fill-in. It kind of syncs up with his GLC work, I think he went 10 issues in a row during Blackest Night.

I do hate DC (and Marvel) pulling this stuff at the last minute, before order cutoffs. Looks like Capullo is the last man standing in the bat-verse.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Jesus Saiz has gone 8 straight on BoP, so if he keeps going on wherever he got swapped to he's still in the running.

Speaking of BoP, the swap from 7 ending on a cliffhanger to an unrelated one-shot for 8 was a little jarring.

huntresssig.jpg
    DC threw the Back up of Batman #8 online/comixology for free as a Night of the Owls Primer https://read.dccomics.com/comixology/#/view/24517/Batman-Night-of-the-Owls-Booklet-1

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So wait, I'm a little confused.

I started reading Batman with the Batman and Son arc because Damian seemed pretty cool and I didn't have nearly enough Batman stuff. So I got the 3 Batman and Robin volumes and just got Dark Knight, White Knight Because I heard it was the last of the Dick and Damian partnership.

So what comes after that? On amazon I found Batman Incorporated v1, The Court of Owls, and Batman and Robin (new 52). Do they follow any kind of order, or they kind of happen at the same time, or what? I'm used to buying Ultimate Spider-Man where there is one book and it is numbered for my convenience.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Well Batman Inc Volume 1 would be the next stuff after what you just read. Then the new 52 happened and a new writer took over Batman, and Batman and Robin. The final chapter of what you had read will start in May when Batman Inc starts again.

Okay cool, thanks.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2012
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Okay cool, thanks.

If you like Damian you should really read Batman and Robin 1-8. It is FANTASTIC. It also lays the groundwork for Bruce's and Damian's relationship. Also, Batman is really good too...but only one or two pages (I think) of Damian.

Maratastik on
    I'll probably end up getting both then. I'm a big fan of Damian, but I also love seeing Bruce work solo.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Against my better judgment, I'm buying into all the Night of the Owls books.

This week, I was really impressed with Batwing. I gave up on the series after three or four issues, and I probably won't pick it back up, but as a crossover side-story, it was good, and I like Marcus To's art.

Detective Comics, however, has retained its same level of bad. Tony Daniel's Batman is really off-putting. He's just wall-to-wall grit.

edited May 2012
    Batman #9 Preview

batman-9_01_1000.jpg

batman-9_02-03_1000.jpg

batman-9_04_1000.jpg

batman-9_05_1000.jpg

O_O
    That double page spread!

UltimateInferno on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    holy fucking shit

I like the golden age Iron Man teeth on the armor, and the nice head holding grooves above the hands, one size fits all.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    I burned out on comics for a few months, trying to take in all the new DCU stuff at once, but now I've caught up on, at least, Snyder's Batman. I never read Gates of Gotham, how related did that turn out to be to the current Court of Owls stuff? Is the relation/groundwork interesting and fun enough to go back for it?

Batman #9 question for longtime bat-fans:
    Alfred's Dad, I don't remember much of him before the reboot, is he relatively new here (and is Jarvis really his name or a nod to Jarvis in Avengers?). I know with the sliding timeline they had to make Alfred not be a WWII dude who served since Bruce was a baby, I'm just trying to piece together where things stood for the big secret.

And one thing I liked about the issue, and hope it doesn't change, was that
    March was a good guy all along, even with his dying words he kept balancing the idea he would be the evil mastermind or bad guy but he was still helping out. Hopefully Snyder doesn't do another twist and have him be the bad guy all along who was only made to look dead, etc.

So on Alfred
    The part with him being a stage actor who left a promising career to come serve the Waynes has been part of his mythos for awhile. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've actually seen (or heard the name of) his dad though.

I'm very much enjoying how all the tie-ins are working together, which I thought would be annoying at first. For example,
    Bruce mentions there being an Owl-symbol above Gotham. I was confused on that until I read Batgirl. I'm looking forward to collecting all the tie-ins and reading them according to the "Time-stamps" they have at the beginning of each issue.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'm really liking Damien lately. I think he is ready to carry his own book now, and not have it seem like ass compared to Tim Drake's Robin series.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I picked up Batman and Robin volume 3 at the local comics store today, and I was really surprised to see they already have a hardcover collection of the Court of Owls stuff in.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    DC pushed forward a bunch of trades in the schedule considering how much they tied into upcoming events. Not too surprising.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    br7mB.jpg
    Batman Inc. 4
    • BATMAN and TALIA AL GHUL continue their fight for control of their son DAMIAN – better known as ROBIN!
    • WINGMAN and REDBIRD descent upon GOTHAM CITY! Who are these heroes, and what is their relationship to THE DARK KNIGHT?
    This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

So,
    Mystery Man
    as Wingman and Damian as...Redwing?

EDIT: I can't read, tonight.

Linespider5 on