As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Non-Gaming Things to do in Seattle before/during/after PAX

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I was going to say the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum is loads of fun. Heck just taking the monorail to get to the Seattle Center is good cheap dorky fun. Downtown Seattle is a very busy place, all kinds of people coming and going. Some people just like to head to the shopping district and people watch, lots of um..... "interesting" people out there.

Isn't Bumbershoot up that way that weekend? Sure to be a zoo, but cool.

• Options
    2spock2spock Registered User regular
    there is a seattle city pass you can buy i think it is like 70 dollars:

CityPASS gives you admission to 6 must-see
    Seattle attractions

Space Needle
    Seattle Aquarium
    Argosy Cruises Seattle Harbor Tour
    Pacific Science Center
    Experience Music Project Museum/science fiction museum.
    Woodland Park Zoo
    OR
    The Museum of Flight

the last 2 change from time to time they might be different closer to when pax is.

• Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    did they replace that avatar exhibit at the sci fi museum? i was super bummed i didnt get to see all the star trek stuff.

also i plan on going to the saturday mariners game.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    im not sure. when i went last time they were under construction :cry: a handful of the sci-fi stuff was up in the emp section(was only a few battle star galactica ships and props). and they were setting up for nirvana as well as the avatar exhibit

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    Since I only got a Friday & Sunday pass, and the fact that I want to move to the area next year, I'm going to spend Saturday taking in the city, so I'm absolutely gonna be subscribing to this thread.

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    did they replace that avatar exhibit at the sci fi museum? i was super bummed i didnt get to see all the star trek stuff.

also i plan on going to the saturday mariners game.

I was just at the EMP day before yesterday with some visiting friends. Avatar is still there. They also just added an AC/DC exhibit. The Nirvana exhibit is still there, as well. Battlestar Galactica exhibit is gone.

• Options
    yeah if you are going to take in the city then the city pass would probably be the best for the money. but you cant do everything in the pass booklet in one day. so idk still might be cheaper to pay separately

• Options
    poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular
    Any good fancy restaurants near downtown? Wife and I will be celebrating our two year.
    Right across the street from the convention center is the Cheesecake Factory. In the Sheraton Hotel is the Daily Grill. My wife and I enjoyed dining at both locations. About a block away is Il Fornaio, a small, but good Italian restuarant. There's also the Fox Sports Grill just down the road.

Check out sites like UrbanSpoon or Yelp for other recommendations.

Cheesecake factory isn't that fancy, but Il Fornaio is pretty good. I'd also checkout the Palisades, Canalis, and Met Grill, those are all relatively close to downtown seattle. If you have a car, I also recommend Jak's Grill around the Udistrict, it's probably my favorite steak place in all of Seattle.

• Options
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »
    If you like Asian food and stuff, you should go to Chinatown. You should also go to Pike St Market :)

All the good chinese restaurants are in Bellevue now;(

• Options
    PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I was going to say the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum is loads of fun. Heck just taking the monorail to get to the Seattle Center is good cheap dorky fun. Downtown Seattle is a very busy place, all kinds of people coming and going. Some people just like to head to the shopping district and people watch, lots of um..... "interesting" people out there.

but bumpershoot isnt a walk in anytime deal. You gotta buy a pass for it too

• Options
    pood wrote: »
    Any good fancy restaurants near downtown? Wife and I will be celebrating our two year.
    Right across the street from the convention center is the Cheesecake Factory. In the Sheraton Hotel is the Daily Grill. My wife and I enjoyed dining at both locations. About a block away is Il Fornaio, a small, but good Italian restuarant. There's also the Fox Sports Grill just down the road.

Cheesecake factory isn't that fancy, but Il Fornaio is pretty good. I'd also checkout the Palisades, Canalis, and Met Grill, those are all relatively close to downtown seattle. If you have a car, I also recommend Jak's Grill around the Udistrict, it's probably my favorite steak place in all of Seattle.

These are great dining options, but be aware that most of them, especially Canlis and The Met, will result in a bill that is *well* into the 3 figures for just 2 people.

I'm a pretty serious foodie in this city. I'll probably compile a list of places for people leading up to the event as kind of a PSA. Maybe throw together a tour guide list, as well.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If you like Asian food and stuff, you should go to Chinatown. You should also go to Pike St Market :)

Disagree. Seven Stars Szechuan has great hot pot, Kau Kau has the best BBQ pork you've ever had in your life, Green Leaf Vietnamese has some fantastic spring rolls, Harbor City has great dim sum...and all of these are in the ID in Seattle.

But yes, Bellevue has a LOT of great restaurants, especially Chinese.

Quintious on
  • Options
    Quintious wrote: »

Disagree. Seven Stars Szechuan has great hot pot, Kau Kau has the best BBQ pork you've ever had in your life, Green Leaf Vietnamese has some fantastic spring rolls, Harbor City has great dim sum...and all of these are in the ID in Seattle.

But yes, Bellevue has a LOT of great restaurants, especially Chinese.

7 star is NO where near what it was before, their old chef moved to a bellevue years ago.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    There are a couple of cool geek/game pubs in the area:

Cafe Mox
    AFK Tavern

Also, you can walk the SoundGarden (where the band ostensibly got its name). It's small but amazing.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular

Bumbershoot goes from Saturday through Monday, and requires a pass/ticket. They are available in 1 or 3 day forms, and are a little pricey if you're not going to be there the whole day.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options

Bumbershoot goes from Saturday through Monday, and requires a pass/ticket. They are available in 1 or 3 day forms, and are a little pricey if you're not going to be there the whole day.

Mind you bumpershoot last year was a blast, as I'm a huge music/arts kind of guy. I'm not going to miss out on PAX time to go this year however :P

• Options
    SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Theres a Seahawks home game happening the day before PAX starts.

It's against the Oakland raiders and I'm heading to it.

Senicks on
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular

Mind you bumpershoot last year was a blast, as I'm a huge music/arts kind of guy. I'm not going to miss out on PAX time to go this year however :P

That was my thought, actually. I kind of liked being able to go to both Bumbershoot and PAX last year. I love both so much, and hate having to choose.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    OozOoz SeattleRegistered User regular
    lojer wrote: »
    Red Mill is pretty good. It has the drive-in feel, but I would recommend the Lunchbox Laboratory if you're looking for a good burger. It's a bit more expensive, but the customization options are amazing, and the quality is top notch.
    Thanks, we will definitely try Lunchbox Factory just on name alone!

Oh man. I signed up for a forum account just for this. I definitely don't want to diss Lunchbox Laboratory because it's a pretty cool restaurant and their customization abilities are sweet. But (in my opinion, obviously) Red Mill burgers are the best burgers in town. Which is kind of funny as there is essentially nothing special about them as far as ingredients go. It's just... every single thing on the burger is perfect. The burger is hot and juicy, all the veggies are perfectly crisp, the bacon is done to perfection. There isn't too much or too little of anything on the burger. It's the perfect ratio of everything. It's just a normal burger done as close to perfection as I've ever tasted. Also their milkshakes are very high quality.

I don't know how long you are in town for, but if you have the time and are a burger person, it's probably worth checking out both! They are very different burger experiences!

Although, Lunchbox Laboratory does have the benefit of being downtown where you will probably be staying for PAX. Red Mill you will definitely need to bus, or have another means of driving type transportation as it is in another part of town.

Either way, I hope you have a great time on your trip!

tumblr_od7sj6DRbM1r9delyo1_250.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

These are great dining options, but be aware that most of them, especially Canlis and The Met, will result in a bill that is *well* into the 3 figures for just 2 people.

I'm a pretty serious foodie in this city. I'll probably compile a list of places for people leading up to the event as kind of a PSA. Maybe throw together a tour guide list, as well.

Yah, I understand that
    There are a couple of cool geek/game pubs in the area:

Cafe Mox
    AFK Tavern

Also, you can walk the SoundGarden (where the band ostensibly got its name). It's small but amazing.

Mox is awesome, AFK is way far from seattle, but why in the world would you goto Mox if PAX has a whole area for board gaming???

pood on
  • Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Ooz... I'm sorry but I am forced to disagree. Red Mill burgers are ok. Just that, OK. Not great. Not horrible. Comparable to Kid Valley or any other place where you get your burger wrapped in foiled paper.

Lunchbox Laboratory is also (in my possibly not humble opinion) not the best burger in town. (Too salty for me, although that was on a DORK -- duck and pork -- burger) They do have amazing, perhaps life altering, shakes. The nutella shake is not to be missed.

All rants aside, either option will get you a good burger but there are better burgers out there. Dare I say perhaps even great burgers out there! For help finding them may I recommend Legit Beef.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Mox is awesome, AFK is way far from seattle, but why in the world would you goto Mox if PAX has a whole area for board gaming???

Beer.

And to get your game on before/after PAX.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    Senicks wrote: »
    Theres a Seahawks home game happening the day before PAX starts.

It's against the Oakland raiders and I'm heading to it.

:O

I'm going to have to maybe move my travel day up one day for that.

• Options
    OozOoz SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jobiwan Kenobi, thanks for linking the Legit Beef blog! I am looking forward to trying some new places.

Ooz on
    tumblr_od7sj6DRbM1r9delyo1_250.png
  • Options
    ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    Labor Day weekend is a damn fine time to spend up here. During the day, there's an almost unlimited amount of touristy things to do (EMP, ferries, whale watching, Pike Place, etc.), at night, we've got a myriad of different neighborhoods with different pub scenes (Cap Hill for the hipsters, Belltown for the bros and college crowd, Fremont for the "we're just a little bit weird" assemblage, Bellevue and Ballard for the more upscale vibe, etc.).

I'd recommend anybody coming here for the first time check out the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square, make a pilgrimage to the Fremont Troll, be sure to take a ferry to Bainbridge Island for French toast at Cafe Nola one day, maybe take a Safeco Field tour or catch a game, try some of our FANTASTIC restaurants (seriously, we're one of the biggest food scenes in the nation), hike in one of our almost unlimited parks, etc. Absolutely come predominately for PAX, but if you can, stay an extra few days to check this place out, because Seattle's a really awesome town.

Edit: Oh, and our zoo (one of the best anywhere) has baby leopards. BABY. LEOPARDS.

If you are talking about Woodland Park Zoo there are no baby leopards there anymore.The baby Snow Leopards that were born there are at other zoos and the baby ocelot is not such a baby anymore.I would still recommend Woodland Park Zoo over the zoo in Tacoma.I might even be able to snag some free passes.PM me if you are interested in visiting Woodland Park Zoo and I will see what I can do for you.

• Options
    Evil_Demon55Evil_Demon55 Registered User regular
    Go see some sports games. The Mariners play Toronto Blue Jays and the Seahawks have a preseason game, which they play the Raiders.

Visit Pike Place Market/The Waterfront. It might not be as good with the destructing of the Viaduct/construction of the tunnel.

Pacific Place is entertaining for a little bit. But it's just a small mall.

West Lake Center can be fun. If you venture down to West Lake take the monorail. It's like $4 for a ride and it's interesting. It takes you to Seattle Center.

Seattle Center- It has rides and games plus it's fun to walk around. A lot goes on at the center in the summer. Visit the EMP.

EMP- The Monorail actually goes through it, and it's at the center. It's a musical museum and is well worth going even if you're not into music.

Take a ferry to Bainbridge Island- Winslow, the main little town on Bainbridge has a lot going on in the summer. The ferry is $7 per person walk on and takes approx. 35 mins. The ride back is also free for walk ons. Definitely do this if you have never been on a ferry before. Winslow has a few wine shops so it can be relaxing for those looking to take a relaxing day off, and it also has a busier section for people to entertain themselves for a day.

Head north into Ballard. Ballard is a growing neighborhood and has a lot going on with no parking!

Ride the Duck- Annoy everyone you drive by with those quacking whistles. Definitely worth it for the duck whistle! Plus you get to drive a car into a lake!!!

• Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Seattle Center- It has rides and games plus it's fun to walk around. A lot goes on at the center in the summer. Visit the EMP.

The rides are gone, they were taking them down last summer. It's Bumbershoot Labor Day weekend too so it will be crazy busy and then even more crazy.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Mariners Vs Red Sox game on 9/3 sounds like the perfect way to nurse a post-PAX hangover. One of my goals in life is to attend a league game in each of the major US sports. NHL and NBA have been stricken off the list when I went to New York. Looks like MLB will be next. That's not going to be a game where it will be sold out for weeks in advance, right?

JamieOD on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the MMT comes up with this year! The wife and I were joking it should start in portland wednesday and join the west coast train on Thursday LOL. but yeah lots to do in Seattle (food, see food thread, other events also)

MMT should start plotting soon though..

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    JamieOD wrote: »
    The Mariners Vs Red Sox game on 9/3 sounds like the perfect way to nurse a post-PAX hangover. One of my goals in life is to attend a league game in each of the major US sports. NHL and NBA have been stricken off the9 list when I went to New York. Looks like MLB will be next. That's not going to be a game where it will be sold out for weeks in advance, right?
    very very unlikely. The mariners aren't exactly on a huge winning streak, the the fan base isn't huge to begin with

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Non-gaming things to do in seattle.... (Disclaimer: I'm from the greater Portland Oregon area, so these may still be a bit on the touristy side)

The three things that come to mind are:

Visit Gas Works park
    Vist Gargoyles Statuary (over in the Uni district)
    Hang out with the Troll under the bridge

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    For what it is worth, there's a good list of fun things to do in Seattle on this reddit thread

• Options
    AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    Unexpected Productions typically does a special geeky improv show (NerdProv) at Market Theater when ECCC and PAX are in town. Their regular Theater Sports shows are a riot, too! The cover charge isn't too bad, and they're in Pike Place Market, which is within easy walking distance from the con. I'd recommend going with at least a small group, since you go down into Post Alley, but there's usually plenty of people around on a Friday or Saturday night.
    http://www.unexpectedproductions.org/

Seattle Center has the Sci-Fi Museum. It's not huge, but it's fun if you haven't been. They sometimes get pretty awesome special exhibits. Looks like the active exhibit will be Icons of Science Fiction:
    http://www.empmuseum.org/exhibitions/index.asp?categoryID=177&ccID=337

• Options
    So, I didn't want to start a whole thread for this, but it is totally a gaming hint...

Today, Seattle Groupon is selling all-day passes to GameWorks for $20.

Expires in November.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    So, I didn't want to start a whole thread for this, but it is totally a gaming hint...

Expires in November.

Just for people who go looking like most other places, those all day passes aren't valid for ticket, prize and photo games. So if you're a skeeball addict (like I am, though not very good) you're SoL.
    Also IIRC, for at least part of PAX Gameworks was closed for "private" events. (I say "private" because I think some of them were semi-open to the public, but so croweded most plebs couldn't get in.) Just be aware of that. (Although the happy hour looks pretty decent, and I will be in town on Wednesday. Would people say this is pretty comparable to a Dave & Busters?)

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »

Expires in November.

Just for people who go looking like most other places, those all day passes aren't valid for ticket, prize and photo games. So if you're a skeeball addict (like I am, though not very good) you're SoL.
    Also IIRC, for at least part of PAX Gameworks was closed for "private" events. (I say "private" because I think some of them were semi-open to the public, but so croweded most plebs couldn't get in.) Just be aware of that. (Although the happy hour looks pretty decent, and I will be in town on Wednesday. Would people say this is pretty comparable to a Dave & Busters?)

GameWorks is basically Dave and Busters. They have a pretty sick air hockey table too :3

• Options
    mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    There's a Seattle subreddit that could be useful: Fun Things to do in Seattle

There's a small pinball museum in the International District (Seattle Pinball Museum - 508 Maynard Avenue South). Pay maybe $7-8 to get in, maybe 50 machines on free play? (A mix of modern and EM-machines.)
    If you want to be sufficiently touristed, you can stand in long lines to try the brand-new ferris wheel on the wharf...take Union Street to the waterfront.
    Supercommuter as well as The Protomen are playing El Corazon on 9/3.

3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
  • Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    JamieOD wrote: »
    The Mariners Vs Red Sox game on 9/3 sounds like the perfect way to nurse a post-PAX hangover.

I am up for this for sure. If anyone else is, we can coordinate ticket buying and carpooling from the hotel to safeco.

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Not only is there a Mariners game right after PAX, there's also a Seahawks pre-season game right before PAX on Thursday. I'd be surprised to find many NFL fans here, let alone Seahawks fans (or even... *shudders* Raiders fans), but it's there.

There's already enough Pre-PAX events happening that day, and I have a lot of work to do anyway so I won't be there, but I figure I'd get the word out at least.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Unfortunately, I didn't order quickly enough, so I'm forced to find an alternate activity on Saturday (I only have Fri/Sun PAX tickets).

Now, because of my job, I've had to spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time in Seattle for the last few years, and, fortunately, will have a car while I'm there (whoo free rentals!). Now, I'm hoping to pick up a PAX ticket for Saturday from a friend, but I think I'm not the only one who will be in the area looking for fun on Saturday, so I thought I'd put the call out to other PAX attendees: what would you like to do with the day we can't go to PAX?

Personally, I've been hoping to hike Mt. Pilchuck (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mount-pilchuck/) to the top, since I've only tried it in early spring, before, but I'm open to suggestions, and willing to drive 3-7 folks (i'll get an appropriate vehicle depending on interest) for an activity during the day on Saturday.

Any ideas?

Unfettered on
    Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
This discussion has been closed.