As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Right Wing Terrorist Watch: Making Martyrs Of Toddlers Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Right wing terrorist JT Ready kills family and self (including an 18 month toddler) in an attempt to create martyrs to provoke violence on the Arizona border:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/jt_ready_arizona_massacre_border.php

You know what? I'm tired of these guys being called lone wackos. They are terrorists, plain and simple, and it's time they were referred to as such.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    White supremacist.

Can we please just forcibly eject Arizona from the union? We'd be so much better off without it.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Right wing terrorist JT Ready kills family and self (including an 18 month toddler) in an attempt to create martyrs to provoke violence on the Arizona border:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/jt_ready_arizona_massacre_border.php

You know what? I'm tired of these guys being called lone wackos. They are terrorists, plain and simple, and it's time they were referred to as such.

Didn't that Norwegian mass murderer just say that no one would try to say he was crazy if he was a fundamentalist Muslim terrorist? It is a bit odd that whenever a fundamentalist Muslim suicide bomber pulls this shit they're religious fanatics, but when it's a white guy - "oh he's just crazy!"

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    White supremacist.

Can we please just forcibly eject Arizona from the union? We'd be so much better off without it.
    Well, we settled the right of secession fight. Time to take on the right of expulsion!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This type of stuff is why I try not to follow the news too closely these days.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It's a pretty solid fixture of any terrorist attack for some group to brush them off as lone nuts, and some other group to claim they're indicative of a larger movement.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

I was expecting a quick report of a tragic shooting at the hands of a douche bag, but the story goes on, and on, and on, and it gets worse the further down I go.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I was expecting a quick report of a tragic shooting at the hands of a douche bag, but the story goes on, and on, and on, and it gets worse the further down I go.

It's racist assholes all the way down, sadly.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Normally I'd have no problems with joking about how problematic individuals like that guy have a way of taking care of themselves, but I must admit that typing that sentence made me feel kind of bad. Must be getting soft.

Jesus fuck, Arizona.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Didn't that Norwegian mass murderer just say that no one would try to say he was crazy if he was a fundamentalist Muslim terrorist? It is a bit odd that whenever a fundamentalist Muslim suicide bomber pulls this shit they're religious fanatics, but when it's a white guy - "oh he's just crazy!"

Non whites are a hive mind.

White people are individuals.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Mass murder: the only solution to problems that don't actually exist.

With Love and Courage
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    In the years since then, Ready had a falling out with the Republican Party over his increasingly extremist views and was disavowed by several politicians he once counted on, including Pearce.

From the article. You know you are batshit insane when the far right batshit insane wing of the republican party wants nothing to do with you.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I hope they find the individual who posted the information to facebook after the fact so they can hang conspiracy around his neck.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I hope they find the individual who posted the information to facebook after the fact so they can hang conspiracy around his neck.

The impression I got from the article was that he posted that message himself, then proceeded to shoot his family. Or rather, his girlfriend and her family, I guess.

Boy, Alex Jones's 'analysis' of this murder should be interesting.

With Love and Courage
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

The impression I got from the article was that he posted that message himself, then proceeded to shoot his family. Or rather, his girlfriend and her family, I guess.

if by interesting, you mean terrible and spirit breaking.

This dude showed up to support Occupy Phoenix... there's video of him there.

No idea just how much he affiliated himself with the Occupy movement, but at best it's another example of how lunatics will glom onto any popular movement to get their own lunacy a wider audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rjOwSIsgE8c#!

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I noticed the bullshit a while ago. A white guy shot up an army base, and all the focus was on his being a muslim. That same day, a catholic shot up... I think another army base, and the focus was on him being hispanic.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Can we compromise and just call him a Nazi? I mean, he literally was one and I think that that still ranks worse then terrorist to most people.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Except in Norway, the maximum criminal sentence is about twenty years. They don't do 'life' over there. Whereas if he's crazy, then they can keep him locked up as long as the state can successfully argue he's still nuts.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    White supremacist.

I have a better idea, let's just expel the loons from the nation or revoke their right to vote based on them being insane.

A) There are decent people in Arizona and cutting the state off from the Union will just fuck them over.
    B) Eventually, we're going to hit a point where we've cut the whole of the US off because of a couple of crazy people.
    C) If the crazy problem is really as bad as we think it is, or worse, that just gives the crazies a nation state that can turn around and declare war on us.

Much better to take steps to marginalize their influence and ability to pose a threat to society.

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    It seems like there's really been a lot of terrorism/mass shootings lately. Is that really a trend, or have they just been getting reported more?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Except in Norway, the maximum criminal sentence is about twenty years. They don't do 'life' over there. Whereas if he's crazy, then they can keep him locked up as long as the state can successfully argue he's still nuts.

That is wrong, the norwegian state has laws that can keep him locked up indefinitely. Its just that 20 years is the basic maximum sentence, anything over that and the state has to justify keeping him longer if they want to keep him locked up. Which is not going to be hard.

They called him crazy because he thought there was a non-zero chance that his acts would so inspire the norwegian people to name him regent of the Norwegian state.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    It seems like there's really been a lot of terrorism/mass shootings lately. Is that really a trend, or have they just been getting reported more?

just getting reported far more and letting people in other areas know about them
    When I moved just before high school one of the kids in the class before mine did some rather unspeakable things a certain summer night and it was news for weeks on end.
    I move and no one has heard of it or knows anything about it
    I really do think the rise of the internet and anyone can be a reporter attitude helps this problem

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Infowars already has an article saying it was either the drug cartels or the federal government.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    obama

wait let me put a question mark to make it journalism

'?'

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    South host wrote: »

Infowars already has an article saying it was either the drug cartels or the federal government.

Why choose?

They're both the same!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    This dude showed up to support Occupy Phoenix... there's video of him there.

No idea just how much he affiliated himself with the Occupy movement, but at best it's another example of how lunatics will glom onto any popular movement to get their own lunacy a wider audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rjOwSIsgE8c#!

Did you watch the video? It's pretty clear how much he affiliated himself with the Occupy movement- not at all. He states that it doesn't matter if he agrees or disagrees with the actual protest, he's there to make a statement to the government about second-amendment rights and cross-border violence.

I watched about 30s of the video. You can tell without asking, because I said "No idea just how much he affiliated himself...". Then I went on to make a point entirely separate from whether or not he had any common cause with OWS.

I watched about 30s of the video. You can tell without asking, because I said "No idea just how much he affiliated himself...". Then I went on to make a point entirely separate from whether or not he had any common cause with OWS.

So you were just mudslinging.

:^:

South host wrote: »

Good to see Alex Jones maintaining his standard of journalism and fact-checking.

• YarYar Registered User regular
    He was an anti-immgration nut AND a white supremacist? Shocker. I'd heard the two are completely different and unrelated issues.

edited May 2012
    adytum wrote: »

No. I can see you're having trouble grasping this idea, so I'll repeat it: it's another example of how lunatics will glom onto any popular movement to get their own lunacy a wider audience. Whether or how much this guy affiliated himself with OWS is beside the point - honestly, if he wasn't at all it just makes my point stronger. Loons will go where the press is focused to promote their own message because that's where the eyeballs are.

Stop being so defensive.

spool32 on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    He was a Neo Nazi. No reason to defend him, really.

No. I can see you're having trouble grasping this idea, so I'll repeat it: it's another example of how lunatics will glom onto any popular movement to get their own lunacy a wider audience. Whether or how much this guy affiliated himself with OWS is beside the point - honestly, if he wasn't at all it just makes my point stronger. Loons will go where the press is focused to promote their own message because that's where the eyeballs are.

Stop being so defensive.

Stop projecting. I'm trying to be nothing but polite. You posted a link and a short description implying something that wasn't true.. and was easily verifiable as the pertinent statements were made within the first minute of the video. You had "no idea just how much he affiliated himself with the Occupy movement" because you'd didn't take the time to figure out what the truth of the matter was.

Stop being so defensive.

Stop projecting. I'm trying to be nothing but polite. You posted a link and a short description implying something that wasn't true.. and was easily verifiable as the pertinent statements were made within the first minute of the video. You had "no idea just how much he affiliated himself with the Occupy movement" because you'd didn't take the time to figure out what the truth of the matter was.

And the reason we're a tad touchy about it is because there are already right wing idiots trying to use that video to claim he wasn't on their side of the fence.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Stop being so defensive.

The "truth of the matter" you are referring to has little or nothing to do with the point Spool was making.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    edited May 2012
    The "truth of the matter" you are referring to has little or nothing to do with the point Spool was making.

"The truth of the matter" that I referenced does not refer to the 'point' of his post, but to the implication of what was written regarding this person being present at an OWS rally. The 'point' could have been made more clearly and honestly with thirty more seconds of research and a few less weasel words.

adytum on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Homebrewed terrorism. Aren't these kind of people supposedly super-Christian? Didn't he understand that killing himself is actually a one-way ticket to Hell?

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Homebrewed terrorism. Aren't these kind of people supposedly super-Christian? Didn't he understand that killing himself is actually a one-way ticket to Hell?

The article says he converted to Mormonism, although I'm not sure there's any useful connection between his religion and his actions.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I did not read anything into spool's post. You guys are being silly geese about it.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    I dunno, isn't this guy kind of both a terrorist and a lone crazy?

Like, he wasn't part of some larger methodologically violent organization was he? There's no, "Our agent blah blah," video right?

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton