As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I think what we learn from that episode is that each element has its unique benefits.

BUT FIRE IS THE BEST!
    chibi_zuko_and_iroh_by_kiethklay-d3kt43c.jpg

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I decided to watch the first series again

Iroh is such a badass, folks

• thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    I finished Avatar just now. Man. I cried. What a great series. I would have never watched it if it weren't for you guys. Man I loved it so much. Now I can finally read this thread

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shorty wrote: »
    I decided to watch the first series again

Iroh is such a badass, folks

I think it's about time for some Tea

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's such an amazing show

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it can go back on benders too, though, since the advantages benders pose are mostly in manual labor

so, yes, while an employer might go "why would I hire this guy to dig when I can hire an earthbender?"

the employer can also say "why would I put an earthbender in a management position? I need those guys to dig"

PNk1Ml4.png
    also that pic reminds me that I don't have the bonus disc for the third season

so I don't have the goofy short cartoons

booooo

"These barrels are full of blasting jelly."
    "Good score."
    "And these boxes are full of jelly candy!"
    "Also good. Let's not get those mixed up."

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    also that pic reminds me that I don't have the bonus disc for the third season

so I don't have the goofy short cartoons

booooo

They are on the second season.

Which I guess still doesn't help you, but now if you ever track one down, you won't be disappointed?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Best score on TV: Legend of Korra. Clever stylistic mash-ups, great orchestration & luscious melodies. Congrats @JeremyZuckerman & Ben Wynn!

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Best score on TV: Legend of Korra. Clever stylistic mash-ups, great orchestration & luscious melodies. Congrats @JeremyZuckerman & Ben Wynn!

Damn, that's some high praise.

Seriously, though, he's right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTvY2dCM_I

SO GOOD

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    There's a scene from the Kevin Sorbo Hercules show, a bunch of men are angry at a Centaur getting the work of 6 men, Hercules asks if he's getting the pay of 6 men.

how come no one said anything about how awesome this is?

I expect that people wouldn't answer that because it's not really a good analogy. Regardless of the centaur's pay, he or she is getting a job in order to feed themselves and their possible families, as well as provide their children with an education. As for the six men who are now unemployed, they don't have any means of suporting themselves or their possible families. The centaur would also probably have the ability to negotiate getting the pay of like three men though, because that would still save his or her employer the cost of three men.

There's a reason why employers are required to accomidate disabled people in a workplace, even though it would be more efficient and cost effective not to accomidate them.

A better analogy would be if the non benders were people without arms and the benders were born with arms. It's not a perfect analogy, but it demonstrates the physical disparity between the two groups.

They're actually pointing this out to you, though it is easy to miss. When Tenzin's wife is discussing her pregnancy, one of the reasons she mentions for the pregnancy is that she wants a non bender child. She then says she would like at least one child who doesn't use their bending on her. That's a family with a mature bender to keep things somewhat under control. How about a family of non benders except for one bender child? If they were lucky, they wouldn't have any trouble, but if the kid decided they were better than the parents because they were stronger, the situation could be quite different.

In addition, Tenzin's wife probably would want a non bender child so there would be someone in the family she could actually feel connected to. As the only non bender, she's basically an outsider to all the bending activities that the others share. How many times has she been made to feel that there are some things she just wouldn't undestand because she's not a bender?

It would be so easy for benders to say to non benders that something is bender business only and needs to be handled just by benders, not just on a personal level, but a societal level as well. And bender business can be mostly anything a bender decides it is because bending is so much an important part of their society. That's even something in the real world. How many times have you seen one person tell someone else "you wouldn't understand because you're not one of us", or words to that effect. When that thought becomes prevalent throughout, you're going to have a lot of unhappy people who feel disenfranchised.

Throw in a charismatic orator to give that feeling focus, and there's Amon's power base.

you fucking talkin' trash on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that kevin sorbo

so

dreamy

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    it can go back on benders too, though, since the advantages benders pose are mostly in manual labor

so, yes, while an employer might go "why would I hire this guy to dig when I can hire an earthbender?"

the employer can also say "why would I put an earthbender in a management position? I need those guys to dig"

Doesn't seem to work that way for the mafia or for the police

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    almost at the season 1 finale

this episode has been a series of great moments

all in a row

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »

who you gonna promote to manager? The productive bender that makes you money, or the slacker non-bender that takes ten times as long to get anything done?

• KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular

who you gonna promote to manager? The productive bender that makes you money, or the slacker non-bender that takes ten times as long to get anything done?

Whichever is most cost effective.

If I get more out of the bender and can pay him labor wages, and then promote the non-bender who can do almost as good of a job, and also pay him less than I would pay the bender because he knows he doesn't really deserve it anyway.

Of course this is speaking as a corporate douchebag, which I am not, but am simply playing devil's advocate.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Kor wrote: »

Whichever is most cost effective.

If I get more out of the bender and can pay him labor wages, and then promote the non-bender who can do almost as good of a job, and also pay him less than I would pay the bender because he knows he doesn't really deserve it anyway.

Of course this is speaking as a corporate douchebag, which I am not, but am simply playing devil's advocate.

that might eventually become the mindest

but I can very easily how benders get promoted and such simply because they're the only ones with work experience, because nonbenders aren't hired for those jobs because of how inefficient they are

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

the one who would be better at untraceably killing you without breaking a sweat

you know, earthbender, I would promote you but we need you out in the fields

he smacks a fist into an open palm and a gravestone shoots out of the ground, another emphatic motion and your name etches itself into the stone

along with today's date

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

Damn, that's some high praise.

Seriously, though, he's right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTvY2dCM_I

SO GOOD
    Thank you for posting this, Johnny.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

the one who would be better at untraceably killing you without breaking a sweat

you know, earthbender, I would promote you but we need you out in the fields

he smacks a fist into an open palm and a gravestone shoots out of the ground, another emphatic motion and your name etches itself into the stone

along with today's date

Benders seem to need face smashing training like anyone else. I mean, yeah. Most of the ones we see prominently have been combat monsters.

They've also been natural prodigies, trained soldiers, and tournament fighters. Joe Average is more dangerous if he's a bender, but he's still vulnerable to getting his face punched in if the other guy's got a knack for kicking ass.

And that's ignoring the whole "This is a city that has a police force" thing. Even if the killing itself was untracable, the means motive opportunity triangle is going to put you in a bullseye. And the savings on employees can be spent on bodyguards, pinkertons, and the like.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This has been mentioned a thousand times already but still needs to be said; It was a fucking crime that the first series never got an OST release.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    BugBoy wrote: »
    almost at the season 1 finale

this episode has been a series of great moments

all in a row

The spar between (The Waterbending Master spoiler)
    Katara and Pakku is one of the greatest demonstrations of waterbending in the show, and easily my favorite one on one fight in season 1.

Yeah sure, Pakku won the fight, but he had to earn it, against a little girl with no professional training whatsoever. And it just looked so cool.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    siege of the north part 2 is my reward for getting through a final

despite the fact that it is one of the only episodes I saw when it actually aired

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Here's a layer we haven't delved into.

Most of us can probably agree that being a bender brings with it some clear advantages over being a non-bender.

What about the benefits non-benders enjoy by living in a world with benders? They probably get to feel much safer in their walled cities and they know there will always be water and earth benders to quickly form canals when crops need to be irrigated.

The anti-bending movement is less like a workers strike and more like a pack of Luddites in this case. Benders can do certain things better but the benefits are often enjoyed by benders and non-benders alike. I think that is where the true gray area lies.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Most of us can probably agree that being a bender brings with it some clear advantages over being a non-bender.

What about the benefits non-benders enjoy by living in a world with benders? They probably get to feel much safer in their walled cities and they know there will always be water and earth benders to quickly form canals when crops need to be irrigated.

The anti-bending movement is less like a workers strike and more like a pack of Luddites in this case. Benders can do certain things better but the benefits are often enjoyed by benders and non-benders alike. I think that is where the true gray area lies.
    I have been thinking along similar lines.

Amon's argument is kind of like, "Bending is bad because it means we live in a world where tsunamis, earthquakes, forest fires and hurricanes can happen just because a group of people want them to!"

But he ignores the fact that those same people can stop or counter any of those disasters, too. Heck, the Gaang did it on a number of occassions!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Water bending is by far my favorite style on the show to watch

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I'm a bit surprised at lightning stick guy

Is amon's answer truly to depower benders and then to give people water guns and flamethrowers

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yes, but only if your voice is cool enough

season 2 features logan cunningham as an equalist pyromaniac

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Amon's argument is kind of like, "Bending is bad because it means we live in a world where tsunamis, earthquakes, forest fires and hurricanes can happen just because a group of people want them to!"

But he ignores the fact that those same people can stop or counter any of those disasters, too. Heck, the Gaang did it on a number of occassions!

Basically its the "if I can't have it then nobody can" thought process.

ygPIJ.gif
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I actually remember seeing a clip in which
    Amon seemed to be using a device that looked sort of like some simulacrum of waterbending, but i may just be remembering it wrong and it was one of those half second things anyway.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Basically its the "if I can't have it then nobody can" thought process.

Given how he's going about it, it seems more like "If you can't play nice with your toys, I'm taking them away."

But that's probably just how he wants people to see him.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

The problem with this thought is this: imagine a totalitarian government who provides safety and food for its populace, but at the loss of some personal freedoms?

Non-benders want to (at least they think they do) deal with those problems on their own, because it ultimately means they have more control over their lives. They currently feel that they have none.

It's very much the "live free, or die" ideal.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Some non-benders think that way. Just like some people in real life think that aliens, who are actually angels, are going to come back in december 2012 and all our technology originally came from them.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like they live in a totalitarian dictatorship, there's just a bit of class inequality. It's a huge problem and all, but as far as we know the government isn't executing people that don't agree with it, which is unlikely considering who founded the city and presumably it's laws in the first place.

I think people kind of miss that while Amon DOES have a legitimate point, his methods are fucking insane. You can have a point and still be so totally off base in how you make that point as to invalidate yourself as someone who can talk about it.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I too hope we develop a mass driver so that we can avoid meteors crashing into earth, hope nobody holds the earth hostage with it!!!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like they live in a totalitarian dictatorship, there's just a bit of class inequality. It's a huge problem and all, but as far as we know the government isn't executing people that don't agree with it, which is unlikely considering who founded the city and presumably it's laws in the first place.

I think people kind of miss that while Amon DOES have a legitimate point, his methods are fucking insane. You can have a point and still be so totally off base in how you make that point as to invalidate yourself as someone who can talk about it.

Indeed. As you point out, class inequality is a huge problem for those on the bottom. Amon is just stoking those fires.

I honestly think widespread teaching of the chi-blocker techniques would be a good way to give the non-bender populace some sense of control. But drama is about conflict and all.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    real talk

Amon is a Char

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited May 2012
    I too hope we develop a mass driver so that we can avoid meteors crashing into earth, hope nobody holds the earth hostage with it!!!!
    Somebody cue up 'Agnus Dei' and put on a yellow ribbon insignia.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
This discussion has been closed.