As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Maybe a bit too much JGL in that trailer, though.

I wish I could hate you to death

Absolutely amazing trailer

As for Prometheus, does it really look that good? You know...I happen to have Alien and Aliens, but I've never actually seen them. Maybe I'll give them a shot before Prometheus hits.

Or wait.

And see them after. You are in a rare position I think, best to take advantage of it.

Are you sure?

Isn't the point of a prequel to fill in gaps of story you already know about while giving you slight winks and nods to things you should already know? Wouldn't I be completely out of my frame of reference?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

As for Prometheus, does it really look that good? You know...I happen to have Alien and Aliens, but I've never actually seen them. Maybe I'll give them a shot before Prometheus hits.

Or wait.

And see them after. You are in a rare position I think, best to take advantage of it.

Are you sure?

Isn't the point of a prequel to fill in gaps of story you already know about while giving you slight winks and nods to things you should already know? Wouldn't I be completely out of my frame of reference?

I shouldn't think so. I mean, yes, but I think it's been in the zeitgeist that you won't be totes lost.

And it'll be a shitty film if it can't stand on its own merits.

If I were you I'd wait, just to see.

I've not seen the first Alien but I've seen everything else, so I'll be sort of doing that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I suggest waiting as well, just 'cause.

I expect Prometheus to completely stand alone and not have too many ties with Alien (it's not being billed as a prequel, after all), but it would be interesting to see it in chronological order.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Or wait.

A little bit of a non sequitur but my coworker did this with his daughters and the Star Wars films. He wanted to see how they would react to 4,5, and 6 after seeing 1,2, and 3 first. The girls ended up being rather sad for Darth Vader in the end and didn't see him as being very evil.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Thats the problem. If Prometheus is awesome the preceding movies will be great too. But if Prometheus 'does a Star Wars' then that might colour your experience of the originals.

So the only question is; do you want to risk it?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Somehow I doubt that Prometheus is going to leave us feeling sad for the Xenomorphs.

Lh96QHG.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Somehow I doubt that Prometheus is going to leave us feeling sad for the Xenomorphs.

XENOMORPH ONLY WANTED FRIEND

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    You find out that when someone gets impregnated by a facehugger they transfer their consciousness into the chest burster and find God.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    man is the real monster of the film

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Twas beauty blasted the beast out the airlock...

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    walk silently, and carry a big chestburster

forget it, Ripley, it's weyland-yutani...town

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Or wait.

Are you sure?

I shouldn't think so. I mean, yes, but I think it's been in the zeitgeist that you won't be totes lost.

Things I know about Alien films

- Sigourney Weaver is in them, her character's name is Ripley
    - The aliens are called xenomorphs
    - There is a corporation called Weyland-Yutani
    - "Game over, man, game over!"

Or wait.

Are you sure?

Indeed, and I think that if you need more to "get" Prometheus (beyond a weird sort of circular satisfaction) it's going to be a shitty film.

Lh96QHG.png

Or wait.

Are you sure?

First one is horror.

Second is action.

Third fails to return to horror.

Fourth fails to return to action.

Prometheus feels like a thriller from the trailers. We'll see.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg

Or wait.

Are you sure?

also "Get away from her, you bitch!"

(i never finished Aliens)

• polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    You know what happens around here when you haphazardly throw around Aliens quotes, right?

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    You get nuked from orbit?

polaris314 wrote: »
    You know what happens around here when you haphazardly throw around Aliens quotes, right?
    they get put into starcraft

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Or wait.

Are you sure?

Well, the could be. Shouldn't need to be. The frame of reference should stand on its own.

Nothing I hate more than a prequel that turns out to be a checking items off a list the whole damn time. Makes the viewing experience feel like the opposite of a story, by becoming less and less interesting as it circles the drain at the end of the plotline, becoming the thing you already know. Which I suppose should be the result, but I don't feel it ought to be something you see coming from a mile away.

Things going for Prometheus that work against this problem:

1) It's called Prometheus. Not Alien Zero, or, No Aliens (Yet), or whatever. The unique name is the first step in allowing it to stand on its own. Might not sound major, but it really helps keep everyone out of old habits and mindsets going into the thing.

2) No timewarp characters (that we know of). Example: No Ripley in this. We don't know who lives and who dies in this, we don't know, going in, that anyone needs to come out alive from this in order for ALIEN to happen. There's some nods to the window dressing and scenery, but even that is being done in a different way.

3) Preoccupations in the trailer that have nothing to do with ALIEN or any of the Aliens movies. We've had space truckers, space marines and space miners, space prisoners, and space pirates(? didn't really watch Resurrection) interact with the setting, but this is the first time an honest to goodness full-fledged science team has camped out to study something of this world. There's been the requisite medical bay joys of alien body horror, but this is different. This is full-on speculative existentialism of an alien world, like the ultimate Nat Geo assignment. There's quite a lot of potential in this change of perspective.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    God I would kill for a film that creates a imaginative, unique and plausible alien world and just fucking explores it. No "alien monster is going to eat us," no "dances with smurfs," no "we're stranded and need to find a way off the planet."

Just a group of explorers, exploring a single, well thought out, alien planet.

And no humanoid aliens dammit! You can give them two arms, two legs and a head, but I draw the line there: if it looks more human than the Prawns from District 9, you're FIRED!

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    God I would kill for a film that creates a imaginative, unique and plausible alien world and just fucking explores it. No "alien monster is going to eat us," no "dances with smurfs," no "we're stranded and need to find a way off the planet."

And no humanoid aliens dammit! You can give them two arms, two legs and a head, but I draw the line there: if it looks more human than the Prawns from District 9, you're FIRED!

So like, no plot?

I guess that could be a thing if it was done like a National Geographic nature documentary or something. I wouldn't expect it to do well though.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg

So like, no plot?

I guess that could be a thing if it was done like a National Geographic nature documentary or something. I wouldn't expect it to do well though.

You could make a plot out of first contact with the natives. But yes, more like a documentary. I know it'll never happen, but sane men don't offer to kill over things that are likely to happen ;)

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    If you're into movies at all you should see Alien and Aliens. They're great movies

t5qfc9.jpg
    Having just recently watched Alien for the first time that I could actively remember, to the point that 95% of my knowledge previousy came from pop culture aside from a few scenes seared into my brain, I can attest that Alien is a fantastic film and quite frankly something that COULD NOT be made in todays Hollywood. The way it uses suspense and quiet moments is really a flash from the past of cinema. If you don't kind scary movies, I highly recommend it.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Prometheus trailer is maybe the best trailer I've ever seen in terms of getting me pumped up about a film.

I can tell it's going to be one of my favourite films of all time, I'm like 85,8% sure of it!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

How about a bizarre love triangle?

Or something Wes Anderson in Space?

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Interesting shot from the Batman trailer:
    Screen%2520Shot%25202012-05-02%2520at%25208.52.42%2520AM.png

It's clearly NY, looking down the East River from the North, except flipped horizontally. Gotham is bizarro NY. You can also see the new WTC under construction. It's much taller now.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    Having just recently watched Alien for the first time that I could actively remember, to the point that 95% of my knowledge previousy came from pop culture aside from a few scenes seared into my brain, I can attest that Alien is a fantastic film and quite frankly something that COULD NOT be made in todays Hollywood. The way it uses suspense and quiet moments is really a flash from the past of cinema. If you don't kind scary movies, I highly recommend it.

I really don't like scary movies but I like Alien a lot.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Zzulu wrote: »
    If you're into movies at all you should see Alien and Aliens. They're great movies

That is assuming you don't hate horror. I hate horror and I hated Alien. I never saw Aliens even though I heard it was more action than horror.
    But I do love spoof horror like Shawn of the Dead and Zombieland.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Zzulu wrote: »

That is assuming you don't hate horror. I hate horror and I hated Alien. I never saw Aliens even though I heard it was more action than horror.
    But I do love spoof horror like Shawn of the Dead and Zombieland.

Then you'll love Alien 4

Lh96QHG.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Interesting

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    That went a surprisingly different direction than I was expecting from the first 20 seconds.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Crews is the best thing about the expendables. Dude needs more roles

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The Expendables is also the first role i've ever seen Crews play it straight in. Everything else he's been in was for comic relief.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    FULL TRAILER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQf3YP8p85I

Okay, trailer spoilers
    based on the scene where they're all standing depressed in winter coats talking about revenge, coupled with the fact that crews isnt in that trailer at all, he dies...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay, how the fuck do I make that embed?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    remove the "feature=player_embedded&" bit from the URL

This discussion has been closed.