As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hooray I'm gonna get my old job back starting monday the 14th, better pay 40 hours a week fuck yesssss

2x39jD4.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hooray I'm gonna get my old job back starting monday the 14th, better pay 40 hours a week fuck yesssss

Yay!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am imagining Fort MacMurray as a crumbling heap of buildings in the centre of a vast and desolate wasteland now.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Well I just found out yesterday that my position is being cut at the end of the month.

Basically I applied for this position last year and since then, it's evolved into a half step between my subordinate and superior and management thinks it is unnecessary. I can't get promoted or demoted, so I'm being let go.

god. dammit.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    That sucks Bedi, I'm sorry

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'm not totally hurt by it. I never got along with my coworkers and there wasn't a lot of guidance for seniors because the leads (my superiors) just assumed I knew everything coming in.

I'm just annoyed that I'm being cut just under a year so it looks like I look flaky. If I'm completely open about why I'm leaving then it looks like I'm not a good employee. Oh and I don't get severance because I haven't been here a full year.

I've already talked with 4 recruiting companies and sent out my resume this morning. I think I'm going to quit in 2 weeks because then my last day here will be June 4 (right before my birthday) and I'll logically have just under 2 months to find a new job without having a time gap in my resume.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    You think ISO is hard? Motherfucker, I'm way more hardcore than you, our lab is acredited for AEMCLRP, EMC, LVD, R&TTE and Medical directives, a Technical Service for Automotive guidelines, Notified Body for LVD and now we're trying to become a NoBo for medical devices.

*cross arms*

I have to maintain MSHA training because I occasionally travel to one of the many mining and mineral processing plants. MSHA training is torture. Literal torture. I'm not joking. It's all the red tape and bullshit of OSHA, but with the added aspect of not just a chance you may get a life changing or life ending injury like working in a normal industrial facility or lab...no, mining and processing is a large chance of if something goes fucked, you are pretty much losing a limb, missing an eye, or you're human paste that will require a bucket to collect.

The 8 hours a day for 5 days initial training was so wonderful. Especially the Faces of Death style training videos and slides used to prepare me for the horrendously horrible demise I may face when a 20 ton dump truck accidentally rolls off the side of the mine face and goes a tumblin' through the work site.

Hunter on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    holyyy moly, I have an interview next thursday for a job I don't know if I am quiiiiite qualified enough for! didn't think I would even get an interview. oh jeez. I have very little interviewing experience and I'm feeling very nervous!

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I have my first group of haters at work.

I've turned an entire group into haters. I have 6 haters.

Need to figure out how to get an even dozen by the end of Summer.

easysig2.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i wish i could get some haters where I work

these people are not ripe to be converted though

i am a shepherd without a flock

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

Please, Summer already hates you.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Stale I only hate-respect you

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I am imagining Fort MacMurray as a crumbling heap of buildings in the centre of a vast and desolate wasteland now.

Crumbling in part because I'm pretty sure they use cocaine as mortar in said buildings at this point.

DrZiplock wrote: »

Please, Summer already hates you.

She's HERE?

shit

shit shit shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uun2N9CKL1s

easysig2.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

How did you find this out?

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    DAN SUXXX scratched into the bathroom stall

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
    JoeUser wrote: »

How did you find this out?

CS and Marketing brought me into a meeting, when I was right in the middle of other, actually important shit.

Once I get over to their side of the building, I'm in a boardroom half-full of people I don't recognize. Which isn't odd since I have no real idea who anyone is over there, nor what they do.

They start asking me Tech questions, and about user stories, and my opinion on this and that. I then realize I'm over here because the Product Manger is out sick and I'm the only other senior guy that actually knows every product and how things work together.

I cut her off and ask what the real problem was. Turns out a select minority of customers for one partner are having difficulty because they are trying to do something backwards and unplanned.

I explain, very bluntly, what is and is not a priority and exactly what development thinks of the userbase and partner operators.

Unknown to me, 3 of the dudes in the room were those particular partner operators. Whoops.

Maybe you should introduce me to the guests when I enter the room and not start firing bullshit pointless questions at me. Maybe you shouldn't ask the guy who's already overworked about shit that isn't his job. Maybe you should know better than disturb me at all when it comes to user questions.

After I had thoroughly "insulted" the partner operators (who laughed by the way), the CEO dismissed me like a butler and started stammering an apology.

I got a very bitchy email from the CS/Marketing team an hour later. And one from my boss telling me to forget it even happened.

so, in closing, tumblr_luambrUx0z1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Entering a meeting with zero clue about who's in the meeting, why you're there, and what you're supposed to do, is usually not a fun way to start the day. Or end the day. Or spend any part of the day.

It's their fault for asking a non-bullshit artist to come bullshit in front of clients asking for you to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

they were literally trying to do something not only backwards, but also ignorant. Probably because our team never properly educated them when we set everything up.

I can't idiot proof this. The world has better idiots than I can even conceive of. I try, I really do, but when you try to do something so stupid, I'm not going to be nice about it.

easysig2.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    "Oh you're right! I really should plug in the flash drive before I save to it!"

People need to hear "no" more in general, and especially business managers and sales douches.

Some things are just not feasible under the criteria given. With unlimited resources or with time, sure a fix can be made and great things can happen. R&D is not free though, and it also takes time away from dealing with the current widget you're trying to market. I can not however magically pull the thing you promised the customer out of my ass because you didn't or couldn't understand the difference between what we actually produce vs what you sold to them.

Oh my god stop printing thiiiiiiings

Anyway I can password lock a network printer?

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kind of, it's mostly done on the printer side. I think you can set it up so it requires a password to print, but short of taking it off the network or futzing with the security settings on the server it's shared from, I'm not sure you can do it over the network.

Yukira on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I am amazed on a daily basis that there are so many people who have no idea what a zip file is.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    I am amazed on a daily basis that there are so many people who have no idea what a zip file is.

Yeah. I recently had a client demand that I provide documents in a "more common" format that didn't require them to continually download an extractor program

I had no idea what to make of that, and could only imagine they went from PC to PC and never got to use one with an extractor pre-installed

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    .rar 4 lyfe

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Obviously, they downloaded programs when they needed them, then uninstalled them when they were done. Saving clutter, you know.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    all windows computers should have 7-zip pre-installed

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

if you have access to the server you can set it up in active directory to only allow certain people to print to it, but you have to specify

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    smof wrote: »

Crumbling in part because I'm pretty sure they use cocaine as mortar in said buildings at this point.

Well what else are they going to use the cocaine for? With everyone smoking meth, they needed something to do with the coke reserves.

Mysst wrote: »

if you have access to the server you can set it up in active directory to only allow certain people to print to it, but you have to specify

Hmm, will investigate

This dude's print happiness with both our color laser and our color plotter (which is $fuckingtexas per print) is getting old

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I find it somewhat hilarious that after three years working at my restaurant and frequently singing in the kitchen, part of my duties at my summer job will be to sing.

All that practice will finally pay off! (Seriously though, my voice has improved dramatically in the past three years from singing at work. They never tell me to shut up unlike at home!)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

every windows computer since XP can natively open zip files in explorer, they just open like folders

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Those people have pre-installed extractors 99% of the time

They just have no goddamn clue what they purchased/downloaded

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

Yeah. I recently had a client demand that I provide documents in a "more common" format that didn't require them to continually download an extractor program

I had no idea what to make of that, and could only imagine they went from PC to PC and never got to use one with an extractor pre-installed

Doesn't windows 7 handle .zip files without a program?

Tell them to upgrade their shit and stop being so two thousand and late. 8-)

Jasconius wrote: »

every windows computer since XP can natively open zip files in explorer, they just open like folders

i am aware

7-zip is still made of greatness

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Hmm, will investigate

This dude's print happiness with both our color laser and our color plotter (which is $fuckingtexas per print) is getting old

oh yeah, if it's just one dude you can totally lock him out

wait, I think. I forget my AD rules exactly, I think if you have the Everyone group set to allow print but his account set to not, his restrictions will override the Everyone group. otherwise, just remove Everyone and add the specific people you want to print

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Setting the dude's permissions to "no" should override how the Everyone group affects him. It shouldn't mess with anyone else.

Well, first step was seeing if I have access to change permissions on the print server, and sadly the answer is No

However I think I can convince IT to limit access to at least the big color plotter, because good lord we don't need 36" wide color schedules being printed willy nilly

This discussion has been closed.