As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Bunny Girl riven just seemed so unnecessary and pointless.

The community asked for it. Riot gave it.

yeah.....

My point being, the community essentially said "Riot we want to throw money at you, let us throw money at you" so Riot gave them the opportunity to do so. Good business is taking advantage of stuff like that. :D Or greed. Or both?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    To be honest, I don't think Europeans are quite so aware of the playboy bunny suit as a seriously sexually exploitative thing. It's less revealing than most swimsuits. Then you look up the history behind it and all becomes a lot clearer.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

yeah.....

My point being, the community essentially said "Riot we want to throw money at you, let us throw money at you" so Riot gave them the opportunity to do so. Good business is taking advantage of stuff like that. :D Or greed. Or both?

I don't fault Riot for making a buck. Its just a sad sexualization of a champion that was originally rather admirable in her design.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

yeah.....

I don't fault Riot for making a buck. Its just a sad sexualization of a champion that was originally rather admirable in her design.

I blame the community. (I may have also bought the skin...it's because of the Carrot Sword! Honest!)

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I blame the community. (I may have also bought the skin...it's because of the Carrot Sword! Honest!)

Pretty much. If it had been Riven dressed up in an actual rabbit suite wielding a carrot that would have been one this. As is its Playboy Bunny Riven with a sometimes carrot sword so they can pretend otherwise.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    shit if they made a surfer irelia skin in a bikini I'd buy it and just spam /j all day

though they killed taunt skating

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular

yeah.....

I don't get the issue (I am not saying you opinion isn't valid). Its not the default skin. However if we ignore that and just focus on the fact that you can see it in game along with a lot of other 'sexualized' characters. The skins are non canon.

My personal opinion is that I don't see it as an issue. I am curious as to why its an issue to you. why people form opinions of different area's interest me especially on such a polarizing topic. (if you're prefer to PM me why, thats ok to.)

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    They should really do Chippendales Gragas to make up for Bunny

I'd buy the shit out of Chippendale Gragas.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

Gender-swap models could be decent, though. Male Morgana in a similar outfit would be hilarious for pointing out the over the top nature of her 'costume', for example.

any more so than pantheon, gragas, garen, kassadin, malzahar, pentakill morde, ryze, and now varus do? these guys run around like shirtless he-men.

Well yeah, Morgana's pretty much topless apart from a tiiiiny bit of fabric masquerading as a bra.

Gragas isn't shirtless to be sexy, Ryze is topless to show the tattoos that contain his magic, Kassadin has no real reason to be wearing armoured shoulderpads and a bare chest, I'll give you that.

Not sure how Garen and Malzahar fit in the 'stupid sexualised female outfits' thing though.

So of those, Kassadin's base skin (which doesn't really look 'sexy' to be, but it is kind of exaggerated. The guy is RIPPED), Pantheon (who you did mention) and Pentakill Morde (which doesn't count as much as it's a skin, and a joke skin at that parodying metal band member stage outfits) are the main shirtless he-men.

Apparently, some people have a problem with Graves because he's all buff and manly and stubbly and he holds his shotgun from the crotch. (I have never looked at Graves and thought he was sexily presented. Rugged Garen, though? Sure. Struggling to think of any sexualised male character models or splash art, but I thoroughly accept that most of the male champs are a sexualised ideal.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    This is why I like Iron Solari Leona. Completely badass female champ, completely covered in badass-looking armor, proportions not barbiesque.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    This is why I like Iron Solari Leona. Completely badass female champ, completely covered in badass-looking armor, proportions not barbiesque.
    Defender Leona, and Classic Leona share this.

I honestly can't play the other Leona skin, even though I picked it up. It just... makes me uncomfortable.

Same as Sexy Cop Caitlyn. I giggled when I first saw it, because it was just so over the top it had to be a joke, then got more and more uncomfortable the more I saw it. I want Hextech Janna because she puts some goddamned clothes on, for example!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Graves is hip firing like every Big Damn Hero from every action movie you can think of. He was designed to be a "manly" range carry. Which is good since all the range carries are female or small woodland creatures.

Miniwolf wrote: »

yeah.....

I don't get the issue (I am not saying you opinion isn't valid). Its not the default skin. However if we ignore that and just focus on the fact that you can see it in game along with a lot of other 'sexualized' characters. The skins are non canon.

My personal opinion is that I don't see it as an issue. I am curious as to why its an issue to you. why people form opinions of different area's interest me especially on such a polarizing topic. (if you're prefer to PM me why, thats ok to.)

I think (at the risk of putting words in his mouth) that he is more disappointed in the community for requesting such a thing, like a bit of his faith in humanity has been destroyed. I can see that viewpoint if that is indeed the stance he is taking.

delphinidaes.png

yeah.....

I think (at the risk of putting words in his mouth) that he is more disappointed in the community for requesting such a thing, like a bit of his faith in humanity has been destroyed. I can see that viewpoint if that is indeed the stance he is taking.

I am not just talking about riven, I am talking about ever 'sexualized' character mentioned or thought about and why it digusts/whatever negative emotion.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

yeah.....

Putting a badass woman with a sword in a skimpier outfit doesn't make her less of a badass woman with a sword.
    In several endings of Metroid, Samus was seen in more revealing clothing. We didn't think less of her character at all. At least until Metroid: Other M

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Hey! I liked Other M.

Except for her voice. I felt like she should have a Philly accent.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly, until women become major fan stakeholders, sexualization probably won't stop, and even then not likely. This is cartoon fighting that's escapist in nature, you sort of want things to be ridiculous in every dimension. What's odder to me is the lack of black characters.

Anyhow, less than 5 hours until painhouse - hopefully we have a good crowd tonight.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    miss fortune spills into the great hall with the same tenacity she spills into her silk blouse

both taxed to contain her

yeah.....

Its not a matter of lore.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

yeah.....

Ok, but in your opinion why is it wrong to have these video game character portrayed in this way? I am genuinely interested. I have the opposite view but I always enjoy hearing the other side. The purpose is not to argue with you, but to learn.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png

yeah.....

Ok, but in your opinion why is it wrong to have these video game character portrayed in this way? I am genuinely interested. I have the opposite view but I always enjoy hearing the other side. The purpose is not to argue with you, but to learn.

Why is it wrong to portray female characters in a needlessly sexual way? I think that ones pretty clear.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    miss fortune spills into the great hall with the same tenacity she spills into her silk blouse

i was wondering when you'd show up :P

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ashe is modest.

steam_sig.png
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    What's odder to me is the lack of black characters.

Isn't Ryze black?

I always thought his facial features and bone structure was distinctly African American. For some reason, I mentally imagine him as Kanye West.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

i literally just woke up and checked the thread

it was fate

edited May 2012

yeah.....

Why is it wrong to portray female characters in a needlessly sexual way? I think that ones pretty clear.

It isn't clear to me, as I don't see it as an issue, I just wanted your or anyone else input on it to see why its such a big deal. I am curious if its a cultural thing or something else entirely. Its no big deal, if you don't want to type out a lengthly paragraph as to why. I just figured I'd ask why and go from there.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Yes, we're painhousing tonight. 8PM sharp in the channel Painhouse (which is now the player draft channel)
    Drafting will be done in the normal PA channel (got a lot of confusion last week)

Anyone who would like to be a captain, please PM me.
    Please let me know if you'd like to suggest a type of game or format for some of the games.
    While there's no point system yet, I am willing to give imaginary points for demacia vs. noxus matches, all yordle teams and similar.

Doc:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al8wcjKN9tZLdDNkTWdheE4xazFyZ21pMWxwWW0zUkE

Just to confirm this, and what it says on the linked doc. At 8pm, I should be in both the PA channel and the painhouse channel. When (if) I'm drafted for a team, I leave the painhouse channel. Is this correct?

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.

yeah.....

It isn't clear to me, as I don't see it as an issue, I just wanted your or anyone else input on it to see why its such a big deal. I am curious if its a cultural thing or something else entirely. Its no big deal, if you don't want to type out a length argument as to why. I just figured I'd ask why and go from there.

Can I ask where you're from?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

it was fate

dang i wish i had woken up at 3:00PM

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Citation

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen

yeah.....

It isn't clear to me, as I don't see it as an issue, I just wanted your or anyone else input on it to see why its such a big deal. I am curious if its a cultural thing or something else entirely. Its no big deal, if you don't want to type out a length argument as to why. I just figured I'd ask why and go from there.

Sure, Born in South Africa, did my lower and middle schooling there. Spent a year and a half in the American School system (Texas if that changes anything). I then moved to England and did the upper half of my schooling there including my degree. I now live in USA.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    They should really do Chippendales Gragas to make up for Bunny Girl Riven.

Jars wrote: »
    they mentioned female champs tend to be over feminized(ie high heels) because it's more difficult for those characteristics to be subtle in the in game models.

ooh ooh i know this one

What is "things that were true in 1998"?
    To be fair, you would not believe how often I heard people refer to Kayle as 'he'. Silhouette is pretty important for identifying male/female in games!

i don't think that that is a huge tragedy
    and i think that heartseeker vayne/battle bunny riven/miss fortune et al. are pretty unfortunate

edit: oh FUCK and officer caitlyn oh my god

MF/BG Riven and officer Cait are really really bad[cait in general actually is pretty bad]

But i like Heartseeker Vayne. Mainly because of the card she has. Mundo <3 Vayne.

Would be nice if she had more clothes on [like Aristocrat Vayne]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png

it was fate

dang i wish i had woken up at 3:00PM

my life is luxurious and privileged 8-)

• ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Ok everyone. Maokai is completely nude. No need for a tree man to be treated like a vulgar, sexual object.

I win.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor

yeah.....

Sure, Born in South Africa, did my lower and middle schooling there. Spent a year and a half in the American School system (Texas if that changes anything). I then moved to England and did the upper half of my schooling there including my degree. I now live in USA.

Its probably cultural thing then. The whole corset and bunny ears thing has very sexual connotations in the US and its irksome to see a nonsexual female character stuck in that costume for no reason other than rather sexist community wants.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Gender-swap models could be decent, though. Male Morgana in a similar outfit would be hilarious for pointing out the over the top nature of her 'costume', for example.
    You mean like Udyr?
    league_of_legends_udyr_phoenix_by_ghunnar-d4u443p.jpg

4484-7718-8470
    you know what female champ worries me the most

orianna

her father built her as a replica of his dead daughter

and she has boobs and high heels :|

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Ok everyone. Maokai is completely nude. No need for a tree man to be treated like a vulgar, sexual object.

I win.

Anivia is also pretty nude, so it evens out. Except with her Noxus Hunter skin where she stops slutting around and puts some clothes on.

edited May 2012
    you know what female champ worries me the most

orianna

her father built her as a replica of his dead daughter

and she has boobs and high heels :|

His dead stripper daughter.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    zerg rush wrote: »
    What's odder to me is the lack of black characters.

Isn't Ryze black?

I always thought his facial features and bone structure was distinctly African American. For some reason, I mentally imagine him as Kanye West.

I blame surreality.

But seriously, my runepage and tree for him are both labeled KANYE

This discussion has been closed.