As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Obama Administration: Re-Elected! 332-206 (Probably)

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    You know what we need to do, is get Moonbase Gingrich going and just have the largest skyscraper on the moon.

So a two-story structure?

This is America, we can make anything that is mediocre at best appear to be the greatest thing in the world

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    You know what we need to do, is get Moonbase Gingrich going and just have the largest skyscraper on the moon.

So something with four walls, a roof, and a door?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The answer is simple: Gingrich commissions locking the Earth into synchronous orbit, and then a space elevator to link them.

The space guys and the tall-ass building guys will both be pleased. And no other country will be able to do the same without an act of war.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shadowen wrote: »

How tall is the LEM platform?

fugacity on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    fugacity wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

How tall is the LEM platform?

Based on the ones I've seen in museums, I think it's ~5 or 6 feet tall.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    dojango wrote: »
    Squigie wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Obama is that guy. His erection is Freedom Tower.

That building is a disgrace. It'll only be the third tallest in the world, and that's counting the pointy bit on top. It's roof is actually lower than the Sears Tower. How can we compete with China when we can't even compete with Dubai?

There was a time when America took dick measuring seriously. There was time when we had ambition. 1776 feet? It should be 1776 stories! I should be able to drop a penny off the roof and have it burn up on re-entry.

If Obama does not publicly denounce this national embarrassment I'm not voting for him.

Man I wish we had the fiscal irresponsibility to get caught up in a massive dick waving contest over supertall buildings. Designing an insanely tall skyscraper in the UAE was the coolest project I've ever worked on.

isn't Mecca gonna build an even bigger tower than the one in Dubai? we're really falling behind in the skyscraper waving race. I know most of our major cities have a big office space surplus, but we can fill the space with corn or something until then.

e: ah, Mecca's is still 800 feet shorter than the one in Dubai. we need to do something to catch up, and quick.

I think I just solved the economy:

Government encourages building giant buildings by incentivising design competitions for the worlds tallest buildings. This will lead to a growth of construction and architectural firms and theyll need support staff and office space thus filling up some of the unused office space, they'll also need lawyers so theres more people employed, and Im sure people will get hurt so theres insurance and medical professionals and then we'll just keep building taller and taller buildings! Its skyscrapers all the way up!

EDIT: Moonscrapers could work, if you hate America and dont mind giving American jobs to the Moon Men.

emp123 on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Chinese activist probably handed back over to the Commies

Don't you dare fucking do this, Hillary. Don't you dare. The Chinese are not our friends. They aren't happy to see us. They're not going to give anything in return for Mr. Chen and his family being sent to some hellhole out in the Gobi. The Chinese government are a bunch of thugs, lowlifes, and thieves masquerading as politicos, and we should be taking every opportunity to piss in their cheerios as often as possible. This is a great opportunity to do so. And remember, organ harvesting? Death vans? Ethnic cleansing of Tibet? They aren't the good guys, and there is nothing to be admired about the China of today.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Chinese activist probably handed back over to the Commies

Don't you dare fucking do this, Hillary. Don't you dare. The Chinese are not our friends. They aren't happy to see us. They're not going to give anything in return for Mr. Chen and his family being sent to some hellhole out in the Gobi. The Chinese government are a bunch of thugs, lowlifes, and thieves masquerading as politicos, and we should be taking every opportunity to piss in their cheerios as often as possible. This is a great opportunity to do so. And remember, organ harvesting? Death vans? Ethnic cleansing of Tibet? They aren't the good guys, and there is nothing to be admired about the China of today.

One of the more perceptive articles I saw this morning or last night was that the Chinese still have the guy's wife and kids, and have a record of using that fact. If they didn't, I'm pretty sure Obama would have been trying to convince everyone that the activist had somehow fled straight to Taiwan and had never even seen the outside of the US embassy.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bagginses wrote: »
    One of the more perceptive articles I saw this morning or last night was that the Chinese still have the guy's wife and kids, and have a record of using that fact. If they didn't, I'm pretty sure Obama would have been trying to convince everyone that the activist had somehow fled straight to Taiwan and had never even seen the outside of the US embassy.

Oh definitely. It puts us in a really shit position though. Send the guy back to prison and his family? Or let him go to the U.S. and bargain with China for his family? China'll love that.

edit- especially since they've been bitching about the amount of nukes their two main rivals have (US and Russia). Haha no, China, we're not going to just decrease the amount of nuclear weapons we have just because you say so. You haven't had a good track record on not being jerks lately.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Oh definitely. It puts us in a really shit position though. Send the guy back to prison and his family? Or let him go to the U.S. and bargain with China for his family? China'll love that.

edit- especially since they've been bitching about the amount of nukes their two main rivals have (US and Russia). Haha no, China, we're not going to just decrease the amount of nuclear weapons we have just because you say so. You haven't had a good track record on not being jerks lately.

Actually, China would love it if he would leave. Hell, they probably would be more than happy to let him take his family if he agrees to go away:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2012/05/chen_guangcheng_and_exile_why_china_is_desperate_to_get_him_out_of_the_country_.html

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure he's never seen the outside of the US embassy. So there's that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure he's never seen the outside of the US embassy. So there's that.

I'm pretty sure he's never seen the outside of anything.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he's never seen the outside of anything.

He's probably been around more Americans than he can shake a stick at, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

:^:

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Clintons main failing was that he didn't push the country far enough fast enough, it was a question of degrees. He managed to push down the debt, and left us with a solid economic legacy but if he had done more we'd be in a better situation today. Of course, most of our situation today is the fault of Bush for doing the opposite of Clinton and making everything worse, but if Clinton had done more we'd be better off.

He was a great president, and a real positive presence for the US on the world stage.
    Squigie wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Obama is that guy. His erection is Freedom Tower.

That building is a disgrace. It'll only be the third tallest in the world, and that's counting the pointy bit on top. It's roof is actually lower than the Sears Tower. How can we compete with China when we can't even compete with Dubai?

There was a time when America took dick measuring seriously. There was time when we had ambition. 1776 feet? It should be 1776 stories! I should be able to drop a penny off the roof and have it burn up on re-entry.

If Obama does not publicly denounce this national embarrassment I'm not voting for him.

I do wish that they had actually put the worlds tallest building there. While we have no need for it, it just seems absurd that it ISN'T. Even by some absurd contrivance like installing a 700 foot flagpole or something

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I disagree. Bush messed everything up, but it's all Clinton's fault because he didn't do more?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Clinton set a lot of dumb shit in motion that came to a head combined with the dumb shit Bush did.

The past is not a kinder country.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I do disagree with NAFTA. I think all this free trade has done more to enrich the top 1% and destroy the middle class than anything else has. But it was already in motion before then. You also have to remember that Clinton had a Republican Congress almost the entire time he was president. So most of the policy was enacted by them. Really, it's a wonder that he was able to accomplich anything.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

We are all going to hell.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Look, Bill Clinton was an all right president who could have been a great president but he blew good will and got too caught up in his own pants. He's redeemed himself pretty well since leaving office, so I respect the guy a lot, but there's no need to go all apologist about the 90s just because of the magnificent amount of chunks the 00s blew.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

We are all going to hell.

Honestly I give these blind jokes a C average, at best.

• Options
    Apologist?

I hate that term. It's basically a way to, in one word, disregard everything the other person says.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant no offense, I just don't buy that Clinton was anything other than an average president. Even with the Republican house the general feeling is that he blew a lot of potential.

He's pretty much won all the good will back though since he left office.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I disagree. Bush messed everything up, but it's all Clinton's fault because he didn't do more?

CFVQT.jpg

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I do disagree with NAFTA. I think all this free trade has done more to enrich the top 1% and destroy the middle class than anything else has. But it was already in motion before then. You also have to remember that Clinton had a Republican Congress almost the entire time he was president. So most of the policy was enacted by them. Really, it's a wonder that he was able to accomplich anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7QJu_Wsbk

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Toby is... somewhat wrong. And by somewhat, I mean disastrously, horribly wrong. Look up Germany biggest trade partners, 1935-1942.

EDIT: I'm still a free trader, actually, but that's a dumb reason.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Honestly, the second the Soviet Union fell, the globalization cat clawed its way out of the bag. NAFTA was just the icing on the coffin.

EDIT: And for the record, free trade does not stop wars. Just ask the people of Iraq.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Apologist?

I hate that term. It's basically a way to, in one word, disregard everything the other person says.
    That's not really what it means. It's more like "defender". People misuse it a lot though.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Honestly, the second the Soviet Union fell, the globalization cat clawed its way out of the bag. NAFTA was just the icing on the coffin.

EDIT: And for the record, free trade does not stop wars. Just ask the people of Iraq.

it mostly stops wars that the US isn't directly involved in either starting or egging on from the sidelines

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    And for the record, free trade does not stop wars. Just ask the people of Iraq.

Iraq (both times) is one of the few exceptions I can think of to the rule that post-Washington Consensus there've been no wars between states centered around resource aquisition.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    And for the record, free trade does not stop wars. Just ask the people of Iraq.

Iraq (both times) is one of the few exceptions I can think of to the rule that post-Washington Consensus there've been no wars between states centered around resource aquisition.

That would seem more like correlation than causation, though. Chances are that you aren't going to enter into a free-trade agreement with someone who's militarily hostile (or possibly hostile) towards you.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

If you are trading with a country, it's likely they have something you want, whereas if you do no trade why would you invade? Free trade is better for peace than trade with tough tarifs though because it lowers the incentive to invade and take the resources directly (because they would arguably become more expensive due to the cost of war and rebuilding)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Well this is a step in the right direction but it doesn't seem like a very powerful one.
    ...but policy analyst Amy Mall noted that disclosure would only be required after fracking takes place
    ...In a conference call with reporters, Salazar said the disclosure after drilling, not before, was deliberate. "Requiring the information before the fracking occurred would have caused, in our view, delays that were not necessary," he said.

"Oh btw here is a list of chemicals your water table is now poisoned with."

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    I think the idea is once you know, you'll be pissed.

It's easy to not care if you're being told that there's nothing there go back to sleep.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I'm still flabbergasted that you can pump chemicals into the ground and NOT be required to disclose them to the EPA and the public. Isn't that kind of what the EPA is for, to regulate industries that want to put things into the environment?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Look, regulations like that kill jobs. Why do you hate America?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I think the idea is once you know, you'll be pissed.

It's easy to not care if you're being told that there's nothing there go back to sleep.

It would be nice if they gave the list of chemicals before starting their operations so locals could make an informed decision about selling their mineral/resource rights. Its not very helpful when they give you a list of chemicals after the fact that explain why your land is now worthless.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Well call me a liberal (go ahead, I won't mind), but when I have the choice of killing people or killing jobs, I'll almost always choose to kill jobs. Also, if we got rid of all the regulations, man so many people at the EPA would be out of a job.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Look, regulations like that kill jobs. Why do you hate America?

Also, look at all the chemicals that they're giving you for free? They really ought to charge a fee!

This discussion has been closed.