As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ok that was pretty amazing seeing all those guys in one movie. Bruce driving Arnie through a warzone in a smart car? I am in.

Anyone want to bet that the third movie features Mel Gibson as the bad guy with Steven Seagal as his right hand?

You have to think Seagal is sitting home right now with his wig just spinning on his head that he didn't get in on this.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Okay, how the fuck do I make that embed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQf3YP8p85I

You only need the youtube url plus /watch?v=XQf3YP8p85I anything else doesn't work

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Fixed, and reposting my spoiler since it bumped the page
    based on the scene where they're all standing depressed in winter coats talking about revenge, coupled with the fact that crews isnt in that trailer at all, he dies...

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    If the second is anything like the first, we probably just saw all the good action scenes in that trailer.

50433.png?1708759015
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, they just need Seagal and Gibson now. Too bad Van Damme will probably get killed off, need him around for 3!

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, they just need Seagal and Gibson now. Too bad Van Damme will probably get killed off, need him around for 3!

Time has not been kind to Seagal. Gibson may work, though they may get some backlash from letting him appear.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Time has not been kind to Seagal. Gibson may work, though they may get some backlash from letting him appear.

In a year when they make it it will be time for image rehab again.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Fixed, and reposting my spoiler since it bumped the page
    based on the scene where they're all standing depressed in winter coats talking about revenge, coupled with the fact that crews isnt in that trailer at all, he dies...
    I think I saw him... he just gets tucked into the back of scenes and possibly that tank

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does a movie like expendables really warrant spoilers? Its not like it actually has a plot or will be ruined by any advanced information.

Things will explode and people will be shot, kicked, and punched.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Does a movie like expendables really warrant spoilers? Its not like it actually has a plot or will be ruined by any advanced information.

Things will explode and people will be shot, kicked, and punched., knifed, speared, run over, thrown off buildings, thrown off cliffs, thrown off railing, squashed by large mammals, squashed by falling rocks, burned, frozen, melted in acid, burned in lava, burned in molten steel, fall in spike pits, poisoned by 1,000 year old darts, beheaded, drawn and quartered, bisected, dissected, trisected, laser'd, arrow'd, grenade'd, and comically left alive at the end of this entire sequence only to be killed by frozen in liquid nitrogen while proclaiming victory over fate.

FTFY

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aw, you guys just ruined the movie. :(

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    [
    God I would kill for a film that creates a imaginative, unique and plausible alien world and just fucking explores it. No "alien monster is going to eat us," no "dances with smurfs," no "we're stranded and need to find a way off the planet."

Just a group of explorers, exploring a single, well thought out, alien planet.

And no humanoid aliens dammit! You can give them two arms, two legs and a head, but I draw the line there: if it looks more human than the Prawns from District 9, you're FIRED!

So you want a film version of Wayne Barlowe's Expedition?

'Cause that sounds awesome, but it would probably work better as a miniseries.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    holy fucking jesus that expendables trailer

IM BACK

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    New Amazing Spider-Man trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqifgC_Kg2A

The more I see of this movie the more and less I actually want to see it. It's weird.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2012
    I dunno, the part where he mocked the car thief was really good Spidey - some of the closest to the ass he tends to act like in the comics.

Otherwise, it feels amazingly unneeded - we did his origin story just ten years ago, and rather well. It had Macho Man and everything! The retread just feels too soon.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »
    I dunno, the part where he mocked the car thief was really good Spidey - some of the closest to the ass he tends to act like in the comics.

Otherwise, it feels amazingly unneeded - we did his origin story just ten years ago, and rather well. It had Macho Man and everything! The retread just feels too soon.

That's what happens when you sign a contract that only lets you keep the rights if you always have a movie in production, and then lose your director, main actor and main actress after the trilogy finishes.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I dunno, looks like they could a lot worse. The parents angle was never explored in the first series, and starting with Gwen is a better move than just jumping straight to MJ.

Plus who doesn't want to see Peter Parker blow a wad in his own face.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I said it in the comics forum, but this feels like an inverse Raimi situation. Spidey looks pretty spot on, but everything about Peter looks meh.

Kyougu on
    New Spidey looks kind of lousy, especially when competing with the likes of Avengers and TDKR

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Man, I personally am really excited for new Spiderman. I liked the first, I did, but this looks less...I dunno, silly? Though, I will say when I first saw the trailer for it in theaters the first-person swinging sequences kind of gave me a bit of vertigo.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I am a HUGE Spiderman fan. Have been for many years. I'm old. I stopped reading comics somewhere in the early/mid 90's. That being said, I do not remember any of the Parent stuff this trailer hints at. I enjoyed the Raimi ones quite a bit. I didn't like the non-mechanical web shooters though, so I'm glad that they are back in this new one. Spidey seems nice and cocky and talks smack the way he should, but... Something about this movie is telling me not to go see it. Gwen Stacey is a huge plot point in Spidey's life, and I am curious how true to the comics it will play out though?

50433.png?1708759015
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    New Spidey looks kind of lousy, especially when competing with the likes of Avengers and TDKR

To be fair almost every other film does, as well. That's how tough they will be to beat in quality and financial success.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Spidey looks good to me. I like the mechanical web shooters being back. I think he seems the right type of a jack ass. I am glad the Lizard is the bad guy, he is an interesting adversary for Spidey. Also glad they are using Gwen and just ignoring MJ atm since that is how it was in the comics. I am not sure it will stand up to TDKR or Avengers but it looks like a fun movie with the bad luck of coming out in the year of possibly some of the best super hero movies in ages.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Doc Connors doesn't seem very sympathetic. In fact, he seems like a huge dick.

Spider-man trailer spoilers:
    Some scenes in the trailer where Connors' is acting kinda sinister makes me think the Lizard persona has taken over his human side. In that case Connors' being a dick is in character, just not his own.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular

Spider-man trailer spoilers:
    Some scenes in the trailer where Connors' is acting kinda sinister makes me think the Lizard persona has taken over his human side. In that case Connors' being a dick is in character, just not his own.

Yeah, you might be right. We'll just have to see.

Rest of the movie looks fine. Kinda a bit too neon with all the NYC building lights.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    As long as the Lizard isn't taken out by a barrage of patriotic (literal) garbage, it'll be a step up.

I think what strikes me as lousy about the new Spiderman trailer is that the CG doesn't really seem any better than it did in Spiderman 1, also the lack of daylight webswinging.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    [
    God I would kill for a film that creates a imaginative, unique and plausible alien world and just fucking explores it. No "alien monster is going to eat us," no "dances with smurfs," no "we're stranded and need to find a way off the planet."

And no humanoid aliens dammit! You can give them two arms, two legs and a head, but I draw the line there: if it looks more human than the Prawns from District 9, you're FIRED!

Discovery Channel basically did this, documentary-style, under the title Alien Planet. I remember it being pretty disappointing.

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the new Spider-man because Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone is a huge upgrade from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

fortis wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited for the new Spider-man because Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone is a huge upgrade from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Is Garfield a good actor? The trailers look promising but I haven't seen any prior work he's done.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it would be silly to expect the new Spiderman movie to do better then the debut of the original.

That thing was practically a cultural phenomenon when it came out, and sort of set the tone for the rest of the action/superhero films for the decade. This movie doesn't really seem to channel the same bottled-lightning effect. I'm sure it'll do decent, but with The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers coming out it's going to get floored pretty quickly.

EDIT: On a personal note I thought Toby Macguire was the perfect Peter Parker. This new guy doesn't even come close.

Godfather on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Why are people happy about mechanical web shooters? The organic web-shooters are waaaaay more sensible. A preference for mechanical is a preference for comic-book tomfoolery and purposeless slavery to the source material..

Ugh, I hated Maguire.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Why are people happy about mechanical web shooters? The organic web-shooters are waaaaay more sensible. A preference for mechanical is a preference for comic-book tomfoolery and purposeless slavery to the source material..

I think that the intention was that it's a showcase about how smart Parker is. He invented his own little web shooter dealies.

I don't personally care one way or the other. I don't think that organic is better, I don't think that mechanical is better. I think that the mechanical ones in the trailer look awesome.

Also, it's weird but I actually kind of like the Lizard as a bad guy more from that trailer. I've always thought that he was kind of a dumb bad guy, but I think it'll actually end up being pretty cool.

Also loved the mocking of the car thief.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    For me, the web shooters are how I read the comics and is how Spiderman shoots webs. I know it makes no difference, but it's how I learned about Spidey and I like it that way.

Lizard is an awesome Villian, and I hope they keep the 2 sides of the Doctor separate.

50433.png?1708759015
    edited May 2012
    Behemoth wrote: »
    [

Discovery Channel basically did this, documentary-style, under the title Alien Planet. I remember it being pretty disappointing.
    I have that on DVD. It would be a lot better if the didn't include the commercial intros and outros on the fucking DVD. I don't need the documentary to stop every ten minutes to tell me what's about to happen followed by what just happened.

Edit: also I'm pretty sure alien planet was based on the book expedition book that was linked earlier.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited May 2012
    Mechanical web shooters leave me with just one burning question.

Why the fuck doesn't Peter just start a company, sell the web material and use large chunks of the money he makes to donate to charities? He could still Spider-Man it up, but if great power truly means great responsibility, then Peter has the responsibilty to use his intellect to provide the world a cheap, super strong material that can benefit humanity in dozens of ways, in addition to being able to generate tons of money for charity. On top of enabling his vigilante activities.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Mechanical web shooters leave me with just one burning question.

Why the fuck doesn't Peter just start a company, sell the web material and use large chunks of the money he makes to donate to charities? He could still Spider-Man it up, but if great power truly means great responsibility, then Peter has the responsibilty to use his intellect to provide the world a cheap, super strong material that can benefit humanity in dozens of ways, in addition to being able to generate tons of money for charity. On top of enabling his vigilante activities.

That goes right into the FF logic. It was shown at one point that Reed noticed that they were in the red one month and invented a new type of cell phone for quick cash. Yet he has an entire building of advance robotics, matter transporters, time machines, and enough defense equipment to make anyone in the military jizz in their pants. Reed can cure cancer 20 times over and yet most of it he keeps to prevent Doom from doing the Charleston into the Baxter Building.

Yeah, but Reed doesn't have the dying words of his uncle to live by. I just have trouble with spidey's catchphrase conflicting with the fact that he's pretty much hoarding a miracle substance.

This discussion has been closed.