As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    again? ouch! It won't stop breaking today. ALso Sniper Elite V2 unlocked for Euro and Aussie folk, get in there and pop heads.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    By grind heavy, I meant more that the game felt like one huge grind rather than that you needed to repeatedly play levels for XP & money. It felt like a really bad version of Diablo with a clunky tower defense element tacked on. I just didn't find it fun at all (which is a shame because RPGs and tower defense games are two of my favorite genres).
    Ah. Well, thank you for clarifying that. If it doesn't "click", then there's nothing that can be done, really. I find that a Diablo-like has to lock into place in my mind like a square peg in a square hole, which the game clearly has done for me and not for you. The same probably goes for Dungeon Defenders for most people.

My preferred "genre" of video games is 4-6 player co-op (which isn't really a genre, I realize), because I have a few close friends with whom I enjoy playing games on the Internet. Dungeon Defenders is just one in a long list of co-op games that I play regularly (Borderlands, Sanctum, Killing Floor, etc.). It really is a good time with 4 people who are hanging out, but then again, most co-op games are regardless of quality due to the company.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I didn't much like DD either, but I was playing it for the Christmas achievement -- so any failing to give it a fair shot probably stems from that.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I really disliked DD. Clunky and very grind-heavy.

Sanctum & OMD are both good though. Sanctum is much more stat-heavy (which I appreciate) whereas OMD is more of a simple TD combined with some light shooting & puzzle creation (i.e. your traps).
    There is no grind to complete all of the content in Dungeon Defenders. You can dump all of your stats in the wrong places, and if you just pick up the gear on the ground that's green (which the game thinks is an upgrade), you'll complete the campaign on Medium difficulty easily (possibly lose in the 2nd mission at the end when first starting, but everyone does. EVERYONE.), and then be able to complete any of the challenges on Easy after completing the campaign.

It's only grind-heavy if you choose to jump down the rabbit hole and pre-order the Eternia Shards campaign (which is 3 out of 4 chapters done) and gain access to the Nightmare content. Just like 90% of the folks who play any game probably won't beat those games on the highest difficulty, I don't suspect most people will do this unless they REALLY like the game. It represents the highest and most difficult challenges the game has to offer, and THAT involves grinding. It's mostly enjoyable grinding, though, although Trendy Entertainment seems to be really bad when it comes to figuring out what is actually fun (The Halloween bonus content) and what is terrible (Sky O Love, collecting 36 fucking eggs for Easter).

The game does feel a bit clunky, especially if played on a controller. Part of the problem is creating a control scheme that works as well on a console (PS3 and 360) and a controller, as well as PC and mouse + keyboard (AND Android/iPhone touch screen), and this compromise largely did not work. The summoning of towers in a tiny ring around your character feels restrictive. The action, though, is third-person shooter.

By grind heavy, I meant more that the game felt like one huge grind rather than that you needed to repeatedly play levels for XP & money. It felt like a really bad version of Diablo with a clunky tower defense element tacked on. I just didn't find it fun at all (which is a shame because RPGs and tower defense games are two of my favorite genres).

This was my initial reaction when it was released and I tried the demo. It felt incredibly slow and plodding and clunky. I had just played OMD and it was infinitely more accessable and fun out of the box.

I had written off DD until it was gifted to me later and I decided to give it another shot and played some games with friends and some PA'ers and found out that is what made the game fun. It is still super slow to start out and I'd recommend anyone starting new to get powered up to the 30's or so (can be done in a single game with help, pretty easily). You don't really lose anything by not playing the early grindy painfully slow levels, and you can jump into the interesting stuff.

Long story short, playing with others, imo, is where the game is at. At higher levels you can still have fun solo, but not as much as with people.

Granted I haven't played in awhile, and despite buying the Shards DLC I haven't really touched them; no time lately. But sometime I'll get back in there.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    According to the Amazon guy that posts on CAG, some sweet Double Fine deals coming after the weekend.

Next Week's Deal of the Week - 5/6-5/12: All require Steam (we will give you a Steam code)

Psychonauts - $1.99 (Sunday only) - $3.99 (Monday - Saturday)
    Costume Quest - $2.99
    Stacking - $7.49
    "Oh So Fine" Bundle (all 3 games) - $9.99

Stacking's price is kinda meh, but that bundle if you don't own the games is a great deal, especially 2 dollar psychonauts.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've never played Psychonauts so.. hrm.. maybe.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Ah. Well, thank you for clarifying that. If it doesn't "click", then there's nothing that can be done, really. I find that a Diablo-like has to lock into place in my mind like a square peg in a square hole, which the game clearly has done for me and not for you. The same probably goes for Dungeon Defenders for most people.

My preferred "genre" of video games is 4-6 player co-op (which isn't really a genre, I realize), because I have a few close friends with whom I enjoy playing games on the Internet. Dungeon Defenders is just one in a long list of co-op games that I play regularly (Borderlands, Sanctum, Killing Floor, etc.). It really is a good time with 4 people who are hanging out, but then again, most co-op games are regardless of quality due to the company.

Yeah, I rarely play co-op. I've probably played spent more hours on L4D in solo mode than co-op.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    thejaxx wrote: »
    As my thank you gift to being welcomed into the group, I give you DCS A-10C Warthog. I know its not strictly a RPG, but who doesn't like blowing stuff up with one the meanest planes around?!

signature.png

Whoever wins this better not pussy out and learn how to start that bad boy.

Send me a PM if you want some help or would like someone to hop into a multiplayer session and learn you some stuff.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    According to the Amazon guy that posts on CAG, some sweet Double Fine deals coming after the weekend.

Next Week's Deal of the Week - 5/6-5/12: All require Steam (we will give you a Steam code)

Costume Quest - $2.99
    Stacking - $7.49

Stacking's price is kinda meh, but that bundle if you don't own the games is a great deal, especially 2 dollar psychonauts.

I would say that Stacking's price is better than "meh", considering what the base game + DLC costs on a console.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    As my thank you gift to being welcomed into the group, I give you DCS A-10C Warthog. I know its not strictly a RPG, but who doesn't like blowing stuff up with one the meanest planes around?!

signature.png

Send me a PM if you want some help or would like someone to hop into a multiplayer session and learn you some stuff.

Oh you better believe me if I win this I'm going to master that thing! I loved A-10 Tank Killer back in the day. A-10 is still one of my favorite aircraft.

I don't know what's causing it, but for some reason whenever I'm downloading a game on my laptop it loses internet connection. Then a few seconds later it kicks back on but Steam doesn't reconnect.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

signature.png

I have a Saitek X-52 that is in desperate need of a Sim worthy of its greatness, Fully intend to dive right in and get lost in start up sequences

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Costume Quest - $2.99
    Stacking - $7.49

The only game I don't own on the PC from that bundle is Stacking (I own it on PS3) and I'm still considering buying that bundle. I want to gift some Costume Quest to people because I love that game.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

signature.png

I would love to enter, but do not have a joystick worthy of the game. Classy Contest none the less!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    signature.png

From the latest indieroyale bundle, I already had it.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    so this week I became employed for the first time in 8 months.
    let's celebrate.
    signature.png
    and here's one from the warchest:
    signature.png
    also, I won a copy of the current indie gala, but I already had some of the games.
    like this one:
    signature.png
    or this one:
    89YHF-NZ0N7-RVJDH (it's A.R.E.S.)
    plus I still don't know if anyone ever claimed this:
    7VYZ6-WA6RX-29ANX (it's from an old gala bundle)
    they're gone

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    let's celebrate.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    also, I won a copy of the current indie gala, but I already had some of the games.
    like this one:
    signature.png
    or this one:

That last one doesn't work. My curiosity got the best of me.

Also, thanks for the giveaways! Classy! And congrats on the new job!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Snagged A.R.E.S. Thank you, you are quite the gentleman to offer up such a great gaming bounty in celebration!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    let's celebrate.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    like this one:
    signature.png
    or this one:

Congrats on the Job, I'm hoping to share the same news soon.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting horrendous DL speeds right now? This SMNC update is taking forever.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah, my dl was slow for awhile. seems to be normal now though

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The Mac version of Dustforce is completely hosed (at least on 10.6.8), which makes me sad.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, the PC version of Dustforce was pretty hosed for the first couple weeks too.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Squeeeeee Arkham City.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Rather good deal on Renegade Ops over at Gamersgate right now: 5 bucks for the game, or 10 bucks for the 4 pack.

Single: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ROPS/renegade-ops?caff=3884871
    4-pack http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-ROPS4P/renegade-ops-four-pack-bundle?caff=3884871

Steamworks, so registers on Steam. DLC is also on sale.

I've read that the four pack includes the DLCs with the games, even though it isn't stated anywhere on the page or store. So each complete game is less than the cost of buying just the two DLCs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Weekend deals:
    Batman: Arkham City at 50% off for $14.99
    Sanctum has a free weekend, selling for 75% off at $2.49

Today's daily deal is Transformers: War for Cybertron at 75% off, bringing it down to $7.49

Hell yes! In-sta-buy, been waiting for Transformers to go 75% for so long.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Transformers isn't available in Aus? What? I can't think of anything that might be more objectionable about it than any other game.

• Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    let's celebrate.
    Congrats on your job. I've been curious about Dustforce for a while, but too timid to pull the trigger. Hope I win!

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Transformers isn't available in Aus? What? I can't think of anything that might be more objectionable about it than any other game.

Violence against robots is a big no-no, don'cha know? :P

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I bought Arkham City. I feel like I didn't have a choice in the matter. $15 is too little money for that game, I feel.

• Options
    Shogun 2 - Total War is gonna be $7.50 at gamersgate in about an hour.

which, if any, of the dlc is worth picking up? (they have it all for 50-60% off as well)

• Options
    edited May 2012

which, if any, of the dlc is worth picking up? (they have it all for 50-60% off as well)

Mostly they add specific Clans with special units and of course the Blood Pack acts blood. Rise of the Samurai is another Campaign to play through and I'm not sure what Dragon War Battle Pack is.

edit: Noticed that Dragon War Battle Pack was previously only for the Fall of the Samurai and is now able to be used in Shogun 2. It adds guns/ports/ships and stuff.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Oh, GFWL... I tried to login and was told that my account had been blocked. But hey, no problem! Just follow these steps, click on "Continue" and we'll sort it out. So, I click continue and the next page is b0rked and gives me a runtime error. Arggh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It looks like that dragon stuff is just combat scenarios?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

Fall of the Samurai is amazing, and in my opinion better than the original campaign.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I've been reading up on A Valley Without Wind since it's Metroidvania-ish (or so I've read) and I'm not sure I see the appeal.

This is what I can tell from what I've read/seen:

You have multiple characters to choose from with different starting stats (health, attack and max mana). Outside this (and their general appearance) they are the exact same. This is probably since if your current dude or dudette dies, all your current spells (and items?) are transferred to another person since your current person will permadie.

You can upgrade the 3 listed stats, but only 10 times total (combined, not each). Stat upgrades die with you. You can upgrade your spells (your only means of attack) via find gems and other specific items. Assumingly these spell levels transfer if you die. There are different elements (fire, ice, light, dark, and so on) to the spells with some being ranged and some being 'melee'.

So far, so.. ok. This is where the game goes from 'Eh, maybe' to 'Ugh, huh?' - Everything is created on the fly, which isn't bad, per se, but means you will see a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of generic cave system and broken down house place. In addition to being generic (which is understandable given the on the fly creation aspect) many of these places will be absolutely huge (dozens of rooms) with many rooms having literally nothing to them outside a few enemies. Sounds boring, but alright. Enemies just chase you around and wait to die and sound fairy generic as well.

Here's the thing: The game supposedly never ends. It's broken into zones (continents? something?) that once you level up and beat 'the big bad' a new one is created.. and then another one.. and another one.. etc. While I understand timesinks (hello WoW) the fact that is literally no ending is something I really don't miss from the days of Simcity. Not to mention from the videos I've seen you can literally spend multiple hours in a single 'dungeon' and come out with only a handful of items.

If anyone has actually played this to any degree and it turns out I'm understanding things wrong, feel free to correct me, but as it stands it sounds more like a concept demo than a game and at 15 dollars that's just.. no.

You could always download the demo from Arcen's website and see for yourself. But to address some of your concerns, things like the dungeons and other objectives are marked with a nice abstract mapping system. You can always take the most direct path to the loot, and systems are in place to facilitate fast travel. You can also spend a little extra time checking other areas in your location, and usually this will yield rewards in the form of resources of one kind or another too. But there is not really any worry of wandering aimlessly, hunting for what you need. The game is very good with providing you with the information you need to formulate and meet your goals. If you aren't the type of gamer who enjoys that sort of thing, defining your own goals and then using in game resources to determine the best way to attain them, then this game will not be for you. As far as the no ending thing goes, I see it as a kind of New Game+ when you open up a new continent. In a lot of ways you have to start over, and things will be harder on that continent. You'll need to formulate new spells, build up your settlement, find more survivors to activate Guardian Powers and all that. Also there are mysteries to be solved, like the nature of the cataclysm, and this is an aspect of the game that will see a lot of expansion. Expansion in general is what has me most excited about the game. They've built a really cool system that can be expanded at every level, and they plan on doing it. I expect quite a few ideas that were dropped in the beta, like some of the more strategy game styled concepts for activity on the overworld map will make a return in expansions and free DLC in regular updates.

Drake on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Suriko wrote: »

Fall of the Samurai is amazing, and in my opinion better than the original campaign.

Not knowing anything of the ways of Gamersgate:
    1. That sounds like a very good deal
    2. My desktop will not cope with it
    3. Can you share the key across platforms? Can a Gamersgate key be associated with a Steam account? It sounds like something Mrs. Croaker would enjoy, and her laptop *might* cope with it...

Also: It's £7.50 too. I hate regional pricing.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Is the Sanctum install not working for anyone else?

Maybe it's too early? I click on the "Click here" but there is no option to install the game for the weekend, it just reloads the store page.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

Not knowing anything of the ways of Gamersgate:
    1. That sounds like a very good deal
    2. My desktop will not cope with it
    3. Can you share the key across platforms? Can a Gamersgate key be associated with a Steam account? It sounds like something Mrs. Croaker would enjoy, and her laptop *might* cope with it...

Also: It's £7.50 too. I hate regional pricing.

3. Shogun 2 is Steamworks, so you get a steam key no matter where you buy it. The availability of a steam key is (almost) never based on where you buy from, but the game itself.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Looks like Company of Heroes 2 is on the way...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Hey folks, I have a Thief 2 code on GOG, by any chance anyone interested in trading me a Transformers for it? Hit me up on Steam if so.

Quoting this to see if any of the morning crowd is interested before the daily ends.

This discussion has been closed.