As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    this has also passed the point of a progress quest clone and can be it's own thing now

like maybe you have little things you can trade with friends as well

hmmm

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    just send me a check after it makes you a millionaire
    k?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    someone make this thing happen

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    exciting boarderlands news.

Action figures!

Featuring such stars as: Claptrap, and The A Bandit

Claptrap has sold out.

But tons of The A Bandit.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

Action figures!

my weaknesssssssss

• Options
    i would buy a Lilith and Brick action figure.

luckily i won't have to make good on that claim for some time.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have never played an mmo.

I think it's because I recognize grinding, dislike it, but do it anyway.

• Options

i just dropped thirty bucks on a toy and now i'm stalking another toy on amazon to make sure it doesn't sell out before i get next week's check

i am a manchild irl

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

i just dropped thirty bucks on a toy and now i'm stalking another toy on amazon to make sure it doesn't sell out before i get next week's check

i am a manchild irl

show me your toys.

• Options
    edited May 2012

i am a manchild irl

show me your toys.

it's a pretty small collection but for the right thing i make an exception

also this does not include the transformers taht are boxed up (click through for big)

ZoVMMl.jpg

the middle one, the flying one, is my newest addition, also note the two copies of the ultimate hitchhiker's guide underneath

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Neat!

Not the sorta deal i'm into but those look pretty cool.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I love the idea of MMOs but never play them for more than a couple weeks before burning out. Those couple weeks are pretty fun.

And if that phat MMO cash gets fed to Bethesda to make TESVI: Black Marsh, I'm all for it.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    grizzly gundam, you say

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    grizzly gundam, you say

found it in the back of a shelf at a rite aid in high school

Buttlord on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    uh I thought guild wars 2 was upsetting the mmo paradigm

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    someone make this thing happen

actually might

we'll be in touch

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i had a pretty dope toy collection in my teens

my favorite was a GI joe sized (not lil joes, the real joes) C-3P0 that came with a mesh bag, and you could remove his limbs/head and pile him into the bag. it was also cool because the paint job was realistic (he had the silver leg!) and it came with an awesome book all about C-3P0's creation for a new hope

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls MMO info
    -Releasing 2013 for PC/Mac
    -Developed by ZeniMax Online Studios
    -MMORPG
    -250 Person Team
    -Started development in 2007
    -"This time, saving the world from the awakening of ancient evil is only the beginning. What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesied heroes all think that they should be Emperor?"
    -The game is fully voice acted
    -Third person perspective
    -The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
    -Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
    -The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2
    -You can't be a werewolf or vampire
    -Crafting, alchemy, and soul stones will exist in an unrevealed form
    -There will be Daedric Princes like Molag Bal, the primary antagonist, and Vaermina, "whose sphere of influence extends to the dream world and the nightmares of mortals", along with some unnamed others
    -Constellations will be in the game a la Mundus stones (which work like guardian stones) and also give the answer to things like block puzzles where you step on the blocks in a certain order
    -Tons of towns ranging from Imperial City, Windhelm, Daggerfall, Sentinel, Mournhold, Ebonheart, Elden Root, Shornhelm, Evermore, Riften, and a lot more
    -Radiant AI will not be present
    -There will be mounts, but no flying mounts
    -Fast travel exists in the game in the form of wayshrines, which are also your ressurection point, and you can teleport from one wayshrine to any other wayshrine you have already visited
    -There most likely won't be dragons
    -Sneaking will be in the game, but how it is implemented is undecided
    -They're not talking about pets right now
    -There will be no player housing
    -There will be no NPC romances or marriage
    -"It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."
    -Features most of Tamriel including Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, and Elseweyr.
    -"Not all provinces are included in their entirety; Zenimax Online is keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content. Nonetheless, every major area is represented to some extent."
    -As an example, Windhelm is fully implemented, but Winterhold and the mages' college won't be in at launch.
    -There are three player factions:
    --Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans
    --Aldmeri Dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajit
    --Daggerfall Covenant: Bretons, Redguard, and Orcs

Full list in the link.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    if it actually is like the whole world that could be kinda cool

i'd play it when it went f2p/on a private server just to walk across the world

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    GW2 is still a theme park MMO, make no mistake. But it's very well executed on the PVE side. I didn't PVP at all this past weekend, but it sounds like they took all the good shit out of DaoC and other MMOs and went all Jurassic Park gene splicing on it.

Come to think of that describes the PVE too.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    theme park mmo?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    uh I thought guild wars 2 was upsetting the mmo paradigm

From what I've seen? Like, there's some interesting new stuff. The fact that all the sidequest just appear on your HUD when you get near the location and you get the reward in your mail upon completion (thus eliminating the need to run back and forth between quest-givers) is neat.

The world events--sidequests that require all PCs in the area to band together and can branch in different ways depending on success or failure--are a cool idea but a little clumsy in execution. Mobs will run at you in one big clump, which means the PCs on the front-line are totally fucked once they get in range; and with even a couple dozen PCs doing their thing, the massive amounts of particle effects and chaos makes it nearly impossible to figure out what's going on, much less form any sort of strategy beyond "mash all the hotkeys."

But it's still a pretty traditional MMO. Hell, the beta made it seem more like WoW and TOR than GW1, which was really jarring for me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    theme park mmo?

i assume it means something where you have to put a lot of time in to get a short amount of fun time

like long lines at a theme park

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    theme park mmo?

toontown.jpg

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls MMO info

Full list in the link.

right I gave it a chance but I'm already out

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    No permanent repercussions - something like Eve would not be in that class. Everyone gets to experience the same things (if they want! GW2 is pretty fluid)

All of the major ones - WoW, TOR, Rift - would fall into the "theme park" bucket.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    i want to play gw2 because it seems like i might actually get to Experience The Game what with the endgame starting at like

level 20

i hated wow partyl becuase i always hit a wall at 25ish and couldn't get past it

meanwhile expansions are coming out so by the time i hit one endgame there's a new one and so on and so on

• Options
    talking about theme parks made me realize i haven't been to one in a while

and then i realized that my dad couldn't handle the stimulation of a roller coaster anymore without having severe seizures

and now I am Sad

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    So is the WoD MMO going to allow players to become Princes or did I misread that

Because that seems like an interesting mechanic

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Elder Scrolls MMO info

Full list in the link.

Yup, it sounds aggressively mediocre and anti-elder scrolls. It's like @Antimatter in video game form.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    yeah, i was never excited about the elder scrolls mmo, cause i'm jaded, and then Artreus got excited and i told him it was goign to be shit, and then i was right.

Basically everyone should just trust my video game predictions slash opinions.

• Options
    no imperials because I guess the math didn't work out
    oh boy, block puzzles
    also man what the hell tamriel is this where nords, dunmer and argonians work together heh

okay I promise I'm done

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Well we haven't seen much at all of the "end" game, the beta has only lasted a weekend, fairly limited in scope. The game does delevel you and your gear so you go somewhere else and not faceroll it.

I think the dynamic events will clean up some shortly. I noticed Hullis's problems too, but I also had some very smooth public events - usually late at night when less people were engaged in the event. My guess is that their auto-scaling factor needs some tweaking.

Also you can dye your armors! There's apparently hundreds of dyes and each piece of armor has 2 or 3 dye zones. I love it, though my creations are either mundane or hideous.

• Options
    Elder Scrolls MMO info

Full list in the link.

Yup, it sounds aggressively mediocre and anti-elder scrolls. It's like @Antimatter in video game form.

boooooosh

• Options
    Well we haven't seen much at all of the "end" game, the beta has only lasted a weekend, fairly limited in scope. The game does delevel you and your gear so you go somewhere else and not faceroll it.

I think the dynamic events will clean up some shortly. I noticed Hullis's problems too, but I also had some very smooth public events - usually late at night when less people were engaged in the event. My guess is that their auto-scaling factor needs some tweaking.

Also you can dye your armors! There's apparently hundreds of dyes and each piece of armor has 2 or 3 dye zones. I love it, though my creations are either mundane or hideous.

i was talking more about how endgame isn't like

level 73

because ugh i hate that shit, i hate being locked out of a huge chunk of content until i catch up with a bunch of nerds

• Options
    will it allow you to wander around doing the same things over and over and give you no real reward for completing anything story related

wait am I mocking mmos or elder scrolls games shit I'm confused

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    the best part of skyrim was turning on godmode and playing as a nord and RPing as the reincarnation of thor

walking everywhere

smashing shit wiht a hammer

• Options
    I liked Skyrim while I was playing it

but more and more I was just like, this isn't a game, this is a cave simulator

AND NO I DO NOT FETCH THE MEAD FOR THE COMPANIONS I RUN THAT SHIT

AND STOP SAYING I SMELL LIKE A WET DOG I AM NOT A WEREWOLF ANYMORE

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

i was talking more about how endgame isn't like

level 73

because ugh i hate that shit, i hate being locked out of a huge chunk of content until i catch up with a bunch of nerds

Oh. Well yeah we haven't seen much at all past level 20 so it's hard to say. They seem to have a good design philosophy though, if they stick with it they'll meet with success.

Of course Age of Conan was really awesome for the first 20 levels too. Age of Conan didn't have World as Myth and Veretas working on it though!

This discussion has been closed.